About the Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR
A lens for all occasions
A lens for all occasions
For anyone who owns a Nikon DX-format DSLR, this compact 16-80mm lens is a go-to for just about any job. With a 35mm equivalent focal length of 24-120mm, it gives you a versatile zoom range that's perfect for shooting documentaries, special events, travel adventures, and pretty much anything you can think of. The wide end is great for expansive landscapes, street scenes and group photos, and the long end lets you capture tight portraits and close-ups of important details that help tell your story. The minimum focus distance of 1.2 feet stays consistent throughout the zoom range, so you'll get detailed close-ups at whatever focal length you choose. Such a powerful lens can really inspire you to take your photography further.
Some firsts for Nikon's DX lens lineup
In addition to being super-flexible, this lens boasts a couple of firsts in the DX world. Nikon's anti-reflective Nano Crystal Coat virtually eliminates ghosting and flare, for sharp photos with excellent contrast levels. An Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism adjusts the aperture electronically within the lens for consistent exposure during high-speed shooting when using auto exposure. All of the lens's features combined give you more precision and clarity in your photos than any other DX-format lens to date. And that's saying quite a lot.
A solid performer, even in low light
This lens's f/2.8-4 maximum aperture will make your subject pop against a soft background and readily lends itself to stunning images in low light. Built-in Vibration Reduction further improves the lens's low-light capability, allowing for a slower shutter with minimal image blur. A specialized Tripod VR mode counteracts vibration for crisp photos and steady movies when your camera is mounted on a tripod. The internal focusing design keeps the lens from changing length when you zoom, allowing for faster performance. And the Silent Wave Motor ensures fast, accurate focus for smooth movies and responsiveness during continuous shooting.
- AF-S DX 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR zoom lens
- compatible with Nikon DX-format digital SLR cameras
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 24-120mm with APS-C (Nikon DX format) sensor cameras
- built-in Vibration Reduction with tripod detection enables sharper shots at slower shutter speeds (up to four shutter speeds slower)
- Silent Wave Motor for smooth, quiet, and precise autofocus
- internal focusing design maintains overall lens length during focusing for greater consistency and faster performance
- manual and autofocus modes
- Super Integrated Coating on lens elements provides excellent color richness and contrast
- protective fluorine coating allows easier cleaning of water, dirt, and smudges
- anti-reflective Nano Crystal Coat reduces ghosting and flare
- minimum focus distance: 1.15'
- maximum aperture: f/2.8-4
- minimum aperture: f/22-32
- lens construction: 17 elements in 13 groups
- 4 ED (extra-low dispersion) and 3 aspherical lens elements for better sharpness and contrast
- 7-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism for accurate aperture blade control when using auto exposure during continuous shooting
- attachment/filter size: 72mm
- lens is 3-1/8" in diameter, 3-5/16" long
- weight: 16.1 oz.
- warranty: 5 years with Nikon registration
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- front and rear lens caps, bayonet lens hood
- MFR # 20055
What's in the box:
- Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR zoom lens
- LC-72 Front lens cap (installed)
- LF-4 rear lens cap (installed)
- HB-75 lens hood
- User's Manual
- Limited Warranty card
- 5 Years of Protection extended warranty card
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR
Overview: The Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR lens is a wide angle zoom lens. It is ideal for covering wide-angle to portrait views, and for general, everyday photography. The lens comes with the HB-75 lens hood to block unwanted light from entering the lens, causing lens flare.
DX-format Lens: This lens is optimized for use on Nikon DX-format cameras with their smaller image sensors. When used on a DX-format camera, the lens has a focal length range equivalent to Nikon's 24-120mm FX lens (35mm format), a popular pro lens. The lens can also be used on full-frame FX-format cameras, because the DX crop mode is automatically selected by the camera to avoid vignetting.
Fluorine Coating: The lens features a protective Fluorine coating which helps keep the lens clean. The coating makes is easier to wipe off dirt, smudges, and water from the front and rear lens elements.
Nikon Technologies: The Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm f/2.8-4E ED VR lens is equipped with the following Nikon technologies:
- Vibration Reduction: Vibration Reduction improves image stability by automatically compensating for camera shake. In this 16-80mm zoom lens, Vibration Reduction creates a stabilizing effect equivalent to a shutter speed increase of 4 stops (in Normal mode). This is especially helpful for taking blur-free hand-held images in low light. A switch on the side of the barrel lets you turn VR on or off. You can also select the Vibration Reduction mode: Normal (for enhanced vibration reduction when photographing stationary subjects) or Active (for reducing the effects of vibration when shooting from a moving vehicle or other situations with active camera motion).
- Aspherical Lens Elements: The lens contains Aspherical lens elements which contain non-spherical surfaces on either or both sides to eliminate certain types of lens aberration.
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism: An Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism delivers highly accurate aperture blade control when using auto exposure during continuous shooting. The electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism operates in precise sync with the camera's shutter to give you extraordinary exposure control during high-speed bursts. With conventional lenses, the diaphragm blades are operated mechanically.
- Extra-low Dispersion (ED) Glass: This lens contains Extra-low Dispersion optical glass developed by Nikon for optimum correction of chromatic aberrations.
- Internal Focusing (IF): This 16-80mm zoom lens features only internal lens elements that shift during focusing. Lenses with internal focusing do not change in size during AF operation, and are usually more compact and lightweight than other lenses, and are capable of closer focusing distances.
- Nano Crystal Coat: The Nikon Nano Crystal Coat is an anti-reflective lens coating that eliminates internal reflections across a wide range of wavelengths. The coating eliminates the ghosting effects caused by red light, and reduces ghost and flare caused by light entering the lens diagonally.
- Super Integrated Coating: The lens features a multi-layered coating of the optical elements.
- Silent Wave Motor (SWM): The exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM) enables fast, accurate, and quiet auto focus.
Focus Mode Switch: The Focus Mode switch on the barrel of the lens lets you switch between focus modes: M (manual) and M/A (autofocus with manual override). For Auto Focus mode, the camera must be in AF mode and the lens switch in the M/A position. In this mode, the lens will focus when the camera shutter is pressed halfway, however, you can override the focus by rotating the lens focus ring. You can easily switch to full manual focus by moving the Focus Mode switch to the M position (even if the camera is in AF mode). If the camera is in Manual Focus (MF) mode, autofocus will not operate.
Vignetting: If you use the camera's built-in flash unit, vignetting may occur at close focusing distances. "Vignetting" refers to shadows created where the end of the lens obscures the built-in flash. At the 16mm focal length, the minimum focusing distance is approximately 3'-4" for most DX-format cameras (5' with D300-series cameras). Use of the lens hood with the camera's built-in flash will cause more vignetting, requiring longer minimum focusing distances.
- Type of Lens: Type E AF-S DX lens with a built-in CPU
- Type of Mount: Nikon F-bayonet type
- Focal Length: 16-80mm
- Focal Length Scale: Marks provided at 16, 24, 35, 50, and 80mm
- Filter Diameter: 72mm
- Lens Construction: 17 elements in 13 groups (including 4 ED lens elements, 3 aspherical elements, and lens elements with Nano-Crystal or fluorine coatings)
- Closest Focus Distance: 1.15' (0.35m)
- Focusing Method: Nikon Internal Focusing (IF) system with AutoFocus controlled by a Silent Wave Motor, and a separate focus ring for manual focus
- Diaphragm: Rounded 7-blade
- Aperture Range: f/2.8 to f/22 at 16mm; f/4 to f/32 at 80mm
- Angle of View: 83°-20°
- Dimensions: Diameter=3.149" Length=3.685" (4.308" w/lens caps)
- Weight: 16.1 ounces
Warranty Terms: Nikon offers a 1-year parts and labor warranty on this lens. An additional 4-year Extended Service Coverage is available at no charge if you register the product with Nikon within 10 days of purchase.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?