About the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR
From wide-angle landscapes and memorable wedding shots to fantastic-looking portraits, Nikon's versatile 24-120mm zoom delivers superior, professional-quality images no matter what comes your way. This lens's constant maximum f/4 aperture maintains your exposure settings throughout its entire zoom range for easier shooting with your SLR. And on-demand manual focusing lets you switch quickly from auto to manual focus with just a twist of the barrel.
Steady your hand-held shots
Built-in Vibration Reduction helps your photos come out crisp in all different sorts of lighting conditions. Built-in motion sensors steer a special set of optical elements inside the lens, neatly compensating for camera movement and stabilizing the image. You get much sharper pictures — even in low-light conditions where slower shutter speeds and hand motion can easily cause blurred images with a regular lens.
- AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR
- compatible with Nikon DX or FX digital, and select 35mm film SLR cameras
- 36-180mm effective focal length for DX sensor cameras
- built-in Silent Wave Motor for fast, accurate, and quiet autofocus
- Vibration Reduction (VR II) enables handheld shooting at up to four shutter speeds slower for sharper photos and video capture
- minimum focus distance: 18 in.
- minimum aperture: f/22
- lens construction: 17 elements in 13 groups
- three aspherical lens elements provide clear, accurate focus from one edge of the image to the other
- two Extra-low Dispersion (ED) lens elements offer superior sharpness and color correction
- Nano Crystal lens coating reduces flare and ghosting
- attachment/filter size: 77mm
- lens is 3-5/16" in diameter, 4-1/2" long
- weight: 25 oz.
- warranty: 5 years with Nikon registration
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- bayonet lens hood, front and rear lens caps, and soft lens pouch
- MFR # 2193
What's in the box:
- 24-120mm AF-S Nikkor zoom lens
- LC-77 Lens cap (installed)
- LF-4 Rear lens cap (installed)
- HB-53 Lens hood
- CL-1218 Soft lens case
- User's Manual (En/Sp/Fr + 11 other languages)
- Warranty form
- Product Registration sheet
- Nikon Extended Warranty offer
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR
Features & specs
|Mount Type||Nikon F-mount|
|Sensor Size||Full frame|
|Lens Type||Standard zoom|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years w/registration|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years w/registration|
Overview: The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR lens is a compact and versatile 5x standard zoom lens with an f/4 maximum aperture. It comes with a soft lens case and a bayonet lens hood.
Nano Crystal Coat: Nikon's Nano Crystal Coat further reduces ghosting and internal flare across a wide range of wavelengths for even greater image clarity.
Extra-low Dispersion (ED) Elements: The lens has two Extra-low Dispersion elements for superior sharpness and color correction. ED elements minimize chromatic aberration, even at the widest aperture setting.
Nikon Super Integrated Coating (SIC): Nikon's Super Integrated Coating (SIC) offers superior color performance and substantially reduced ghosting and flare, by enhancing light transmission.
Silent Wave Motor (SWM): The exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM) enables fast, accurate, and quiet auto focus.
Nikon VR II (Vibration Reduction) Image Stabilization: This lens is equipped with Nikon's VR II (Vibration Reduction) Image Stabilization, which uses voice coil motors to shift the lens. VRII enables hand-held shooting at up to 4 shutter speeds slower than would otherwise be possible. You can turn VR II on or off using the switch on the side of the lens. When switched on, you can also select the VR mode as follows:
- Normal: The vibration reduction mechanism primarily reduces the effects of camera shake in general, and while panning horizontally or vertically.
- Active: The effects of camera shake, such as that which occurs when taking pictures from a moving vehicle.
Internal Focus: Internal Focus (IF) provides fast and quiet autofocus without changing the length of the lens, retaining working distance throughout the focus range.
Focus Mode Switch: The Focus Mode switch on the barrel of the lens lets you easily switch between manual focus and auto focus. If you want to enable auto focusing, the camera must be set to Auto Focus, and the switch on the lens needs to be set to "M/A". With most Nikon D-SLRs, the lens gives you a manual override option, allowing you to rotate the separate focus ring while pressing the shutter release halfway.
Diaphragm: The lens is equipped with a rounded 9-blade diaphragm, which renders a more natural appearance of out-of-focus image elements.
Lens Hood: The lens comes with the HB-53 bayonet-type lens hood. The hood adds approximately 1-1/2" to the overall length of the lens. You can invert the hood and snap it onto the lens for storage, if desired.
- Type of Lens: Type G AF-S Zoom-Nikkor lens with a built-in CPU
- Type of Mount: Nikon F-bayonet type
- Filter Diameter: 77mm
- Focal Length: 24-120mm
- Closest Focus Distance: 1.5' at all zoom settings
- Focusing Method: Internal focusing (IF) system, AutoFocus using a Silent Wave Motor, manually by a separate focus ring
- Aperture Range: f/4 to f/22
- Lens Construction: 17 elements in 13 groups, including 2 ED, 3 aspherical, and some with Nano Crystal Coat-deposited lens elements
- Angle of View:
- FX/35mm Format: 84° to 20° 20'
- DX Format: 61° to 13° 20'
- IX240 System: 71° to 16° 20'
- Dimensions: Diameter=3.308", Length=4.473 to 6.231" (w/o lens caps)
- Weight: approximately 25 ounces
Warranty Terms: Nikon offers a 1-year parts and labor warranty on this lens. An additional 4-year Extended Service Coverage is available at no charge if you register the product with Nikon within 10 days of purchase.
The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR replaces these items
- 35mm equivalent focal length of 36-136.5mm on Nikon DX SLR cameras
- versatile zoom range for landscapes, people photography, and everyday shooting
- VR II vibration reduction and auto tripod detection for shake-free images
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?