About the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 105mm f/1.4E ED
This 105mm f/1.4 prime from Nikon is perfect for taking natural-looking portraits at a relaxed distance from your subject. With its large maximum aperture, this lens excels indoors and in low light. Nine circular aperture blades, plus an extra bit of telephoto compression, allow for gorgeous portraits where your subject pops against a smooth defocused background.
Ready for action
This lens is also great for capturing wildlife, sports, and action shots in the mid-distance. Nikon's Silent Wave Motor technology delivers quick, quiet focus, while the manual focus ring lets you override autofocus at any time to fine-tune your shot. An electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism ensures consistent exposure with high-speed continuous shooting so you can capture thrilling action sequences.
- AF-S Nikkor 105mm f/1.4E ED telephoto lens
- compatible with Nikon FX and DX digital SLR cameras
- effective focal length:
- 105mm with full-frame (FX) sensor Nikon cameras
- 157.5mm with APS-C (DX) sensor Nikon cameras
- manual and autofocus modes
- Silent Wave Motor for smooth, quiet, and precise autofocus
- internal focusing design maintains overall lens length during focusing for greater consistency and faster performance
- anti-reflective Nano Crystal Coat reduces ghosting and flare
- protective fluorine coating allows easier cleaning of water, dirt, and smudges
- minimum focus distance: 3.3 ft.
- minimum aperture: f/16
- rounded 9-blade diaphragm renders smoother, more natural background blur
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism for accurate aperture blade control when using auto exposure during continuous shooting
- rugged magnesium alloy body and weather sealing for moisture and dust resistance
- lens construction: 14 elements in 9 groups
- 3 ED (extra-low dispersion) lens elements for high resolution and contrast
- attachment/filter size: 82mm
- lens is 3-3/4" in diameter, 4-1/4" long
- weight: 34.8 oz.
- warranty: 5 years with product registration
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- front and rear lens caps
- lens hood
- soft lens case
- MFR # 20064
What's in the box:
- AF-S NIKKOR 105mm f/1.4E ED lens
- LC-82 Front lens cap (installed)
- LF-4 Rear lens cap (installed)
- HB-79 Lens hood
- CL-1218 Lens case
- User's Manual
- Warranty card
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 105mm f/1.4E ED reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 105mm f/1.4E ED
Overview: The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 105mm f/4E ED lens is a short telephoto prime lens. Because of its wide f/1.4 aperture, it is ideal for capturing portraits or indoor sports, especially in available light. This lens is optimized for use on Nikon FX-format cameras with full-frame image sensors. When mounted on DX-format (APS-C) cameras, the lens has an equivalent focal length of 158mm.
Lens Construction: The lens is made of 14 elements in 9 groups, including 3 ED lens elements, and lens elements with Nano-Crystal or fluorine coatings. The special elements have the following attributes:
- Extra-low Dispersion Glass (ED): The lens is constructed with Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass elements developed by Nikon and used with normal optical glass in telephoto lenses to obtain optimum correction of chromatic aberrations.
- Nano Crystal Coating (N): Nano-crystal coating is an anti-reflective coating that eliminates internal reflections, ghosting, and flare caused by light entering the lens diagonally.
- Internal Focusing (IF): The lens focuses by shifting the internal lens group, thus the physical lens length does not change during focusing.
Electromagnetic Diaphragm: This "E-type" lens features an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism in the lens barrel to provide highly accurate electronic diaphragm or aperture blade control during auto exposure during continuous shooting. Conventional D/G-type lenses have mechanical linkage levers to control the diaphragm blades.
Focusing Modes: The lens has a 2-way Focus Mode switch that lets you choose the way the lens focuses. If you select Manual Focus on the camera, you can focus manually using the lens focusing ring and the camera's electronic rangefinder. When the camera is switched to the AF (auto focus) mode, you can apply one of three lens focusing modes:
- Manual Priority (M/A): The lens will auto focus, but can be manually overridden by rotating the lens focus ring.
- Manual (M): Even though the camera is set to auto focus, the lens will focus manually with the electronic rangefinder when you rotate the focusing ring.
HB-79 Lens Hood: The AF-S Nikkor 105mm f/4E ED includes a bayonet lens hood (HB-79) that blocks stray light from entering the lens, causing glare or ghosting. When attached, the hood adds approximately 2-1/4" to the overall length of the lens. The hood can be reversed and mounted on the lens when not in use.
- Type of Lens: Type E AF-S lens with a built-in CPU
- Type of Mount: Nikon F-bayonet type
- Focal Length: 105mm
- Filter Diameter: 82mm screw type
- Lens Construction: 14 elements in 9 groups (including 3 ED lens elements, and lens elements with Nano-Crystal or fluorine coatings)
- Image Stabilization: No
- Minimum Focus Distance: 3.3' (1 meter) from focal plane
- Focusing Method: Nikon Internal Focusing (IF) System with autofocus controlled by a Silent Wave Motor and separate focus ring for manual focus
- Diaphragm: Rounded 9-blade
- Aperture Range: f/4 - f/16
- Angle of View:
- Nikon FX-format cameras: 23° 10'
- Nikon DX-format cameras: 15° 20'
- Dimensions: Diameter 3.717" Length 4.527" (5.11" with lens caps)
- Weight: 2 pounds 2.8 ounces
Warranty Terms: Nikon offers a 1-year parts and labor warranty on this lens. An additional 4-year Extended Service Coverage is available at no charge if you register the product with Nikon within 10 days of purchase.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?