About the Nikon NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8
An ultra-capable compact prime
An ultra-capable compact prime
Nikon mirrorless shooters have eagerly awaited Z Series macro lenses, and their patience has been rewarded with the NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8. This compact prime offers a natural perspective, let in lots of light, and yields sharp, vibrant images when paired with a Nikon Z Series full-frame mirrorless camera.
This compact prime captures bright images with sharp, in-focus details and beautifully blurred backgrounds.
Get crisp, colorful photos indoors or out
The NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8 is ideal for creative enthusiasts and working professionals alike. Videographers will especially appreciate the quiet autofocus system and lightweight design.
This lens is ideal for colorful portraits, sweeping landscapes, indoor birthday parties and celebrations, and more. Plus, it can take stunning macro shots of up-close subjects with eye-popping detail.
Don't hesitate to open it up
The NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8 is particularly sharp when shot wide open (meaning the aperture or "f number" is set to its lowest number). With a wide f/2.8 maximum aperture, you can capture crisp details of your subject while blurring out the background.
- lens type: standard macro prime
- compatible with Nikon Z Series full-frame mirrorless cameras
- ideal for portrait, landscape, travel, and macro photography
- 1:1 magnification for capturing ultra-detailed shots of up-close subjects
- f/2.8 maximum aperture for outstanding low-light performance
- stepping motor design (STM) for fast, smooth, and ultra-quiet autofocus
- nearly silent autofocus is ideal for shooting video, including vlogging
Design and construction:
- dust- and water-resistant construction for shooting in adverse weather conditions
- lens construction: 10 elements in 7 groups
- 1 ED (extra-low dispersion) lens element for high resolution and contrast
- 1 aspherical lens element provides clear, accurate focus from one edge of the image to the other
- 9-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- smudge-resistant fluorine coating repels dirt and dust for easy cleaning
- minimum focus distance: .53'
- filter/attachment size: 46mm
- includes lens hood, front and rear lens caps, and lens case
Dimensions and warranty:
- lens is 2-15/16" in diameter and 2-13/16" long
- weight: 9.2oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 20103
What's in the box:
- NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8 lens
- LC-46B Front lens cap (installed)
- LF-N1 Rear lens cap (installed)
- HN-41 hens hood
- CL-C1 Soft lens case
- User's Manual
- Warranty card
Nikon NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Nikon NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8
Overview: The NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8 is a new prime macro lens for Nikon's Z-series of mirrorless full-frame cameras. Its 50mm focal length is similar to what the human eye sees, making it ideal for a wide variety of still image and movie applications. This macro lens lets you shoot as close as 6.36". The lens comes with a lens hood and a soft storage pouch.
9-blade Rounded Diaphragm: The NIKKOR Z MC 50mm lens features a 9-blade rounded diaphragm that can produce stunning out-of-focus background elements (bokeh) in your photographs.
Focus Range Limiter: The Focus Limit Switch on the side of the lens lets you limit autofocus to distances between 0.16m (0.53 feet) and 0.3m (0.98 feet). This allows you to focus faster when shooting closeups, or at any other time your subject will be no more than 1 foot away. The switch has two positions: Full and 0.3m-0.16m.
Adjusting Aperture: The aperture of the lens varies with the focus distance. When the focus distance is infinity, the aperture ranges from f/2.8 to f/22. At the closest focus distance of 0.16m (0.53 feet), the aperture range is f/5.6 to f/32.
Reproduction Ratio: You can vary the Reproduction Ratio from 1:1 (life-size) to 1:2 (half life-size). With the focus mode switch at M (manual), the control ring rotates to extend the front focusing lens element. The reproduction ratio index and focus length are printed on the barrel of the front lens element. After selecting the Reproduction Ratio, you should then move the camera forward or back until the image is in focus. The range markings on the front lens element barrel include:
|Focus Distance||Reproduction Ratio|
|0.63 ft / 0.19m||1:2|
|0.56 ft / 0.17m|| |
|0.53 ft / 0.16m||1:1|
Weather Sealed: The lens is durable and lightweight, and is extensively sealed against dust and water, particularly around all moving parts.
Lens Hood: The lens comes with the HN-41 lens hood to protect the lens, reduce lens flare, and ensure maximum image quality. The hood screws directly to the 46mm filter thread.
Nikon Technologies: The lens is equipped with the following Nikon technologies:
- Aspherical Lens: Aspherical lens elements have curved, non-spherical surfaces, which reduce aberrations, and allow lighter, and more compact lens sizes. They correct distortion in wide-angle lenses.
- Stepping Motor (STM): The lens uses a stepping motor to give you fast, quiet autofocusing. This makes it ideal to use when shooting video.
- ED (Extra-low Dispersion) Glass: ED glass elements are used to obtain optimum correction of chromatic aberrations.
- Fluorine Coat: Nikon's fluorine coat helps repel dust, water droplets, grease, and dirt from adhering to the lens surface. The coating can withstand lots of lens surface wiping.
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism: An electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism gives you accurate diaphragm and aperture blade control when using auto exposure, particularly during continuous shooting.
- Focal Length: 50mm
- Mount: Nikon Z mount
- Format: FX (full-frame)
- Aperture Range:
- At a focus distance of infinity: f/2.8 to f/22
- At a focus distance of 0.16m (0.53 feet): f/5.6 to f/32
- Lens Construction: 10 elements in 7 groups (including 1 ED element, 1 aspherical element, and a fluorine-coated front lens element)
- Angle of View:
- FX Format: 47°
- DX Format: 31° 30'
- Focusing System: Front focusing system
- Minimum Focus Distance: 6.36" (0.53')
- Maximum Reproduction Ratio: 1x
- Diaphragm: 9-blade rounded diaphragm opening
- Filter Diameter: 46mm
- Dimensions: Diameter 2.918", Length 2.794" (3.242" with caps)
- Weight: 9.2 ounces