About the Dual AM505BT
A boatload of value
A boatload of value
Dual's AM505BT marine digital media receiver gives you outstanding sound, an extremely powerful built-in amp, and Bluetooth connectivity, plus a NOAA weather band tuner, a 3" color LCD screen, and Pandora control. With tons of cool features and marine-rated reliability, it's an outstanding value.
The attractive front panel hides a beast of a built-in amp that delivers 55 watts per channel.
Serious power, serious control
You won't need an outboard amp to drive your marine speakers. The AM505BT features a built-in Class D amp that delivers a whopping 55 watts RMS per channel, plenty of power to overcome wind and waves. You'll also appreciate the sound-shaping tools, which include a 3-band parametric EQ and 7 preset EQ curves, plus 2-level loudness control with adjustable frequencies. If you want to add more oomph to your system, you'll appreciate the preamp outputs.
Designed for marine use
There's no CD player in the AM505BT, so you can leave your discs at home and enjoy your much larger (and lighter!) digital music collection on the water. With built-in Bluetooth and an integrated microphone, you get the safety and convenience of hands-free calling and audio streaming with compatible smartphones and music players.
You'll enjoy plenty of options for entertainment and information with this receiver, highlighted by direct USB control for iPod and iPhone devices (and some Android phones). You can also listen to your favorite AM/FM stations, play music stored on a USB drive, or plug a portable player into the AUX input. You can mount the included USB extension cable in a convenient spot, making it easy to connect your device and crank some tunes.
Durable and practical
Dual made the AM505BT to survive the extremes of life on the water, with a UV-resistant exterior that resists fading, a detachable faceplate, and a conformal-coated PC board that resists corrosion.
All the openings are protected from salt and spray when not in use, and you can control all functions (except for Bluetooth) with the included remote. The 3" LCD display is easy to read day or night, and you can detach the face when you leave your boat at the dock and store it until you're ready to head out again. The 7-band NOAA tuner tells you what the weather's doing wherever you are.
Installation notes: This marine radio is water-resistant, but we recommend mounting it in a water-resistant enclosure or using a cover for best performance.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
This marine digital media receiver will not play CDs.
- marine digital media receiver
- built-in Class D amplifier (55 watts RMS CEA-2006/150 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calls and music streaming
- Pandora control with iPhone
- 3" LCD display with blue button illumination
- conformal-coated PCB circuit board
- wireless remote included (marine remote ready)
- rear USB with adapter
- global AM/FM tuner
- 7-band NOAA weather band radio
- 3-band parametric equalizer with 7 presets
- sub level control
- iPod/iPhone direct control via USB input
- inputs: rear USB and auxiliary inputs, backup cam input
- outputs: 2-channel preamp outputs
Other Features and Specs:
What's in the box:
- Marine digital media receiver (30A fuse)
- Detachable faceplate (found in face-case)
- Trim-ring (installed)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (CR2025 3V battery installed)
- Hard plastic face-case
- 6.5' USB/Aux extension cable
- Rubber grommet
- Rubber collar
- Rubber cap
- 2 Rubber covers
- 2 Removal tools
- 8 ISO-screws
- Rear-support stud
- Installation/Owner's Manual
More details on the Dual AM505BT
Features & specs
|AUX Input||RCA (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||55 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||55 watts|
|Peak Output||150 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||2 Year|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||8.5 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
Marine Rated: The Dual AM505BT digital media receiver is specifically designed and built to last in harsh marine environments:
- UV Resistant Construction: The faceplate and other exposed elements of the receiver are carefully injection-molded using high-temperature ultraviolet resistant resins, preventing them from breaking down in the sun and giving you peace of mind to enjoy your music on the water even during the sunniest of days.
- PET Wrapped Chassis: This tough, direct, and moisture-resistant layer of PET (polyethylene) wraps the top and sides of the entire chassis - providing an additional measure of protection from the harsh marine elements.
- EDP Chassis: Applied using an electrical charge, EDP (Electrophoretically Deposited Paint) offers unparalleled protection against corrosion and rust resistance. All exterior metal surfaces including chassis, heatsink, and mounting sleeve undergo this process to ensure a long life in the marine environment.
- Conformal Coating: The conformal coated main circuit board has a transparent protective film applied to all surfaces. This additional layer of defense guards against dust, condensation, and corrosion - ensuring maximum longevity.
- Nanofics Coating: The front printed circuit board (PCB) includes an ultra-thin Nanofics coating to provide permanent high-level water and oil repellency. This protects against corrosion and short-circuiting cause by humidity and water splashes, without impacting device performance.
Detachable Face: The head unit's face-plate is detachable to deter theft.
3" Wide LCD: The head unit features 3" wide, single-line, 10-character LCD. This extra-wide, large, LCD allows you to easily view and navigate system menus, features, folders, and song information.
Text Scroll: You can change the scrolling style used for displayed information on the LCD screen. Choose from Off (no scrolling), Once (scrolls once), 15 Secs (scrolls once per 15 seconds), and On (constantly scrolls).
12/24 Hour Clock: The unit's built-in clock can be set to 12-hour or 24-hour mode.
Power-On Message + Demo: This feature allows a "Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening" text message to be shown on the unit's LCD screen when it is powered on. You can enable or disable the unit's demonstration mode.
Camera Input: The AM505BT features a composite video camera input and reverse wire for adding an optional backup camera (sold separately - see Accessories tab). The receiver's display will automatically switch over to the camera input when your vehicle is put into reverse gear (head units' reverse wire must be connected to vehicle's backup lamps).
Note: The camera input is meant as a visual aid only; never solely rely on a backup camera. In addition to using the camera, always physically look to make sure everything is clear around your vehicle.
IR Remote: The included 17-button IR remote control provides wireless operation of the digital media receiver. The remote is powered by a pre-installed CR2025 3V battery.
Remote Input: The AM505BT is outfitted with a 3.5mm remote input for connection of Dual's MRF40 RF remote control (sold separately), or a steering wheel control adapter (see Accessories tab) which allows you to keep your vehicle's factory steering wheel controls.
Bluetooth Technology: The Dual AM505BT is equipped with built-in Bluetooth allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.5 (Hands Free Profile)
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.3 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Pairing: Before using your Bluetooth enabled device, it must be paired to the AM505BT. You can pair up to eight devices, but only one device can connected and used at a time. Once paired, when your Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the Dual receiver, the auto connection function automatically connects the two units. The Dual AM505BT is compatible with most Bluetooth enabled mobile phones, including the Apple iPhone and Android smartphones.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Dual AM505BT.
Hands-Free Communication w/ Integrated Mic: The Dual AM505BT allows for wireless communication between the head unit and your Bluetooth enabled smartphone. Use the integrated front-panel microphone to speak into during your phone conversation, while the other party will be heard through your vehicle's speakers. Your car audio speakers will mute automatically during a call.
- Answering A Call: You can answer an incoming call from the head unit's front-panel control, or you can set the head unit to auto answer all incoming calls. Incoming phone call information will be displayed on the unit's front-panel LCD.
- Making A Call: You can choose a phone number from a list of recently dialed, received, or missed calls using the head unit's front-panel controls. You can also quickly redial the last number from the head unit's front-panel. This head unit does not offer direct entry of a phone number or phonebook transfer. You can also make a call from your phone and then transfer over to the head unit.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The Dual AM505BT also allows you to play back stored music and streamed music apps from your Bluetooth enabled smartphone, tablet, or portable music player using a Bluetooth connection. Playback controls included Play/Pause & Next/Previous Track. This unit does not display song/artist information from Bluetooth audio devices.
iPod/iPhone Connectivity: The Dual AM505BT's front-panel USB port allows you to connect select Lightning and 30-pin iPod/iPhones via the cable that comes with your Apple device. This USB 1-Wire for iPod/iPhone connection provides audio playback (for both stored music & music apps), metadata display (song/artist/album), control, and charging of select iPod/iPhones through the Dual receiver.
- Music Browsing: The AM505BT allows you to browse your iPod/iPhone's stored music by Artist, Album, Song, Playlist, Podcast from the head unit's front-panel controls. The unit also provides Fast Forward/Reverse, Previous/Next Track, Repeat/Random, and Intro Scan for your connected iPod/iPhone. Newer iPod/iPhones with iOS 6.0+ allow you to continue to access your Apple device's touchscreen in this mode in order to access other applications; older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection.
- Information Display: The head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information; including Track #, Elapsed playing time, Song title, Artist name, and Album title.
- Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the head unit's USB connection will power and charge (1A max) your iPod/iPhone. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Dual AM505BT is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 7/28/2017):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Pandora||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Rear-Panel USB Port: The Dual AM505BT is equipped with a rear-panel USB (type-A) which enables connection of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device; such as USB thumbdrive (up to 64GB) or portable digital music player. The head unit supports playback of MP3/WMA music files stored on a compatible USB mass storage device. The unit's USB port will also charge (max. 1A) your USB devices during connection.
Compatible Compressed Music Files: The AM505BT supports the following types of MP3/WMA music files loaded onto a USB mass storage class device.
|Media Type||USB Storage Device|
|File System||FAT 32|
|Playable File Types||MP3:
bit rate of 32-320 kbps w/ sampling rate of 8-48 kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 32-192 kbps w/ sampling rate of 32-48 kHz
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||255 Folders/999 Files|
|Tags||ID3 tags (ver. 1.0-2.4), WMA tags|
Playback & Search Functions: The AM505BT offers a variety of playback and search functions so you can find and enjoy your music easily.
- File/Folder Search: This search function allows navigation through compressed music files' folders to find a specific file or for playback.
- Repeat: You can repeat a single track, a specific folder, or an entire disc.
- Random: You can shuffle the playback order of all your songs or only the songs in a specific folder.
- Intro Scan: You can scan the first 10 seconds of each track or the first 10 seconds of each track in a folder.
Rear-Panel Aux Input: There is a rear-panel 3.5mm auxiliary input for connecting an external portable audio device.
AM/FM Tuner: The Dual AM505BT features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, and preset tuning. You can store up to 18 FM station presets and 12 AM station presets (manually or automatically). The Local function allows only strong radio stations to be received, blocking stations with weaker signals. You can even switch the tuner between USA or European tuning.
NOAA Weather Band Tuner: The Dual AM505BT is equipped with a 7-channel NOAA weather band tuner. This 7-channel weather band tuner lets you stay ahead of storms and adverse weather conditions while out on the water.
Pandora App: The Pandora App (free) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Dual AM505BT using your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 9.0+), via the cable that came with your iPhone device or an Apple certified cable that sold separately. Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, LTE (4G), EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account.
- Music Control: The receiver provides control over the Pandora music service. You can select Pandora stations from your station list and sort them by date or alphabetically (A-Z). New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing. You can also skip song tracks within a station. You can even give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down.
- Song/Artist Display: The Dual in-dash receiver will also display your Pandora station's song/artist information such as artist name, song title, and album title.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
High-Power Class D Amplifier: The Dual AM505BT is equipped with a high-power class D amplifier for powerful and rich audio reproduction.
- CTA2006 Specs: 55 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 150 watts x 4 channels (600 watts total)
Note: The power specifications for the AM505BT are compliant with the CTA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
4V/2Ch Pre-outs: The Dual AM505BT is outfitted with 4-volt, 2-channel pre-outs for connecting an external amplifier or powered subwoofer. These subwoofer pre-outs offer a crossover and level control.
EQ Presets: The Dual Receiver features the following preset EQ curves (Flat, Pop, Jazz, Classic, Beat, Rock, or User) to customize your music listening. The User mode allows you to independent adjust Bass & Treble.
Loudness: Activating the Loudness feature will enhance the bass and treble frequencies when listening to music at low volumes.
Source Volume Level: The Source Volume Level control allows a gain adjustment for each audio source (Tuner, Aux, Bluetooth, USB, iPod, Pandora). You can set the source volume level (+/-6dB) for each mode, depending on the relative volume of each audio source.
Program Volume: You can set the AM505BT to power-on to the same volume level (0-30) every time.
Key Beep: When this function is enabled, every button press will output a beep tone.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked