About the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.4E ED
Stretch your perspective
Whether you shoot dramatic landscape or architectural scenes, portraits or product photography, this versatile wide-angle lens is up for the job. For vivid sunrise or sunset shots, night scenes or indoor portraits, this fast prime lens shines in low light. Its f/1.4 maximum aperture makes your subject stand out against a dreamy background. Get in close for a detail shot of a single flower, then step back and capture the entire field. You'll end up with sharp, high-contrast images either way, thanks to this lens's superior optics and specialized coatings.
- AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.4E ED wide-angle lens
- compatible with Nikon FX and DX digital SLR cameras
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 42mm with APS-C (Nikon DX format) sensor cameras
- Silent Wave Motor for smooth, quiet, and precise autofocus
- Super Integrated Coating on lens elements provides excellent color richness and contrast
- rear focusing system for faster, smoother autofocus performance
- anti-reflective Nano Crystal Coat reduces ghosting and flare
- minimum focus distance: 11"
- minimum aperture: f/16
- lens construction: 14 elements in 11 groups
- 2 ED (extra-low dispersion) lens elements for high resolution and contrast
- 3 aspherical lens elements provide clear, accurate focus from one edge of the image to the other
- 9-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism for accurate aperture blade control when using auto exposure during continuous shooting
- includes lens hood, front and rear lens caps, and soft storage pouch
- attachment/filter size: 77mm
- lens is 3-5/16" in diameter, 4" long
- weight: 22.8 oz.
- warranty: 5 years with Nikon registration
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 20069
What's in the box:
- AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.4E ED lens
- LC-77 Front lens cap (installed)
- LF-4 Rear lens cap (installed)
- HB-83 Lens hood
- CL-1118 Soft lens case
- User's Manual
- Warranty card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.4E ED
Overview: The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.4E ED lens is a wide angle prime lens that is ideal for capturing wide landscapes and cityscapes, as well as closeups of flowers, jewelry, and food. The lens comes with the HB-83 lens hood and the CL-1118 soft storage pouch.
FX-format Lens: This lens is optimized for use on Nikon FX-format (full frame) cameras, but it is also compatible with Nikon's DX-format cameras. When used on a DX-format camera, such as the D3400, D5600, or D7500, the lens has an equivalent focal length of 42mm.
Nikon Technologies: The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.4E ED lens is equipped with the following Nikon technologies:
- Aspherical Lens Elements: The lens contains Aspherical lens elements which contain non-spherical surfaces on either or both sides to eliminate certain types of lens aberration.
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm: This "E-type" lens features an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism in the lens barrel to provide highly accurate electronic diaphragm or aperture blade control during auto exposure during continuous shooting. Conventional D/G-type lenses have mechanical linkage levers to control the diaphragm blades.
- Extra-low Dispersion (ED) Glass: This lens contains Extra-low Dispersion optical glass developed by Nikon for optimum correction of chromatic aberrations.
- Rear Focusing (RF): This 28mm lens features a system in which only the rear lens group moves during focusing, eliminating changes in the physical length of the lens during focusing, and enabling faster focusing.
- Nano Crystal Coat: The Nikon Nano Crystal Coat is an anti-reflective lens coating that eliminates internal reflections across a wide range of wavelengths. The coating eliminates the ghosting effects caused by red light, and reduces ghost and flare caused by light entering the lens diagonally.
- Super Integrated Coating (SIC): The lens features a multi-layered coating of the optical elements.
- Silent Wave Motor (SWM): The exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM) uses ultrasonic vibrations, instead of a gear system, to enable fast, accurate, and quiet auto focus.
Focus Mode Switch: The Focus Mode switch on the barrel of the lens lets you switch between focus modes: M (manual) and M/A (autofocus with manual override). For Auto Focus mode, the camera must be in AF mode and the lens switch in the M/A position. In this mode, the lens will focus when the camera shutter is pressed halfway, however, you can override the focus by rotating the lens focus ring. You can easily switch to full manual focus by moving the Focus Mode switch to the M position (even if the camera is in AF mode). If the camera is in Manual Focus (MF) mode, autofocus will not operate.
Vignetting: When using the camera's built-in flash, vignetting (shadows created where the end of the lens obscures the built-in flash) may occur on the cameras listed below. For these cameras, the minimum shooting distance when using the built-in flash should be 3 feet 4 inches (40").
- FX Format: D750, D700, D610, D600
- DX Format: D5600, D5500, D5300, D5200, D5100, D5000, D3400, D3300, D3200, D3100
- Type of Lens: FX lens with a built-in CPU
- Type of Mount: Nikon F-bayonet type
- Focal Length: 28mm (FX-format), 42mm (DX-format)
- Filter Diameter: 77mm
- Lens Construction: 14 elements in 11 groups (including 2 ED lens elements, 3 aspherical elements, and lens elements with Nano-Crystal or fluorine coatings)
- Closest Focus Distance: 11.04" (0.28m)
- Focusing Method: Nikon Rear Focusing (RF) system with AutoFocus controlled by a Silent Wave Motor, and a separate focus ring for manual focus
- Diaphragm: Rounded 9-blade
- Aperture Range: f/1.4 - f/16
- Angle of View: 75° (FX-format cameras), 53° (DX-format cameras)
- Dimensions: Diameter 3.244" Length 4.309" (4.901" w/lens caps)
- Weight: 22.8 ounces
Warranty Terms: Nikon offers a 1-year parts and labor warranty on this lens. An additional 4-year Extended Service Coverage is available at no charge if you register the product with Nikon within 10 days of purchase.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?