About the Nikon NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S
Capture ultra-sharp photos from a distance
Capture ultra-sharp photos from a distance
I find super-telephoto zoom lenses — like Nikon's NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S — to be a great deal of fun to use. They let you photograph subjects that are relatively close, like your dog playing in the yard. But with a flick of the wrist you can extend this lens all the way out to 400mm and capture detailed photos of far-away wildlife, distant sunsets, or even the moon.
This ultra-versatile zoom lens pairs nicely with the Z 6II (camera body not included)
Enjoy exceptional image and build quality
The NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S complements the other high-end glass in Nikon's upper-echelon S-Line, offering superb image and build quality.
You'll enjoy razor-sharp focus, vibrant, punchy colors, and beautiful out-of-focus elements across this lens' wide focal range.
Ideal for capturing smooth 4K video footage
This image-stabilized lens is fantastic with video, too. Nikon's Inner Balance Technology maintains a constant center of gravity even as the barrel length changes. This helps make capturing handheld video footage smooth, while also reducing "nose dives" when mounted to a gimbal or tripod.
- super telephoto zoom lens for Nikon Z Series mirrorless cameras
- ideal for sports, event, wildlife, and aviation photography
- effective focal length:
- 100-400mm with full-frame sensor cameras
- 150-600mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- compatible with Nikon Z teleconverters for even further reach
- variable f/4.5-5.6 maximum aperture
- built-in Vibration Reduction enables sharper shots at slower shutter speeds compared to non-VR lenses
- quick-zoom ring lets you cover the entire zoom range with a flick of the wrist
- built-in info panel lets you quickly confirm focus distance, aperture, and more
- customizable control ring on lens barrel can be used to adjust aperture, ISO, or exposure compensation
- customizable barrel-mounted "shortcut" button quickly activates subject tracking, AF Lock, image playback, and more
Design and construction:
- dust- and moisture-resistant design for shooting in adverse environments
- Inner Balance Technology maintains a constant center of gravity, even as the barrel length changes
- makes handheld shooting easier, plus reduces "nose dives" when mounted to a gimbal or tripod
- dual stepping motor design (STM) for fast, smooth, and ultra-quiet autofocus
- nearly silent autofocus is ideal for shooting video
- lens construction: 25 elements in 20 groups
- 6 ED (extra-low dispersion) lens elements for high resolution and contrast
- 2 Super ED lens elements reduce chromatic aberration
- 9-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- smudge-resistant fluorine coating repels dirt and dust for easy cleaning
- anti-reflective Nano Crystal Coat reduces ghosting and flare
- Nikon's ARNEO Coat works with Nano Crystal Coat to further reduce ghosting and flare, even when there's a light source in the frame
- includes front and rear caps, tripod collar, lens hood, and lens case
Dimensions and warranty:
- diameter: 3-7/8"
- length: 8-15/16"
- weight: 50.7 oz.
- filter/attachment size: 77mm
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 20106
What's in the box:
- NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S zoom lens
- Lens collar (installed)
- LC-77B Front lens cap (installed)
- LF-N1 Rear lens cap (installed)
- HB-103 Lens hood
- CL-C3 Lens case
- User's Manual
- Warranty card
Nikon NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Nikon NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S
Overview: The Nikon NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S lens is a super telephoto zoom lens that is ideal for photographing birds and wildlife, sporting events, and more. The lens includes Vibration Reduction to reduce blur at extreme zoom positions. The lens comes with an detachable tripod collar, lens hood, and polyester soft lens case.
FX-format Lens: This lens is optimized for use on Nikon Z-series mirrorless FX-format (full frame) cameras, but it is also compatible with Nikon's mirrorless DX-format cameras. When used on a DX-format camera, such as the Z 50 or Z fc, the lens has an equivalent focal length of 150-600mm.
Nikkor S-Line: The lens is part of the NIKKOR Z S-Line of lenses which reflect the newly established standards in design principles and quality control that are stricter than Nikon's conventional standards. Each S-Line lens provides an optical performance with rich detail and a sense of reality in every still image or movie it creates. S-Line lenses reach new heights of achievement in resolution, bokeh, chromatic aberration correction, ghost/flare reduction, and point-image reproduction.
Nikon Technologies: The Nikon NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S lens is equipped with the following Nikon technologies:
- Vibration Reduction (VR): Vibration Reduction technology reduces blur caused by camera shake, which allows you to use shutter speeds that are 5.5 stops slower than normal, when attached to cameras with in-body VR. The VR switch can be set to Normal (for stationary subjects) or Sport (for photographing athletes or other moving subjects). You can also turn off VR, if desired.
- Extra-low Dispersion (ED) Glass: This lens contains Extra-low Dispersion optical glass developed by Nikon for optimum correction of chromatic aberrations. Super ED glass goes even further in minimizing chromatic and other lens aberrations.
- Internal Focusing (IF): The lens features a system in which only the internal lens group moves during focusing, eliminating changes in the physical length of the lens during auto focusing, and enabling closer focusing distances.
- Nano Crystal Coat: Nikon's anti-reflective coating virtually eliminates reflections on the internal lens elements. The coating effectively reduces ghost and flare caused by light entering the lens diagonally.
- ARNEO Coat: An anti-reflective coating used in conjuction with Nano Crystal Coat to further reduce ghost and flare caused by light entering the lens vertically.
- Stepping Motor (STM): NIKKOR Z lenses use a stepping motor for fast, accurate, smooth, quiet autofocusing. The motor operates in virtual silence, which makes it ideal for video recording.
Lens Construction: The lens contains 25 elements in 20 groups, including 6 ED elements, 2 Super-ED elements, and elements with Nano Crystal and ARNEO coatings, plus a fluorine-coated front lens element.
Filter Diameter: The NIKKOR Z 100-400mm lens features a screw-in filter thread that accommodates 77mm filters.
Lens Hood: The lens includes the HB-103 lens hood to block stray light that would otherwise cause flare or ghosting. The hood also protects the front element of the lens from weather and accidental impacts. When mounted to the lens, the hood adds approximately 2-3/8" to the overall length of the lens.
Control Ring: The smooth operating Control Ring gives you quick access to several functions, including precise manual focusing, aperture control, exposure compensation, or ISO sensitivity. The functionality is customizable in the menu of the attached Z-series camera. The ring rotates in silence, which is ideal for shooting video. Special knurling on the outside of the Control Ring makes it easier to distinguish from the zoom ring.
Controls: The lens features the following on-board controls:
- Focus-mode Switch: The two-way Focus-mode switch lets you choose between Autofocus and Manual focus. If Manual Focus is selected using camera controls, focus must be adjusted manually, regardless of the A-M setting on the lens.
- Focus Limit Switch: The Focus Limit Switch lets you choose the autofocus range. Choosing "Full" lets you choose to focus on subjects between 2.46' and infinity (∞). For faster focusing of subjects beyond 3 meters (9.85 feet), you can select "∞ - 3m" which limits focus to longer distances (9.85' to ∞).
- L-Fn Button: Using the camera, you can assign a function to the lens' L-Fn button. Pressing the L-Fn button on the barrel of the lens, activates/deactivates the set function.
- L-FN2 Buttons: Like the L-Fn button, the four L-Fn2 buttons, located between the zoom ring and focus ring, you can press the button to perform a function assigned to it using the camera.
Security Slot: The lens is equipped with a Kensington security slot for attaching a third-party anti-theft cable.
Tripod Collar: The lens has an attached tripod collar for mounting the lens and camera. This provides much better balance, and takes pressure off of the camera's tripod socket. The tripod collar can be rotated to smoothly and easily switch between wide ("landscape") and tall ("portrait") orientations. There are index markings every 90° to use as a guide.
Optional Teleconverters: The zoom power of the NIKKOR Z 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR S can be extended even further through the use of optional Nikon Z-series teleconverters. The lens is compatible with the Z Teleconverter TC-1.4x and Z Teleconverter TC-2.0x to extend the reach by 1.4x (to 560mm) and 2.0x (to 800mm), respectively.
- Type of Mount: Nikon Z mount
- Focal Length: 100-400mm (Zoom Ratio: 4x)
- Filter Diameter: 77mm
- Maximum Reproduction Ratio: 0.38x
- Lens Construction: 25 elements in 20 groups (including 6 ED elements, 2 Super-ED elements, and elements with Nano Crystal and ARNEO coatings, plus a fluorine-coated front lens element)
- Closest Focus Distance:
- 100mm zoom position: 2.46 feet
- 135mm zoom position: 2.56 feet
- 200mm zoom position: 2.63 feet
- 300mm zoom position: 2.86 feet
- 400mm zoom position: 3.22 feet
- Focusing Method: Nikon Internal Focusing (IF) system
- Diaphragm: Rounded 9-blade
- Aperture Range:
- Maximum Aperture: f/4.5 (at 100mm) - 5.6mm (at 400mm)
- Minimum Aperture: f/32 (at 100mm) - f/40mm (at 400mm)
- Angle of View:
- FX-format cameras: 24°20' - 6°10'
- DX-format cameras: 16° - 4°
- Dimensions: Diameter 3.842", Length 8.888" (9.473" w/ lens caps)
- Weight: 50.7 ounces (with tripod collar)