About the Audio-Technica AT-LP5X
A great turntable gets an upgrade
Audio-Technica had a hit with the original AT-LP5, but they had a few more features they wanted to add. The AT-LP5X retains the built-in USB output that lets you use your computer to digitize your albums so you can take them with you when you're on the go. It also keeps the built-in phono preamp, but the new version is compatible with both moving magnet and moving coil cartridges. They also added a quieter low-torque motor, an upgraded cartridge and headshell, and the ability to play 78 rpm records. It's an excellent turntable made even better — call it the "X factor."
- USB Type-B output lets you convert vinyl records to digital audio files using your computer
- built-in switchable phono preamp for moving magnet and moving coil cartridges
- when switch is set to LINE, turntable must be connected to a standard line input (labeled AUX, CD, or TAPE)
- when switch is set to PHONO, turntable must be connected to an outboard phono preamp or dedicated phono input
- low-torque motor for reduced noise
- external power transformer for low-noise operation
- selectable speed: 33-1/3, 45 or 78 rpm
- J-shaped tonearm for accurate tracking
- includes lightweight AT-HS6 headshell with pre-mounted Audio-Technica AT-VM95E dual moving magnet phono cartridge
- frequency response: 20-22,000Hz
- anti-resonance die-cast aluminum platter
- USB cable for transferring audio to your computer
- male-to-male RCA cable
- Mac®- and PC-compatible Audacity software for digitizing records
- 45 RPM spindle adapter
- phono cartridge
- counterweight for accurate tonearm tracking
- heavy rubber damping mat
- removable hinged dust cover
- power cable
Dimensions and warranty:
- 17-3/4"W x 6-3/16"H x 14-1/2"D
- weight: 16.1 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AT-LP5X
What's in the box:
- Tonearm (pre-installed)
- Headshell/Catridge (stylus pre-installed)
- AC power adapter (attached 58" DC cord)
- AC power plug (US)
- 40" Stereo RCA cable
- 6.5' USB-B to USB-A cable
- 45 RPM adapter
- Dust cover
- 2 Hinges
- Quick Start Guide
Audio-Technica AT-LP5X reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Audio-Technica AT-LP5X
Features & specs
|Speeds||33-1/3, 45, 78|
|45 RPM Adapter||Yes|
|Detachable Power Cable||AC power adapter|
|Materials and Construction|
|Tone Arm Shape||J-shaped|
|Tone Arm Material||Aluminum|
|Tone Arm Lift||Finger/Lever|
|Tracking Weight||2.0 grams/20mN|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||50|
|Wow and Flutter||0.2|
|Dimensions and Warranty|
|Turntable Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Turntable Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Cartridge Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Cartridge Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Direct-Drive Turntable: The Audio-Technica AT-LP5X direct-drive turntable brings advanced technology and sleek, contemporary styling together for performance that looks as good as it sounds. Its precision-machined, die-cast aluminum platter is powered by a direct-drive, high-torque, low-noise motor that ensure stable, on-axis rotation at 33-1/3, 45, or 78 rpm. A 45 rpm adapter is included. 78 RPM records require an additional cartridge that is not included and sold separately (see Accessories Tab).
Anti-Vibration Construction: Constructed of anti-vibration damping materials with heavy-mass metal chassis inserts, the AT-LP5X turntable has been designed to limit low-frequency acoustical feedback. A 5mm thick rubber-damping mat isolates the platter from low frequency feedback while providing a highly stable surface for all LP formats. The turntable is also outfitted with anti-resonance feet that help to isolate the turntable from your stand or cabinet.
J-Shaped Tonearm: The LP5X retains the J-shaped tonearm, a design inspired by the classic Audio-Technica models of the 1960s and 70s, plus features a metallic gimbal suspension system and precision bearings to mitigate tracking errors. The tonearm also includes an adjustable counterweight and anti-skate control for accurate tracking.
AT-VM95E Dual Moving Magnet Stereo Cartridge: The Audio-Technica AT-LP5X comes fitted with a lightweight (9.3g) AT-HS6 headshell with a durable low-resonsance polymer housing, plus a black AT-VM95E dual moving magnet stereo cartridge with a 0.3 x 0.7 mil elliptical stylus and aluminum cantilever. Specially wound coils increase the cartridge's output voltage. The headshell/cartridge/stylus assembly will need to be installed to the turntable's tonearm.
- Frequency Response: 20-22,000 Hz
- Channel Separation: 20 dB (1 kHz)
- Vertical Tracking Force: 1.8-2.2 g (2.0 g standard)
- Stylus Construction: Bonded round shank
- Recommended Load Impedance: 47,000 ohms
- Output: 4.0 mV (at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec)
- Channel Balance: 2.0 dB (1 kHz)
- Stylus Shape: 0.3 x 0.7 mil elliptical
- Coil Impedance: 3,300 ohms (1 kHz)
- DC Resistance: 485 ohms
- Load Capacitance: 100-200 pF
- Coil Inductance: 550 mH (1 kHz)
- Static Compliance: 17 x 10-6 cm/dyne
- Dynamic Compliance: 7 x 10-6 cm/dyne (100 Hz)
- Vertical Tracking Angle: 23°
Note: Compatible with any AT-VMN95 replacement stylus.
Switchable Preamp: The AT-LP5X features a built-in switchable MM/MC phono/line preamp that enables it to connect directly to a computer, home stereo, powered speakers and other components that have no dedicated turntable input. The selection of MM/MC cartridges allow for an easy upgrade to a moving coil with additional equipment.
Stereo RCA Output: The AT-LP5X is outfitted with a set of stereo RCA outputs and comes with a 40" stereo RCA cable to connect to your AV receiver, integrated amplifier, or powered speakers. Use the "GND" terminal to connect the grounding line of the RCA cables to the ground terminal of the amplifier.
USB-B Output: The turntable is also equipped with a USB-B output and comes with a 6.5' USB cable for direct connection to your Windows PC (7-10) or Mac (OSX 10.7-11) computer. You'll need to download compatible Audacity or other 3rd party software onto your computer or laptop. Audacity software that lets you convert your records to MP3, WAV, or other digital audio file formats (up to 16-bit 44.1/48kHz).
Detachable Power Cord: The AT-LP5 includes an external AC power adapter with an attached 58" DC cord.
Hinged Dust Cover: The Audio-Technica AT-LP5 turntable comes with a hinged dust cover that is also removable.