About the Boston Acoustics HSi 470T2
Stereo playback from a single speaker
Stereo playback from a single speaker
If you want rich, detailed music but just have room for a single speaker, check out Boston's HSi 470T2. This crafty in-ceiling speaker uses a dual-tweeter design to deliver dynamic stereo sound without having to install a pair of speakers.
The HSi 470T2 is perfect for kitchens, hallways, or any other room where you want music from a single in-ceiling location. You'll enjoy crisp bass response from the 6-1/2" woofer, and smooth highs from the two 1" soft-dome tweeters. A discreet design and paintable grille let it easily blend in with your décor.
- stereo-input speaker plays both the left and right channels of the stereo mix
- dual 1" Kortec® soft-dome tweeters
- 6-1/2" Deep Channel® woofer for solid bass response
- unobtrusive frame and low-profile grille for discreet installation
- recommended amplifier power: 10-100 watts
- frequency response: 60-20,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 91 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms (each input)
- paintable magnetic grille
- cutout diameter: 8-7/8"
- overall diameter: 10-5/16"
- mounting depth: 4-9/16"
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # HSi-470T2
What's in the box:
- In-ceilling loudspeaker
- Phillips-head driver
- Self-adhesive "Boston" logo decal
- Paint shield
- Scrim cloth
- Hole Cuttiing Template
- Installation Instructions
- Product Registration Card
- Disposal note
More details on the Boston Acoustics HSi 470T2
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Power Range (Watts)||10-100|
|Connector Type||5-way post|
|Bi-Amp Inputs||Stereo input|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Stereo Driver Design: The Boston Horizon HSi 470T2 in-ceiling speaker utilizes a stereo driver design, featuring two 1" Kortec soft-dome tweeters for crisp, high frequencies and a dual voice-coil 6.5" DCD copolymer woofer for accurate midrange/midbass performance.
- Two 1" Kortec Soft-Dome Tweeters (Pivoting): Boston's exclusive Kortec tweeter utilizes a silk-like dome backed by a stiff material to provide smooth high-frequency reproduction and stability at high volume levels. The tweeters also pivot together (not individually) to allow you to aim the tweeters toward the primary listening position making speaker placement less restrictive.
- Dual Voice-Coil 6.5" DCD Copolymer Woofer: The Deep Channel Design (DCD) woofer uses a deeply grooved pole plate that enables the voice coil to travel farther for greater output without bottoming out. The woofer cone is made of a copolymer material with a butyl rubber surround for solid midbass performance.
Stereo Inputs: The HSi 470T2 can be used to play stereo from a single location when there is not room in the ceiling for a pair of speakers. There are binding-post terminals for both left and right channels. These two inputs feed the two separate tweeters and the woofer's two voice coils. The result is stereo sound in a location where you only want to mount one speaker. The two sets of binding-post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 12AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single or dual).
- There is a jumper wire on the back of the speaker which needs to connected to the "Dual Input Setting" connector on the back of the speaker, if you are going to use the HSi 470T2 as a single stereo speaker. Out of the box, the jumper wire is connected to the "Single Input Setting" connector for mono operation.
- You will need to connect both sets of binding post terminals to your amplifier (one to the right channel and one to the left channel), when using the HSi 470T2 as a single stereo speaker. You only need to connect one set of binding post terminals (labeled "Input A") to your amplifier when using the HSi 470T2 as a mono speaker.
- Configured as a single stereo speaker and using both inputs, the HSi 470T2 is rated at 8-ohms. Configured as a mono speaker and only using one input, the HSi 470T2 is rated at 4-ohms.
Direct & Diffuse Operating Modes: When used in home theater applications, the HSi 470T2 can be configured for diffuse or direct operation (there is switch on the front baffle behind the grille). If the surround speaker is located directly above the listening area, you can configure the speaker for diffuse operation. The HSi 470T2 can be set for one- or two-channel inputs, allowing the speaker to function as a single surround channel, or to operate as both a side and rear channel from a single ceiling location.
Reduced Bezel Design with Magnetic Grille: Boston's unique slim bezel design provides interior designers and consumers the look that blends with a room's distinctive design. The slim bezel design also offers an installer-friendly wide mounting flange to cover any imperfections in the cutout hole and magnetic grilles for easy finish work.
Note: Both the frame and grille can be painted to match the ceiling. A plastic paint mask is included to protect the speaker from being painted as well.
In-ceiling Installation: The Boston Horizon HSi 470T2 installs in a 8.875" (diameter) cutout opening. The required depth to install the in-ceiling speaker is 4.5625" from the mounting surface. Behind the opening there must be a 1" clearance around the cutout and speaker to accommodate the integrated mounting arms (or sometimes called "doglegs"). The mounting arms secure the speaker tightly in place. The ceiling material should be at least 1/4" thick.
Note: The NCBR6 new-construction bracket (sold separately) can be used to simplify installation in new construction
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?