About the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Superlative, pro-quality performance
Superlative, pro-quality performance
If you're a serious Nikon shooter in the market for a fast, professional-grade telephoto lens, then the 300mm f2.8G ED VR II is probably already on your short list. With its incredible sharpness, speed, and matchless depth-of-field control for stunningly smooth background blur, this lens' results speak for themselves.
Nikon equipped this lens with VR II Vibration Reduction for up to four extra stops of shutter speed, allowing blur-free shooting without a tripod. And they gave it the brains to automatically switch to a special tripod VR mode when you mount your rig to a tripod using the included rotating collar. Plus, you can instantly switch from AF to manual focus with just a twist of the focus ring, thanks to manual focus override. Speaking of focusing, this lens also has the smarts to memorize a preset focus distance in advance, so you're all ready to go when the big moment comes. And finally, to protect your investment, Nikon used a rugged dust- and moisture-resistant magnesium die-cast barrel and a protective meniscus front lens element to ensure a lifetime of consistent performance for demanding pros like you.
- AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II telephoto lens
- compatible with Nikon FX and DX digital and 35mm autofocus film SLR cameras
- effective focal length:
- 300mm with full-frame (FX-format) digital or film cameras
- 450mm with DX-format cameras
- pro-quality Nikkor lens features extra-low dispersion glass elements and proprietary Nano Crystal coatings for superior image sharpness and consistent color fidelity across the image
- Vibration Reduction II allows sharply defined shots with exposure times up to 4 stops slower than non-stabilized shots
- Silent Wave Motor (SWM) for fast, silent autofocus
- autofocus can be overridden manually, with no time lag
- dust- and water-resistant magnesium-alloy design
- minimum focus distance: 7.2 feet (manual), 7.5 feet (autofocus)
- lens construction: 11 elements in 8 groups
- rounded 9-blade aperture design for more natural out-of-focus image areas
- filter size: 52mm
- lens is 10-1/2" long, 4-15/16" in diameter
- weight: 6.4 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years with registration
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- HK-30 lens hood
- rotating tripod collar
- LN-1 lens strap
- slip-on front lens cover and rear lens cap
- dedicated slip-in filter holder (accepts standard threaded 52mm filters)
- 52mm threaded NC (protective clear) filter
- semi-soft carrying case
- MFR # 2186
What's in the box:
- AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8G ED VRII lens
- Slip-on front lens cover (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- HK-30 Slip-on lens hood
- 52mm Filter holder
- 52mm Nikon NC filter
- LN-1 Strap
- CL-L1 Semi-soft case
- User's Manual
- 5 Years of Protection Extended Warranty sheet
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II
Overview: The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II lens is a bright super-telephoto lens that can be used for action sports, news gathering, and wildlife photography. It is designed for Nikon FX/35mm format cameras, but can be used with DX-format cameras. It is also fully compatible with Nikon TC-14E II (III), TC-17E II, and TC-20E II (III) teleconverters.
Nikon Super Integrated Coating (SIC): Nikon's Super Integrated Coating (SIC) offers superior color performance and substantially reduced ghosting and flare, by enhancing light transmission.
Nano Crystal Coat: Nikon's exclusive Nano Crystal Coat further reduces ghosting and internal flare to insure that fine, clear images are reproduced under a wide variety of shooting conditions, from sunny outdoors to spotlighted interior scenes.
Silent Wave Motor (SWM): The exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM) enables fast, accurate, and quiet auto focus.
Lens Construction: The AF-S Nikkor 300mm lens combines advanced NIKKOR optics and lens technology with a dust- and water-resistant magnesium die-cast body. Optically, the lens has 11 elements in 8 groups, including 3 ED (Extra-low Dispersion glass) lens elements for maximum sharpness and minimum chromatic aberrations.
Vibration Reduction II (VR II): The lens is equipped with Nikon's Vibration Reduction II (VR II) technology, which reduces blur caused by camera shake. When VR is enabled, the range of available shutter speeds is increased (including speeds up to 3.0 stops slower than those without VR), and permits hand-held, tripod-free photography in a wide range of situations. The lens features an On/Off switch for Vibration Reduction II, and a switch that lets you select Normal or Active VR. Normal Vibration Reduction should be used for mild camera shake during hand held shots and when panning. Active VR will compensate for strong camera shake, such as when taking pictures from a moving vehicle. You can use either mode when taking pictures using a tripod.
Internal Focus: Internal Focus (IF) provides fast and quiet autofocus without changing the length of the lens, retaining working distance throughout the focus range.
Focus Mode Switch: The lens includes a 3-way Focus Mode switch on the barrel of the lens. In the M/A position, Auto Focus can be over-ridden by rotating the focus ring to focus manually. In the A/M (Auto-Priority Manual) position, the sensitivity of the focus ring has been altered (requiring farther rotation) to reduce the possibility of accidental changes to focus due to unintentional operation of the focus ring. The M position allows for full manual focusing.
Focus Limit Switch: With the Focus Limit Switch, you can determine the focus distance limits for auto focus. If shooting subjects at close range (7.5' to 19.7'), the switch should be set to Full. However, if your subject will always be at a distance greater than 19.7', you can obtain faster focusing by setting the switch to "∞-6m."
Focus Operation Switch: The lens has a 3-way switch that lets you set the Focus Operation. You can choose from the following:
- AF-L: During AutoFocus mode, the focus can be locked by pressing one of the focus operation buttons. The focus remains locked while a focus operation button is pressed and held down.
- AF Memory Recall: The lens features AutoFocus Memory Recall, which saves and recalls selected focus distances. When the proper focus is obtained, pressing the Memory Set button will save the focus distance. An audible beep will confirm the memory is properly set. To recall the set focus distance, set the switch to Memory Recall and press the shutter release button halfway. The lens will beep twice to confirm the focus is recalled. You can turn off the beeps via the Sound Monitor switch, if desired.
- AF-On: This is the "normal" AutoFocus setting, allowing you to focus on a subject by pressing the shutter release button halfway.
Tripod Collar: The 300mm lens has a rotating tripod collar for attaching the tripod to the lens instead of the camera. This helps achieve better balance, and makes it easier to switch between portrait (vertical) and landscape (horizontal) orientation. Loosening the tripod collar lock screw allows you to rotate the camera without removing it from the tripod. The lens can rotate 360° inside the collar, and there are index markings every 90°.
Slip-in Filter Holder: The lens has a slip-in filter holder that will accept 52mm screw-on filters. The filters are first attached to the filter holder, then slipped into a slot in the lens. A 52mm NC (neutral clear) filter is supplied with the lens.
Diaphragm: The lens is equipped with a rounded 9-blade diaphragm which renders a more natural appearance of out-of-focus image areas.
- Type of Lens: Type G AF-S NIKKOR lens with a built-in CPU
- Type of Mount: Nikon F-bayonet type
- Focal Length: 300mm
- Filter Diameter: 52mm (slip-in type)
- Closest Focus Distance: 7.5' (with AutoFocus), 7.2' (with Manual Focus)
- Focusing Method: Internal focusing (IF) system, AutoFocus using a Silent Wave Motor, manually by a separate focus ring
- Aperture Range: f/2.8 to f/22
- Aperture: 9-blade, rounded
- Lens Construction: 11 elements in 8 groups (including 3 ED lens elements and some Nano Crystal Coat-deposited lens elements), as well as 1 protective glass
- Angle of View:
- FX/35mm Format: 8° 10'
- DX Format: 5° 20'
- Dimensions: Diameter: 4.9", Length: 10.5"
- Weight: approximately 6.4 pounds
Warranty Terms: Nikon offers a 1-year parts and labor warranty on this lens. An additional 4-year Extended Service Coverage is available at no charge if you register the product with Nikon within 10 days of purchase.