About the RetroSound Daytona M4
Step up the audio in your vintage GM
Step up the audio in your vintage GM
Your classic '70's Chevy or Pontiac may look like it's in its prime, but its factory audio is way over the hill. If you've got a 1969-1977 Camaro, Chevelle, GTO, Tempest, Nova, or Firebird, RetroSound's Daytona M4 digital media receiver provides modern audio features, like Bluetooth®, USB ports, and an option for satellite radio, while totally complementing the look of your vintage vehicle. RetroSound also backs up this receiver with a 2-year warranty.
Lots of music options
The Daytona M4 allows you to talk hands-free or stream audio programming to the receiver with your smartphone, and you can connect your iPhone or USB thumb drive to the two rear USB ports. You'll find two auxiliary inputs on the rear of the receiver for other sources, like a portable CD player or high-res player.
Enjoy all types of radio
You can stream your favorite music apps using the built-in Bluetooth. And if you're looking for radio stations that'll stay tuned in when you drive out of town, add a SiriusXM tuner to this RetroSound to enjoy satellite radio's deep programming from coast to coast. The Daytona M4 also offers excellent AM/FM reception, and will display song titles from any radio station that's broadcasting text information.
Added installation and sound options
This RetroSound receiver features three sets of preamp outputs that make it easier to add amps and subs to your vehicle. You can adjust your bass from the driver's seat using the subwoofer level controls and variable low-pass crossover. For further customization, you can choose from 32,000 backlight colors so the LCD display will look just right in your dash.
Make it a complete RetroSound system
Wanna add some serious power to your ride? RetroSound offers strong amplifiers to get the most impact out of your speakers and subwoofer. They also make low-profile car speakers that fit into a wide range of older cars and trucks, so you can be sure that your sound system will do justice to your vintage vehicle.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
This digital media receiver will not play CDs.
- digital media receiver designed for select 1969-77 General Motors vehicles - chassis only, requires push button kit and knobs which you'll pick when you add to Cart
- no built-in CD player
- includes faceplate to match the layout in your classic GM
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- plays MP3, WMA, and FLAC music files from external sources (no internal CD player)
- LCD display with 32,000 backlight color choices
- AM/FM tuner with 18 FM/12 AM presets and RDS
- 3 EQ presets plus user-controlled bass/treble adjustment
- subwoofer crossover and level controls
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- iPod/iPhone direct control and charging via USB input
- inputs: two rear auxiliary inputs, two rear USB ports
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (2.85-volt front, rear, and subwoofer)
Other Features and Specs:
- built-in amplifier (25 watts RMS/45 peak x 4 channels)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DAY-M4
What's in the box:
- Radio body (M4)
- Display face
- 2 Infinimount shafts (with 11" harness attached to each one)
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 8'cable terminated by 3.5mm connector)
- Main harness
- Power harness
- Speaker harness
- 2 InfiniMount brackets
- 2 InfiniMount control face brackets
- 4 Bracket mounting screws
- 4 Face mounting screws
- 10 Large machines screws
- 4 Small machine screws
- 12 Large hex-nuts
- Medium hex-nut
- 4 Small hex-nuts
- 3 Lock-washers
- 8 Large flat-washers
- 8 Small flat-washers
- 2 Large spacers
- 2 Small spacers
- Large self-tapping screw
- Small self-tapping screw
- Rear-support stud
- Rubber boot
- User's Manual
- Quick Start Guide
- "STOP" note
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the RetroSound Daytona M4
Vehicle Compatibility: RetroSound's Daytona is designed specifically to fit select 1967-1977 GM vehicles. The compact size installs easily and discreetly behind the dash for a fully integrated look. It mounts seamlessly into your dash, with no additional faceplates or bezels needed (knobs and push-buttons sold separately)
Infinimount System: The Daytona (M2) radio features RetroSound's Infinimount System. In this design, the shaft knobs and the display face are not permanently mounted to the unit, but instead connect to the unit via a harness so you can space the radio's shaft knobs at various distances from the chassis of the radio, as well as mount the face independently from the chassis body using the supplied mounting brackets.
Variable-Color LCD: The RetroSound Daytona (M2) features variable color illumination display with over 32,000 of color variations. Choose from a selection of preset colors, have the unit scan through all preset color continuously, or customize your own color to better match your vehicle's interior lights. You can also adjust the brightness of the display to High or Low.
Built-in Bluetooth: The RetroSound Daytona (M2) is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (HFP/A2DP/AVRCP) allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone to the head unit. Before using your Bluetooth enabled device, it must be paired to the Daytona (M2). You can only pair one device at a time with this unit. Once paired, when your Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the RetroSound receiver, the auto connection function automatically connects the two units. The Daytona (M2) is compatible with most Bluetooth enabled mobile phones, including the Apple iPhone & Android smartphones.
- Hands-Free Communication: The Daytona (M2) allows for wireless communication between the head unit and your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone. You can answer an incoming call from the head unit's front-panel control knobs. Incoming phone call information will be displayed on the unit's front-panel LCD and your music will be pause or muted. You will still use your phone to dial a phone number and then the call will transfer to the RetroSound radio. Use the included external microphone to speak into during your phone conversation, while the other party will be heard through your vehicle's speakers.
- Wireless Audio Streaming: The Daytona (M2) also allows you to play back stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled phone or personal music player using a paired Bluetooth connection. Playback controls included Play/Pause, Stop, & Next/Previous Track. This unit does not display song/artist information from Bluetooth audio devices.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the RetroSound Daytona (M2).
Dual USB Ports: The RetroSound receiver features two USB (type-A) ports connected to its rear chassis by a 4" pigtail. The USB ports enable connection of portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) devices; such as a portable digital audio player or USB thumbdrive. Once you've connected your compatible USB device, the unit will find your songs instantly and automatically start playing them. This unit supports MP3 (128 kbps +), WMA (64 kbps +), and FLAC music files in format FAT and FAT32. The unit can recognize a maximum of 999 songs/files (files will be read in order of creation and not alphabetically or numerically).
- Controls: You will be able to control basic playback functions of your music files such as Play, Pause, Skip Track, Intro Scan, Repeat Track, and Random.
- Display: The receiver also supports ID3-tags/WMA-tags for song/artist information.
- Charging: USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (max. 0.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
- Not compatible with Android mobile devices.
- You cannot connect a USB device via a USB hub or Multi-Card Reader to this unit.
iPod Direct Connection: Either rear-panel USB port can act as an iPod/iPhone high-speed direct connection when used with the USB/iPod cable that came with your iPod/iPhone. The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music and music apps to be loaded instantly to the unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 1-bit D/A converter. The RetroSound Daytona (M4) supports audio playback of stored music or music apps, music navigation, information display, and charging of select iPod/iPhone models.
- iPod Control: You can control your connected iPod/iPhone from the head unit's front-panel control knobs. You can browse your iPod/iPhone's music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Composer, or Podcast. In addition, you can activate Repeat playback modes (all/track). Most iPod/iPhone device's clickwheel or touchscreen will be locked during connection (Apple devices w/ iOS 6.0+ will stay unlocked).
- iPod Display: The Daytona (M4) will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information from stored music. The head unit will display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name and Song/Album title.
- iPod Charging: The unit's USB connection provides 0.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The RetroSound Daytona (M4) is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features -
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Dual Auxiliary Inputs: The universal shaft-style receiver features two 3.5mm auxiliary inputs connected to the rear chassis by 7" pigtails. The Aux inputs provide a connection for portable external audio sources such as a MP3 player or CD player.
SiriusXM Ready: The Daytona (M4) is SiriusXM-Ready and connects to the SiriusXM SXV300 Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately). The SXV300 plugs directly into the head unit without the need for special adapters or cables. A SiriusXM subscription is also required. The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription. Check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here.
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
- Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, and Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's display
- Up to 15 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The Daytona (M4) features a built-in RDS AM/FM tuner. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations. The unit's tuner features 3 FM bands and 2 AM bands. A total of 30 AM/FM presets can be stored manually or automatically. Select between Local and Distant settings can aid in listening to weak FM radio stations or compensate for stations that have too strong of a signal. This unit's tuner can be set to USA or European tuning.
25W x 4Ch MOSFET Amplifier: The Daytona (M2) is equipped with a 25 watts x 4-channel (RMS)/45watts x 4-channel (Peak) MOSFET amplifier.
6Ch/2.85V RCA Outputs: The shaft-style receiver features front, rear and subwoofer 2.85-volt RCA outputs. The front and rear speaker RCA outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer RCA output is non-fading.
Subwoofer Control: When the subwoofer RCA output is active, you can adjust the output level (0-12) of the sub output. You can also set the low-pass crossover to 80, 120, or 160Hz.
Equalizer: The Daytona (M4) features the following preset EQ curves (Classic, Pop, Rock, or Off) to customize your music listening. The Off mode activates a 3-Band EQ which lets you adjust Bass, Midrange, & Treble manually.
|Bass||60, 80, 100, 200 Hz||-7 to +7|
|Midrange||0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.5 kHz||-7 to +7|
|Treble||10.0, 12.5, 15.0, 17.5 kHz||-7 to +7|
XBAS: This function boosts bass & treble at low listening volumes, and should be turned off at higher listening levels.
Balance & Fader Control: The Balance adjustment function allows you to adjust or pan the stereo sound from the left or right; this is helpful to compensate for the position of the driver in relation to the speaker locations. Adjustment range is 0 to 12. The Fader Control allows you to fade the sound from the front pair of speaker to your rear pair of speakers. Adjustment range is 0 to 12.
Turn-On Volume: You can set the Daytona (M4) to power-on to the same volume level (0-46) every time, or let it default to the last volume when turned off.
Key Beep: When this function is enabled, every knob turn or button press will output a beep tone.