About the Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
The logical next step
The logical next step
Once you know your way around the controls of your DX-Format Nikon camera, and you've got a few really good videos and photos under your belt, your next task should be obvious — pick up a few new lenses to increase your artistic options. Here's a great place to start: The go-anywhere AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens. With a 35mm equivalent focal length of 27-450mm, it will take you all the way from a panorama shot of the mountain range at your trail head, to a close-up of a swimming newt in the waterfall pool 20 feet away.
And with Nikon's VR II vibration reduction, you'll be able to work in less light than you'd expect, thanks to the slower shutter speeds you'll be able to use while keeping your images sharp. Plus, it's lightweight and compact compared to many other lenses of similar power, so it's perfect for times when you're on the move.
- AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR wide-angle to long-telephoto zoom lens
- Vibration Reduction II allows in-focus shots with longer exposure times (up to four stops slower shutter speed)
- 35mm equivalent focal length of 27-450mm
- contains three ED (extra-low dispersion) and three aspherical lens elements for high resolution and contrast
- Silent Wave Motor for fast, quiet focusing
- compatible with Nikon DX format digital SLR cameras
- minimum focus distance: 18 inches
- minimum aperture: f/22 (wide), f/32 (tele)
- constructed of 19 elements in 14 groups
- filter size: 77mm
- lens is 5-3/16" long, 3-5/16" in diameter
- weight: 29.3 ounces
- warranty: 5 years with Nikon registration
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- lens hood
- front and rear lens caps
- soft lens pouch
- MFR # 2196
What's in the box:
- AF-S DX 18-300mm Nikkor lens
- HB-58 Lens hood
- LC-77 Front lens cap (installed)
- LF-4 Rear lens cap (installed)
- CL-1120 Soft lens pouch
- User's Manual
- Warranty form
- Warranty information
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Overview: The AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR is an all-in-one zoom lens which covers a wide variety of shooting situations from wide-angle to high-power zoom. It is optimized for use with DX-format Nikon digital SLR cameras. Its 35mm equivalent focal length is 27-450mm.
Construction: The three Extra-low Dispersion (ED) elements and three aspherical lenses control chromatic aberrations while enhancing sharpness and contrast even at the widest aperture settings.
Nikon Super Integrated Coating (SIC): SIC offers superior color performance and substantially reduced ghosting and flare.
Built-in CPU: The lens has a built-in CPU which allows it to communicate with the camera body for focus and exposure functions. A set of CPU contacts is located on the lens mount for interfacing with the camera body.
Auto Focus: Nikon's Silent Wave Motor (SWM) enables ultra-high-speed autofocusing with exceptional accuracy and super-quiet operation. The manual/auto focus mode switch allows quick response to situations requiring manual focus operation.
Zoom Control: The lens features a large, textured manual zoom ring for easy zooming control.
Vibration Reduction (VR II): Vibration reduction minimizes the effects of camera shake allowing you to shoot handheld at as many as 4 shutter speed stops slower than would otherwise be possible, assuring dramatically sharper images. You can turn vibration reduction on or off with the switch on the side of the lens.
Aperture: Because there is no aperture ring on this lens, the aperture must be set on the camera.
Diaphragm: The lens is equipped with a fully-automatic, 9-blade diaphragm that produces a nearly circular aperture. Out-of-focus images in front of or behind the subject are rendered as pleasing blurs.
Lens Hood: The lens includes the HB-58 lens hood to protect the lens and block stray light that would otherwise cause flare or ghosting. The lens hood can be reversed and mounted on the lens when not in use. When installed, the lens hood adds approximately 2" to the overall length of the lens.
- Type of Lens: Type-G AF-S DX lens with built-in CPU
- Type of Mount: Nikon bayonet type (F-type)
- Filter Diameter: 77mm
- Focal Length: 18mm to 300mm (DX-format) (35mm equivalent: 27-450mm)
- Closest Focus Distance: 18" (at 300mm focal length)
- Maximum Aperture: f/3.5 (at 18mm), f/5.6 (at 300mm)
- Minimum Aperture: f/22 (at 18mm), f/32 (at 300mm)
- Lens Construction: 19 elements in 14 groups with 3 ED glass and 3 aspherical lens elements
- Length: 5.14" (5.662" w/lens caps)
- Diameter: 3.255"
- Weight: approximately 16.4 ounces
Warranty Terms: Nikon offers a 1-year parts and labor warranty on this lens. An additional 4-year Extended Service Coverage is available at no charge if you register the product with Nikon within 10 days of purchase.
3 questions already asked