About the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR
Superb image quality from an ultra-versatile zoom
Nikon makes a number of high-quality zoom lenses for their esteemed lineup of DSLR cameras. But few rival the incredible image quality and versatility of the AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR.
This blistering-fast, image-stabilized lens covers telephoto territory between 120-300mm. It's an ideal choice for professional sports, wildlife, and event photographers who want to freeze action with impeccable focus, sharpness, and color accuracy — especially in low-light environments.
- telephoto zoom lens for Nikon FX- and DX-format DSLR cameras
- 120-300mm focal length with full-frame (FX-format) cameras
- 180-450mm effective focal length with APS-C (DX-format) cameras
- ideal for sports, wildlife, and event photography
- constant f/2.8 maximum aperture throughout the zoom range for outstanding low-light performance
- minimum aperture of f/22
- built-in Vibration Reduction enables sharper shots at slower shutter speeds compared to non-VR lenses (up to five shutter speeds slower)
- Silent Wave Motor for smooth, quiet, and precise autofocus
- autofocus can be overridden manually, with no time lag
- internal focusing design maintains overall lens length during focusing for greater consistency and faster performance
- Super Integrated Coating on lens elements provides excellent color richness and contrast
- anti-reflective Nano Crystal Coat reduces ghosting and flare
- anti-reflective ARNEO Coat to further reduce ghost and flare effects caused by stray light entering the lens vertically
- protective fluorine coating protects against water, dirt, and smudges
- dust- and water-resistant magnesium-alloy design
- lens construction: 25 elements in 19 groups
- 1 extra-low dispersion lens element for outstanding sharpness and contrast
- 2 fluorite lens elements for excellent balance and handling
- 9-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- 1 SR (Short-Wavelength Refractive) element for accurate color and reduced chromatic aberration
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism for accurate aperture blade control when using auto exposure during continuous shooting
- accepts 112mm screw-on filters
- includes front and rear lens caps, slip-on hood, lens strap, and lens case
- lens is 5-1/8" in diameter, and 12" long (without the lens hood)
- weight: 7.2 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 20088
What's in the box:
- AF-S Nikkor 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR (#20088)
- LC-K103 Front lens cap (installed)
- LF-4 Rear lens cap (installed)
- HK-41 Lens hood
- CL-L2 Lens case
- LN-2 Strap
- User's Manual
- Warranty card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR
Overview: The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR lens is a fast telephoto zoom lens that is ideal for sports photography, as well as for stunning portraits. It has a bright f/2.8 constant maximum aperture. The lens also includes Vibration Reduction to reduce blur at extreme zoom positions. The lens comes with an attached tripod collar, a slip-on lens cap and lens hood, an LN-2 lens strap, and the CL-L2 ballistic nylon soft lens case.
FX-format Lens: This lens is optimized for use on Nikon FX-format (full frame) cameras, but it is also compatible with Nikon's DX-format cameras. When used on a DX-format camera, such as the D5600, the lens has an equivalent focal length of 180-450mm.
Nikon Technologies: The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 120-300mm f/2.8E FL ED SR VR lens is equipped with the following Nikon technologies:
- Short-Wavelength Refractive Lens (SR): The lens features short-wavelength refractive lens elements that refract light with wavelengths shorter than that of blue. This makes the colors in your photos more accurate by achieving accurate chromatic aberration compensation.
- ARNEO Coat (ARN): Nikon's ARNEO is an anti-reflective coating, used along with the Nano Crystal Coat to further reduce ghosting and flaring caused by light entering the lens vertically. This makes your images more clear, even when the light source is within the frame.
- Vibration Reduction (VR): Vibration Reduction technology reduces blur caused by camera shake, which allows you to to use shutter speeds up to 4.0 stops slower than normal. The VR switch can be set to Normal (for stationary subjects) or Sport (for photographing athletes or other moving subjects). You can also turn off VR, if desired.
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism (E): The lens has an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism in the lens barrel to provide accurate aperture blade control during auto-exposure during continuous shooting. Conventional lenses (D/G types) have mechanical linkage levers to control the diaphragm blades.
- Extra-low Dispersion (ED) Glass: This lens contains Extra-low Dispersion optical glass developed by Nikon for optimum correction of chromatic aberrations.
- Internal Focusing (IF): The lens features a system in which only the internal lens group moves during focusing, eliminating changes in the physical length of the lens during auto focusing, and enabling closer focusing distances.
- Super Integrated Coating (SIC): The lens features a multi-layered coating of the optical elements.
- Silent Wave Motor (SWM): The exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM) uses ultrasonic vibrations, instead of a gear system, to enable fast, accurate, and quiet auto focus.
Lens Construction: The lens contains 25 elements in 19 groups, including 1 ED lens elements, 2 Fluorite elements, 1 SR lens element, and lens elements with anti-reflective Nano-Crystal and ARNEO Coatings. There are also 2 protective glass elements with a fluorine coating to repel dust, water droplets, grease, or dirt.
Filter Diameter: The Nikkor 120-300mm zoom lens will accept 112mm screw-on type filters.
Focus Mode Switch: The 3-way Focus Mode switch on the barrel of the lens lets you switch between focus modes: M (manual), A/M (autofocus with manual override and AF priority), and M/A (autofocus with manual override and manual priority). For Auto Focus mode, the camera must be in AF mode and the lens switch in the M/A or A/M position. In this mode, the lens will focus when the camera shutter is pressed halfway, however, you can override the focus by rotating the lens focus ring. In A/M mode, you must rotate the focus ring farther than in M/A to override autofocus. You can easily switch to full manual focus by moving the Focus Mode switch to the M position (even if the camera is in AF mode). If the camera is in Manual Focus (MF) mode, autofocus will not operate.
Focus Function Selector: The lens has four function buttons surrounding the end of the lens. You can select the function assigned to the four buttons on the Focus Function Selector. This 3-way switch allows you to select AF-L (focus lock), Memory Recall (for a set focus position), or AF-On (auto focusing start). The Memory Set button lets you save and recall frequently used focus positions. The assigned function can be performed by pressing any of the four function buttons.
Focus Limit Switch: The two-way Focus Limit switch determines the focus distance limits for autofocus. You can select Full to use the entire focus range, or ∞ (infinity)-6m if your subject will always be at least 6 meters (19.7') away.
Beep Sounds: The lens features an audible beep sound if a memory function (set or recall) is successful. There is a 2-way switch to toggle the beep function on or off.
Tripod Collar: The lens has an attached tripod collar for mounting the lens and camera. This provides much better balance, and takes pressure off of the camera's tripod socket. The tripod collar can be rotated to smoothly and easily switch between wide ("landscape") and tall ("portrait") orientations. There are markings every 90° to use as a guide.
Lens Hood: The slip-on HK-41 lens hood (included) blocks stray light from getting into the lens causing flare or ghosting. It also protects the front of the lens from direct contact, as well as keeping dirt, rain, and snow out. The lens hood has a locking screw that must be tightened when it is mounted on the lens. When in use, the lens hood adds approximately 4" to the overall length of the lens.
Optional Teleconverters: The zoom power of the AF-S Nikkor 120-300mm f/5.6E ED VR can be extended even further through the use of optional Nikon teleconverters. The lens is compatible with the TC-14E III, TC-17E II, and TC-20E III series teleconverters to extend the reach by 1.4x, 1.7x, or 2.0x, respectively.
- Type of Lens: Type E AF-S lens with a built-in CPU
- Type of Mount: Nikon F-bayonet type
- Focal Length: 120mm-300mm
- Zoom Ratio: 2.5x
- Filter Diameter: 112mm screw-on type
- Lens Construction: 25 elements in 19 groups (including 1 ED lens element, 2 Fluorite elements, 1 SR lens element, and lens elements with Nano-Crystal and ARNEO coatings, plus 2 protective glass elements with fluorine coating)
- Maximum Reproduction Ratio: 0.16x
- Closest Focus Distance: 6.6' (2.0m) at all zoom positions
- Focal Length Scale: graduated in millimeters: 120mm, 135mm, 150mm, 180mm, 200mm, 250mm, 300mm
- Focusing Method: Nikon Internal Focusing (IF) system with AutoFocus controlled by a Silent Wave Motor, and a separate focus ring for manual focus
- Diaphragm: Rounded 9-blade
- Aperture Range: f/2.8 to f/22mm
- Angle of View:
- FX-format cameras: 20°20' - 8°10'
- DX-format cameras: 13°20' - 5°20'
- Dimensions: Diameter 5.039", Length 12.125" (w/o lens caps)
- Weight: 7 pounds 2.6 ounces