It's worth noting that because wide-angle lenses can distort close-up subjects, they aren't the best choice for portraiture or headshots. A longer focal length is almost always preferred in those cases. If you're looking for a portrait lens for your Z Series mirrorless camera, I highly recommend the NIKKOR Z 85mm f/1.8 S.
About the Nikon NIKKOR Z 20mm f/1.8 S
Take beautiful pictures in low light
Take beautiful pictures in low light
I have a soft spot in my heart for wide-angle lenses. When I want to capture a glowing sunset — or take photos in tight spaces at an indoor event — a wide-angle lens is my go-to choice for getting great shots. The Nikon NIKKOR Z 20mm f/1.8 S combines a useful focal length with excellent low-light performance, making it an ideal lens for shooting landscapes, the night sky, architecture, and more.
A maximum aperture of f/1.8 makes this lens a great choice for shooting in low-light environments.
Premium construction for long-term ownership
When I invest in a new lens, I'm buying for the long haul. Build quality matters a great deal to me, and the NIKKOR Z 20mm f/1.8 S has it in spades. It's dust- and water-resistant, so you can use it outdoors with confidence.
Advanced design technologies, like Nikon's Super Integrated Coating and anti-reflective Nano Crystal Coat, ensure the glass elements perform at a high level and hold up over time. You'll be able to capture rich, vibrant images for years.
Is this lens right for you?
The NIKKOR Z 20mm f/1.8 S has a fixed focal length of 20mm, making it ideal for close-ups and detail shots. Keep in mind that this lens does not zoom, so you'll change your perspective and composition by physically moving closer to or farther away from your subject.
- 20mm ultra-wide-angle prime lens for Nikon Z Series full-frame mirrorless cameras
- 30mm effective focal length with APS-C (DX-format) cameras
- ideal for landscape, cityscape, architectural, and astrophotography
- f/1.8 maximum aperture for outstanding low-light performance
- nearly silent autofocus make it ideal for shooting video, including vlogging
- customizable control ring on lens barrel can be used for manual focusing (default), aperture control, or exposure compensation
- Super Integrated Coating on lens elements provides excellent color richness and contrast
- anti-reflective Nano Crystal Coat reduces ghosting and flare
- dust- and moisture-resistant design for shooting in adverse environments
- 5-axis in-camera image stabilization when used with Z Series cameras that feature in-camera vibration reduction
- lens construction: 14 elements in 11 groups
- 3 ED (extra-low dispersion) lens elements for high resolution and contrast
- 3 aspherical lens elements provide clear, accurate focus from one edge of the image to the other
- ultra-quiet stepping motor (STM) design for fast, smooth autofocus
- 9-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism for accurate aperture blade control when using auto exposure during continuous shooting
- minimum focus distance: .66'
- filter/attachment size: 77mm
- includes lens hood, front and rear lens caps, and lens case
- lens is 3-7/16" in diameter and 4-5/16" long
- weight: 17.9 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 20093
What's in the box:
- NIKKOR Z 20mm f/1.8 S lens
- LC-77B 77mm Lens cap (installed)
- LF-N1 rear lens cap (installed)
- HB-95 Lens hood
- CL-C1 Soft lens pouch
- User's Manual
- Warranty sheet
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Nikon NIKKOR Z 20mm f/1.8 S
Overview: The NIKKOR Z 20mm f/1.8 S is part of Nikon's new Z-series of mirrorless full-frame cameras and lenses. This wide-angle prime lens is ideal for landscapes and wide interiors, and it's fast enough for photographing in low light situations. It features virtually silent autofocusing, making it perfect for shooting video. The Z 20mm lens includes the HB-95 lens hood and a soft lens case.
Z Mount: Nikon's Z-series of mirrorless cameras feature the new large-diameter Z Mount. The Z Mount has a 55mm inner mount diameter and a short flange focal distance of 16mm, which allows more light to enter through the lens than the standard Nikon F Mount (44mm inner mount diameter and 46.5mm focal plane distance). This allows the Z-series lenses to capture more light, resulting in sharper images from the center of the frame to the far edges of the image. The Z Mount also has more electrical contacts, which means faster communication between the camera and the lens for improved performance.
Nikkor S-Line: The lens is part of the NIKKOR Z S-Line of lenses which reflect the newly established standards in design principles and quality control that are stricter than Nikon's conventional standards. Each S-Line lens provides an optical performance with rich detail and a sense of reality in every still image or movie it creates. S-Line lenses reach new heights of achievement in resolution, bokeh, chromatic aberration correction, ghost/flare reduction, and point-image reproduction.
9-blade Rounded Diaphragm: The NIKKOR Z 20mm lens features an f/1.8 maximum aperture. The 9-blade rounded diaphragm opening produces stunning out-of-focus background elements (bokeh) in your photographs.
Weather Sealed: The lens is durable and lightweight, and is extensively sealed against dust and water, particularly around all moving parts.
Lens Hood: The NIKKOR Z 20mm lens comes with the bayonet-style HB-95 lens hood to block stray light and prevent lens flare and ghosting, and to protect the front lens element. When not in use, the lens hood can be reverse-mounted on the lens for storage.
Nikon Technologies: The 20mm lens is equipped with the following Nikon technologies:
- Stepping Motor: NIKKOR Z lenses use a stepping motor for quick, smooth, and quiet autofocusing. Because it operates in silence, it is highly recommended for video recording.
- ED (Extra-low Dispersion) Glass: ED glass elements are used to obtain optimum correction of chromatic aberrations.
- Aspherical Lens: The lens uses aspherical lenses to reduce aberrations and enable a more compact lens size. These lens elements have a curved, non-spherical surface, and corrects lens distortions by continuously changing the refractive index from the center of the lens.
- Nano Crystal Coat: Developed by Nikon, the anti-reflective Nano Crystal Coat eliminates ghosting and flare caused by light entering the lens diagonally, particularly red light.
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism: An electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism gives you accurate diaphragm and aperture blade control when using auto exposure, particularly during continuous shooting.
- Super Integrated Coating (SIC): The optical elements in NIKKOR lenses have a multi-layer coating.
- Focal Length: 20mm
- Mount: Nikon Z mount
- Format: FX (full-frame)
- Maximum Aperture: f/1.8
- Minimum Aperture: f/16
- Maximum Reproduction Ratio: 0.19x
- Lens Construction: 14 elements in 11 groups (including 3 ED elements, 3 aspherical elements, and elements with Nano Crystal Coat)
- Angle of View: 94° (FX format), 70° (DX format)
- Focusing System: Internal focusing system
- Minimum Focus Distance: 7.92" (0.66 feet)
- Diaphragm: 9-blade rounded diaphragm opening
- Filter Diameter: 77mm
- Dimensions: 3.314" diameter, 4.48" length
- Weight: 17.9 ounces