About the Nikon NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR
A lightweight everyday lens
Looking for a compact zoom lens you can take just about anywhere? Pair the NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR with your Nikon Z Series mirrorless camera for crisp, colorful stills and smooth video footage.
It's ideal for portraiture, landscapes, travel photography, and more. Built-in Vibration Reduction helps ensure sharp, steady shots at slow shutter speeds.
- lightweight design makes it a great choice for taking vibrant photos on trips, hikes, and other fun outings
- lens type: wide-angle zoom
- compatible with Nikon Z Series mirrorless cameras
- effective focal length:
- 16-50mm with full-frame sensor cameras
- 24-75mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- variable f/3.5-6.3 maximum aperture
- built-in Vibration Reduction enables sharper shots at slower shutter speeds compared to non-VR lenses
Design and construction:
- compact, lightweight form factor
- stepping motor design (STM) for fast, smooth, and ultra-quiet autofocus
- nearly silent autofocus is ideal for shooting video, including vlogging
- customizable control ring on lens barrel can be used for manual focusing (default), aperture control, or exposure compensation
- lens construction: 9 elements in 7 groups
- 1 ED (extra-low dispersion) lens element for high resolution and contrast
- 4 aspherical lens elements provides clear, accurate focus from one edge of the image to the other
- Super Integrated Coating on lens elements provides excellent color richness and contrast
- 7-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- minimum focus distance: .66' at 24mm
- filter/attachment size: 46mm
Dimensions and warranty:
- lens is 2-13/16" in diameter and 1-1/2" long
- weight: 4.8 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 20109
What's in the box:
- NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR zoom lens (silver)
- LC-46B lens cap (installed)
- LF-N1 Slip-on dust cap (installed)
- User's Manual
- Warranty sheet
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Nikon NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR
Overview: The Nikon NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR is an ultra-compact DX-format wide-angle zoom lens that works with Nikon's Z-series of mirrorless cameras. It covers an important zoom range, allowing you to capture expansive landscapes and street scenes, as well as portraits and close-ups. It features 11 CPU contacts on the lens mount to transfer data to and from the camera. The lens has a zoom ring for zooming in or out, and a separate control ring to let you quickly change camera settings.
Vibration Reduction: The lens features on-board Vibration Reduction (VR), which can be enabled or disabled using the camera's controls. Vibration Reduction reduces blur caused by camera shake, allowing shutter speeds up to 4.5 stops slower than would otherwise be the case, and increasing the range of shutter speeds available.
Control Ring: The smooth operating Control Ring gives you quick access to with several functions, depending upon the setting of the Focus Mode switch. In Autofocus mode, you can rotate the ring to adjust a setting such as Focus (M/A) or Aperture assigned using the camera. If the switch is set to M (manual), the Control Ring rotates to adjust focus.
Nikon Technologies: The NIKKOR Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 VR lens is equipped with the following Nikon technologies:
- Stepping Motor (STM): NIKKOR Z lenses incorporate a stepping motor to give you fast and accurate auto focusing. The drive system is whisper quiet, making the lens ideal for recording movies.
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm: The lens has an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism in the lens barrel which provides accurate aperture blade control during auto exposure.
- IF Lens: NIKKOR IF lenses focus by shifting only the internal lens elements. Internal Focusing lenses do not change in size during AF operation, and are typically more compact, lightweight, and capable of closer focusing distances.
- Aspherical Lens Elements (AS): Aspherical lenses are used to reduce aberrations, and enable a more compact lens size.
- Extra-low Dispersion Elements (ED): The lens features Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass lens elements, developed by Nikon to correct chromatic aberrations.
- Super Integrated Coating (SIC): The lens features a multi-layered coating of the optical elements.
|Type of Mount||Nikon Z mount|
|Focal Length Scale (mm)||16mm, 24mm, 35mm, 50mm|
|Maximum Reproduction Ratio||0.2x|
|Lens Construction||9 elements in 7 groups |
(including 1 ED lens element and 4 aspherical elements)
|Closest Focus Distance|| |
16mm: 0.82' (9.84")
|Focusing Method||Internal Focusing System|
|Aperture Range||16mm: f/3.5 - f/22 |
50mm: f/6.3 - f/40
|Angle of View||83° - 31°30' (DX image area)|
|Dimensions||Diameter 2.762" Length 1.498" (2.143" w/lens caps)|