Manual belt-drive turntable with pre-mounted cartridge, USB output, and built-in phono preamp
Our take on the TEAC TN-420-TD by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
Wouldn't the TEAC TN-420-TD look absolutely stunning next to your lava lamp?
Let your freak flag fly
Your records have grooves, so why not play them on a groovy turntable? TEAC used a clever hydro-graphic printing process to "tie-dye" the TN-420-TD turntable for your viewing pleasure. It features the solid body, precision-milled aluminum controls, and graceful S-shaped tonearm of the more conservatively dressed TN-400S, with some added flair.
On the practical side, the built-in phono preamp allows you to connect directly to just about any amplifier or receiver, and a dedicated USB output makes it easy to transfer your albums to your Mac® or Windows® PC for digital archiving. Once you save your favorite classic tunes to your hard drive, they're ready to go with you on your smartphone or other portable listening device.
Hear music, not noise
It's truly impressive how much clever engineering goes into something so laid-back looking. Under the turntable's polished exterior is a heavy MDF base designed to resist external vibration. The turntable's dense die-cast aluminum platter spins on a polished stainless steel spindle and bronze bushing that minimize friction for smooth, silent rotation.
A variable-speed belt-drive system isolates motor vibration, and it can play 33-1/3 or 45 rpm discs. The curved aluminum tonearm — equipped with an Audio-Technica AT95E moving-magnet cartridge — ensures super-accurate tracking and satisfying, rich tonal accuracy.
Enjoy psychedelic vinyl sound with minimal setup
You want to spend as little time as possible setting up your system so you can get to the joy of listening. That's why the TN-420-TD comes out of the box virtually ready to play. Its pre-matched, factory-mounted phono cartridge and tonearm take the guesswork out of installation, and give you optimized sound quality with minimal effort. A few simple steps to dial in key settings like tracking force and anti-skating are all it takes to get this 'table primed and ready to go.
- built-in phono preamp with line-level audio and integrated USB output (Windows® and Mac® compatible)
- recording software not included (TEAC recommends Audacity, a free sound recording and editing software program available at audacity.sourceforge.net)
- RCA analog output is switchable (LINE/PHONO) for use with external phono preamps
- 12" aluminum die-cast platter with heavy rubber mat to protect records from scratches
- S-shaped tonearm with universal headshell for improved tracking
- includes pre-mounted Audio-Technica AT95E moving magnet cartridge
- low-friction spindle reduces platter drag for more consistent speed and enhanced tonal accuracy
- high-density MDF base minimizes unwanted resonance for better sound
- high-torque DC motor
- detachable dust cover
- fully manual operation
- 33-1/3 and 45 rpm speeds
- rotation speed variation: ±2%
- wow and flutter: 0.2%
- signal-to-noise ratio: 67 dB
- gold-plated RCA audio jacks
- 16-1/2"W x 4-5/8"H (with dust cover down) x 14"D
- weight: 10.8 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 58" DC cord)
- 3 AC plug inserts (US/EU/UK)
- 39" Stereo RCA cable
- Felt mat
- 45 RPM adapter
- Headshell w/ cartridge
- Dust cover w/ 2 hinges (pre-installed)
- Owner's Manual
- AC power adapter instructions
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|45 RPM Adapter||Yes|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||67|
|Wow and Flutter||0.2|
Precision Two-Speed Belt-Drive Turntable: The TEAC TN-420-TD turntable features a Neoprene coated, high-inertia aluminum die-cast platter driven by a high torque-DC motor and a newly designed, low-friction spindle delivering precise speed consistency and tonal accuracy. The TN-420-TD supports 33-1/3 and 45 RPM playback for LP/EP records.
Heavy MDF Plinth: The turntable's heavy MDF plinth is designed to minimize unwanted resonance. It features a unique tie-dye finish.
S-Shaped Tone-Arm w/ AT95E MM Cartridge: The static-balanced S-shape tone-arm with Universal head-shell ensures fast and easy setup and delivers excellent tracking. The TN-420-TD comes with an audio-technica MM-type cartridge, which carries a reputation for accuracy, clarity and detail. The cartridge must be installed on the tone-arm.
Built-in Phono Equalizer w/ Phono & Line Output: Thanks to its built-in MM Phono equalizer amplifier, the TN-420-TD supports Phono or Line output which allows you to play vinyl with a stereo that is or isn't equipped with Phono input.
Gold-Plated Terminals: A pair of gold-plated RCA connectors are employed for reliable, durable connection to your receiver's Line Level or Phono input. Gold-plated terminals on the headshell connectors prevent oxidation of the head shell connectors and help to ensure years of reliable performance and to deliver stunning audio fidelity.
USB Port For Digital Recording: You can transfer music from vinyl records to your Mac computer or Windows PC, using the turntable's USB 2.0 digital output and its built-in A/D converter. The TI-made A/D converter allows you to transfer music via USB to your Windows PC or Mac computer, so you can digitize your vinyl collection. CD quality (16-bit/48kHz) digital archiving preserves your vinyl collection on your computer or laptop.
Supported Operating Systems: Computers running the following operating system can be connected by USB to this turntable.
- Window OS: Windows 7 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows 8 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows 8.1 (32-bit/64-bit), Windows 10 (32-bit/64-bit)
- Mac OS X: OS X Lion (10.7), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), OS X Mavericks (10.9), OS X Yosemite (10.10), OS X El Capitan (10.11), macOS Sierra (10.12)
Note: This unit will run with standard OS driver, so there is no need to install a special driver.
Dust Cover: The TEAC TN-420-TD comes with a detachable dust cover.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I love collecting vinyls and have been looking for a great turntable; love the design. [ Donna Jan 01, 2019 ]