About the Nikon NIKKOR Z 12-28mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ VR
Super-compact, ultra-wide-angle zoom lens
Super-compact, ultra-wide-angle zoom lens
The compact, lightweight, and affordable NIKKOR Z 12-28mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ VR lens is a super-versatile piece of kit for shooting on the go. It lets you capture crisp, detailed stills and video — whether you're trying to fit everything in the frame from close up or zooming in from a more removed point of view. That means it's great for vloggers and content creators, especially when you want maximum mobility and agility.
Smooth and stable power-zoom and internal focusing
This lens features variable-speed power-zoom (that's the "PZ" in this lens's name), with 11 choices — from slow and subtle to nearly instantaneous. Its internal-focus design is smooth and quiet, and since there's no external movement when you focus, helps keep any external dust and air from entering the focusing mechanism.
It's also got 4.5 stops of image stabilization (or vibration reduction — the "VR" in this lens's name), so even when you're shooting handheld in the midst of the action, your shots can be as clear and focused as possible.
- ultra-wide-angle zoom lens for Nikon APS-C sensor Z Series mirrorless cameras
- effective focal range: 18-42mm
- ideal for shooting tight spaces, landscapes, group shots, food shots, street photography, and portraits
- perfect for vloggers and other content creators
- maximum aperture setting: f/3.5-5.6
- minimum focus distance: 0.62 feet
Design and construction:
- internal focusing; no external movement
- power-zoom allows smooth, consistent zoom transitions
- 11 speeds
- image stabilization gives you 4.5 stops of correction
- 12 elements in 11 groups
- 1 ED (extra-low dispersion) element
- 1 aspherical element
- 7-blade rounded diaphragm
- dust- and moisture-resistant for shooting in adverse conditions
Dimensions and warranty:
- filter size: 67mm
- 2-15/16" diameter x 2-1/2" length
- weight: 7.3 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 20118
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Nikon NIKKOR Z 12-28mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ VR
Overview: The Nikon NIKKOR Z DX 12-28mm f/3.5-5.6 PZ VR (#20018) is an ultra-wide angle power zoom lens that is ideal for capturing wide open landscapes, group portraits, and architecture. Its light weight and small form factor make it perfect for handheld vlogging and for use on a gimbal. The power zoom lets you zoom smoothly and silently when shooting videos. The lens is designed for Nikon Z-series mirrorless cameras with the DX (APS-C) format, including the Z 30, Z 50, and Z fc, and provides an 18-42mm equivalent focal length range. It will also work on FX-format (full frame) cameras in DX-crop mode.
Nikon Technologies: The NIKKOR Z DX 12-28mm lens is equipped with the following Nikon technologies:
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism (E): The lens has an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism in the lens barrel to provide accurate aperture blade control during auto-exposure during continuous shooting. Conventional lenses (D/G types) have mechanical linkage levers to control the diaphragm blades.
- Power Zoom (PZ): The Power Zoom ensures smooth zooming at a constant speed which is ideal for shooting videos. Because the zoom in powered, you have the option of zooming while shooting remotely. The lens also includes a zoom ring for manual zooming, if desired. A firmware update may be required for some cameras.
- Internal Zoom Mechanism (IZ): The overall length of the lens does not change when zooming, because the mechanism for moving the lenses is internal. The center of gravity remains nearly constant through the full zooming range.
- Internal Focusing (IF): The lens features a system in which only the internal lens group moves during focusing, eliminating changes in the physical length of the lens during auto focusing, and enabling closer focusing distances.
- ED (Extra-low Dispersion) Glass: Extra-low Dispersion glass is used with normal optical glass in lenses to correct chromatic aberrations.
- Vibration Reduction (VR): Vibration Reduction technology reduces blur caused by camera shake, which allows you to to use shutter speeds up to 4.5 stops slower than normal. The VR Mode can be set to Normal or Active, and Vibration Reduction can be turned on or off via separate two-way switches on the lens barrel.
- Aspherical Lens (AS): The lens has a curved, non-spherical surface which reduces aberrations, and allows for a more compact lens. Aspherical lenses correct distortion at wide angles, minimize coma, and other types of lens aberrations.
Lens Construction: The lens contains 12 elements in 11 groups, including 1 ED glass element and 1 aspherical element.
Optional Lens Hood: The NIKKOR Z DX 12-28mm f3.5-5.6 PZ VR lens has a bayonet style mount on the front for adding the optional HB-112 lens hood. Adding the lens hood will block stray light from entering the lens causing flare or ghosting. The hood also protects the front lens elements from accidental contact with surfaces that might scratch or otherwise damage the lens.
Filter Diameter: The NIKKOR Z DX 12-28mm lens features a screw-in filter thread that accommodates 67mm filters.
- Focal Length: 12-28mm
- 35mm Equivalent Focal Length: 18-42mm
- Zoom Ratio: 2.3x
- Mount: Nikon Z mount
- Format: DX (APS-C)
- Maximum Aperture: f/3.5 (at 12mm); f/5.6 (at 28mm)
- Minimum Aperture: f/16 (at 12mm); f/25 (at 28mm)
- Maximum Reproduction Ratio: 0.21x
- Angle of View (DX-format): 99° - 53°
- Minimum Focus Distance (measured from focal plane): 0.62' (7.44") at all zoom positions
- Diaphragm: 7-blade rounded diaphragm opening
- Filter Diameter: 67mm (screw type)
- Dimensions: Diameter 2.9", Length 2.5"
- Weight: 7.3 ounces