About the RetroSound Huntington M4
New tech in an older Ford
New tech in an older Ford
For classic Ford Bronco and F-Series pickup owners, RetroSound's Huntington M4 digital media receiver merges modern car stereo technologies with Ford's unique factory radio layout. It includes a separate faceplate that fits the factory dash cutouts, while an umbilical cable attaches the faceplate to the radio chassis that mounts behind the dash. So, you get old-school looks with a bevy of new-school features, such as Bluetooth®, USB inputs, iPod® control, and a variable color display – all without cutting your dash.
The Huntington isn't just for select Ford models. If you have a vintage hot rod with a challenging dash, this receiver could be a great solution.
Hands-free calling and digital sound
You can talk hands-free or stream audio programming to the receiver with your smartphone, and you can connect your iPod or USB thumb drive to the two rear USB ports. You'll find two auxiliary inputs on the rear of the receiver for other sources, like a portable audio player. The Huntington also offers excellent AM/FM reception, and the built-in Radio Data System (RDS) enables it to display song titles from any radio station that's broadcasting text information.
Looks and connectivity
This RetroSound receiver features five preamp outputs that make it easier to add amps and subs to your vehicle. You can adjust your bass from the driver's seat using the subwoofer level controls and variable low-pass crossover. Here's another cool feature that enables you to customize your look — you can choose from 32,000 backlight colors so the LCD display will look just right in your dash.
Enjoy your radio faves
If you're looking for radio stations that won't fade away when you drive out of town, add a SiriusXM tuner to this RetroSound to enjoy satellite radio's deep programming from coast to coast. The Huntington also offers excellent AM/FM reception, and will display song titles from any radio station that's broadcasting text information.
Make it a complete RetroSound system
Wanna add some serious power to your ride? RetroSound offers strong amplifiers to get the most impact out of your speakers and subwoofer. They also make low-profile car speakers that fit into a wide range of older cars and trucks, so you can be sure that your sound system will do justice to your vintage vehicle.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
This digital media receiver will not play CDs.
- digital media receiver designed for classic Ford Bronco and F-series pickup (no built-in CD player)
- plays MP3, WMA, and FLAC music files from external sources
- InfiniMount shaft/bracket system
- LCD display with 32,000 backlight color choices
- non-volatile memory to retain saved presets when radio is disconnected from power
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- iPod/iPhone direct control and charging via USB input
- AM/FM tuner with 18 FM/12 AM presets and RDS
- 3 EQ presets plus user-controlled bass/treble adjustment
- subwoofer crossover and level controls
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: dual rear auxiliary and USB inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (2.85-volt front, rear, and mono subwoofer)
Other Features and Specs:
- built-in amplifier (25 watts RMS/45 peak x 4 channels)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # Huntington-07-80 M4
What's in the box:
- Chassis-body (M4)
- 2 Infinimount shafts with a 9" harness attached to each one
- 2 Infinimount metal brackets
- Main harness
- Powerd/ground harness
- Speaker harness
- Microphone w/ integrated bracket (attached 8'cable terminated by 3.5mm connector)
- 2 Rubber shaft boots
- 2 Chrome knobs
- 2 Chrome dials
- 8 Large metal washers
- 8 Small metal washers
- 4 Large plastic washers
- 6 Small plastic washers
- 2 Thin plastic spacers
- 2 Thick plastic spacers
- 2 Plastic cups
- 12 Large Hex-nuts
- Small hex-nut
- 10 Machines crews
- 2 Threaded inserts
- Self-tapping screw
- 3 Lock-washers
- Metal backstrap
- Owner's Manual
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Note
RetroSound Huntington M4 reviews
Perfect fit for my '66 F-100. The look is great but the sound blows me away. It's the closest thing to an old school amp I' ve heard in a decade or maybe longer. Old songs have a crystal clear timbre with a vacuum tube vibe that modern music has lost. It's wonderful to let my kids hear what great sound is, they had no idea. I'm using an 800W Rockville 10" sub under the bench seat with two 6" Polk two way speakers in the doors. Its the perfect amount of power to fill a cudesac like a live concert. I love this operation of head unit, too. The vast amount of settings still manage to be simple. It picks up right where you left off and the scrolling display gives the perfect amount of info and time stats while playing. An analog throwback powerful juke box on wheels, exactly what I wanted for a show quality restomod classic.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Is unit is what I needed to help my 75 year old client. It replaced a newer unit with only one knob that did everything. Got too confusing for him to use and this two knob unit was just perfect for him and it looks great in his 1966 Ford F100. Customer service was a great help for me too. Thank you
0 of 0 found this helpful
This an amazing addition to my classic Bronco. The install is easy (even easier if you have the dash out) and the functionality is exactly what I was looking for! I'm still working through all the menus/functions. But having Bluetooth with the classic look is perfect. I purchased with this: RetroSound Bronco dash speaker RetroSound USB/aux port Marine flexible antenna
Pros: Classic look Bluetooth very expandable!
Cons: I did have to trim one of the side brackets because it interfered with the ashtray
0 of 0 found this helpful
I am in the process of constructing a custom face plate because the one supplied with the unit is not at all appealing in appearance and construction. It is not hooked up yet so I can not comment on the sound or function
1 of 1 found this helpful
I love this, easy install, sounds great! Also bought the Retro Sound speaker that fits the Bronco dash and with the correct screws it looks and sounds great! I will add more speakers later but for my stock and fairly quiet Bronco you can hear the one speaker fine. This set is not an earth shaker but allows me to listen to music far superior to the stock AM radio. The USB set is hidden in my ashtray and allows a huge library of tunes.
0 of 0 found this helpful
I installed this unit in a 1953 GMC truck which had a 1 DIN cut out. It fit perfectly, the ease of installation was amazing, I love the RCA out puts hooked up to my two amp effortlessly. When my wife and I took it on its first run after installation my wife commented that she thought I had changed the speakers, LOL I told her NO it was the new head unit. Anyone who purchases this unit will be really satisfied. Love the hands free Bluetooth, synced to my android in no time.
Pros: ease of installation, hook up and programing easy Great Sound
Cons: None that I have found so far
0 of 0 found this helpful
I like this head unit, it took a little bit to figure out all of the menus/functions, but it sounds great and looks even better
Pros: Looks original
Cons: Non yet
0 of 0 found this helpful
More details on the RetroSound Huntington M4
Vehicle Compatibility: The RetroSound Huntington (M4) radio is a direct-fit solution for 1966-1977 Ford Broncos and 1961-1966 Ford trucks. It can also be used in custom installation for other classic cars and hot rods.
Floating Faceplate + Infinimount Shaft/Bracket System: In addition to 1966-1977 Ford Broncos and 1961-1966 Ford trucks, the Retrosound Huntington's floating faceplate and infinimount shaft/bracket system allows you to custom-mount the radio in a variety of other classic cars and hot rods too. This is because the faceplate and shaft-knobs are not mounted to the radio's chassis-body, but instead connect to the unit via harnesses so you only need to drill three small holes (one for the face-plate harness and two for the shaft knob harnesses).
- Faceplate: Unlike most shaft-style radios, the faceplate is separate from the chassis-body and only connects to the chassis-body via a proprietary 12-pin harness. The radio's chassis-body is mounted behind the dash with the supplied hardware, while the faceplate is mounted to the front of dash using the shaft-knob kit. An opening of 0.6875" is all you need to route the harness from the chassis-body to the faceplate. The faceplate measures 6.875" (w) x 1.815" (h) x 0.9375" (d).
- Adjustable Shaft Knobs: The shaft knobs are not affixed to the radio either, instead the connect to chassis via two harness. You can space the radio's shaft knobs at various distances (0.3125"-2.1875") from the chassis of the radio, using the supplied side-mount brackets. You can move these brackets forward or backward and move them in any direction. You can even cut, trim, or bend the brackets if needed.
Note: This shaft-style radio is a true problem solver for tough to fit applications due to its unique faceplate and bracket system combined with small mounting size. The chassis-body measures 4.125" (w) x 1.995" (h) x 4.695" (d).
Variable-Color LCD: The RetroSound Huntington (M4) features variable color illumination display with over 32,000 of color variations. Choose from a selection of preset colors, have the unit scan through all preset color continuously, or customize your own color to better match your vehicle's interior lights. You can also adjust the brightness of the display to High or Low.
Built-in Bluetooth: The RetroSound Huntington (M4) is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (HFP/A2DP/AVRCP) allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone to the head unit. Before using your Bluetooth enabled device, it must be paired to the Huntington (M4). You can only pair one device at a time with this unit. Once paired, when your Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the RetroSound receiver, the auto connection function automatically connects the two units. The Huntington (M4) is compatible with most Bluetooth enabled mobile phones, including the Apple iPhone, Blackberry, and Android smartphones.
- Hands-Free Communication: The Huntington (M4) allows for wireless communication between the head unit and your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone. You can answer an incoming call from the head unit's front-panel control knobs. Incoming phone call information will be displayed on the unit's front-panel LCD and your music will be pause or muted. You will still use your phone to dial a phone number and then the call will transfer to the RetroSound radio. Use the included external microphone to speak into during your phone conversation, while the other party will be heard through your vehicle's speakers.
- Wireless Audio Streaming: The Huntington (M4) also allows you to play back stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled phone or personal music player using a paired Bluetooth connection. Playback controls included Play/Pause, Stop, & Next/Previous Track. This unit does not display song/artist information from Bluetooth audio devices.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the RetroSound Huntington (M4).
Dual USB Ports: The RetroSound Huntington (M4) features two USB (type-A) ports connected to its rear chassis by a 40" pigtail. The USB ports enable connection of portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) devices; such as a portable digital audio player or USB thumbdrive. Once you've connected your compatible USB device, the Huntington (M4) will find your songs instantly and automatically start playing them. This unit supports MP3 (128 kbps +), WMA (64 kbps +), and FLAC music files in format FAT and FAT32. The unit can recognize a maximum of 999 songs/files (files will be read in order of creation and not alphabetically or numerically).
- Controls: You will be able to control basic playback functions of your music files such as Play, Pause, Skip Track, Intro Scan, Repeat Track, and Random.
- Display: The Huntington (M4) also supports ID3-tags/WMA-tags for song/artist information.
- Charging: USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (max. 0.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
- Not compatible with Android mobile devices.
- You cannot connect a USB device via a USB hub or Multi-Card Reader to this unit.
iPod Direct Connection: Either rear-panel USB port can act as an iPod/iPhone high-speed direct connection when used with the USB/iPod cable that came with your iPod/iPhone. The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music and music apps to be loaded instantly to the unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 1-bit D/A converter. The RetroSound Huntington (M4) supports audio playback of stored music or music apps, music navigation, information display, and charging of select iPod/iPhone models.
- iPod Control: You can control your connected iPod/iPhone from the head unit's front-panel control knobs. You can browse your iPod/iPhone's music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Composer, or Podcast. In addition, you can activate Repeat playback modes (all/track). Most iPod/iPhone device's clickwheel or touchscreen will be locked during connection (Apple devices w/ iOS 6.0+ will stay unlocked).
- iPod Display: The Huntington (M4) will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information from stored music. The head unit will display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name and Song/Album title.
- iPod Charging: The unit's USB connection provides 0.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The RetroSound Huntington (M4) is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features -
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Dual Auxiliary Inputs: The universal shaft-style receiver features two 3.5mm auxiliary inputs connected to the rear chassis by 7" pigtails. The Aux inputs provide a connection for portable external audio sources such as a MP3 player or CD player.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The Huntington (M4) features a built-in RDS AM/FM tuner. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations. The unit's tuner features 3 FM bands and 2 AM bands. A total of 30 AM/FM presets can be stored manually or automatically. Select between Local and Distant settings can aid in listening to weak FM radio stations or compensate for stations that have too strong of a signal. This unit's tuner can be set to USA or European tuning.
SiriusXM Ready: The Huntington (M4) is SiriusXM-Ready and connects to the SiriusXM SXV300 Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately). The SXV300 plugs directly into the Huntington (M4) without the need for special adapters or cables. A SiriusXM subscription is also required. The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription. Check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here.
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
- Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, and Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's display
- Up to 15 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
25W x 4Ch MOSFET Amplifier: The Huntington (M4) is equipped with a 25 watts x 4-channel RMS/45 watts x 4-channel Peak MOSFET amplifier.
6Ch/2.85V RCA Outputs: The shaft-style receiver features front, rear and subwoofer 2.85-volt RCA outputs. The front and rear speaker RCA outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer RCA output is non-fading.
Subwoofer Control: When the subwoofer RCA output is active, you can adjust the output level (0-12) of the sub output. You can also set the low-pass crossover to 80, 120, or 160Hz.
Equalizer: The Huntington (M4) features the following preset EQ curves (Classic, Pop, Rock, or Off) to customize your music listening. The Off mode activates a 3-Band EQ which lets you adjust Bass, Midrange, & Treble manually.
|Bass||60, 80, 100, 200 Hz||-7 to +7|
|Midrange||0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.5 kHz||-7 to +7|
|Treble||10.0, 12.5, 15.0, 17.5 kHz||-7 to +7|
XBAS: This function boosts bass & treble at low listening volumes, and should be turned off at higher listening levels.
Balance & Fader Control: The Balance adjustment function allows you to adjust or pan the stereo sound from the left or right; this is helpful to compensate for the position of the driver in relation to the speaker locations. Adjustment range is 0 to 12. The Fader Control allows you to fade the sound from the front pair of speaker to your rear pair of speakers. Adjustment range is 0 to 12.
Turn-On Volume: You can set the Huntington (M4) to power-on to the same volume level (0-46) every time, or let it default to the last volume when turned off.
Key Beep: When this function is enabled, every knob turn or button press will output a beep tone.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
6 questions already asked