About the Nikon Coolpix W300
Capture your outdoor adventures in Ultra HD
The rugged Nikon Coolpix W300 takes sharp photos and Ultra HD videos.
Capture your outdoor adventures in Ultra HD
The Coolpix W300 is ready for your next adventure. It's also waterproof down to 100 feet, freezeproof, and can withstand drops of over five feet. It's a great family camera, thanks to a straightforward settings menu, oversized buttons, and a sleek, easy-to-hold chassis.
Still photos come out looking sharp and detailed, thanks to a high-quality lens and image sensor, and you can shoot 4K video with something that fits in your pocket. You can even zoom in up to 5X to capture faraway subjects.
Autofocus and subject tracking
The camera's intelligent autofocus offers face priority for beautiful portraits. And if your subject is in motion — say, a snowboarding spouse or a surfing daughter — you have a couple of options: lock on with target-finding autofocus and shoot up to 7 frames per second in burst mode, or switch into video mode and film in gorgeous 4K.
Loaded with helpful features
You don't have to be a pro — this camera is user-friendly. It has 20 different scene modes, so you can automatically dial in the right settings for common scenarios like Snow, Sports, Fireworks, Food, and more. Eight in-camera editing effects let you make creative choices even after the photo is taken.
Easy sharing options
Once you've shot your photos and video, you can share them with friends and family almost immediately. The Coolpix W300 has built-in Wi-Fi®, and it can also establish a link with your smartphone via Bluetooth® Low Energy (BLE) and copy each shot to your device instantly.
- 16-megapixel CMOS sensor for excellent image quality and low light performance
- 3" (921,000-dot) LCD screen helps you line up your shots and review them afterward
- 5X optical zoom gets you closer to the action
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 24-120mm
- built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Low Energy for wireless file transfer and remote camera control
- NFC touch pairing with compatible Android™ devices
- 473MB internal memory
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards
- shutter speed: 1/1500-1 second
- ISO range: 125-6400
- waterproof down to 100 feet, withstands drops of up to 5.9 feet, and can be used in temperatures as low as 14° F
- 20 different scene modes and 8 in-camera editing effects for optimal settings and creative control
- self-timer lets you appear in your own photos
- built-in flash
- target-finding autofocus with face detection and subject tracking
- Smart Portrait System offers automatic settings to ensure great portraits
- Hybrid VR (Vibration Reduction) combines optical lens shift and electronic VR for blur-free photos and videos
- Electronic Vibration Reduction (VR) and Motion Detection for sharp, steady shots
- continuous shooting mode captures up to 5 images at a rate of 7 frames per second
Connections and Dimensions:
- USB port for connecting to your computer
- micro HDMI (Type D) output for viewing photos and videos on a TV (cable not included)
- standard 1/4" thread for tripod mounting
- 4-7/16"W x 2-5/8"H x 1-1/4"D
- weight: 6.3 oz.
- rechargeable lithium ion battery and charging adapter
- USB cable
- wrist strap
- cleaning brush
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 26523
What's in the box:
- Digital camera (black)
- EN-EL12 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.7V 1050mAh 3.9Wh)
- EH-73P AC adapter (DC output: 5V 1A)
- 36" UC-E21 USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro-B USB on other end)
- Cleaning brush
- Neck strap
- Quick Start Guide
- SnapBridge Connection Guide (for Coolpix)
- Connection Guide Errata sheet
- Warranty Programs sheet
Nikon Coolpix W300 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Nikon Coolpix W300
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||24-120mm|
|Internal Memory||99 MB|
|Image Stabilization||Optical + Digital|
|Highest Resolution||4608 x 3456|
|Video Resolution||3840 x 2160|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||8.2|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Rugged Design: The Nikon Coolpix W300's rugged design protects the camera from the following extreme conditions:
- Waterproof: Capacity to shoot pictures underwater up to a depth of 30 meters (98 feet) for up to 60 minutes. (IEC/JIS grade class 8 (IPX8) equivalent)
- Dust-proof: Protection against dust (IEC/JIS grade 6 (IPX6))
- Shock-proof: Capacity to withstand a drop of up to 8' onto a surface of 2" thick plywood (MIL-STD 810F Method 516.6 Shock)
- Freeze-proof: Operating temperature -10°C to 40°C (14°F to 104°F)
Note: See limitations regarding waterproof, dustproof, freezeproof, and shockproof attributes here.
Action Control: The Action Control feature lets you easily adjust specific camera settings, even with gloves on. The Action Control button, which activates the feature, is conveniently located on the left side of the camera. You can perform the functions by shaking the camera with your wrist in a single up/down or forward/backward stroke. Functions that can be performed include: Shooting Mode, Start Movie Recording, Quick Playback, or Exit.
GPS: The camera has a built-in GPS/GLONASS receiver, which allows you to record location data with your photographs. During shooting, GPS data is displayed in the monitor, including the current location by place name or its coordinates. The built-in GPS helps you track your progress, and share your locations with online sites as Google Maps or Google+ and other social networking sites. The camera also has an electronic compass and built-in mapping to help show you the way.
Note: Because GPS/GLONASS data is received from overhead satellites, you must be in an outdoor location with relatively few obstructions in order for the GPS/GLONASS to work properly.
Built-in Wi-Fi: The Coolpix W300 has built-in Wi-Fi (802.11b/g), which allows you to connect the camera with your smartphone or tablet. Through the wireless connection, you can automatically load photos and videos to your device as you take them, use your smart device to remotely take photos on the camera, or download existing pictures from the camera's memory card to your device. Once you have downloaded images to your smartphone, you can share them via email, texts, or social networking sites.
Note: The smart device must have the SnapBridge app. Available for devices running Android 4.4 and up, or iOS 8.4 or later (iPhone, iPad, iPod touch).
3" LCD Monitor: The Coolpix W300 has a 3" LCD monitor featuring approximately 921,000 dots, an anti-reflective coating and a five-level brightness adjustment. The LCD monitor has approximately 97% horizontal and vertical coverage in the shooting mode and approximately 100% in playback mode. There is no separate viewfinder on the camera.
Image Sensor: The Coolpix W300 features a 1/2.3", high-density CMOS image sensor with a total pixel count of approximately 16.79-million pixels. The effective pixel count is 16.0-million.
Optics: The Coolpix W300 digital camera uses a NIKKOR ED 5x wide optical zoom glass lens for superb image quality. The camera uses a 4.3-21.5mm lens, which is equivalent to 24-120mm in 35mm photography. Coupled with the 4x digital zoom, the camera's total zoom capability is 20x. The angle of view is equivalent to that of approximately 480mm lens (35mm format).
Vibration Reduction: The Nikon Coolpix W300 offers Vibration Reduction (VR) to reduce blurring caused by camera shake when shooting. The camera performs optical compensation for camera shake using the lens shift method. In other conditions, electronic VR is performed using image processing. You can choose Photo VR (for still images), Movie VR (for movies), or Off.
Recording Media: The camera uses SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards to record still images and movies, including SDHC and SDXC cards compliant with UHS-I. When shooting movies, cards with an SD Speed Class of 6 or faster are recommended. For 4K UHD movies, you should use cards rated UHS Speed Class 3 or faster. In addition, the W300 has a built-in 99MB internal memory for saving images.
File Formats: The Coolpix W300 records still images in JPEG format. 4K, HD, and SD movies are recorded in MP4 format (Video: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC; Audio: AAC stereo). You have a choice of eight still image size options and seven movie options:
- Still Images:
- 16M (high image quality): 4608 x 3456 (1:4 compression)
- 16M: 4608 x 3456 (1:8)
- 8M: 3264 x 2448 (1:8)
- 4M: 2272 x 1704 (1:8)
- 2M: 1600 x 1200 (1:8)
- VGA: 640 x 480 (1:8)
- 16:9 12M: 4608 x 2592 (1:8)
- 1:1: 3456 x 3456 (1:8)
- 2160/30p: 3840 x 2160 (16:9)
- 1080/30p: 1920 x 1080 (16:9)
- 1080/60p: 1920 x 1080 (16:9)
- 720/30p: 1280 x 720 (16:9)
- 480/30p: 640 x 480 (4:3)
- HS Movies:
- HS 480/4x: 640 x 480; 1/4x speed playback (record up to 15 sec; playback 1 min)
- HS 1080/0.5x: 1920 x 1080; 2x speed playback (record up to 2 min; playback 1 min)
Shooting Modes: You can choose one of the following shooting modes:
- Scene Auto Selector: The camera automatically selects the optimum scene mode for simple shooting: Portrait (close-up), Portrait (wide angle photos of large groups), Landscape, Night Portrait (close-up), Night Portrait (wide angle photos of large groups), Night Landscape, Close-Up, Backlighting (photos of subjects other than people), Backlighting (portraits), Underwater, or Other Scenes. All you have to do is frame the picture.
- Scene Mode: You can manually select a scene mode with settings optimized for the shooting situation: Portrait, Landscape, Time-lapse Movie, Sports, Night Portrait, Party/Indoor, Beach, Snow, Sunset, Dusk/Dawn, Night Landscape, Close Up, Food, Fireworks Show, Backlighting, Easy Panorama, Pet Portrait, Multiple Exposure Lighten, Superlapse Movie, and Underwater.
- Creative Mode: The camera saves four images with effects and one image without effects each time you take a photo. You can select from the following effects: Variety, Selective Color (Red), Selective Color (Green), Selective Color (Blue), Light, Depth, Memory, Classic, or Noir.
- Smart Portrait: If the camera detects smiling faces, the shutter is automatically released without pressing the shutter-release button (Smile Timer). You can use the Glamour Retouch feature to make facial skin tones softer.
- Short Movie Show: The camera creates a short movie up to 30 seconds long by recording and automatically combining multiple movie clips that are several seconds long.
- Auto Mode: A "point-and-shoot" mode with some user adjustments to suit the shooting conditions and type of shot you want to capture.
Continuous Shooting: In the continuous shooting mode, you can select in the menu from the following options:
- Single: One picture is taken each time the shutter-release button is pressed.
- Continuous H: Takes up to 5 full resolution pictures at a rate of about 7.5 frames per second while the button is pressed and held.
- Continuous L: Takes up to 10 full resolution pictures at a speed of about 2.3 frames per second while the button is pressed and held.
- Pre-shooting Cache: To prevent missing the perfect moment, the camera begins saving images when the shutter release is pressed halfway, then shoot continuously at about 20 fps from the time the button is pressed until the time it is released. Up to 25 frames, including up to 5 frames in the cache, are saved. (Image size is fixed at 1M 1280 x 960).
- Continuous H 120 fps: Up to 50 frames are captured at a speed of about 120 fps. (Image size is VGA 640 x 480)
- Continuous H 60 fps: Up to 25 frames are captured at a speed of about 60 fps. (Image size is 1M 1280 x 960)
Movies: You can record movies by simply pressing the red movie-record button. Color tones, white balance, and other settings are the same as when you are taking pictures.
Self-timer: The camera is equipped with a 10 second, 5 second, and 2 second timer for self-portraits or to prevent camera shake. In addition, the camera can use face detection to detect human faces, and automatically release the shutter when a smile is detected (Smile Timer).
Time-lapse Movies: The camera can automatically capture 300 still images at a specified interval to create time-lapse movies. The photos are shot at 1920 x 1080 and played by at 30 frames per second to create a movie that is approximately 10 seconds long. There are five time-lapse movie types:
- Cityscape: Photos are shot at an interval of 2 seconds for a total of 10 minutes of recording time.
- Landscape: Photos are shot at an interval of 5 seconds for a total of 25 minutes of recording time.
- Sunset: Photos are shot at an interval of 10 seconds for a total of 50 minutes of recording time.
- Night Sky: Photos are shot at an interval of 30 seconds for a total of 2.5 hours of recording time. This mode is suitable for recording the movement of stars.
- Star Trails: Photos are shot at an interval of 30 seconds for a total of 2.5 hours of recording time. Star movement appears as lines of light due to image processing.
AF Area Mode: You can select between the following AF Area Modes to determine where the camera focuses.
- Face Priority: When the camera recognizes a face (front view only), the camera will focus on the face automatically.
- Manual: You can manually select one of 99 focus areas in the monitor. This method is handy when the intended subject is not positioned in the center of the frame, and is relatively still.
- Center: The camera focuses on the subject in the center of the frame.
- Subject Tracking: For taking pictures of moving subjects. The camera moves the focus area automatically to track the registered subject within the frame.
- Target Finding AF: When the camera detects the main subject, it focuses on that subject.
Macro Mode: Macro mode is used for taking pictures of objects as close as 0.4". The flash may be unable to light the entire subject at distances less than 1 feet 8 inches.
Focus Lock: The Focus Lock feature is used to focus on off-centered subjects in the frame while shooting in Center AF mode.
AF-Assist Illuminator: If lighting is poor, the AF-assist illuminator may light to assist the focus operation when the shutter-release button is pressed halfway. The illuminator has a range of about 9'-10" at the maximum wide-angle and telephoto positions. You can turn this function on or off.
Blink Proof Function: The Blink Proof function is available when you are shooting in Smart Portrait mode. When the camera detects that one or more human subjects may have blinked, the blink warning screen is displayed. The subject is framed by a yellow border, allowing you to check the picture and decide whether or not to take another picture.
Exposure Compensation: You can alter the exposure from the value suggested by the camera, making pictures brighter or darker. You can adjust the exposure from -2.0 to +2.0 EV in 1/3 EV steps.
ISO Settings: Sensitivity is the measure of how quickly the camera reacts to light. The higher the sensitivity, the less light needed to make an exposure. The camera features the following ISO settings:
- Auto: Sensitivity is automatically selected from the range of ISO 125 to 1600.
- Fixed Range Auto: The camera automatically sets the sensitivity between ISO 125-400 and ISO 125-800.
- Manual: Sensitivity is locked at the set value: ISO 125, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, or 6400.
White Balance: You can set the White Balance to Auto, Daylight, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Cloudy, or Flash. You can also choose Preset Manual and use a neutral-colored object as a reference to set the white balance under unusual lighting conditions.
Built-in Flash: The Coolpix W300 has a built-in flash with a range of 1'-8" to 17' (Wide angle) and 1'-8" to 14' (Telephoto). You can choose from the following flash modes:
- Auto: Flash fires automatically when lighting is poor.
- Auto with Red-eye Reduction: Pre-flash fires before main flash to reduce red-eye effect.
- Flash Off: Flash will not fire, even when lighting is poor.
- Fill Flash: Flash will fire whenever a picture is taken.
- Slow Sync: Auto flash combined with slow shutter speeds.
AF Modes: When shooting still images or movies you can choose between three auto-focus modes:
- Single AF: The camera focuses when the shutter-release button is pressed halfway and locks at this position during recording.
- Full-time AF: The camera constantly adjusts focus, even when the shutter-release button is not pressed.
- Pre-focus: The camera focuses automatically if the composition of the framed image is significantly changed, even when the shutter-release button is not pressed halfway.
Copy: You can internally copy images and voice recordings between the camera's internal memory and an inserted SD-card.
Slide Show Playback: View pictures in the internal memory or on the memory card in an automatic slide show with 2, 3, 5, or 10 seconds between pictures, or advance them manually. If desired, you can loop the slideshow so it will continuously play. Maximum slide show duration is 30 minutes without operation.
Thumbnail Playback: During playback, you can view multiple thumbnail images (4, 9, 16, or 72) at a time. While these "contact sheets" are displayed, you can use the multi-selector to highlight individual pictures. Highlighted pictures can be deleted, if desired.
Calendar Display: This feature displays a calendar allowing you to select and view pictures taken on the same date.
Playback Zoom: During playback, you can enlarge a still image up to 10x. Once the image is zoomed, you can use the multi-selector to scroll around to non-visible portions of the image. You can record a new picture of the cropped image by pressing the shutter button.
Rotate Image: Recorded pictures can be rotated 90-degrees clockwise or counter-clockwise on the unit's LCD screen.
Editing Picture: You can use the Coolpix W300 to edit recorded pictures in-camera and store them as separate files. You can choose from the following editing functions:
- Quick Retouch: Quick Retouch can be used to easily create retouched copies in which contrast and saturation have been enhanced.
- D-Lighting: D-Lighting can be used to brighten dark or backlit subjects. While playing back an image, you can select the D-Lighting function, apply it, and save the corrected image without harming the properly exposed areas of the image.
- Glamour Retouch: The camera can apply a variety of effects to present more pleasant faces, such as Small Face, Skin Softening, Foundation Makeup, Glare Reduction, Hide Eye Bags, Big Eyes, Whiten Eyes, Eye Shadow, Mascara, Whiten Teeth, Lipstick, or Redden Cheeks.
- Quick Effects: You can apply a variety of effects using the digital filter effects, such as Painting, Photo Illustration, Soft Portrait, Portrait (Color + B&W), Fisheye, Cross screen, Miniature effect, and Fog Removal (underwater).
- Data Imprint: You can imprint information on top of your images, such as date/time, e-compass heading, altitude, water depth, latitude/longitude, etc.
- Resizing Pictures (Small Picture): You can create a small copy of a recorded image. The copy will be stored as a JPEG file with a compression ratio of 1:16. You can choose from the following sizes: 640 x 480 (suited to television playback), 320 x 240 (suited to display on web pages), or 160 x 120 (suitable for email attachments).
- Cropping: Create a copy containing only the portion visible in the monitor.
Multi-Language Menu: You can choose from 31 different menu display languages including English, Spanish and French.
Printing Pictures: You can print pictures stored in the internal memory or on the memory card. Pictures can be printed as followed:
- Printer or Photo Lab: insert the memory card into a printer, or take the memory card to a digital photo lab (images stored in the internal memory need to be transferred to a memory card prior to printing).
- PictBridge-compatible Printer: connect the camera to a PictBridge-compatible printer via USB cable
- Transferring to Computer: transfer the images to a computer before printing them via USB cable
Power Requirements: The Coolpix W300 is powered by a supplied rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (EN-EL12). The battery is charged in the camera using the supplied EH-73P Charging AC adapter and the UC-E21 USB cable. The supplied rechargeable battery will last up to approximately 280 shots or 1 hour minutes of movie recording on one charge. A fully-exhausted battery charges in about 2 hour 20 minutes.
Auto Off: When the camera is operated on battery power, the Auto Off mode will automatically turn off the monitor to reduce the drain on the batteries if no operations are performed for the length of time specified in the Auto Off menu. The time limit for the Auto Off mode can be set to 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes or 30 minutes.
HDMI: The Coolpix W300 is equipped with a micro-HDMI (Type D) output, allowing you to connect the camera to an HDTV. An optional micro-HDMI-to-HDMI cable is required.
Micro USB: The camera features a Micro USB connector for connecting the supplied UC-E21 USB cable. The Micro USB port is USB 2.0 Hi-Speed compatible, and is used for downloading your photos to your computer or connecting to a PictBridge-compatible printer. It is also used for charging the battery inside the camera using the supplied EH-73P AC adapter.
ViewNX-i: The Nikon W300 comes with no software in the package. Nikon ViewNX-i can be downloaded from the Internet. ViewNX-i software will work with the following Windows and Macintosh Operating Systems:
- Windows: Windows 10 (Home, Pro, Enterprise), Windows 8.1 (Pro, Enterprise), Windows 7 (Home Basic SP1, Home Premium SP1, Professional SP1, Enterprise SP1, Ultimate SP1)
- MAC: macOS Sierra version 10.12.5, OS X 10.11.6, 10.10.5
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?