About the Audio-Technica VM610MONO
Specially designed for monaural sound
Some legendary music was recorded in mono, and is being released as such for the enjoyment of audiophiles (example: The Beatles in Mono). Wouldn't you like to hear them as the original artist intended?
The Audio-Technica VM610MONO features a specialized body shape and internal wiring dedicated to top-notch monaural sound reproduction. The cartridge's dual moving magnets are internally linked in order to reduce noise and create a focused center image that you can't get from a stereo cartridge.
- linked dual moving magnet design for excellent monaural sound reproduction
- 0.6 mil conical stylus
- all-metal cantilever
- durable low-resonance polymer housing
- mono body design reduces surface noise
- frequency response 20-20,000 Hz
- output voltage: 3.0 mV
- tracking force range: 1.8-2.2 grams
- recommended tracking force: 2.0 grams
- load impedance: 47k ohms
- cartridge weight: 6.4 grams
- 11/16"W x 11/16"H x 1-1/8"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # VM610MONO
What's in the box:
- Dual moving magnet mono phono cartridge
- 2 Long screws
- 2 Short screws
- 2 Nuts
- 2 Washers
- User Manual
- Disposal Note
Audio-Technica VM610MONO reviews
After spending some time ruminating on whether or not a dedicated Mono cartridge was worth the expense, I decided to take the plunge at the same time I was replacing my stereo cart with the Audio-Technica VM540ML. While the VM610MONO might not be the final word on dedicated mono cartridges, I can honestly say I am pleased with the way my mono vinyl sounds. With this cartridge the mono records really pop (in a good way), the sound is very centered and full, surface noise seems much quieter, and (with proper set up and alignment) inner groove distortion has virtually been eliminated. And God help your neighbors if you decide to spin a few 45s with this cart. This does not sound like a cheap conical stylus by any means. So if you have a fair amount of Mono records in your collection, I think you will be pleased with this. And FYI, the newer reissues in mono (The Beatles box set, early Miles Davis on Columbia, etc.) sound fabulous. As usual, great price and service from the people at Crutchfield. Their return policy was one of the other reasons I decided to give the mono cart a try! It's a winner and I'm keeping it!
Pros: Better than a stereo cartridge for mono records, in my opinion.
Cons: You will need two head shells if you also listen to stereo records.
1 of 1 found this helpful
More details on the Audio-Technica VM610MONO
Dual Moving Magnet Mono Phono Cartridge: With a specialized body and internal wiring dedicated to monaural sound reproduction, the VM610MONO conical stylus cartridge is designed for playing mono records. Part of the 600 Series in Audio-Technica's new VM cartridge line, the VM610MONO is equipped with dual magnets that are internally connected to reduce record noise and obtain a highly focused "center" sound image that stereo cartridges can't provide.
- VM dual magnet cartridge with 0.6 mil conical stylus
- Aluminum cantilever
- Paratoroidal coils improve generating efficiency
- Mono body terminating left and right channels reduces surface noise
- Durable low-resonance polymer housing
Note: Mounting hardware is included.
- Frequency Response: 20-20,000 Hz
- Vertical Tracking Force: 1.8-2.2 g (2.0 g standard)
- Stylus Construction: Bonded round shank
- Recommended Load Impedance: 47,000 ohms
- Output: 3.0 mV (at 1 kHz, 5 cm/sec)
- Stylus Shape: 0.6 mil conical
- Cantilever: Aluminum pipe
- Mount: 1/2"
- Replacement Stylus: Part # VMN10CB
- Coil Impedance: 1,400 ohms (1 kHz)
- DC Resistance: 400 ohms
- Load Capacitance: 100-200 pF
- Coil Inductance: 230 mH (1 kHz)
- Static Compliance: 35 x 10-6 cm/dyne
- Dynamic Compliance: 8 x 10-6 cm/dyne (100 Hz)
- Vertical Tracking Angle: 23°
Dimensions: 0.75" (w) x 0.75" (h) x 1.125" (d)
Weight: 6.4 g (0.2 oz)
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?