About the Nikon Coolpix W100
Take this camera anywhere
The Nikon Coolpix W100 is a go-anywhere workhorse of a camera.
Take this camera anywhere
The Coolpix W100 camera is your rugged, reliable road trip buddy. It's waterproof down to 33 feet, freezeproof down to 14° F, and able to withstand drops of over five feet. It's a great family camera, thanks to a straightforward settings menu, oversized buttons, and a sleek, easy-to-hold chassis. It's the perfect go-anywhere camera.
Sharp still photos and vivid HD video
Still photos come out looking sharp and detailed, thanks to a large 13.2-megapixel image sensor. And if your subject is in motion — say, a snowboarding spouse or a surfing daughter — you have a couple of options: shoot up to 4.7 frames per second in burst mode, or switch into video mode and shoot gorgeous HD video.
Easy sharing options
Once you've shot your photos and video, you can share them with friends and family almost immediately. The Coolpix W100 has built-in Wi-Fi®, and it can also establish a link with your smartphone via Bluetooth® Low Energy (BLE) and copy each shot to your device instantly.
- 13.2-megapixel CMOS sensor
- 2.7" (230,000-dot) LCD screen with anti-reflection coating and 5-level brightness adjustment
- 3X optical zoom (up to 6X digital zoom)
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 30-90mm
- built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Low Energy for wireless file transfer and remote camera control
- NFC touch pairing with compatible Android™ devices
- 22MB internal memory
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards
- shutter speed: 1/2000-1 second
- ISO range: 125-1600
- waterproof down to 33 feet, withstands drops of up to 5.9 feet and can be used in temperatures as low as 14° F
- high-definition movie mode (up to 1080p resolution) with stereo sound
- 16 different scene modes and 11 in-camera editing effects for optimal settings and creative control
- self-timer lets you get in your own photos
- built-in flash
- target-finding autofocus with face detection and underwater face framing
- Smart Portrait System offers automatic settings to ensure great portraits
- Electronic Vibration Reduction (VR) and Motion Detection for sharp, steady shots
- continuous shooting mode captures up to 11 images at a rate of 4.7 frames per second
- white balance can be set to auto or adjusted to accommodate different lighting situations
Connections and Dimensions:
- USB port for connecting to your computer
- micro HDMI (Type D) output for viewing photos and videos on a TV (cable not included)
- standard 1/4" thread for tripod mounting
- 4-3/8"W x 2-11/16"H x 1-1/2"D
- weight: 6.3 oz.
- rechargeable lithium ion battery and charging station
- USB cable
- wrist strap
- cleaning brush
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 26515
What's in the box:
- Digital camera (white)
- EN-EL19 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.7V 700mAh 2.6Wh)
- EH-73P AC adapter (5V 1A)
- 2' UC-E21 USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro-B USB on other end)
- Cleaning brush
- Wrist strap
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Programs sheet
Nikon Coolpix W100 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Nikon Coolpix W100
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size||2.7"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||30-90mm|
|Highest Resolution||4160 x 3120|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080/30p|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||6.3|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Nikon Coolpix W100 can go anywhere with you. Built to withstand trips to the pool or playground, it is waterproof and shockproof. It has a 2.7" LCD monitor, a 3x wide angle zoom lens, and a 13.2 MP image sensor for shooting still images and Full HD movies.
2.7" LCD Monitor: The Coolpix W100 has a 2.7" TFT LCD monitor, featuring approximately 230,000 dots, and an anti-reflection coating. The LCD monitor has approximately 96% horizontal and vertical coverage in the shooting mode and approximately 100% coverage in playback mode. There is no separate viewfinder on the camera.
Image Sensor: The Coolpix W100 features a 1/3.1" CMOS image sensor with a total pixel count of approximately 14.17-million pixels. The effective pixel count is 13.2-million.
Optics: The Coolpix W100 digital camera uses a 3x Zoom-NIKKOR glass lens for superb image quality. The 4.1-12.3mm lens has an angle of view equivalent to that of a 30-90mm lens in 35mm photography. Coupled with the 4x digital zoom, the camera's total zoom capability is 12x. The angle of view is equivalent to that of an approximately 360mm lens (35mm format).
Waterproof-Shockproof-Dustproof: The W100 is designed for extreme conditions:
- Waterproof: rated equivalent to IEC/JIS waterproof class 8 (IPX8) for shooting images underwater at a depth of 10 meters (33 feet) for up to 60 minutes.
- Shockproof: rated compliant with MIL-STD 810F Method 516.5-Shock (drop test from a height of 3.9 feet onto a 2 inch thick plywood panel).
- Dustproof: rated equivalent with JIS/IEC protection class 6 (IP6X)
Note: A brush is included to help you clean the waterproof seals surrounding the battery chamber/memory card slot cover.
Vibration Reduction: The Nikon Coolpix W100 offers Electronic Vibration Reduction (VR). Vibration Reduction reduces blurring caused by camera shake when shooting. Slight hand movements causes blurred photos, especially when shooting at slow shutter speeds or when zoomed in.
SnapBridge: Nikon's SnapBridge app for smartphones and tablets helps you to stay connected to your camera. Using Wi-Fi, NFC, and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE), the Coolpix W100 can automatically transfer photos directly to your smartphone or tablet for sharing, editing, or uploading to social media. The SnapBridge app also lets you control the camera remotely. SnapBridge is compatible with Android devices (requires version 4.4 and up), and with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch (running iOS 8.4 or later).
Recording Media: The Coolpix W100 uses SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards to record still images and HD movies. In addition, the W100 has a built-in 22 MB internal memory for test shots.
File Formats: The Coolpix W100 records still images in JPEG format. HD and SD movies are recorded in MOV format (Video: MPEG-4AVC/H.264, Audio: PCM stereo). You have a choice of three still image size options and two movie options:
- Still Images:
- 13M: 4160 x 3120
- 4M: 2272 x 1704
- 2M: 1600 x 1200
- Full HD: 1920 x 1080/30p
- VGA: 640 x 480/30p or 15p
Flexible Buttons: The W100 has four Flexible Buttons down the left side of the monitor. You can select items in the shooting mode or playback mode according to the icon in the display adjacent to each button.
Shooting Modes: Using the camera's Flexible Buttons, you can select a shooting mode that is suited to the scene. You can select:
- Point and Shoot: The camera automatically determines the scene and selects the optimal settings, allowing you to take pictures with ease.
- Flash Mode/Self-Timer: When using flash, select from Auto Flash, Always Fire Flash, and Flash Off. Flash range is 1' to 10' in Wide Angle and 2' to 5'-6" in Telephoto. The camera is equipped with 3 Self-timers that allow the photographer to get into the picture: 10 seconds for group shots, 5 seconds for self-portraits, and a Smile Timer (automatically releases the shutter when a smile is detected).
- More Picture Options:
- Choose a Style: After choosing a shooting scene or effect, the camera automatically optimizes the settings for the selected scene. Choose from: Shoot night scenes, Shoot Close-ups, Photograph food, Shoot under water, Underwater face framing, Shoot at Intervals, Take a Series of Pictures (11 frames at about 4.7 frames per second), Photograph Fireworks, Shoot backlit scenes, Mirror, Add a Bubble effect, Add a Neon effect, Add a Cartoon effect, Take Soft Pictures, Create a Diorama effect, Shoot a miniature movie, and Add light trails.
- Decorate: Add a frame around your images when taking pictures. Three different frames are available.
- Change Colors: Select Brighter/darker, More Vivid/less vivid, or Highlight colors.
- Settings: You can select Change Sounds, Choose a Size, or Camera Settings
Movie Button: The W100 has a dedicated Movie Record button on the top of the camera to let you start recording movies at any time.
Playback Menu: You can view photos one at a time in full frame, or in a Thumbnail Playback of 7 images along the bottom of the screen (the currently select image is displayed in the top 3/4 of the monitor). You can also zoom in to magnify a single image up to 10x. When playing back movies, you can pause/resume, rewind/advance, and adjust volume. Other playback menu options include:
- Have Fun With Pictures: Select playback functions such as Exchange Messages*, Picture Play, Grading, and Favorites
- View: Select from View by date, or Slide Show (still images)
- Erase: You can delete current, selected, or all images
- Settings: Selections include Mark for Upload, Retouch, and Camera settings (16 different settings)
* Voice messages of up to 20 seconds (WAV format) can be attached to images.
Power Requirements: The Coolpix W100 is powered by the supplied EN-EL19 rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery. The battery is charged inside the camera in approximately 1 hour 40 minutes when connected to the EH-73P Charging AC adapter via the supplied USB cable. A fully-charged battery will last up to approximately 220 shots or 1 hour 30 minutes of movie recording on one charge.
Auto Off: When the camera is operated on battery power, the Auto Off mode will automatically turn off the monitor to reduce the drain on the batteries if no operations are performed for a while. If no operations are performed for another 3 minutes, the camera turns itself off.
AC Adapter: The camera can be powered using ordinary household AC current with the optional EH-62G AC adapter.
HDMI Output: The W100 has a Micro HDMI (Type D) output for connecting the camera to a TV.
Micro USB Port: The camera features a Micro USB port for connecting the supplied USB cable. The USB port allows you to download your photos to your computer or print directly on a Pictbridge-compatible printer. The USB interface is USB 2.0 Hi-Speed compatible.
ViewNX-i: The Nikon Coolpix W100 comes with no software in the package. Nikon ViewNX-i can be downloaded free from the Internet. It will work with the following Windows and Macintosh Operating Systems:
- Windows: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 (SP1)
- MAC: OS X version 10.10.5, 10.11.6, macOS Sierra version 10.12 (not compatible with version 10.12.1 or later)
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
3 questions already asked