About the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Your sailboat cruise has arrived at another fascinating port of call. Now that you're outdoors on solid ground, you're going to want a lens that covers some distance while still having some versatility. The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR is a great choice when you want a lens that takes you from classic candid portraits of family members to the steel drum player on the deck of that impressive luxury cruiser across the bay. It's compatible with both full-frame and DX-format digital SLRs, and even works on many legacy Nikon film cameras. On DX-format cameras, the effective focal length becomes 120mm - 600mm, so the reach is truly impressive when fully zoomed-in.
Nikon's second-generation Vibration Reduction system will make it possible to grab sharp pictures, even when zoomed-in and hand-held. It even senses when you're using a tripod and engages a special mode to complement that type of shot. And the Silent Wave Motor autofocus system will acquire your subject quickly, quietly, and efficiently.
When it's time to go back on board, this Nikkor 80-400mm lens slips into its included ballistic nylon carrying case so it stays safe from the elements, scratches, and dings.
- AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR telephoto zoom lens (equivalent to 120-600mm on a 35mm SLR)
- Vibration Reduction allows in-focus shots with longer exposure times (up to four shutter speeds slower)
- contains one super-low dispersion and two extra-low dispersion lens elements for high resolution and contrast
- Silent Wave Motor for fast, quiet focusing
- compatible with Nikon film SLR and FX or DX format digital SLR cameras
- constructed of 20 elements in 12 groups
- minimum focus distance: 5.74 feet
- minimum aperture: f/32 (at 80mm); f/40 (at 400mm)
- filter size: 77mm
- dimensions: 3-13/16" x 8" (diameter x length)
- weight: 56 ounces (including tripod collar)
- warranty: 5 years with Nikon registration
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- lens hood
- removable tripod collar
- front and rear lens caps
- ballistic nylon lens case
- MFR # 2208
What's in the box:
- AF-S NIKKOR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR zoom lens
- LC-77 Front lens cap (installed)
- LF-4 Rear lens cap (installed)
- HB-65 Lens hood (installed)
- Tripod collar (installed)
- CL-M2 Lens pouch
- Shoulder strap
- User's Manual
- 5 Years of Protection sheet (warranty + extended warranty form)
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Features & specs
|Mount Type||Nikon F-mount|
|Sensor Size||Full frame|
|Lens Type||Telephoto zoom|
|Maximum Aperture||F4.5 (W) - 5.6 (T)|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years w/registration|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years w/registration|
Overview: The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR lens is a 5x medium to super-telephoto zoom lens that is suitable for portraits or long-distance wildlife and action photography. It is designed for use with either DX-format or FX/35mm format cameras. When mounted on a DX-format camera, the angle of view is reduced to 20°-4°, and the focal length range is equivalent to 120-600mm.
Tripod Collar: The lens includes a detachable, rotating tripod collar. When shooting with a tripod, you should attach it to the collar, not to the camera. Because of the size and weight of the lens, the tripod collar provides better balance. When the collar is attached, you can rotate the lens 180°, with three marked positions: 0°, 90°, and 180°.
Vibration Reduction (VR): The lens is equipped with Nikon's Vibration Reduction (VR) technology, which reduces blur caused by camera shake. When VR is enabled, the range of available shutter speeds is increased (including speeds up to 4.0 stops slower than those without VR), and permits hand-held, tripod-free photography in a wide range of situations. You can enable Vibration Reduction by using the VR On/Off switch, and choose between Normal and Active VR using the Vibration Reduction Mode switch. Both switches are located on the barrel of the lens.
Nikon Super Integrated Coating (SIC): Nikon's Super Integrated Coating (SIC) offers superior color performance and substantially reduced ghosting and flare, by enhancing light transmission.
Silent Wave Motor (SWM): The exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM) enables fast, accurate, and quiet auto focus. The ultra-fast and ultra-quiet autofocusing makes this an excellent lens choice for shooting video.
Internal Focus: Internal Focus (IF) provides fast and quiet autofocus without changing the length of the lens, retaining working distance throughout the focus range.
Focus Mode Switch: The lens includes a 3-way Focus Mode switch on the barrel of the lens. In the M/A position, Auto Focus can be over-ridden by rotating the focus ring to focus manually. In the A/M (Auto-Priority Manual) position, the sensitivity of the focus ring has been altered (requiring farther rotation) to reduce the possibility of accidental changes to focus due to unintentional operation of the focus ring. The M position allows for full manual focusing.
Focus Limit Switch: With the Focus Limit Switch, you can determine the focus distance limits for auto focus. If shooting subjects at close range (5' to 19.69'), the switch should be set to Full. However, if your subject will always be at a distance greater than 19.69', you can obtain faster focusing by setting the switch to "∞-6m."
Lens Construction: The AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm lens is constructed of 20 elements in 12 groups, including 4 ED (Extra-low Dispersion glass) lens elements for maximum sharpness and minimum chromatic aberrations, 1 Super ED lens element, and lens elements with a Nano-Crystal Coating to prevent internal reflections.
Diaphragm: The lens is equipped with a rounded 9-blade diaphragm, which renders a softer, more natural appearance of out-of-focus image elements.
Lens Hood: The lens comes with the HB-65 bayonet-type lens hood. The hood adds approximately 4-1/4" to the overall length of the lens. You can invert the hood and snap it onto the lens for storage, if desired.
- Type of Lens: Type G AF-S Nikkor lens with a built-in CPU
- Type of Mount: Nikon F-bayonet type
- Filter Diameter: 77mm
- Focal Length: 80-400mm
- Closest Focus Distance: 5.74' (Auto Focus), 4.92' (Manual Focus)
- Focusing Method: Internal focusing (RF) system, AutoFocus using a Silent Wave Motor, manually by a separate focus ring
- Aperture Range: f/4.5 to f/32 (at 80mm); f/5.6 to f/40 (at 400mm)
- Aperture: 9-blade, rounded
- Focal Length Scale: Graduated in millimeters (80, 105, 135, 200, 300, 400)
- Focus Distance Indicator: 1.5m to infinity (∞)
- Lens Construction: 20 elements in 12 groups (including 4 ED lens elements, 1 super ED lens element, and lens elements with a Nano-Crystal Coating)
- Angle of View:
- FX/35mm Format: 30° 10' to 6° 10'
- DX Format: 20° to 4°
- Dimensions: Diameter=3.8", Length=8" (8.616" w/caps)
- Weight: approximately 56 ounces
Warranty Terms: Nikon offers a 1-year parts and labor warranty on this lens. An additional 4-year Extended Service Coverage is available at no charge if you register the product with Nikon within 10 days of purchase.
The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR replaces these items
- 35mm equivalent focal length on Nikon APS-C cameras: 225-750mm
- optical stabilization allows in-focus shots with slower shutter speeds
- super multi-layer lens coating minimizes flaring and ghosting
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked