About the Nikon NIKKOR Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S
An ultra-wide view that's great in low light
An ultra-wide view that's great in low light
If you're a landscape photographer — or love capturing unique perspectives of architecture or the night sky — an ultra-wide-angle zoom lens like Nikon's NIKKOR Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S is a dream come true.
This versatile lens pairs an ultra-wide focal length with outstanding low-light performance. You can also use this lens for pro-level videography with your Nikon Z Series mirrorless camera.
Premium construction for long-term ownership
When I invest in a new lens, I'm buying for the long haul. Build quality matters a great deal to me, and the NIKKOR Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S has it in spades. It's dust- and water-resistant, so you can use it outdoors with confidence.
Advanced design technologies, like Nikon's Super Integrated Coating and anti-reflective Nano Crystal Coat, ensure the glass elements perform at a high level and hold up over time. You'll be able to capture rich, vibrant images for years.
- 14-24mm ultra-wide-angle zoom lens for Nikon Z Series full-frame mirrorless cameras
- 21-36mm effective focal length with APS-C (DX-format) cameras
- ideal for landscape, cityscape, architectural, and night-sky photography
- f/2.8 maximum aperture for outstanding low-light performance, and a shallow depth of field
- nearly silent autofocus make it ideal for shooting video, including vlogging
- built-in info panel lets you quickly confirm focus distance, aperture, and more
- customizable control ring on lens barrel can be used for manual focusing (default), aperture control, or exposure compensation
- Super Integrated Coating on lens elements provides excellent color richness and contrast
- anti-reflective Nano Crystal Coat reduces ghosting and flare
- ARNEO Coat works with Nano Crystal Coat to further reduce ghosting and flare, even when there's a light source in the frame
- dust- and moisture-resistant design for shooting in adverse environments
- protective fluorine coating protects against water, dirt, and smudges
- lens construction: 16 elements in 11 groups
- 4 ED (extra-low dispersion) lens elements for high resolution and contrast
- 3 aspherical lens elements provide clear, accurate focus from one edge of the image to the other
- stepping motor (STM) design for fast, smooth, and ultra-quiet autofocus
- 9-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- minimum focus distance: .92'
- includes lens hoods, front and rear lens caps, and lens case
- supports 112mm screw-in filters with the included HB-97 lens hood
- lens is 3-1/2" in diameter and 5" long
- weight: 23 oz.
- warranty: 5 years with Nikon registration
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 20097
What's in the box:
- NIKKOR Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S zoom lens
- LC-Z1424 Lens cap (installed)
- LF-N1 Rear lens cap (installed)
- LC-K104 Lens cap
- HB-96 Lens hood
- HB-97 Lens hood
- CL-C2 Lens case
- User Manual
- Warranty sheet
Nikon NIKKOR Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Nikon NIKKOR Z 14-24mm f/2.8 S
Overview: The Nikon Z NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8 S lens is an ultra-wide zoom lens that ideal for capturing wide open landscapes, cityscapes, as well as architecture and interior shots. It is smaller and lighter than most comparable lenses, and perfectly balanced for Nikon's Z-series of mirrorless cameras. Its wide-open f/2.8 maximum aperture works extremely well in low light situations, as well as for photographing the night sky. The lens comes with two lens hoods, and two front lens caps, including one that slips over one of the lens hoods. A soft lens case is also included to protect the lens when not in use.
FX-format Lens: This lens is optimized for use on Nikon Z-series FX-format (full frame) cameras (Z5, Z6, Z7, Z6II, Z7II), but it is also compatible with Nikon Z DX-format cameras (Z50). When used on a DX-format camera, the lens will have an angle of view equivalent to a 21-36mm lens, due to the crop factor of 1.5x.
Nikkor S-Line: The lens is part of the NIKKOR Z S-Line of lenses which reflect the newly established standards in design principles and quality control that are stricter than Nikon's conventional standards. Each S-Line lens provides an optical performance with rich detail and a sense of reality in every still image or movie it creates. S-Line lenses reach new heights of achievement in resolution, bokeh, chromatic aberration correction, ghost/flare reduction, and point-image reproduction.
Nikon Technologies: The Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8 S lens is equipped with the following Nikon technologies:
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism (E): The lens has an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism in the lens barrel to provide accurate aperture blade control during auto-exposure during continuous shooting. Conventional lenses (D/G types) have mechanical linkage levers to control the diaphragm blades.
- Aspherical Lens (AS): The lens uses aspherical lenses to reduce aberrations and enable a more compact lens size. These lens elements have a curved, non-spherical surface, and corrects lens distortions by continuously changing the refractive index from the center of the lens.
- Extra-low Dispersion (ED) Glass: This lens contains Extra-low Dispersion optical glass developed by Nikon for optimum correction of chromatic aberrations.
- Internal Focusing (IF): The lens features a system in which only the internal lens group moves during focusing, eliminating changes in the physical length of the lens during auto focusing, and enabling closer focusing distances.
- Nano Crystal Coat: The lens has Nikon's anti-reflective Nano Crystal Coating that eliminates internal reflections across a wide range of wavelengths. It effectively reduces flare and ghosting caused by light entering the lens diagonally.
- ARNEO Coat: Used in conjunction with the Nano Crystal Coat, the ARNEO coating further reduces flare and ghosting caused by light entering the lens vertically.
- Super Integrated Coating (SIC): The lens features a multi-layered coating of the optical elements.
- Fluorine Coat: The front lens element has a fluorine coating that repels dust, water droplets, grease, fingerprints, and dirt, which makes cleaning the lens much easier.
- Stepping Motor (STM): NIKKOR Z lenses use a stepping motor for fast, accurate, smooth, quiet autofocusing. The motor operates in virtual silence, which makes it ideal for video recording.
Lens Construction: The lens contains 16 elements in 11 groups, including 4 ED lens elements, 3 Aspherical elements, and lens elements with Nano Crystal and ARNEO coats. There is also a protective front glass element with a fluorine coating to repel dust, water droplets, grease, or dirt.
Lens Hoods: The NIKKOR 14-24mm zoom lens comes with two lens hoods: the HB-96 and HB-97. Both hoods block stray light from getting into the lens causing flare or ghosting. They also protects the front of the lens from direct contact, as well as keeping out dirt, rain, and snow. The HB-97 lens hood allows you to attach a 112mm screw-on lens filter. An extra front lens cap (LC-K104) is included to slip over the HB-97 lens hood to avoid having to remove it when capping the lens.
Lens Filters: Lens filters can be attached to the lens at the front and rear. The rear mount opening has a filter slot for inserting cut third-party trimmable filter sheets. The filters must be trimmed to a rectangular shape 38mm x 30mm with all four corners cut at 5mm. A Nikon 112mm screw-on filter can be used at the front of the lens, when the included HB-97 lens hood is attached. Shadows may appear at the periphery of photos taken with third-party screw-on filters.
Focus Mode Switch: The A-M switch on the lens barrel lets you choose a focus mode: Autofocus or Manual. When the camera's focus mode is set to Manual, you'll need to focus by rotating the Focus Ring, regardless of the position of the lens' A-M switch.
Control Ring: The smooth operating Control Ring gives you quick access to several functions, including aperture control, exposure compensation, or ISO sensitivity. The functionality is customizable in the menu of the attached Z-series camera. The ring rotates in silence, which is ideal for shooting video.
Lens Info Panel: The backlit Lens Info Panel comes on when the camera is powered on to give you important information when you can't be behind the camera. The panel confirms the focus mode (manual or autofocus) when set, and can indicate the aperture setting, focal length, and depth of field when the camera is in Auto or Manual mode. The unit settings (meters or feet) can be selected using the lens' Control Ring. The display brightness can also be adjusted, or the panel can be turned off, if desired.
- Focal Length: 14mm - 24mm
- Zoom Ratio: 1.7x
- Mount: Nikon Z mount
- Format: FX (full-frame); DX (APS-C) with a 1.5x crop factor
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.8 (at all zoom positions)
- Minimum Aperture: f/22 (at all zoom positions)
- Maximum Reproduction Ratio: 0.13x
- Lens Construction: 16 elements in 11 groups including 4 ED lens elements, 3 Aspherical elements, and lens elements with Nano Crystal and ARNEO coats. Front lens element has a fluorine coating.
- Angle of View:
- FX-Format: 114° to 84°
- DX-Format: 90° to 61°
- Focusing System: Internal focusing system
- Focal Length Scale: graduated in millimeters (14, 15, 16, 18, 20, 24)
- Minimum Focus Distance: 0.92' (11.04") from focal plane at all zoom positions
- Diaphragm: 9-blade rounded diaphragm opening
- Filter Slot: located at rear of lens
- Filter Diameter: 112mm (Nikon screw type) with HB-97 lens hood
- Dimensions: Diameter 3.488", Length 5.11" (5.688" w/caps)
- Weight: 23 ounces
Warranty Terms: Nikon offers a 1-year parts and labor warranty on this lens. An additional 4-year Extended Service Coverage is available at no charge if you register the product with Nikon within 10 days of purchase.