About the RetroSound Santa Cruz M4
Perk up your older GM truck or SUV
Perk up your older GM truck or SUV
If you own a workhorse GM or Chevy truck or SUV from the late 80's or early 90's, you're probably very familiar with its unique factory radio layout. Vintage radio manufacturer RetroSound had that layout in mind when they built their Santa Cruz M4 digital media receiver. Designed to fit in the AM/FM tuner location in the dash console and retain the factory look, the Santa Cruz ups the ante with modern technology like Bluetooth® for wireless phone convenience, USB ports for digital music, and an option to add satellite radio. And RetroSound backs up this radio with a 2-year warranty.
Wireless convenience with Bluetooth
You can answer a phone call with the push of a button and talk as if your caller is sitting next to you, freeing up your hands and letting you concentrate on the drive. And the Santa Cruz M4 receiver supports Bluetooth audio streaming, so you can stream music wirelessly from compatible devices to the receiver, with basic control over Internet radio stations, like Pandora® and Spotify®.
Lots of music at your fingertips
Speaking of radio, you can also connect a SiriusXM tuner for deep satellite radio programming that won't fade away when you head out of town. The two rear auxiliary inputs also provide a handy connection if you want to hook up a portable high-res audio player or another device. You can connect your iPhone®, iPod®, or USB thumb drive to the two rear USB ports. And, of course, you can also tune in your favorite local AM and FM stations.
Make it a complete RetroSound system
Wanna add some serious power to your ride? RetroSound offers strong amplifiers to get the most impact out of your speakers and subwoofer. They also make low-profile car speakers that fit into a wide range of older cars and trucks, so you can be sure that your sound system will do justice to your vintage vehicle.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
This digital media receiver will not play CDs.
- digital media receiver (does not play CDs)
- fits in factory tuner location in select 1988-1994 GMC and Chevrolet trucks and SUVs
- selectable display illumination with 32,000 colors
- non-volatile memory to retain saved presets when radio is disconnected from power
- AM/FM RDS tuner with 30 presets
- plays MP3, WMA, and FLAC music files from external sources
- MFi (Made for iPhone®/iPod®) certified
- built-in Bluetooth® connectivity (mic included)
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: two rear USB ports; two rear aux inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (2.85-volt front, rear, sub)
- built-in amplifier (25 watts RMS/45 peak x 4 channels)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SANTA CRUZ M4
What's in the box:
- Radio body (M4)
- Display face
- Face-to-Body cable
- Main harness
- Power/ground harness
- Speaker harness
- GM adapter harness
- GM antenna adapter
- Quick Start Guide
More details on the RetroSound Santa Cruz M4
Vehicle Compatibility: RetroSound's Santa Cruz is designed specifically for 1988-94 GM trucks and features an OE-style appearance for seamless integration.
Variable-Color LCD: variable color illumination display with over 32,000 of color variations. Choose from a selection of preset colors, have the unit scan through all preset color continuously, or customize your own color to better match your vehicle's interior lights. You can also adjust the brightness of the display to High or Low.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Santa Cruz (M4) is equipped with a 25 watts x 4-channel (RMS)/45 watts x 4-channel (Peak) MOSFET amplifier.
6Ch/2.85V RCA Outputs: The universal shaft-style receiver features front, rear and subwoofer 2.85-volt RCA outputs. The front and rear speaker RCA outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer RCA output is non-fading.
Subwoofer Control: When the subwoofer RCA output is active, you can adjust the output level (0-12) of the sub output. You can also set the low-pass crossover to 80, 120, or 160Hz.
Equalizer: The Santa Cruz (M4) features the following preset EQ curves (Classic, Pop, Rock, or Off) to customize your music listening. The Off mode activates a 3-Band EQ which lets you adjust Bass, Midrange, & Treble manually.
|Bass||60, 80, 100, 200 Hz||-7 to +7|
|Midrange||0.5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.5 kHz||-7 to +7|
|Treble||10.0, 12.5, 15.0, 17.5 kHz||-7 to +7|
XBAS: This function boosts bass & treble at low listening volumes, and should be turned off at higher listening levels.
Balance & Fader Control: The Balance adjustment function allows you to adjust or pan the stereo sound from the left or right; this is helpful to compensate for the position of the driver in relation to the speaker locations. Adjustment range is 0 to 12. The Fader Control allows you to fade the sound from the front pair of speaker to your rear pair of speakers. Adjustment range is 0 to 12.
Turn-On Volume: You can set the Santa Cruz (M4) to power-on to the same volume level (0-46) every time, or let it default to the last volume when turned off.
Key Beep: When this function is enabled, every knob turn or button press will output a beep tone.
Built-in Bluetooth: The RetroSound Santa Cruz (M4) is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (HFP/A2DP/AVRCP) allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone to the head unit. Before using your Bluetooth enabled device, it must be paired to the Santa Cruz (M4). You can only pair one device at a time with this unit. Once paired, when your Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the RetroSound receiver, the auto connection function automatically connects the two units. The Santa Cruz (M4) is compatible with most Bluetooth enabled mobile phones, including the Apple iPhone & Android smartphones.
- Hands-Free Communication: The Santa Cruz (M4) allows for wireless communication between the head unit and your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone. You can answer an incoming call from the head unit's front-panel control knobs. Incoming phone call information will be displayed on the unit's front-panel LCD and your music will be pause or muted. You will still use your phone to dial a phone number and then the call will transfer to the RetroSound radio. Use the included external microphone to speak into during your phone conversation, while the other party will be heard through your vehicle's speakers.
- Wireless Audio Streaming: The Santa Cruz (M4) also allows you to play back stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled phone or personal music player using a paired Bluetooth connection. Playback controls included Play/Pause, Stop, & Next/Previous Track. This unit does not display song/artist information from Bluetooth audio devices.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the RetroSound Santa Cruz (M4).
Dual USB Ports: The RetroSound Santa Cruz (M4) features two USB (type-A) ports connected to its rear chassis by a 40" pigtail. The USB ports enable connection of portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) devices; such as a portable digital audio player or USB thumbdrive. Once you've connected your compatible USB device, the Santa Cruz (M4) will find your songs instantly and automatically start playing them. This unit supports MP3 (128 kbps +), WMA (64 kbps +), and FLAC music files in format FAT and FAT32. The unit can recognize a maximum of 999 songs/files (files will be read in order of creation and not alphabetically or numerically).
- Controls: You will be able to control basic playback functions of your music files such as Play, Pause, Skip Track, Intro Scan, Repeat Track, and Random.
- Display: The Santa Cruz (M4) also supports ID3-tags/WMA-tags for song/artist information.
- Charging: USB portable audio players that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (max. 0.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
- Not compatible with Android mobile devices.
- You cannot connect a USB device via a USB hub or Multi-Card Reader to this unit.
iPod/iPhone Direct Connect: Either rear-panel USB port can act as an iPod/iPhone high-speed direct connection when used with the USB/iPod cable that came with your iPod/iPhone. The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music and music apps to be loaded instantly to the unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 1-bit D/A converter. The RetroSound Santa Cruz (M4) supports audio playback of stored music or music apps, music navigation, information display, and charging of select iPod/iPhone models.
- Control: You can control your connected iPod/iPhone from the head unit's front-panel control knobs. You can browse your iPod/iPhone's music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, Composer, or Podcast. In addition, you can activate Repeat playback modes (all/track). Most iPod/iPhone device's clickwheel or touchscreen will be locked during connection (Apple devices w/ iOS 6.0+ will stay unlocked).
- Display: The Santa Cruz (M4) will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information from stored music. The head unit will display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name and Song/Album title.
- Charging: The unit's USB connection provides 0.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The RetroSound Santa Cruz (M4) is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features -
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Dual Auxiliary Inputs: The universal receiver features two 3.5mm auxiliary inputs connected to the rear chassis by 7" pigtails. The Aux inputs provide a connection for portable external audio sources such as a MP3 player or CD player.
SiriusXM Ready: The Santa Cruz (M4) is SiriusXM-Ready and connects to the SiriusXM SXV300 Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately). The SXV300 plugs directly into the Santa Cruz (M4) without the need for special adapters or cables. A SiriusXM subscription is also required. The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription. Check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here.
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
- Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, and Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's display
- Up to 15 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
RDS AM/FM Tuner: The Santa Cruz (M4) features a built-in RDS AM/FM tuner. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations. The unit's tuner features 3 FM bands and 2 AM bands. A total of 30 AM/FM presets can be stored manually or automatically. Select between Local and Distant settings can aid in listening to weak FM radio stations or compensate for stations that have too strong of a signal. This unit's tuner can be set to USA or European tuning.
4 questions already asked