About the Nikon Coolpix B600
Zoom in on faraway details
The built-in telephoto lens on the Nikon Coolpix B600 gets you 60X closer to the action.
Zoom in on faraway details
How can you get a clear photo of that rare bird nesting on the other side of the pond? The Nikon Coolpix B600 is ready for the moment, with a powerful 60X zoom lens built into a convenient point-and-shoot camera. Even at full zoom, optical vibration reduction keeps little hand tremors from sneaking in and blurring the image when you don't have time to grab your tripod.
Shoot in natural light
Bright daylight is easy to shoot in. But what do you do when you're in a dimly lit ballroom or photographing city streets at night? The B600's 16-megapixel image sensor works well in low light situations, allowing you to retain the warm, romantic quality of the existing light without using a flash. Then, if you're switching to a portrait in the same environment, you can employ the built-in flash to add a little brightness to your subject's face when you need it.
The B600 is equipped with Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, which lets you establish a constant connection with your compatible smartphone for instant photo sharing and remote camera control.
- 16-megapixel effective recording CMOS sensor
- 60X optical zoom (up to 4X digital)
- 3" vari-angle LCD screen (921,000 dots)
- Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® built-in
- records photos and video onto optional SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 24-1440mm
- ISO sensitivity settings: 100-1600 (3200 and 6400 available in Auto mode)
- self timer: 2 or 10 seconds
- optical image stabilization with vibration reduction for blur-free photos
- high-definition movie mode (up to 1920 x 1080 resolution)
- 19 pre-set scene modes
- 7 in-camera editing effects
- multiple continuous shooting settings
- up to 7 shots at 7 frames per second at maximum resolution
- built-in pop-up flash
- micro HDMI output (cable not included)
- high-speed micro Type B USB interface
- rechargeable EN-EL12 battery and charger
- USB cable
- neck strap
- lens cap
Connections and Dimensions:
- 4-13/16"W x 3-5/16"H x 4"D
- weight (with battery and memory card): 17.7 ounces
- warranty: 1 year parts and labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 26528
What's in the box:
- Digital camera (black)
- Lens cap
- Lens cap cord
- EN-EL12 Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (3.7V / 1050mAh / 3.9Wh)
- EH-73P AC adapter (DC output (5V 1A)
- UC-E21 USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro-B USB on other end)
- Neck strap
- Quick Start Guide
- SnapBridge Connection Guide for COOLPIX
- Warranty Programs sheet
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Nikon Coolpix B600
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||24-1440mm|
|Internal Memory||83 MB|
|Highest Resolution||4608 x 3456|
|Video Resolution||1920 x 1080|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||17.7|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Nikon Coolpix B600 is an advanced digital camera with a long 60x optical zoom. You can take beautiful 16MP photos or Full HD video using the 3" LCD. The camera has Lens-Shift Vibration Reduction for blur-free shots while zoomed in. The B600 features Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) that lets you share your photos instantly or for remote camera control. The camera comes with a rechargeable battery, a USB cable, and a fabric neck strap.
3" LCD Monitor: The camera has a 3" high resolution LCD monitor featuring approximately 921,000 dots, an anti-reflection coating and a five-level brightness adjustment. The LCD monitor has approximately 99% horizontal and vertical coverage in both shooting and playback modes. The B600 does not have a separate viewfinder.
Image Sensor: The Coolpix B600 features a 1/2.3" CMOS image sensor with approximately 16.76-million total pixels and 16.0-million effective pixels.
Recording Media: Images can be recorded onto SD, SDHC, or SDXC Memory cards. When an SD Memory card is inserted in the camera, the images are automatically recorded onto the card. Memory cards with an SD Speed Class rating of 6 or faster are recommended for recording movies. When no card is inserted, the images automatically record to the 83 MB internal memory.
Optics: The Coolpix B600 digital camera uses a Zoom-NIKKOR ED glass lens for superb image quality. Every aspect of the lens manufacturing process is controlled by Nikon. The Zoom-NIKKOR ED lens is designed for the specific camera and image sensor combination. The lens has a 60x optical zoom, and a focal length of 4.3-258mm that is equivalent to a 24-1440mm lens in 35mm photography. Coupled with the 4x digital zoom, the camera's total zoom capability is 240x. The angle of view is equivalent up to a 5760mm lens (35mm format).
Vibration Reduction: The Coolpix B600 offers Lens-shift Vibration Reduction (VR) image stabilization to reduce blurring caused by camera shake when shooting, especially at telephoto zoom positions or slow shutter speeds. When recording video, a 4-axis Hybrid VR helps smooth out up/down, left/right, in/out, and tilting movements.
File Formats: The Coolpix B600 records still images in JPEG format. HD and SD movies are recorded in MOV format (Video: MPEG-4 AVC/H.264, Audio: AAC stereo). There are eight still image size options and six movie options:
- Still Images:
- 16M: 4608 x 3456 (1:4 or 1:8 compression)
- 8M: 3264 x 2448 (1:8 compression)
- 4M: 2272 x 1704
- 2M: 1600 x 1200
- VGA: 640 x 480
- 16:9 12M: 4608 x 2592
- 1:1: 3456 x 3456
- HD 1080/30p: 1920 x 1080 (30 fps)
- HD 1080/60i: 1920 x 1080 (60 fps)
- HD 720p: 1280 x 720 (30 fps)
- VGA: 640 x 480 (30 fps)
- HS Movies:
- HS 1080/0.5x (1920 x 1080): 2x speed fast motion playback (record up to 2 min; playback 1 min); no sound
- HS 480/4x (640 x 480): 1/4x speed slow motion playback (record up to 10 sec; playback 40 sec); no sound
SnapBridge: SnapBridge is a new wireless connection innovation from Nikon that lets you transfer photos, even while shooting, upload photos to the Nikon Image Space cloud service, and remotely control the camera from your smartphone. SnapBridge utilizes a Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) connection between the camera and the smart device. A one-time setup is required to register the camera with the app, and thereafter, an automatic connection is made between the two devices. SnapBridge will let you imprint up to two pieces of credit information, such as copyright, comments, text, or logos, onto your pictures. You can receive firmware updates for your camera, and update the camera's date, time, and location info through your smart device. The SnapBridge app is currently available for Android (5.0 and up) on Google Play, and with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch (running iOS 10.0 or later).
Built-in Wi-Fi: In addition to SnapBridge, the Coolpix B600 has built-in Wi-Fi, which allows you to connect the camera with your smartphone or tablet. Through the wireless connection (IEEE 802.11b/g), you can upload photos and videos from your camera to your device. It is recommended that a Wi-Fi connection is used for large volume uploads. Once you have loaded the images to your smartphone, you can share them via email, texts, or social networking sites.
Shooting Modes: Using the top-mounted Mode Dial, you can choose one of the following shooting modes:
- Auto Mode: This is an automatic "point-and-shoot" mode recommended for first-time users of digital cameras. Available functions in the Auto Mode include: Creative slider, Flash mode, Self-timer, Macro Mode, and Shooting Menu.
- Scene Auto Selector: In the Scene Auto Selector mode, the camera automatically recognizes the shooting conditions when you frame a picture. Shooting scenes include: Portrait (1-2 persons), Portrait (large group of people), Landscape, Night Portrait (1-2 persons), Night Portrait (large group of people), Night Landscape, Close-up, Backlighting (for subjects other than people), Backlighting (for taking portraits), and Other.
- Scene Mode: You can manually or automatically select one of 15 scene modes with settings optimized for the shooting situation. Available scene modes include: Portrait, Landscape, Multiple Exposure Lighten, Party/indoor, Beach, Snow, Sunset, Dusk/dawn, Close-up, Food, Fireworks show, Easy Panorama, Pet portrait, Moon, and Birdwatching.
- Night Landscape: This mode makes it easier to successfully shoot night landscapes.
- Night Portrait: The settings let you shoot evening and night portraits that include background scenery.
- Backlighting: Use this setting to shoot backlit subjects.
- Sports: The camera uses fast shutter speeds to capture sports action.
- Creative Mode: The camera simultaneously saves four images with effects and one image without effects. You can select the following effects: Variety, Selective Color (Red), Selective Color (Green), Selective Color (Blue), Light, Depth, Memory, Classic, and Noir.
- Smart Portrait: You can take a picture with a glamour retouch function to enhance human faces. You can apply skin softening, foundation makeup, soft, vividness, and brightness effects.
- Short Movie Show: The camera creates a short 1920 x 1080/30p movie that is up to 30 seconds long by recording and automatically combining multiple movie clips that are several seconds long.
Continuous Shooting: In the Continuous Shooting mode, you can select in the menu from the following single or continuous shooting options:
- Single: One image is shot each time the shutter-release button is pressed.
- Continuous H: Up to 7 pictures are shot at a rate of about 7.7 frames per second each time the shutter button is held down. Image size is set to 16M: 4608 x 3456 pixels.
- Continuous L: Up to 14 pictures are shot at a rate of about 2 frame per second each time the shutter button is held down. Image size is set to 16M: 4608 x 3456 pixels.
- Pre-shooting Cache: To avoid missing a shot, the pre-shooting cache begins when the shutter-release button is pressed halfway, and continues when the button is pressed all the way. Frame rate is up to 15 fps. Up to 25 frames are captured, including up to 4 frames captured in the pre-shooting cache. Image size is fixed at 2M: 1600 x 1200.
- Continuous H 120 fps: Each time the shutter-release button, 50 frames are captured at a speed of about 120 fps. Image size is fixed at VGA 640 x 480.
- Continuous H 60 fps: Each time the shutter-release button, 25 frames are captured at a speed of about 60 fps. Image size is fixed at 1M 1280 x 960.
Self-timer: The camera is equipped with a 10 second and 3 second timer for self-portraits. In addition, the camera can use face detection to detect human faces, and automatically release the shutter when a smile is detected (Smile Timer).
AF Area Mode: You can select between the following AF Area Modes to determine how the camera selects the focus area for Auto Focus:
- Face Priority: When the camera recognizes a face (front view only), the camera will focus on the face automatically.
- Manual: You can manually select one of up to 99 focus areas in the monitor. This method is handy when the intended subject is not positioned in the center of the frame, and is relatively still. You can choose spot, normal, or wide to change the size of the movable focus area.
- Center: The camera focuses on the subject in the center of the frame.
- Subject Tracking: Once you select a subject to focus on, the focus area will move and follow the subject.
- Target Finding AF: The camera will adjust the focus on what it determines to be the main subject. If no main subject is detected, it automatically selects the subject closest to the camera as the subject.
AF Modes: When shooting still images or movies you can choose between the following auto-focus modes:
- Single AF: The camera focuses when the shutter-release button is pressed halfway and locks at this position during recording.
- Full-time AF: The camera constantly adjusts focus, even when the shutter-release button is not pressed.
- Pre-focus AF: The camera focuses when subject movement is detected, or the image composition is significantly changed, even if the shutter release button is not pressed halfway.
AF-Assist Illuminator: If lighting is poor, the AF-assist illuminator may light to assist the focus operation when the shutter-release button is pressed halfway. The illuminator has a range of about 4'-11" at the maximum wide-angle position and 9'-10" at the maximum telephoto position. You can turn this function on or off.
Blink Proof: The Blink Proof function is available when you are shooting in Smart Portrait mode. The camera automatically releases the shutter twice with every shot and saves one image in which the subject's eyes are open. This function can be turned on/off in the menu.
Exposure Compensation: You can alter the exposure from the value suggested by the camera, making pictures brighter or darker. You can adjust the exposure from -2.0 to +2.0 EV in 1/3 EV steps, using the multi-selector on the back of the camera.
ISO Settings: Sensitivity is the measure of how quickly the camera reacts to light. The higher the sensitivity, the less light needed to make an exposure. The camera features the following ISO settings:
- Auto: Sensitivity is set to ISO 125 when there is sufficient lighting, and raises the sensitivity to a maximum of ISO 1600 when lighting is dim.
- Fixed Range Auto: Select from two ranges in which the camera automatically sets the sensitivity: ISO 125-400 or ISO 80-800.
- Manual: Sensitivity is locked at the set value: ISO 125, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3200, and 6400.
White Balance: You can set the White Balance to Auto, Daylight, Incandescent, Fluorescent, Cloudy, or Flash. You can also choose Preset Manual and use a neutral-colored object as a reference to set the white balance under unusual lighting conditions.
Built-in Flash: The Coolpix B600 has a built-in pop-up flash with a range of 1'-8" to 22' (Wide angle) and 6'-7" to 11' (Telephoto). You can choose from the following flash modes:
- Auto: Flash fires automatically when lighting is poor.
- Auto with Red-eye Reduction: Pre-flash fires before main flash to reduce red-eye effect.
- Fill Flash: Flash will fire whenever a picture is taken.
- Slow Sync: Auto flash combined with slow shutter speeds.
Slide Show Playback: View pictures in the internal memory or on the memory card in an automatic slide show with 2, 3, 5, or 10 seconds between pictures. If desired, you can loop the slideshow so it will continuously play. Maximum slide show duration is 30 minutes without operation.
Thumbnail Playback: During playback, you can view multiple thumbnail images (4, 9, or 16) at a time. While these "contact sheets" are displayed, you can use the multi-selector to highlight individual pictures. Highlighted pictures can be deleted, if desired.
Calendar Display: This feature displays a calendar allowing you to select and view pictures taken on the same date.
Playback Zoom: During playback, you can enlarge a still image up to 10x. Once the image is zoomed, you can use the multi-selector to scroll around to non-visible portions of the image. You can record a new picture of the cropped image by pressing the shutter button.
Rotate Image: Recorded pictures can be rotated 90-degrees clockwise or counter-clockwise on the unit's LCD screen.
Editing Pictures: You can use the Coolpix B600 to edit recorded pictures in-camera and store them as separate files. An image can be edited up to 10 times. You can choose from the following editing functions:
- Quick Effects: You can process images with a variety of effects. You can select Painting, Photo Illustration, Soft Portrait, Portrait (color + B&W), Fisheye, Cross Screen, and Miniature Effect.
- Quick Retouch: Quick Retouch can be used to easily create retouched copies in which contrast and saturation have been enhanced.
- D-Lighting: D-Lighting can be used to brighten dark or backlit subjects. While playing back an image, you can select the D-Lighting function, apply it, and save the corrected image without harming the properly exposed areas of the image.
- Red-eye Correction: You can apply correction to images in which red-eye is caused by the flash.
- Glamour Retouch: The camera recognizes faces in pictures and creates a copy with softer facial skin tones. Other effects include glare reduction, whiten teeth, lipstick, redden cheeks, and various effects for the eyes.
- Resizing Pictures (Small Picture): You can create a small copy of a recorded image. The copy will be stored as a JPEG file with a compression ratio of 1:8. You can choose from the following sizes: 640 x 480 (suited to television playback), 320 x 240 (suited to display on web pages), or 160 x 120 (suitable for email attachments).
- Crop: Creates a copy containing only a portion visible on the monitor.
Printing Pictures: You can connect the camera directly to a PictBridge-compatible printer using the included USB cable, and print images without using a computer.
Power Requirements: The Coolpix B600 is powered by the EN-EL12 rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (3.7 volts, 1050 mAh, 3.9 Wh). The battery will last for approximately 280 shots (still images) or 65 minutes (movies) on a full charge. The battery charges in approximately 2 hours when using the EH-73P Charging AC Adapter and the UC-E21 USB cable (both included).
Auto Off: When the camera is operated on battery power, the Auto Off mode will automatically turn off the monitor to reduce the drain on the batteries if no operations are performed for the length of time specified in the Auto Off menu. The time limit for the Auto Off mode can be set to 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes or 30 minutes.
HDMI: The Coolpix B600 is equipped with a micro-HDMI (Type D) output, allowing you to connect the camera to an HDTV. An optional micro-HDMI-to-HDMI cable is required.
USB Port: The camera features a proprietary USB port on the side of the camera for connecting the supplied USB cable (UC-E16) to download your photos to your computer or PictBridge-compatible printer. The USB interface is USB 2.0 Hi-Speed compatible.
Optional AC Adapter: The optional EH-62F AC adapter has an insert that slides into the battery compartment so that you can power the camera using ordinary household current.
Downloadable Software: No software is included with the Coolpix B600. You can download Nikon's ViewNX-i software for uploading and viewing pictures and videos. In addition, Nikon's Capture NX-D, which launches within ViewNX-i, can be used for editing and fine-tuning photos, and to change the settings of NEF (RAW) images and convert them to other formats. For editing movies and creating multi-media projects, ViewNX-Movie Editor software (included with ViewNX-i) can be used.
Supported Operating Systems: ViewNX-i and Capture NX-D software are compatible with the following operating systems:
- Windows: Windows 10 (Home, Pro, Enterprise), Windows 8.1 (including Pro and Enterprise), and Windows 7 (Home Basic, Home Premium Service Pack 1, Professional SP1, Enterprise SP1, and Ultimate SP1)
- Macintosh: macOS Mojave 10.14, macOS High Sierra version 10.13, and macOS Sierra version 10.12