About the Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
When you're photographing high-intensity sports or high-energy toddlers, fast autofocus can be your best friend. It can make all the difference between crisply focused images of that winning soccer goal or junior blowing out the birthday candles, and a blurry mess. Nikon's AF-S DX 55-300mm VR zoom lens gives you the impressive telephoto power and fast autofocus you need for taking rapid-fire shots of far-off subjects, or even ones as close as 4.6 feet. Its versatile focal range and optical performance make this lens a great choice for snapping sparkling clear images with your Nikon digital SLR camera.
Steady your hand-held shots
The lens has built-in Vibration Reduction so your photos will come out crisp in all different sorts of lighting conditions. Built-in motion sensors steer a special set of optical elements inside the lens, neatly compensating for camera movement and stabilizing the image. You get much sharper pictures — even in low-light conditions where slower shutter speeds and hand motion can easily cause blurred images with a regular lens.
- AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR lens
- compatible with Nikon digital SLR cameras
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 82.5-450mm with APS-C (Nikon DX format) sensor cameras
- Vibration Reduction (VR II) enables handheld shooting at up to four shutter speeds slower for sharper photos and video capture
- built-in Silent Wave Motor for fast, accurate, and quiet autofocus
- ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass lens elements for superior optical performance
- minimum focus distance: 4.6 feet throughout entire zoom range
- rounded 9-blade diaphragm for softer, more natural appearing out-of-focus image elements
- minimum aperture: f/22
- lens construction: 17 elements in 11 groups
- attachment/filter size: 58mm
- lens is 3-1/8" in diameter, 5-3/16" long (without lens cap)
- weight: 18.7 oz.
- warranty: 5 years with Nikon registration
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- lens hood
- front and rear lens caps
- soft lens pouch
- MFR # 2197
What's in the box:
- AF-S DX 55-300mm Nikkor lens
- HB-57 lens hood
- LC-58 Snap-on front lens cap (installed)
- LF-4 Rear lens cap (installed)
- Soft lens pouch
- Instruction Manual (Eng/Fren/Span/+ 13 other languages)
- Warranty sheet
- Product Registration sheet
- Nikon Extended Warranty offer
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Overview: The Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm, f/4.5-5.6G ED VR lens is a 5.5x telephoto zoom lens, ideal for capturing distant subjects at athletic events, family pictures, sunsets, and travel shots, etc. It is designed for use with compact DX-format cameras, but can be used with larger FX-format cameras in the DX Crop Mode. The angle of view is equivalent to a focal length of 82.5 to 450mm in FX/35mm format D-SLRs.
Super Integrated Coating: Nikon's Super Integrated Coating (SIC) enhances light transmission efficiency and offers superior color consistency and reduces flare.
ED Elements: Two built-in Extra-low Dispersion (ED) elements offer superior sharpness and color correction by effectively minimizing chromatic aberration, even at the widest available aperture.
High Refractive Index: The lens features a High Refractive Index (HRI) lens element which keeps the lens compact while offering high contrast, even at maximum aperture.
Silent Wave Motor (SWM): The exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM) enables fast, accurate, and quiet auto focus.
Focus Mode Switch: You can easily switch between manual and auto focus operation by using the convenient A-M Focus Mode Switch, located on the barrel of the lens. If the camera is set to Manual Focus, the focus mode is Manual, regardless of the setting of the switch. For Auto Focus, both the camera and the lens must be set to AF.
Nikon VR II Image Stabilization: Engineered specifically for each VR Nikkor lens, the Vibration Reduction II Image Stabilization enables shutter speeds at up to 4 stops slower than would otherwise be possible. Vibration Reduction is performed through a lens-shift method using voice coil motors (VCMs). Even when the camera is mounted on a tripod, Vibration Reduction can reduce vibrations that may occur due to the shutter release. You can turn Vibration Reduction on or off using the VR switch on the barrel of the lens.
Diaphragm: The lens is equipped with a rounded 9-blade diaphragm, which renders a more natural appearance of out-of-focus image elements.
Lens Hood: The lens comes with the HB-57 snap-on type lens hood. The hood adds approximately 1-5/8" to the overall length of the lens. You can invert the hood and snap it onto the lens for storage, if desired.
- Type of Lens: Type G AF-S DX lens with a built-in CPU
- Type of Mount: Nikon F-bayonet type
- Filter Diameter: 58mm
- Focal Length: 55-300mm
- Closest Focus Distance: 4.59' at all zoom positions
- Aperture Range: f/4.5 to f/22 at 55mm; f/5.6 to f/29 at 300mm
- Lens Construction: 17 elements in 11 groups with 2 ED lens elements, and one HRI lens element.
- Picture Angle: 28°-50' to 5°-20'
- Dimensions: Diameter: 3.071", Length: 5.192"-6.847" (w/o lens caps)
- Weight: approximately 18.7 ounces
Warranty Terms: Nikon offers a 1-year parts and labor warranty on this lens. An additional 4-year Extended Service Coverage is available at no charge if you register the product with Nikon within 10 days of purchase.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?