About the Dual AM400W
A CD player with something extra
A CD player with something extra
Dual's AM400W marine CD receiver gives you a lot of great features in a classic single-DIN design that fits into a standard receiver opening. The charging USB port offers direct control for an iPod® or iPhone®, and you can play your favorite playlists from Pandora. You can also plug in a thumb drive and enjoy crystal-clear MP3 or WMA file playback. And you can use the AUX input for just about any other digital music player.
Made for your boat – and for boating
Whether you're listening to music files, playing a CD, enjoying AM/FM radio, or checking out weather on the NOAA band, the AM400W's LED display tells you what you're listening to with just a glance. The watertight, UV-stable face and controls will stand up to sun, salt and moisture when you're riding the waves, and the wireless remote gives you another way to control your tunes.
A receiver you can grow with
The AM400W includes a pair of rear-mounted preamp RCA outputs, so you can expand your system with a marine amp in the future.
- marine CD receiver with AM/FM/NOAA radio
- fits standard DIN receiver openings
- direct USB control for iPod and iPhone
- works with Pandora Internet Radio app
- wireless remote control
- marine-rated watertight face
- low battery indicator
- bass and treble controls with 7 EQ presets
- Source Volume Level features lets you match the level of different sources
- inputs: front USB input; front AUX input
- 2-channel preamp outputs (2-volt)
- built-in amplifier (18 watts RMS CTA-2006/60 peak x 4)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AM400W
What's in the box:
- Marine CD receiver
- Detachable face-plate (attached)
- Wiring harness
- Two 10A fuses (one installed in wiring harness)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring
- Remote control
- CR2025 3V battery
- 38" Stereo minijack cable
- 2 Removal tools
- 4 ISO-mount screws
- Rear-support bolt
- Lock washer
- Face-fixing screw
- Installation/Owner's Manual
Dual AM400W reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Dual AM400W
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||16 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||16 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA|
Marine Rated: The Dual AM400W CD receiver is specifically designed and built to last in harsh marine environments.
- UV Resistant Construction: The faceplate and other exposed elements of the receiver are carefully injection-molded using high-temperature ultraviolet resistant resins, preventing them from breaking down in the sun and giving you peace of mind to enjoy your music on the water even during the sunniest of days.
- PET Wrapped Chassis: This tough, direct, and moisture-resistant layer of PET (polyethylene) wraps the top and sides of the entire chassis - providing an additional measure of protection from the harsh marine elements.
- EDP Chassis: Applied using an electrical charge, EDP (Electrophoretically Deposited Paint) offers unparalleled protection against corrosion and rust resistance. All exterior metal surfaces including chassis, heatsink, and mounting sleeve undergo this process to ensure a long life in the marine environment.
- Conformal Coating: The conformal coated main circuit board has a transparent protective film applied to all surfaces. This additional layer of defense guards against dust, condensation, and corrosion - ensuring maximum longevity.
- Silicone Covers: Injected from high-grade silicone, these removable covers guard the receiver's front-panel inputs, protecting them from water splashes and debris. A convenient tether provides an attachment to the receiver, ensuring the covers are removable but won't get lost.
Detachable Face-Plate: The head unit's face-plate is detachable to deter theft (no face case is included). An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit. An included face-fixing screw prevents the unit's face-plate from detaching.
Vibrant LCD Screen: The vibrant positive-type LCD screen provides enhanced visibility under the toughest boating environments. High-contrast black characters on a white background ensure readability in any situation from total darkness to direct sunlight. The single-line LCD screen displays menus, audio, source, and song/artist/album information (no album art). You can manually adjust the LCD screen's dimmer level to High, Medium, or Low.
Wireless Remote Control: The AM400W comes supplied with an 9-button IR wireless remote control which provides complete control of the Dual CD Receiver.
USB 1-Wire iPod/iPhone Control: The Dual AM400W's front-panel USB port allows you to connect your iPod/iPhone via the included Dock- or Lightning-to-USB cable that comes with your iPod/iPhone (not included with the head unit). This USB 1-Wire for iPod/iPhone connection provides audio playback (for both stored music & music apps), metadata display, control, and charging of select iPod/iPhones through the Dual CD receiver.
- Control: You can choose to control the iPod/iPhone from the head unit or from your iPod/iPhone's clickwheel or touchscreen. The head unit allows you to browse your iPod/iPhone's stored music by Artist, Album, Song, Playlist, Podcast, or Audiobook (music content listed alphabetically). The unit also provides Fast Forward/Reverse, Previous/Next Track, Repeat/Random, and Intro Scan for your connected iPod/iPhone. In addition, music apps can be accessed directly from your iPhone's touchscreen.
- Display: The head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information; including Track #, Elapsed playing time, Song title, Artist name, and Album title (no album art).
- Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the head unit's USB connection will power and charge (0.5A max) your iPod/iPhone. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Dual AM400W is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 12/18/2018):
|iPod/iPhone||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Aux Input: There is a front-panel 3.5mm auxiliary input for connecting a temporary external portable audio device, such as a portable MP3 player.
Disc Compatibility: The Dual AM400W head unit supports CD-Audio, CD-Text, CD-R, and CD-RW disc playback. The head unit supports playback of MP3/WMA music files recorded onto CD-R and CD-RW discs.
- Off Insert/Eject: A CD disc can be inserted or ejected with the power off. When a disc is inserted with the power off, the unit will automatically power up and begin playback.
- Auto-Reload: If a disc is ejected and not removed within 10 seconds, the unit will reload the disc.
Front-Panel USB Port: The Dual AM400W is equipped with front-panel USB (type-A) which enables connection of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as a USB thumbdrive (up to 16GB). The head unit supports playback of MP3 music files stored on a compatible USB mass storage device. The unit's USB port will also charge (max. 0.5A) USB electronic devices during connection.
Note: The unit's USB port does not support connection of Android OS devices.
Music File Compatibility: The Dual AM400W supports the following types of music recorded onto a disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW)||USB (MSC)|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/2, Yellow Book Mode 1/Mode 2, Multi-Sessions||FAT/FAT32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3: sampling frequency of 8-48kHz with bit-rate
of 32-320kbps |
WMA: sampling frequency of 32-48kHz with bit-rate of 32-192kbps
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||255 folders/999 files||255 folders/50,000 files|
|Tags||MP3 ID3 Tags, WMA Tags (no album art)|
Playback & Search Functions: The Dual AM400W offers several convenient playback & search functions for your music.
- File/Folder Search: This search function allows navigation through compressed music files/folders to find a specific file or folder for playback.
- Repeat: You can repeat a single track, a specific folder, or an entire disc/USB device.
- Random: You can shuffle the playback order of all your songs or only the songs in a specific folder or disc/USB device.
- Intro Scan: You can scan the first 10 seconds of each track or the first 10 seconds of each track in a folder or disc/USB device.
MOSFET Amplifier: The Dual AM400W is equipped with a MOSFET amplifier. Compared to conventional power supplies, the MOSFET amplification circuit is smaller and more efficient, and it delivers increased power with less distortion and absolutely zero on/off switching noise. More power means louder and cleaner music at higher volumes because you're not pushing the limits of the amplification circuit.
- CTA2006 Specs: 18 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 60 watts x 4 channels (240 watts total)
Note: The power specifications for the AM400W are compliant with the CTA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the AM400W are as follows:
2V/2Ch Preamp Outputs: The head unit is equipped with a set of 2-channel, 2-volt preamp outputs for adding an external amplifier. The preamp outputs are full-range and fade with the front speakers.
Equalizer: The Dual CD Receiver features the following preset EQ curves (Flat, Pop, Jazz, Classic, Beat, Rock, or User) to customize your music listening. The User mode lets you manually adjust the receiver's Bass & Treble. EQ settings are stored for each source.
Source Volume Level: The Source Volume Level control allows a gain adjustment for each audio source (Tuner, CD, Aux, USB, iPod). You can set the source volume level (+/-6dB) for each mode, depending on the relative volume of each audio source.
Program Volume: You can set the Dual AM400W to power on to the same volume level (1-46) every time.
Key Beep: When this function is enabled, every button press will output a beep tone.
AM/FM Tuner: The Dual AM400W features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. You can store up to 18 FM station presets and 12 AM station presets (manually or automatically). The Local function allows only strong radio stations to be received, blocking stations with weaker signals. You can even switch the tuner between USA or European tuning.
NOAA Weather Band Tuner: The Dual AM400W is equipped with a 7-channel NOAA weather band tuner. This 7-channel weather band tuner lets you stay ahead of storms and adverse weather conditions while out on the water.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
5 questions already asked