About the Nikon NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S
Nikon's best super-telephoto prime
Nikon's best super-telephoto prime
Many of the top sports and wildlife photographers in the world use a 400mm f/2.8 lens as their go-to choice for freezing motion from a distance. Pair the NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S super-telephoto prime lens with your Nikon Z Series mirrorless camera for spectacular shots of the action on the field, animals in their natural environment, and dramatic frames of the moon at night.
An integrated 1.4X teleconverter provides an effective focal length of 560mm
Extend your reach
An integrated 1.4X teleconverter allows you to extend this lens's effective focal range all the way out to 560mm with only one stop of light loss (use of the teleconverter reduces the maximum aperture to f/4).
Enjoy exceptional image and build quality
If you own a Z Series camera you're probably hip to the company's exceptional lineup of Z-mount lenses.
The NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S complements the other high-end glass in Nikon's upper-echelon S-Line, offering superb image and build quality. You'll enjoy razor-sharp focus, vibrant, punchy colors, and beautiful out-of-focus elements.
An important warning from Nikon:
Do not use this product if you have a pacemaker or other medical device. The magnet or magnets in this product could cause medical devices to malfunction.
- 400mm super telephoto prime lens for Nikon Z Series mirrorless cameras
- ideal for sports, event, wildlife, and aviation photography
- integrated 1.4X teleconverter provides an effective focal length of 560mm
- fixed f/2.8 maximum aperture for outstanding performance in low-light environments
- use of teleconverter reduces maximum aperture to f/4
- built-in Vibration Reduction enables sharper shots at slower shutter speeds compared to non-VR lenses
- Silky Swift Voice Coil Motor (VCM) uses magnets instead of gears to move the lens focus groups
- ensures fast, smooth, and ultra-quiet autofocus
- nearly silent autofocus is ideal for shooting video
- customizable control ring on lens barrel can be used to adjust aperture, ISO, or exposure compensation
- customizable barrel-mounted "shortcut" button quickly activates subject tracking, AF Lock, image playback, and more
Design and construction:
- dust- and moisture-resistant design for shooting in adverse environments
- Nikon's Meso Amorphous Coat and ARNEO Coat reduce ghosting and flare, even when there's a light source in the frame
- lens construction: 25 elements in 19 groups including:
- 2 ED (extra-low dispersion) lens elements for high resolution and contrast
- 1 Super ED lens elements reduce chromatic aberration
- 2 lightweight Fluorite (FL) elements and 1 Short-wavelength Refractive (SR) element for reducing color fringing and coma
- 9-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- smudge-resistant fluorine coating repels dirt and dust for easy cleaning
- includes front and rear caps, tripod collar, lens hood, and lens case
- Important warning from Nikon: Do not use this product if you have a pacemaker or other medical device. The magnet or magnets in this product could cause medical devices to malfunction.
Dimensions and warranty:
- diameter: 6-1/4"
- length: 15"
- weight: 104 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 20111
What's in the box:
Nikon NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S owner's manual
- NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S lens
- Tripod collar ring (installed)
- LC-K105 Slip-on front lens cap (installed)
- LF-N1 Rear lens cap (installed)
- HK-42 Lens hood
- LN-3 shoulder strap
- CL-L3 Lens case
- User's Manual
- Warranty card
- Product Research Note: "What's In The Box" is estimated from the Nikon Website and the lens Reference Guide.
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Nikon NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S
Overview: The Nikon NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S lens is a super telephoto prime lens that is ideal for photographing birds and wildlife, sporting events, and more. The lens includes Vibration Reduction to reduce blur at extreme focal lengths. The built-in 1.4x teleconverter lets you get even closer to the action. The lens comes with an detachable tripod collar, safety strap, lens hood, and a soft lens case.
FX-format Lens: This lens is optimized for use on Nikon Z-series mirrorless FX-format (full frame) cameras with the Nikon Z mount, but it is also compatible with Nikon's mirrorless DX-format cameras. On a full-frame camera, the lens has a focal length of 400mm, and 560mm with the built-in teleconverter. When used on a DX-format camera, such as the Z 50 or Z fc, the lens has an equivalent focal length of 600mm (840mm with the teleconverter).
Nikkor S-Line: The lens is part of the NIKKOR Z S-Line of lenses which reflect the newly established standards in design principles and quality control that are stricter than Nikon's conventional standards. Each S-Line lens provides an optical performance with rich detail and a sense of reality in every still image or movie it creates. S-Line lenses reach new heights of achievement in resolution, bokeh, chromatic aberration correction, ghost/flare reduction, and point-image reproduction.
Nikon Technologies: The Nikon NIKKOR Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S lens is equipped with the following Nikon technologies:
- Teleconverter (TC): The lens will extend your reach at the flip of a switch with the built-in 1.4x teleconverter. When activated, the teleconverter transforms the 400mm f/2.8 lens to a 560mm f/4 lens.
- Silky Swift VCM (SSVCM): Instead of gears, the lens uses magnets to move the lens focus groups. The Silky Swift Voice Coil Motor delivers smooth and silent autofocusing.
- Vibration Reduction (VR): Vibration Reduction technology reduces blur caused by camera shake, which allows you to use shutter speeds that are 5.5 stops slower than normal, when attached to a full frame camera. The VR switch can be set to Normal (for stationary subjects) or Sport (for photographing athletes or other moving subjects). You can also turn off VR, if desired. When mounted to the flagship Z9 camera, Synchro VR combines the in-lens and in-camera VR image stabilization for maximum results.
- Extra-low Dispersion (ED) Glass: This lens contains Extra-low Dispersion optical glass developed by Nikon for optimum correction of chromatic aberrations. Super ED glass goes even further in minimizing chromatic and other lens aberrations.
- Super ED Glass: Nikon's Super ED glass has even lower dispersion properties to further minimize chromatic aberrations, and other lens aberrations.
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism: The electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism provides very accurate aperture blade control during auto exposure during continuous shooting.
- Internal Focusing (IF): The lens features a system in which only the internal lens group moves during focusing, eliminating changes in the physical length of the lens during auto focusing, and enabling closer focusing distances.
- Meso Amorphous Coat: Meso Amorphous Coat delivers the highest anti-reflection performance, superior to that of a Nano Crystal Coat for incidental diagnonal incidental light. It is also equivalent or superior to ARNEO Coat for vertical incidental light reflections. Ghost and flare are significantly reduced, for clear images under harsh conditions.
- Fluorine Coat: When shooting in harsh conditions, the Fluorine Coat on the outer lens surface effectively repels dust, dirt, water droplets, and grease, making them easy to remove. It is also effective in resisting fingerprints on the lens surface from accidental contact.
- ARNEO Coat: An anti-reflective coating to further reduce ghost and flare caused by light entering the lens vertically.
Lens Construction: The lens contains 25 elements in 19 groups, including 7 elements in 4 groups in the built-in teleconverter. It includes 2 ED elements, 1 Super-ED element, 2 fluorite elements, 1 SR element, elements with meso-amorphous and ARNEO coatings, plus a fluorine-coated front lens element.
Slip-in Filter Holder: The NIKKOR Z 400mm lens features a slip-in filter holder near the rear of the lens. Under most conditions, the lens can operate without filters. The filter holder can be removed from the lens for inserting a 46mm screw-on filter.
Slip-on Front Lens Cap: The LC-K105 Front Lens Cap slips over the front of the lens or the lens hood, if attached. It has a strap for tightening it over the lens or hood to prevent loss.
Lens Hood: The lens includes the slip-on HK-42 lens hood to block stray light that would otherwise cause flare or ghosting. The hood also protects the front element of the lens from weather and accidental impacts. The lens hood slips onto the end of the lens and is held in place by tightening the clamp knob. When not in use, the hood can be reverse mounted on the lens for storage.
Focus Ring: The widest of the lens rings is the focus ring. It is primarily used during manual focus. When focusing using Autofocus, you can manually adjust the focus by rotating the focus ring while the shutter-release button is pressed halfway.
Control Ring: The smooth operating Control Ring gives you quick access to several functions, including precise manual focusing, aperture control, exposure compensation, or ISO sensitivity. The functionality is customizable in the menu of the attached Z-series camera. The ring rotates in silence, which is ideal for shooting video. Special knurling on the outside of the Control Ring makes it easier to distinguish from the focus ring.
Memory Recall: You can set and save a frequently-used focus position for later quick recall. When the focus position is set to the desired position, you can save that position by pressing the Memory Set button to store it in the lens. To recall the last-saved focus position, rotate the Fn ring on the lens. The stored distance is not reset when you turn the camera off, but does reset when you detach the lens from the camera.
Controls: The lens features the following on-board controls:
- Teleconverter Switch: The two-way teleconverter switch lets you choose between focal length multipliers of 1x and 1.4x. The teleconverter switch has a lock that prevents accidental operation of the switch.
- Focus-mode Switch: The two-way Focus-mode switch lets you choose between Autofocus and Manual focus. If Manual Focus is selected using camera controls, focus must be adjusted manually, regardless of the A-M setting on the lens.
- Focus Limit Switch: The Focus Limit Switch lets you choose the autofocus range. Choosing "Full" lets you choose to focus on subjects between 8.21' (2.5 meters) and infinity (∞) -- the full focusing range of the lens. For faster focusing of subjects beyond 6 meters (19.69 feet), you can select "∞ - 6m" which limits focus to longer distances.
- L-Fn Button: Using the camera, you can assign a function to the lens' L-Fn button. Pressing the L-Fn button on the barrel of the lens, activates/deactivates the set function.
- L-FN2 Buttons: Like the L-Fn button, the four L-Fn2 buttons, located beyond the control ring, allow you to perform a function assigned to it using the camera.
Security Slot: The lens is equipped with a Kensington security slot for attaching a third-party anti-theft cable.
Tripod Collar: The lens has an attached tripod collar for mounting the lens and camera. This provides much better balance, and takes pressure off of the camera's tripod socket. The tripod collar can be rotated to smoothly and easily switch between wide ("landscape") and tall ("portrait") orientations. There are index markings every 90° to use as a guide.
- Type of Mount: Nikon Z mount
- Focal Length (FX-format cameras): 400mm (560mm with built-in teleconverter)
- Focal Length (DX-format cameras): 600mm (840mm with built-in teleconverter)
- Filter Diameter: 46mm screw-on type (with provided slip-in filter holder)
- Maximum Reproduction Ratio: 0.17x
- Lens Construction: 25 elements in 19 groups (including 7 elements in 4 groups in the built-in teleconverter) including 2 ED elements, 1 Super-ED element, 2 fluorite elements, 1 SR element, elements with meso-amorphous and ARNEO coatings, plus a fluorine-coated front lens element
- Closest Focus Distance: 8.21 feet (2.5 meters)
- Focusing Method: Nikon Internal Focusing (IF) system
- Diaphragm: Rounded 9-blade opening
- Aperture Range:
- Without teleconverter: f/2.8 - f/22
- With teleconverter: f/4 - f/32
- Angle of View:
- FX-format cameras: 6°10' (without built-in teleconverter); 4°30' (with built-in teleconverter)
- DX-format cameras: 4° (without built-in teleconverter); 2°50' (with built-in teleconverter)
- Dimensions: Diameter 6.2", Length 15"
- Weight: 6 pounds 8.1 ounces (with tripod collar)