About the RetroSound Denver M4
Modern features, the look of yesteryear
Modern features, the look of yesteryear
When I venture to classic car shows, I marvel at all the vintage rides. But, I often cringe at the less-than-optimal audio systems that owners try to work into their vehicles. RetroSound came up with a solution for drivers who want to show off the inside of their baby just as much as the outside. Their Denver M4 digital media receiver provides modern audio features, like Bluetooth®, USB ports, and an option for satellite radio, while totally complementing the look of your vintage GM, Mopar, or International vehicle.
Lots of ways to listen
The Denver M4 allows you to talk hands-free or stream audio programming to the receiver with your smartphone, and you can connect your iPhone® or USB thumb drive directly to either of the two rear USB ports. You'll also find two auxiliary inputs on the rear of the receiver for other sources, like a portable CD player or high-res player.
Enjoy your radio faves
You can wirelessly stream your favorite music apps such as Spotify, Qobuz, Amazon Music, and TIDAL using the built-in Bluetooth. And if you're looking for radio stations that won't fade away when you drive out of town, add a SiriusXM tuner to this RetroSound to enjoy satellite radio's deep programming from coast to coast. The Denver M4 also offers excellent AM/FM reception, and will display song titles from any radio station that's broadcasting text information.
Added installation and sound options
This RetroSound receiver features three sets of preamp outputs that make it easier to add amps and subs to your vehicle. You can adjust your bass from the driver's seat using the subwoofer level controls and variable low-pass crossover. RetroSound's Infinimount mounting system lets you adjust the spacing of the control shafts, so this receiver can fit in a variety of cars and trucks. For further customization, you can choose from 32,000 backlight colors so the LCD display will look just right in your dash.
Make it a complete RetroSound system
Wanna add some serious power to your ride? RetroSound offers strong amplifiers to get the most impact out of your speakers and subwoofer. They also make low-profile car speakers that fit into a wide range of older cars and trucks, so you can be sure that your sound system will do justice to your vintage vehicle.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Smartphone note: If you're going to use your smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
This digital media receiver will not play CDs.
- digital media receiver with control face designed for classic cars (no built-in CD player)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- plays MP3, WMA and FLAC music files from USB drive
- InfiniMount shaft/bracket system fits most car dash openings
- LCD display with 32,000 backlight color choices
- AM/FM tuner with 18 FM/12 AM presets
- 3-band equalizer
- 3 EQ presets plus loudness adjustment
- subwoofer crossover and level controls
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- iPod/iPhone direct control and charging via USB input
- inputs: two rear auxiliary inputs; two rear USB ports
- outputs: 6-channel, full-range preamp outputs (2.85-volt front, rear)
Other Features and Specs:
- built-in amplifier (25 watts RMS/45 peak x 4 channels)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DEN-M4-C-248
What's in the box:
- Shaft-style radio (M4 body)
- 2 InfiniMount shafts (with 11" harness attached to each one)
- 2 Infinimount metal brackets
- Main harness
- Power harness
- Speaker harness
- Microphone w/ integrated bracket (attached 8'cable terminated by 3.5mm connector)
- 10 InfiniMount screws
- 2 Self-tapping screws
- Dual-thread bolt
- Four 6mm nuts
- 3 Lock-washers
- 2 Metal washers
- 2 Plastic washers
- 2 Cupped washers
- Rubber stopper
- User's Manual
- Quick Start Guide
- "STOP" note
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the RetroSound Denver M4
Vehicle Compatibility: The RetroSound Denver (M4) shaft-style digital media receiver fits seamlessly into the unique 3.5" (w) x 1.5" (h) opening in the dash of your 1960 to 1980 classic vehicle. The nose of the Denver has rounded corners designed to fit flush in your classic vehicle and provide a factory-like fit without the need for a faceplate or bezel. Combined with replica knobs (sold separately) that mimic the look and feel of your original radio, the Denver is the perfect classic car stereo for adding modern stereo features with period-correct styling to the following 1960 to 1980 vehicles
- 1960 to 1963 GMC C/K Series
- 1960 to 1963 Chevy Suburban
- 1961 to 1980 International Scout
- 1966 to 1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass
- 1966 to 1967 Oldsmobile F85
- 1966 to 1967 Oldsmobile 442
- 1971 to 1975 Plymouth Roadrunner
- 1973 Dodge Charger
Note: The RetroSound Denver (M4) is available with a Black or Chrome faceplate.
Knobs Sold Separately: The RetroSound Denver (M4) does not come with knobs. There are multiple vehicle specific chrome and black knobs available for the Denver (M1A) that can be purchased separately. A separate trimplate or bezel is not required
Variable-Color LCD: The RetroSound Denver (M4) features variable color illumination display with over 32,000 of color variations. Choose from a selection of preset colors, have the unit scan through all preset color continuously, or customize your own color to better match your vehicle's interior lights. You can also adjust the brightness of the display from High, Medium, or Low. The LCD will display clock, audio settings, tuner stations, and song/artist information from USB and iPod/iPhone devices.
Bluetooth Technology: The RetroSound Denver (M4) is equipped with built-in Bluetooth allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone to the head unit. The Denver (M4) is compatible with most Bluetooth enabled mobile phones, including the Apple iPhone & Android smartphones.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the RetroSound Denver (M4).
Pairing: Before using your Bluetooth enabled device, it must be paired to the Denver (M4). You can only pair one device at a time with this unit. Once paired, when your Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the RetroSound receiver, the auto connection function automatically connects the two units.
Hands-Free Communication (HFP): The Denver (M4) allows for wireless communication between the head unit and your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone. You can answer an incoming call from the head unit's front-panel control knobs. Incoming phone call information will be displayed on the unit's front-panel LCD and your music will be pause or muted. You will still use your phone to dial a phone number and then the call will transfer to the RetroSound radio. Use the included external microphone to speak into during your phone conversation, while the other party will be heard through your vehicle's speakers.
Wireless Audio Streaming (AD2P/AVRCP): The Denver (M4) also allows you to play back stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled phone or personal music player using a paired Bluetooth connection. Playback controls included Play/Pause, Stop, & Next/Previous Track. This unit does not display song/artist information from Bluetooth audio devices.
Dual USB Ports: The RetroSound Denver (M4) features two USB (type-A) ports connected to its rear chassis by a 20" pigtail. The USB ports enable connection of portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) devices; such as a portable digital audio player or USB thumbdrive. Once you've connected your compatible USB device, the Denver (M4) will find your songs instantly and automatically start playing them. This unit supports MP3 (128 kbps +), WMA (64 kbps +), and FLAC music files in format FAT and FAT32. The unit can recognize a maximum of 999 songs/files (files will be read in order of creation and not alphabetically or numerically).
- Controls: You will be able to control basic playback functions of your music files such as Play, Pause, Skip Track, Intro Scan, Repeat Track, and Random.
- Display: The Denver (M4) also supports ID3-tags/WMA-tags for song/artist information.
- Charging: USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (max. 0.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
- Not compatible with Android mobile devices.
- You cannot connect a USB device via a USB hub or Multi-Card Reader to this unit.
iPod/iPhone Direct Connect: Either rear-panel USB port can act as an iPod/iPhone high-speed direct connection when used with the USB/iPod cable that came with your iPod/iPhone. The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music and music apps to be loaded instantly to the unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 1-bit D/A converter. The RetroSound Denver (M4) supports audio playback of stored music or music apps, music navigation, information display, and charging of select iPod/iPhone models.
- Control: You can control your connected iPod/iPhone from the head unit's front-panel control knobs. You can browse your iPod/iPhone's music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Composer, or Podcast. In addition, you can activate Repeat playback modes (all/track). Most iPod/iPhone device's clickwheel or touchscreen will be locked during connection (Apple devices w/ iOS 6.0+ will stay unlocked).
- Display: The Denver (M4) will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information from stored music. The head unit will display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name and Song/Album title.
- Charging: The unit's USB connection provides 0.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility: The Denver (M4) supports select 30-pin and Lightning-connector iPod and iPhone models (not compatible with iPad).
- Full Size: Classic (all generations)
- Nano: 3rd Generation and newer
- Touch: 2nd Generation and newer
- iPhone: 3G and newer
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Dual Auxiliary Inputs: The universal shaft-style receiver features two 3.5mm auxiliary inputs connected to the rear chassis by 7" pigtails. The Aux inputs provide a connection for portable external audio sources such as a MP3 player or CD player.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The Denver (M4) features a built-in RDS AM/FM tuner. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations. The unit's tuner features 3 FM bands and 2 AM bands. A total of 30 AM/FM presets can be stored manually or automatically. Select between Local and Distant settings can aid in listening to weak FM radio stations or compensate for stations that have too strong of a signal. This unit's tuner can be set to USA or European tuning.
SiriusXM Ready: The Denver (M4) is SiriusXM-Ready and connects to the SiriusXM SXV300 Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately). The SXV300 plugs directly into the Denver (M4) without the need for special adapters or cables. A SiriusXM subscription is also required. The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription. Check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here.
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
- Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, and Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's display
- Up to 15 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Denver (M4) is equipped with a 25 watts x 4-channel (RMS)/45 watts x 4-channel (Peak) MOSFET amplifier.
6Ch/2.85V RCA Outputs: The universal shaft-style receiver features front, rear and subwoofer 2.85-volt RCA outputs. The front and rear speaker RCA outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer RCA output is non-fading.
Subwoofer Control: When the subwoofer RCA output is active, you can adjust the output level (0-12) of the sub output. You can also set the low-pass crossover to 80, 120, or 160Hz.
Equalizer: The Denver (M4) features the following preset EQ curves (Classic, Pop, Rock, or Off) to customize your music listening. The Off mode activates a 3-Band EQ which lets you adjust Bass, Midrange, & Treble manually.
|Bass||60, 80, 100, 200 Hz||-7 to +7|
|Midrange||0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.5 kHz||-7 to +7|
|Treble||10.0, 12.5, 15.0, 17.5 kHz||-7 to +7|
XBAS: This function boosts bass & treble at low listening volumes, and should be turned off at higher listening levels.
Balance & Fader Control: The Balance adjustment function allows you to adjust or pan the stereo sound from the left or right; this is helpful to compensate for the position of the driver in relation to the speaker locations. Adjustment range is 0 to 12. The Fader Control allows you to fade the sound from the front pair of speaker to your rear pair of speakers. Adjustment range is 0 to 12.
Turn-On Volume: You can set the Denver (M4) to power-on to the same volume level (0-46) every time, or let it default to the last volume when turned off.
Key Beep: When this function is enabled, every knob turn or button press will output a beep tone.