About the Nikon AF-P Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR
Great photos are within easy reach
This 70-300mm lens from Nikon gives you the extra reach to capture distant action. It's also great for taking portraits and close-ups with dreamy compressed backgrounds. This fresh lens design includes a pulse motor for lightning-fast, whisper-quiet autofocus — great for shooting smooth video sequences. Built-in vibration reduction minimizes image blur and camera shake when shooting stills or video in low light without a tripod.
- AF-P 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR zoom lens
- compatible with Nikon FX and DX digital SLR cameras
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 105-450mm with APS-C (Nikon DX format) sensor cameras
- built-in Vibration Reduction enables sharper shots at slower shutter speeds
- pulse motor for ultra-fast, near-silent autofocus
- internal focusing design maintains overall lens length during focusing for greater consistency and faster performance
- ED (extra-low dispersion) lens element for high resolution and contrast
- minimum focus distance: 3.94'
- minimum aperture: f/32-40
- lens construction: 18 elements in 14 groups
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism for accurate aperture blade control when using auto exposure during continuous shooting
- attachment/filter size: 67mm
- includes front and rear lens caps, lens hood, and soft case
- lens is 3-3/16" in diameter, 5-3/4" long
- weight: 24 oz.
- warranty: 5 years with Nikon registration
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 20068
What's in the box:
- AF-P Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR zoom lens
- LC-67 Front lens cap (installed)
- LF-4 Rear lens cap (installed)
- HB-82 Lens hood (reverse installed)
- CL-1022 Soft lens case
- User's Manual
- Warranty card
More details on the Nikon AF-P Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR
Overview: The Nikon AF-P Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR lens is a telephoto zoom lens. It is ideal for capturing sports, wildlife, concerts, weddings, and portraits. The lens is part of Nikon's new "P" series of lenses, and uses a pulse motor for fast autofocus. This lens is optimized for use on Nikon FX-format cameras with full-frame image sensors. When mounted on DX-format (APS-C) cameras, the lens has an equivalent focal length of approximately 105-450mm.
Lens Construction: The lens is made of 18 elements in 14 groups, including 1 ED lens element. The Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass elements are developed by Nikon and used with normal optical glass in telephoto lenses to obtain optimum correction of chromatic aberrations.
Internal Focusing (IF): The lens focuses by shifting the internal lens group, thus the physical lens length does not change during focusing.
Electromagnetic Diaphragm: This "E-type" lens features an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism in the lens barrel to provide highly accurate electronic diaphragm or aperture blade control during auto exposure during continuous shooting. Conventional D/G-type lenses have mechanical linkage levers to control the diaphragm blades.
Focusing Modes: The lens has a 3-way Focus Mode switch that lets you choose the way the lens focuses. If you select Manual Focus on the camera, you can focus manually using the lens focusing ring and the camera's electronic rangefinder. When the camera is switched to the AF (auto focus) mode, you can apply one of three lens focusing modes:
- Manual Priority (M/A): The lens will auto focus, but can be manually overridden by rotating the lens focus ring.
- Autofocus Priority (A/M): The lens will auto focus, but you must rotate the focus ring farther before AF is overridden. This prevents the accidental changing of the focus caused by unintended operation of the focus ring.
- Manual (M): Even though the camera is set to auto focus, the lens will focus manually with the electronic rangefinder when you rotate the focusing ring.
Vibration Reduction (VR): Nikon's Vibration Reduction reduces blur caused by camera shake, allowing you to use shutter speeds 4.5 stops slower than what is determined by normal metering. The VR effect takes place when the shutter release button is pressed halfway. There are two levels of Vibration Reduction, Normal and Sport. Normal VR should be used when photographing stationary subjects. Sport VR is used for photographing moving subjects, particularly athletes and other fast-moving subjects.
HB-82 Lens Hood: The AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6E ED VR includes a bayonet lens hood (HB-82) that blocks stray light from entering the lens, causing glare or ghosting. When attached, the hood adds approximately 3" to the overall length of the lens. Because of its length, you may need to remove the hood when using the camera's built-in flash to prevent vignetting (shadows). The hood can be reversed and mounted on the lens when not in use.
- Type of Lens: Type E AF-P lens with a built-in CPU
- Type of Mount: Nikon F-bayonet type
- Focal Length: 70-300mm (105-450mm with APS-C image sensor cameras)
- Focal Length Scale: Graduated in millimeters: 70, 100, 135, 200, and 300mm
- Filter Diameter: 67mm screw type
- Lens Construction: 18 elements in 14 groups (including 1 ED lens element)
- Image Stabilization: Vibration Reduction (Normal and Sport) using Voice Coil Motors (VCMs)
- Minimum Focus Distance: 3.94' (1.2 meters) from focal plane
- Focusing Method: Nikon Internal Focusing (IF) System with autofocus controlled by a Stepping Motor and separate focus ring for manual focus
- Diaphragm: Rounded 9-blade with automatic electronic aperture control
- Aperture Range:
- f/4.5 - f/32 at 70mm focal length
- f/5.6 - f/40 at 300mm focal length
- Angle of View:
- Nikon FX-format cameras: 34°20' - 8°10'
- Nikon DX-format cameras: 22°50' - 5°20'
- Dimensions: Diameter 3.117" Length 6.064" (6.696" with lens caps)
- Weight: 24 ounces
Warranty Terms: Nikon offers a 1-year parts and labor warranty on this lens. An additional 4-year Extended Service Coverage is available at no charge if you register the product with Nikon within 10 days of purchase.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?