About the RetroSound Newport
One and a half won't do?
One and a half won't do?
The Newport digital media receiver is a perfect fit for a wide variety of GM, Chrysler, Ford, and Jeep vehicles equipped with those factory 1.5-DIN radios. This RetroSound radio offers all the high-tech features you need to bring your car's audio system into the 21st century, including a dedicated iPod® interface, built-in Bluetooth® connectivity, dual USB ports, and two auxiliary inputs for your portable devices.
Finally, something that fits
In some vehicles, especially older ones, your aftermarket radio choices are limited to single-DIN (2" tall) models. And that's fine. In newer cars and trucks, you can choose between a single-DIN or a big, 4" tall double-DIN radio, depending on your needs. And that's fine, too.
Then there's the "1.5-DIN" radio size, which can be found in a remarkably long list of "vehicles of a certain age." A double-DIN won't fit, and a single-DIN, even with today's high-quality mounting kits, just doesn't look quite right to a lot of owners. It's frustrating, but unless you want to make major modifications to your car, your options are limited. As a result, many people just leave the factory gear, cassette deck and all, in place and plug a portable device into a 12-volt adapter. The sound is terrible, but it's better than nothing.
Leave it to RetroSound to come up with a solution. The Newport's subtle styling is remarkably era-appropriate, with a black plastic face and actual control knobs, so it blends right into any dash.The adjustable dual-color (amber or green) illumination and backlighting enhances the look, too. The Newport also includes a 25 watt x 4 channel (RMS) power amplifier, plus 6-channel preamp outputs with stereo sub outputs that will come in handy when you decide to expand your system.
Make it a complete RetroSound system
Wanna add some serious power to your ride? RetroSound offers strong amplifiers to get the most impact out of your speakers and subwoofer. They also make low-profile car speakers that fit into a wide range of older cars and trucks, so you can be sure that your sound system will do justice to your vintage vehicle.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
This digital media receiver will not play CDs.
- 1.5-DIN digital media receiver (does not play CDs)
- built-in amplifier (25 watts RMS/45 peak x 4 channels)
- fits a wide variety of older GM, Chrysler, Ford, and Jeep vehicles
- selectable green or amber illumination
- AM/FM tuner with 18 FM/12 AM presets
- plays MP3 and WMA music files from external sources
- dedicated iPod and iPhone interface
- built-in Bluetooth® connectivity (mic included)
- inputs: front and rear USB ports; front and rear aux inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs with stereo sub outputs
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # Newport
What's in the box:
- 1.5-DIN digital media receiver
- Main harness
- Power/ground harness
- Speaker harness
- Microphone w/ integrated bracket (attached 8'cable terminated by 3.5mm connector)
- 4 Pan-head bolts
- 4 Hex/Lock-nuts
- 2 Split-washers
- Self-tapping screw
- Self-drilling screw
- Rear-support screw
- Rubber boot
- Metal backstrap
- Installation/Owner's Manual
- "STOP!" note
More details on the RetroSound Newport
1.5-DIN Compatible: The RetroSound Newport is a direct-fit solution for GM, Chrysler, Ford and Jeep vehicles with 1.5 DIN dash openings. Until now, the only solution for these vehicles was to install a standard DIN-sized radio; an installation that looks out of place and awkward. The Newport closely mimics the original radio for an attractive factory-like look.
Green or Amber Illumination: Dual color (amber or green) button illumination and LCD backlighting enhances the Newport's look in your vehicle's dash. You can also select "High" or "Low" for the head unit's button and LCD illumination.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The Newport features a built-in RDS AM/FM tuner. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations. The unit's tuner features 3 FM bands and 2 AM bands. A total of 30 AM/FM presets can be stored manually or automatically. Select between Local and Distant settings can aid in listening to weak FM radio stations or compensate for stations that have too strong of a signal. This unit's tuner can be set to USA or European tuning.
Dual USB Ports: The RetroSound Newport features two USB (type-A) ports connected to its rear chassis by a 40" pigtail. The USB ports enable connection of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as a portable digital audio player or USB thumbdrive. This unit supports MP3 (128 kbps +) and WMA (64 kbps +) in format FAT and FAT32. The unit can recognize a maximum of 999 songs/files (files will be read in order of creation and not alphabetically or numerically).
- Music Control: Once you've connected your compatible USB device, the Hermosa will find your songs instantly and automatically start playing them. You will be able to control basic playback functions of your music files such as Play, Pause, Skip Track, Intro Scan, Repeat Track, and Random.
- Song/Artist Info: The Hermosa also supports ID3-tags/WMA-tags for song/artist information.
- Battery Charging: USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (max. 0.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
- Not compatible with Android mobile devices.
- You cannot connect a USB device via a USB hub or Multi-Card Reader to this unit.
iPod Direct: Either USB port can act as an iPod/iPhone high-speed direct connection when used with the USB/iPod cable that came with your iPod/iPhone. The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music and music apps to be loaded instantly to the unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 1-bit D/A converter. The RetroSound Newport supports audio playback of stored music or music apps, music navigation, information display, and charging of select iPod/iPhone models.
- iPod Control: You can control your connected iPod/iPhone from the head unit's front-panel control knobs. You can browse your iPod/iPhone's music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Composer, or Podcast. In addition, you can activate Repeat (all/track) and Shuffle (all/folder) playback modes. Many older iPod/iPhone device's clickwheel or touchscreen will be locked during connection. However, newer Apple devices w/ iOS 6.0+ installed will stay unlocked.
- iPod Display: The Newport will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information from stored music. The head unit will display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name and Song/Album title.
- iPod Charging: The unit's USB connection provides 0.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The RetroSound Newport is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 10/20/2016):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Built-in Bluetooth: The RetroSound Newport is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (HFP/A2DP/AVRCP) allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone to the head unit. Before using your Bluetooth enabled device, it must be paired to the Newport. You can only pair one device at a time with this unit. Once paired, when your Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the RetroSound receiver, the auto connection function automatically connects the two units. The Newport is compatible with most Bluetooth enabled mobile phones; including the Apple iPhone & Android smartphones.
- Hands-Free Communication: The Newport allows for wireless communication between the head unit and your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone (such as your iPhone or Android smartphone). You can answer an incoming call from the head unit's front-panel control knobs. Incoming phone call information will be displayed on the unit's front-panel LCD and your music will be paused or muted. You will still use your phone to dial a phone number and then the call will transfer to the RetroSound radio. Use the included external microphone to speak into during your phone conversation, while the other party will be heard through your vehicle's speakers.
- Wireless Audio Streaming: The Newport also allows you to play back stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or personal music player using a paired Bluetooth connection. Playback controls included Play/Pause & Next/Previous Track. This unit does not display song/artist information from Bluetooth audio devices.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the RetroSound Newport.
Dual Auxiliary Inputs: The universal shaft-style receiver features two 3.5mm auxiliary inputs; one Aux input is located on the front-panel and the other is attached to the rear chassis by a 7" pigtail. The Aux inputs provide a connection for portable external audio sources such as a MP3 player or CD player.
22W x 4Ch Amplifier: The Newport is equipped with a 22 watts x 4-channel RMS/45 watts x 4-channel Peak amplifier.
6Ch/2.85V RCA Outputs: The universal shaft-style receiver features front, rear and subwoofer 2.85-volt RCA outputs. The front and rear speaker RCA outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer RCA output is non-fading.
Subwoofer Control: When the subwoofer RCA output is active, you can adjust the output level (0-12) of the sub output. You can also set the low-pass crossover to 80, 120, or 160Hz.
Equalizer: The Newport features the following preset EQ curves (Classic, Pop, Rock, or Off) to customize your music listening. The Off mode activates a 3-Band EQ which lets you adjust Bass, Midrange, & Treble manually.
|Bass||60, 80, 100, 200 Hz||-7 to +7|
|Midrange||0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.5 kHz||-7 to +7|
|Treble||10.0, 12.5, 15.0, 17.5 kHz||-7 to +7|
XBAS: This function boosts bass & treble at low listening volumes, and should be turned off at higher listening levels.
Balance & Fader Control: The Balance adjustment function allows you to adjust or pan the stereo sound from the left or right; this is helpful to compensate for the position of the driver in relation to the speaker locations. Adjustment range is 0 to 12. The Fader Control allows you to fade the sound from the front pair of speaker to your rear pair of speakers. Adjustment range is 0 to 12.
Turn-On Volume: You can set the Newport to power-on to the same volume level (0-46) every time, or let it default to the last volume when turned off.
Key Beep: When this function is enabled, every knob turn or button press will output a beep tone.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
20 questions already asked