About the RetroSound® Apache
Modern tech, retro look
Modern tech, retro look
RetroSound's Apache digital media receiver brings the modern world to your vintage Chevy truck. Now you can cruise in style and still enjoy iPod® control, Bluetooth® hands-free phone calls, and other amenities. RetroSound designed the Apache receiver to mount in your unique dash, using an ingenious adjustable shaft system that adapts to the dash opening. It's a perfect match for your classic truck's interior. And RetroSound backs up this receiver with a 2-year warranty.
Hands-free calling and digital sound
The Apache looks like an old-fashioned radio, but it offers all the modern conveniences. You can talk hands-free or stream audio programming to the receiver with your smartphone, and you can connect your iPod or USB thumb drive to the two rear USB ports. You'll find two auxiliary inputs on the rear of the receiver for other sources, like a portable music player. The Apache also offers excellent AM/FM reception, and will display song titles from any radio station that's broadcasting text information.
This RetroSound receiver features two sets of preamp outputs that make it easier to add amplifiers to your vehicle. You can adjust your bass from the driver's seat using the subwoofer level controls and variable low-pass crossover. Here's another cool feature — you can choose from 32,000 backlight colors so the Apache's LCD display will look just right in your Chevy's dash.
Make it a complete RetroSound system
Wanna add some serious power to your ride? RetroSound offers strong amplifiers to get the most impact out of your speakers and subwoofer. They also make low-profile car speakers that fit into a wide range of older cars and trucks, so you can be sure that your sound system will do justice to your vintage vehicle.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
This digital media receiver will not play CDs.
- digital media receiver designed for classic Chevy trucks (no built-in CD player)
- built-in amplifier (25 watts RMS/45 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- plays MP3 and WMA music files from external sources (no internal CD player)
- InfiniMount shaft/bracket system fits your Chevy truck's dash openings
- LCD display with 32,000 backlight color choices
- AM/FM tuner with 18 FM/12 AM presets
- 3 EQ presets plus user-controlled bass/treble adjustment
- subwoofer crossover and level controls
- iPod/iPhone direct control and charging via USB input
- inputs: dual rear 3.5mm auxiliary and USB inputs
- outputs: 4-channel preamp outputs (2.85-volt front, rear)
Other Features and Specs:
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AP-M2F
What's in the box:
- Shaft-style radio
- 2 Infinimount shafts with a 9" harness attached to each one
- 2 Infinimount metal brackets
- Main harness
- Power/Ground harness
- Speaker harness
- Microphone w/ integrated bracket (attached 8'cable terminated by 3.5mm connector)
- 2 Rubber shaft boots
- 10 Machine screws
- Self-tapping screw
- 10 Large metal flat-washers
- 12 Medium metal flat-washers
- 3 Small metal flat-washers
- 4 Large plastic flat-washers
- 6 Small plastic flat-washers
- 3 Lock-washers
- 2 Thick spacers
- 2 Thin spacers
- 2 Plastic cups
- 12 Large nuts
- 1 Small nut
- Metal backstrap
- 3 Vintage-style screen protectors
- Installation/Owner's Manual
- "Important" note
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the RetroSound® Apache
Vehicle Compatibility: The Apache, is specifically designed to fit the 1954-59 Series 1 & Series 2 Chevy trucks. The unit can be mounted virtually anywhere due to its small 4.0625" wide x 5.75" deep x 2.0625" tall overall footprint. Advanced installers can even unscrew the Apache's faceplate and adjust its cant/angle to allow for even more customization. There are vehicle specific faceplate & knob sets available (sold separately - see accessories tab).
Infinimount Shaft/Bracket System: The Apache radio features RetroSound's Infinimount Shaft/Bracket System. In this design the shaft-knobs are not mounted to the unit, but instead connect to the unit via a harness so you can space the radio's shaft knobs at various distances from the chassis of the radio (0.3125"-2.1875") using the supplied side-mount brackets. This insulated bracket and external shaft system also helps to reduce electrical noise inherent in older vehicles.
Variable-Color LCD: The RetroSound Apache features variable color display illumination. You can choose from one of 32 preset colors, have the unit scan through all 32 preset colors continuously, or customize your own color (RGB; 0-9). The custom setting allows you to individually adjust the intensity of Red, Green, and Blue (from 0-9) to better match your vehicle's interior lights. You can also adjust the brightness of the display from High or Low. The unit's front-panel display offers an enhanced viewing angle and is daylight compatible. The LCD will display clock, audio settings, tuner stations, and song/artist information from USB and iPod/iPhone.
Built-in Bluetooth: The RetroSound Apache is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (HFP/A2DP/AVRCP) allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone to the head unit. Before using your Bluetooth enabled device, it must be paired to the Apache. You can only pair one device at a time with this unit. Once paired, when your Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the RetroSound receiver, the auto connection function automatically connects the two units. The Apache is compatible with most Bluetooth enabled mobile phones, including the Apple iPhone & Android smartphones.
- Hands-Free Communication: The Apache allows for wireless communication between the head unit and your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone. You can answer an incoming call from the head unit's front-panel control knobs. Incoming phone call information will be displayed on the unit's front-panel LCD and your music will be pause or muted. You will still use your phone to dial a phone number and then the call will transfer to the RetroSound radio. Use the included external microphone to speak into during your phone conversation, while the other party will be heard through your vehicle's speakers.
- Wireless Audio Streaming: The Apache also allows you to play back stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled phone or personal music player using a paired Bluetooth connection. Playback controls included Play/Pause, Stop, & Next/Previous Track. This unit does not display song/artist information from Bluetooth audio devices.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the RetroSound Apache.
Dual USB Ports: The RetroSound Apache features two USB (type-A) ports connected to its rear chassis by a 40" pigtail. The USB ports enable connection of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as a portable digital audio player or USB thumbdrive. This unit supports MP3 (128 kbps +) and WMA (64 kbps +) in format FAT and FAT32. The unit can recognize a maximum of 999 songs/files (files will be read in order of creation and not alphabetically or numerically).
- Music Control: Once you've connected your compatible USB device, the Hermosa will find your songs instantly and automatically start playing them. You will be able to control basic playback functions of your music files such as Play, Pause, Skip Track, Intro Scan, Repeat Track, and Random.
- Song/Artist Info: The Hermosa also supports ID3-tags/WMA-tags for song/artist information.
- Battery Charging: USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (max. 0.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
- Not compatible with Android mobile devices.
- You cannot connect a USB device via a USB hub or Multi-Card Reader to this unit.
iPod Direct: Either rear-panel USB port can act as an iPod/iPhone high-speed direct connection when used with the USB/iPod cable that came with your iPod/iPhone. The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music and music apps to be loaded instantly to the unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 1-bit D/A converter. The RetroSound Apache supports audio playback of stored music or music apps, music navigation, information display, and charging of select iPod/iPhone models.
- iPod Control: You can control your connected iPod/iPhone from the head unit's front-panel control knobs. You can browse your iPod/iPhone's music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Composer, or Podcast. In addition, you can activate Repeat playback modes (all/track). Most iPod/iPhone device's clickwheel or touchscreen will be locked during connection (Apple devices w/ iOS 6.0+ will stay unlocked).
- iPod Display: The Apache will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information from stored music. The head unit will display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name and Song/Album title.
- iPod Charging: The unit's USB connection provides 0.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The RetroSound Apache is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 10/20/2016):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Dual Auxiliary Inputs: The universal shaft-style receiver features two 3.5mm auxiliary inputs connected to the rear chassis by 7" pigtails. The Aux inputs provide a connection for portable external audio sources such as a MP3 player or CD player.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The Apache features a built-in RDS AM/FM tuner. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations. The unit's tuner features 3 FM bands and 2 AM bands. A total of 30 AM/FM presets can be stored manually or automatically. Select between Local and Distant settings can aid in listening to weak FM radio stations or compensate for stations that have too strong of a signal. This unit's tuner can be set to USA or European tuning.
25W x 4Ch Amplifier: The Apache is equipped with a 25 watts x 4-channel RMS/45 watts x 4-channel Peak amplifier.
4Ch/2.85V RCA Outputs: The shaft-style receiver features front and rear 2.85-volt RCA outputs. The front and rear speaker RCA outputs are balance and fade adjustable.
Equalizer: The Apache features the following preset EQ curves (Classic, Pop, Rock, or Off) to customize your music listening. The Off mode activates a 3-Band EQ which lets you adjust Bass, Midrange, & Treble manually.
|Bass||60, 80, 100, 200 Hz||-7 to +7|
|Midrange||0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.5 kHz||-7 to +7|
|Treble||10.0, 12.5, 15.0, 17.5 kHz||-7 to +7|
XBAS: This function boosts bass & treble at low listening volumes, and should be turned off at higher listening levels.
Balance & Fader Control: The Balance adjustment function allows you to adjust or pan the stereo sound from the left or right; this is helpful to compensate for the position of the driver in relation to the speaker locations. Adjustment range is 0 to 12. The Fader Control allows you to fade the sound from the front pair of speaker to your rear pair of speakers. Adjustment range is 0 to 12.
Turn-On Volume: You can set the Apache to power-on to the same volume level (0-46) every time, or let it default to the last volume when turned off.
Key Beep: When this function is enabled, every knob turn or button press will output a beep tone.