About the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G
Wicked-sharp and lightning-fast, this Nikon 85mm lens delivers fantastic photographic images. You get state-of-the-art color, contrast, and clarity under all kinds of lighting conditions, even shooting wide-open at f/1.4. Lock this outstanding lens onto your Nikon SLR for pro-quality portraits, as well as outstanding landscapes and general purpose photography. Its large maximum aperture lets you take photos with a sharply focused subject and velvety-smooth blurred background. That large aperture also lets you use faster shutter speeds to "freeze" moving subjects — perfect for shooting crystal-clear photos indoors without a flash. Nikon's high-quality glass and Super Integrated Coating ensure superior results.
- AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G IF lens
- compatible with Nikon digital and autofocus film SLR cameras
- built-in Silent Wave Motor for fast, quiet autofocusing with Nikon SLRs, including the D40, D40X, D60, D3000, D3100, and D5000 cameras
- effective focal length:
- 85mm with full-frame (FX) sensor digital or 35mm film cameras
- 127.5mm with Nikon DX sensor cameras
- minimum focus distance: 2.79 ft.
- minimum aperture: f/16
- rounded 9-blade diaphragm renders smoother, more natural background blur
- rugged magnesium alloy body and weather sealing for moisture and dust resistance
- lens construction: 10 elements in 9 groups
- attachment/filter size: 77mm
- lens is 3-7/16" in diameter, 3-11/16" long
- weight: 21 oz.
- warranty: 1 year (5 years with product registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- front and rear lens caps
- lens hood
- soft lens case
- MFR # 2195
What's in the box:
- AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G lens
- LC-77 Snap-on front lens cap (installed)
- LF-1 Rear lens cap (installed)
- HB-55 Bayonet lens hood
- CL-1118 Soft Case
- User's Manual (English/ French/ Spanish/ + 13 other languages)
- Warranty form
- Product Registration sheet
- Nikon Extended Warranty offer
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G
Features & specs
|Mount Type||Nikon F-mount|
|Sensor Size||Full frame|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years w/registration|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years w/registration|
Overview: The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G lens is a fixed focal length lens with an ultra-fast f/1.4 aperture for high quality portraits and other low-light applications. It is designed for use with FX/35mm format cameras, but has been optimized for edge-to-edge sharpness on both FX and DX-format D-SLRs. When mounted on a DX-format camera, the angle of view is reduced and equivalent focal length becomes approximately 127.5mm (see Specifications below).
Nano Crystal Coat: Nikon's Nano Crystal Coat further reduces ghosting and internal flare across a wide range of wavelengths for even greater image clarity.
Nikon Super Integrated Coating (SIC): Nikon's Super Integrated Coating (SIC) offers superior color performance and substantially reduced ghosting and flare, by enhancing light transmission.
Silent Wave Motor (SWM): The exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM) enables fast, accurate, and quiet auto focus.
Internal Focus: Internal Focus (IF) provides fast and quiet autofocus without changing the length of the lens, retaining working distance throughout the focus range.
Focus Mode Switch: The Focus Mode switch on the barrel of the lens lets you easily switch between manual focus and auto focus. If you want to enable auto focusing, the camera must be set to Auto Focus, and the switch on the lens needs to be set to "M/A". With most Nikon D-SLRs, the lens gives you a manual override option, allowing you to rotate the separate focus ring while pressing the shutter release halfway.
Diaphragm: The lens is equipped with a rounded 9-blade diaphragm, which renders a more natural appearance of out-of-focus image elements.
Lens Hood: The lens comes with the HB-55 bayonet-type lens hood. The hood adds approximately 1-7/8" to the overall length of the lens. You can invert the hood and snap it onto the lens for storage, if desired.
- Type of Lens: Type G AF-S Nikkor lens with a built-in CPU
- Type of Mount: Nikon F-bayonet type
- Filter Diameter: 77mm
- Focal Length: 85mm
- Closest Focus Distance: 2.79'
- Focusing Method: Internal focusing (RF) system, AutoFocus using a Silent Wave Motor, manually by a separate focus ring
- Aperture Range: f/1.4 to f/16
- Lens Construction: 10 elements in 9 groups, some with Nano Crystal Coat
- Angle of View:
- FX/35mm Format: 28°-30'
- DX Format: 18°-50'
- IX240 System: 22°-50'
- Dimensions: Diameter=3.394", Length=3.232 (w/o lens caps)
- Weight: approximately 21 ounces
Warranty Terms: Nikon offers a 1-year parts and labor warranty on this lens. An additional 4-year Extended Service Coverage is available at no charge if you register the product with Nikon within 10 days of purchase.
The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G replaces these items
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 127.5mm
- large maximum aperture for better low-light photography
- compatible with Nikon digital and film SLR cameras
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?