About the Axxera AM116Bi
Nice price, nifty performance
Nice price, nifty performance
Axxera packs a whole lot of entertainment features into their very reasonably priced AM116Bi digital media receiver. You can use the built-in Bluetooth® to stream music or talk hands-free, or plug in your iPod® or iPhone® to enjoy direct control over your digital music library.
The AM116Bi also offers Pandora Internet radio control with your iPhone. Once you're plugged into the receiver's front-panel USB input, you can take charge of your existing stations, create new stations, and rate songs with a "thumbs up" or "thumbs down," right from the face of the receiver. And you'll be charging your phone while it's connected, too.
Lots of playback options
Direct control of your iPod or iPhone through the front-panel USB port makes it easy to browse through your MP3 music. You can also plug in a thumb drive, or take advantage of the front AUX input for other devices you brought along. The 3.7" wide LCD display makes it easy to see what's playing.
Sweet sound and lots of adjustability
With its powerful MOSFET amplifier, the AM116Bi offers a lot of sound for the money. Seven presets let you find the right settings for your kind of music, and the 3-band EQ gives you quick easy control over the overall sound. When it's time to add amps to your system, you'll appreciate the three sets of 4-volt preamp outputs, not usually found in car stereos in this price range.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver.
This digital media receiver will not play CDs.
- digital media receiver with AM/FM tuner (does not play CDs)
- built-in MOSFET amplifier (18 watts RMS CEA-2006/60 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and music streaming
- USB with iPhone/iPod control and 1-amp charging
- detachable face with 3.7" LCD display
- wireless remote control
- 3-band EQ with 7 presets
- subwoofer level control
- built-in iPod controls
- inputs: front USB input, front auxiliary input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
What's in the box:
- Digital media receiver
- Face (attached)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim-ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (CR2025 battery installed)
- 8 ISO-mount screws
- Rear-support bolt
- 2 Removal tools
- Quick Start Guide
Axxera AM116Bi reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Axxera AM116Bi
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||18 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||60 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3|
Bluetooth Technology: The Axxera AM116Bi is equipped with built-in Bluetooth allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile)
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.3 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Axxera AM116Bi.
Pairing: Before using your Bluetooth enabled device, it must be paired to the AM116Bi. You can only pair one device at a time with this unit. The AM116Bi is compatible with most Bluetooth enabled mobile phones, including the Apple iPhone, Android smartphone, Blackberry, and Windows Phone.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ Integrated Mic): The Axxera AM116Bi supports Bluetooth hands-free communication from your Bluetooth-enabled mobile phone. An integrated front-panel microphone carries on your side of the conversation while your car's speakers are used to hear the other person.
- Answering A Call: During an incoming call, the caller's number will display on the front-panel LCD and a ring-tone will be heard through your car stereo speakers. You can then manually answer the incoming call from the head unit's front-panel controls.
- Making A Call: You will continue to use your mobile phone to make a call. Once you have made a call from your paired phone, the conversation will automatically transfer to the head unit. There is a Redial feature, which allows you to dial the last number you called by pressing a specific button on the unit's front-panel. You can also select from the 10 most recent phone calls you received using the head unit's front-panel controls.
Bluetooth Audio (A2DP/AVRCP): The Axxera AM116Bi also allows you to play back stored music and streamed music apps from your Bluetooth enabled phone, tablet, or player using a Bluetooth connection. Playback controls included Play/Pause & Next/Previous Track. This unit does not display song/artist information from Bluetooth audio devices. Advanced music navigation and song/artist information is still done from your Bluetooth device.
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Front-Panel USB Port: The Axxera AM116Bi is equipped with front-panel USB (type-A) which enables connection of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as your Android smartphone (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), portable digital audio player, or USB thumbdrive (up to 64GB). The head unit supports playback of MP3 music files stored on a compatible USB mass storage device. The unit's USB port will also charge (max. 1A) your USB devices during connection.
Compatible Compressed Music Files: The AM116Bi supports the following types of MP3 music files loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||USB Mass Storage Class Device|
|File System||FAT 32|
|Playable File Types||MP3: bit rate of 32-320 kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48 kHz|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||500 Folders/999 Files||500 Folders/5,000|
Playback & Search Functions: The AM116Bi offers several convenient playback & search functions for your music.
- File/Folder Search: This search function allows navigation through compressed music files' folders to find a specific file or for playback.
- Repeat: You can repeat a single track or specific folder.
- Random: You can shuffle the playback order of all your songs or only the songs in a specific folder.
- Intro Scan: You can scan the first 10 seconds of each track or the first 10 seconds of each track in a folder.
USB 1-Wire iPod/iPhone Connection: The Axxera AM116Bi's USB port allows you to connect your iPod/iPhone via the included Lightning or dock-connector cable that comes with your iPod/iPhone device (not included with the head unit). This USB 1-Wire for iPod/iPhone connection provides audio playback (for both stored music & music apps), song/artist display, control, and charging of select iPod/iPhones through the Axxera Digital media receiver.
- Bypass iPod DAC: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 1-bit D/A converter (bypassing iPod/iPhone DAC).
- Music Navigation: You can choose to control the iPod/iPhone from the head unit or from your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. The head unit allows you to browse your iPod/iPhone's stored music by Artist, Album, Song, Playlist, Podcast, or Audiobook (music content listed alphabetically). The unit also provides Fast Forward/Reverse, Previous/Next Track, Repeat/Random, and Intro Scan for your connected iPod/iPhone. In addition, music apps can be accessed directly from your iPhone's touchscreen.
- Information Display: The head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information; including Track #, Elapsed playing time, Song title, Artist name, and Album title.
- Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the head unit's USB connection will power and charge (1A max) your iPod/iPhone. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Axxera AM116Bi is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 1/28/2016):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Pandora||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
AUX Input: There is a front-panel 3.5mm auxiliary input for connecting a temporary external portable audio device, such as a portable MP3 player.
AM/FM Tuner: The Axxera AM116Bi features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. You can store up to 18 FM station presets and 12 AM station presets (manually or automatically).
Pandora App: The Pandora App (free) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Axxera AM116Bi using your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 7.0+). The AM116Bi provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G) or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- Shuffle: Select "Shuffle" to playback songs randomly from all your Pandora stations.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Axxera AM116Bi is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit. The power output specs for the AM116Bi are as follows:
- CEA2006 Specs: 18 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 60 watts x 4 channels (240 watts total)
Note: The power specifications for the AC32Bi are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
4V/6Ch RCA Outputs: The AM116Bi features front, rear and subwoofer 4-volt RCA outputs. The front and rear speaker RCA outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer RCA output is non-fading.
Subwoofer Control: The head unit's subwoofer output offers independent volume control and a low-pass crossover. You can adjust the output level (0-12) of the sub preamp output independent from the head unit's main volume. You can also set the sub output's low-pass crossover to 80, 120, 160Hz, or Through (full-range).
Equalizer: You can choose between 7 EQ presets - Flat, Pop, Jazz, Classic, Beat, Rock, or User. The User mode activates a 3-Band EQ which lets you manually adjust Bass, Midrange, & Treble. EQ settings are stored for each source.
Source Volume Level: The Source Volume Level control allows a gain adjustment for each audio source (Tuner, Aux, Bluetooth, USB, iPod). You can set the source volume level (+/-6dB) for each mode, depending on the relative volume of each audio source.
Detachable Face: The head unit's face-plate is detachable to deter theft. No face case is included with the unit. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit.
3.7" Extra-Wide LCD: The Axxera AM116Bi features an extra-wide 3.7" single-line LCD with white text and black background.
Wireless Remote: The AM116Bi comes supplied with a 17-button IR remote control which provides complete wireless operation of the Axxera digital media receiver.
SWC Input: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
The Axxera AM116Bi replaces these items
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked