About the RetroSound Redondo RS M4
New tech for your vintage vehicle
New tech for your vintage vehicle
RetroSound's Redondo RS M4 digital media receiver merges modern car stereo technologies with a nostalgic factory radio layout. You can choose from optional push button kits that allow you to select your radio presets, while an umbilical cable attaches the kit to the radio chassis that mounts behind the dash. You can also choose from optional knob kits to customize this shaft-style radio for just the right look. (You'll choose buttons and knobs on the way to the Cart.) So, you get old-school looks with a bevy of new-school features, such as Bluetooth®, USB inputs, iPod® control, and a variable color display – all without cutting your dash.
Hands-free calling and digital sound
You can talk hands-free or stream audio programming to the receiver with your smartphone, and you can connect your iPod or USB thumb drive to the two rear USB ports. You'll find two auxiliary inputs on the rear of the receiver for other sources, like a portable audio player. The Redondo RS also offers excellent AM/FM reception, and the built-in Radio Data System (RDS) enables it to display song titles from any radio station that's broadcasting text information. If you're looking for radio stations that won't fade away as you leave the city limits, add a SiriusXM tuner (not included) to this stereo to enjoy satellite radio's deep programming from coast to coast.
Looks and connectivity
This RetroSound receiver features six preamp outputs that make it easier to add amps and subs to your vehicle. You can adjust your bass from the driver's seat using the subwoofer level controls and variable low-pass crossover. Here's another cool feature that enables you to customize your look — you can choose from 32,000 backlight colors so the LCD display will look just right in your dash.
Make it a complete RetroSound system
Wanna add some serious power to your ride? RetroSound offers strong amplifiers to get the most impact out of your speakers and subwoofer. They also make low-profile car speakers that fit into a wide range of older cars and trucks, so you can be sure that your sound system will do justice to your vintage vehicle.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
This digital media receiver will not play CDs.
- digital media receiver — chassis only, requires push button kit which you'll pick when you add to Cart
- no built-in CD player
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- plays MP3 and WMA music files from external sources (no internal CD player)
- adjustable-angle LCD display with 32,000 backlight color choices
- non-volatile memory to retain saved presets when radio is disconnected from power
- AM/FM tuner with 18 FM/12 AM presets and RDS
- 3 EQ presets plus user-controlled bass/treble adjustment
- subwoofer crossover and level controls
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- iPod/iPhone direct control and charging via USB input
- inputs: dual rear auxiliary and USB inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (2.85-volt front, rear, and subwoofer)
Other Features and Specs:
- built-in amplifier (25 watts RMS/45 peak x 4 channels)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # Redondo-RS
What's in the box:
- Radio body (M4)
- Display face
- 2 Infinimount shafts (with 11" harness attached to each one)
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 8'cable terminated by 3.5mm connector)
- Main harness
- Power harness
- Speaker harness
- 2 InfiniMount brackets
- 2 InfiniMount control face brackets
- 4 Bracket mounting screws
- 4 Face mounting screws
- 10 Large machines screws
- 4 Small machine screws
- 12 Large hex-nuts
- Medium hex-nut
- 4 Small hex-nuts
- 3 Lock-washers
- 8 Large flat-washers
- 8 Small flat-washers
- 2 Large spacers
- 2 Small spacers
- Large self-tapping screw
- Small self-tapping screws
- Rear-support stud
- Rubber boot
- User's Manual
- Quick Start Guide
- "STOP" note
More details on the RetroSound Redondo RS M4
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear) x 2|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||N/A|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||25 watts|
|Peak Output||45 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||Not givenHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||2.85 volts|
|Key Button Color||N/A|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||12.5 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
Vehicle Compatibility: RetroSound's Redondo (M4) radio is made for vehicles with dash fascia separating radio dial from push-buttons, such as mid-60's to mid-70's Mopar, and mid-60's Ford vehicles with deluxe dash.
Standard Knobs or Thumb-Roller Controls: The Redondo (M4) is the only radio to feature either period-correct shaft knobs or thumb-rollers and an independently adjustable push-button assembly specially designed for Mopar & Ford vehicles.
Infinimount System: The Redondo (M4) radio features RetroSound's Infinimount System. In this design the shaft knobs or thumb-rollers and the display face are not permanently mounted to the unit, but instead connect to the unit via a harness so you can space the radio's shaft knobs or thumb-rollers at various distances from the chassis of the radio, as well as mount the face independently from the chassis body using the supplied mounting brackets.
Variable-Color LCD: The RetroSound Redondo (M4) features variable color display illumination. You can choose from one of 32 preset colors, have the unit scan through all 32 preset colors continuously, or customize your own color (RGB; 0-9). The custom setting allows you to individually adjust the intensity of Red, Green, and Blue (from 0-9) to better match your vehicle's interior lights. You can also adjust the brightness of the display from High or Low. The unit's front-panel display offers an enhanced viewing angle and is daylight compatible. The LCD will display clock, audio settings, tuner stations, and song/artist information from USB and iPod/iPhone.
Built-in Bluetooth: The RetroSound Redondo (M4) is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (HFP/A2DP/AVRCP) allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone to the head unit. Before using your Bluetooth enabled device, it must be paired to the Redondo (M4). You can only pair one device at a time with this unit. Once paired, when your Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the RetroSound receiver, the auto connection function automatically connects the two units. The Redondo (M4) is compatible with most Bluetooth enabled mobile phones, including the Apple iPhone & Android smartphones.
- Hands-Free Communication: The Redondo (M4) allows for wireless communication between the head unit and your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone. You can answer an incoming call from the head unit's front-panel control knobs. Incoming phone call information will be displayed on the unit's front-panel LCD and your music will be pause or muted. You will still use your phone to dial a phone number and then the call will transfer to the RetroSound radio. Use the included external microphone to speak into during your phone conversation, while the other party will be heard through your vehicle's speakers.
- Wireless Audio Streaming: The Redondo (M4) also allows you to play back stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled phone or personal music player using a paired Bluetooth connection. Playback controls included Play/Pause, Stop, & Next/Previous Track. This unit does not display song/artist information from Bluetooth audio devices.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the RetroSound Redondo (M4).
Dual USB Ports: The RetroSound Redondo features two USB (type-A) ports connected to its rear chassis by a 40" pigtail. The USB ports enable connection of portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) devices; such as a portable digital audio player or USB thumbdrive. Once you've connected your compatible USB device, the receiver will find your songs instantly and automatically start playing them. This unit supports MP3 (128 kbps +), WMA (64 kbps +), and FLAC music files in format FAT and FAT32. The unit can recognize a maximum of 999 songs/files (files will be read in order of creation and not alphabetically or numerically).
- Controls: You will be able to control basic playback functions of your music files such as Play, Pause, Skip Track, Intro Scan, Repeat Track, and Random.
- Display: The receiver also supports ID3-tags/WMA-tags for song/artist information.
- Charging: USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (max. 0.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
- Not compatible with Android mobile devices.
- You cannot connect a USB device via a USB hub or Multi-Card Reader to this unit.
iPod Direct Connection: Either rear-panel USB port can act as an iPod/iPhone high-speed direct connection when used with the USB/iPod cable that came with your iPod/iPhone. The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music and music apps to be loaded instantly to the unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 1-bit D/A converter. The RetroSound Redondo (M4) supports audio playback of stored music or music apps, music navigation, information display, and charging of select iPod/iPhone models.
- iPod Control: You can control your connected iPod/iPhone from the head unit's front-panel control knobs. You can browse your iPod/iPhone's music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Composer, or Podcast. In addition, you can activate Repeat playback modes (all/track). Most iPod/iPhone device's clickwheel or touchscreen will be locked during connection (Apple devices w/ iOS 6.0+ will stay unlocked).
- iPod Display: The Redondo (M4) will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information from stored music. The head unit will display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name and Song/Album title.
- iPod Charging: The unit's USB connection provides 0.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The RetroSound Redondo (M4) is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features -
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Dual Auxiliary Inputs: The universal shaft-style receiver features two 3.5mm auxiliary inputs connected to the rear chassis by 7" pigtails. The Aux inputs provide a connection for portable external audio sources such as a MP3 player or CD player.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The Redondo (M4) features a built-in RDS AM/FM tuner. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations. The unit's tuner features 3 FM bands and 2 AM bands. A total of 30 AM/FM presets can be stored manually or automatically. Select between Local and Distant settings can aid in listening to weak FM radio stations or compensate for stations that have too strong of a signal. This unit's tuner can be set to USA or European tuning.
SiriusXM Ready: The Redondo (M4) is SiriusXM-Ready and connects to the SiriusXM SXV300 Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately). The SXV300 plugs directly into the Redondo without the need for special adapters or cables. A SiriusXM subscription is also required. The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription. Check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here.
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
- Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, and Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's display
- Up to 15 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
22W x 4Ch Amplifier: The Redondo (M4) is equipped with a 22 watts x 4-channel RMS/60 watts x 4-channel Peak amplifier.
6Ch/2.85V RCA Outputs: The shaft-style receiver features front, rear and subwoofer 2.85-volt RCA outputs. The front and rear speaker RCA outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer RCA output is non-fading.
Subwoofer Control: When the subwoofer RCA output is active, you can adjust the output level (0-12) of the sub output. You can also set the low-pass crossover to 80, 120, or 160Hz.
Equalizer: The Redondo (M4) features the following preset EQ curves (Classic, Pop, Rock, or Off) to customize your music listening. The Off mode activates a 3-Band EQ which lets you adjust Bass, Midrange, & Treble manually.
|Bass||60, 80, 100, 200 Hz||-7 to +7|
|Midrange||0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.5 kHz||-7 to +7|
|Treble||10.0, 12.5, 15.0, 17.5 kHz||-7 to +7|
XBAS: This function boosts bass & treble at low listening volumes, and should be turned off at higher listening levels.
Balance & Fader Control: The Balance adjustment function allows you to adjust or pan the stereo sound from the left or right; this is helpful to compensate for the position of the driver in relation to the speaker locations. Adjustment range is 0 to 12. The Fader Control allows you to fade the sound from the front pair of speaker to your rear pair of speakers. Adjustment range is 0 to 12.
Turn-On Volume: You can set the Redondo (M4) to power-on to the same volume level (0-46) every time, or let it default to the last volume when turned off.
Key Beep: When this function is enabled, every knob turn or button press will output a beep tone.