About the Axxera AV7118Bi
Light up your dash
Light up your dash
Want a touchscreen, but no dash space for a double-DIN multimedia receiver? I feel your pain. Axxera does too, so they've come out with a single-DIN (2" tall) touchscreen receiver that'll fit almost anybody's budget — the AV7118Bi DVD receiver not only upgrades your car's cosmetics with a big 7"
The retractable screen angles back, so check your dash to make sure it won't hit anything or block any important vents when it opens.
Bluetooth® steps up your game
I never realized what I was missing until I added a Bluetooth receiver to my car. Hands-free calling cuts down on distractions — a real win. But the clincher for me was audio streaming. This receiver allows you to listen to all the content that you enjoy on your smartphone without having to plug in. Stored music, streaming services, podcasts — with almost any phone, whatever you like is there to enjoy.
Get your ride rockin'
Like most of us, you probably listen to your music from a variety of sources, and the AV7118Bi has the bases covered. Plug your iPod® or iPhone® into the front-panel USB input and you'll browse playlists from the receiver's touchscreen. You can plug in thumb drives and microSD cards with your favorite collections, while front and rear aux inputs let you jack in a variety of other devices. And of course, there's an AM/FM tuner for when you need your radio fix.
You can use the 7-band graphic EQ to shape the sound. Ready to build a system? A full set of preamp outputs makes it a lot easier to add amps or a powered subwoofer.
Want to keep your steering wheel controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Smartphone note: If you're going to use your smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- DVD/CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- 7" motorized retractable touchscreen display
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- fits single-DIN dash openings
- wireless remote control
- plays CDs, DVDs, micro SD cards, and USB memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- 7-band graphic equalizer with 7 preset EQ curves
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control (see Details tab for info)
- inputs: front aux input, front microSD card slot and USB input, rear A/V input, rear-view camera input
- outputs: two video outputs, 6-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- built-in internal amp (14 watts RMS CTA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- CTA-2006 compliant
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AV7118BI
What's in the box:
- DVD receiver w/ motorized 7" touchscreen monitor (10A fuse)
- Detachable front-panel (inside face-case)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Wiring harness
- AV/Pre-out harness
- Remote control (CR2025 3V battery installed)
- 4 ISO-screws
- Rear-support stud
- Self-tapping screw
- Flat washer
- 2 Lock-washers
- 2 Removal tools
- Quick Start Guide
- "Warning" note "Congratulations" note
Axxera AV7118Bi reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Axxera AV7118Bi
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (front), RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||RCA (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB, microSD/SDHC|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||14 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||14 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)||N/A|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)||N/A|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3|
Bluetooth & iPhone Integration
Audio & Tuner Section
7" Motorized-Retractable Touchscreen: The Axxera AV7118Bi features a motorized-retractable 7" LCD touchscreen monitor (800x480) with LED backlighting. This unit's touchscreen controls with interactive video graphics make menu navigation simple and intuitive.
- Auto Open/Close: The 7" monitor automatically opens when the unit is turned On and automatically retracts when the unit is turned Off (this feature is non-defeatable). You can manually close the monitor, if you are not using the touchscreen while still listening to music. You can then manually re-open the monitor when it is needed.
- Screen Adjustments: You can adjust the angle of the screen in 5-steps for better visibility. You can also adjust the screen's brightness, contrast, hue, saturation, and sharpness level; as well as select from three different wallpapers/backgrounds.
Note: For safety reasons, you cannot view a video source on the built-in monitor as long as the vehicle is in motion. In order to display video, the pink wire of the included harness must be hardwired into the vehicle's parking brake light circuit, and the vehicle's parking brake must be engaged.
Detachable Front-Panel: The Axxera AV7118Bi features a detachable front-panel to deter theft. The front-panel consists of a secondary LCD and hard-key controls.
- Secondary LCD: In addition to the 7" motorized-retractable monitor the AV7118Bi features a secondary single-line LCD. This display can be used during music playback for track & song information. You will need to use the 7" LCD touchscreen for menu functions and to view video.
- Hard-Key Controls: In addition to the unit's LCD touchscreen controls, the Axxera receiver also features hard-key controls along the front-panel; including a 3-way rotary dial.
Remote Control: The Axxera AV7118Bi comes with an IR remote and supports many vehicle's steering wheel controls (adapter required).
- IR Remote Control: The AV7118Bi comes supplied with a 41-button IR remote control which provides wireless operation of the DVD receiver; including Bluetooth hands-free and audio streaming functions.
- Optional Steering Wheel Control Interface: The unit features a SWC (steering wheel control) input and is compatible with a PAC or Metra steering wheel control interface adapter (sold separately - see accessory tab), so you can keep your vehicle's factory steering wheel controls.
Axxera (Dual) iPlug App: The free Axxera (Dual) iPlug app (coming soon) turns your Bluetooth connected Apple iOS or Android OS device into a wireless remote control for the Axxera AV7118Bi receiver. This app controls most of the primary functions of your receiver, including -
- Power On/Off
- Source Selection
- AM/FM Band, Tuning & Presets
- Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track (for Bluetooth, iPod/iPhone, USB, & microSD)
- Volume, Mute, & Loudness
Bluetooth Technology: The Axxera AV7118Bi is equipped with built-in Bluetooth, allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles - HFP (Hands Free Profile), A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
- Hands-Free Communication (w/ Integrated Mic): The
AV7118Bi supports wireless hands-free communication for your
Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. The AV7118Bi allows you to carry on a
phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using
the integrated microphone and your car audio speakers. Your car audio speakers will mute
automatically during a call. During a conversation, you can switch
between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and
the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering A Call: The AV7118Bi allows you to answer a call from the head unit's touchscreen monitor or set the unit to automatically answer an incoming call. Incoming phone call information will be displayed on the unit's LCD monitor, while a ring-tone is heard through your front speakers.
- Making A Call: You can make a call from the AV7118Bi using the unit's on-screen keypad (0-9) or a call history data log of dialed, received, and missed calls.
- Wireless Audio Streaming: The Axxera AV7118Bi also allows you to play back stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth enabled smartphone, tablet, or personal music player using a Bluetooth connection. You can control basic music playback functions, such as Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track, from the AV7118Bi's touchscreen. This unit will also display song/artist information on its touchscreen monitor.
Notes: Before using the unit's Bluetooth functions, you must pair your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone or audio device to the AV7118Bi. You can only pair and connect one device at a time. The unit will auto reconnect with an already paired device. The Pairing code is "0000". Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some mobile devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the AV7118Bi.
iPod/iPhone USB Direct: The Axxera AV7118Bi supports direct connection of select Apple iPods and iPhones with a Lightning or 30-pin connector through its front-panel USB port. The unit offers audio playback, control, song/artist/album display, and charging of your Apple device through the USB port. The touchscreen of the Apple iPhone & iPod touch will remain unlocked during USB connection, so you can also access music apps form the mobile device; the click-wheel of the iPod nano and classic will lock during USB connection.
- Control: You can use the AV7118Bi's touchscreen to browse your music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, or Composer. You can also control playback functions such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, and Random/Repeat from the receiver's touchscreen.
- Display: The Axxera AV7118Bi will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information from stored music and select music apps. The head unit will display elapsed playing time, artist name, song/album title, as well as album art.
- Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Axxera AV7118Bi is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and support the following iPod/iPhone model features 1/25/2018):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Album Art||Phone||Audio|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Disc Compatibility: The Axxera AV7118Bi supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD +R/RW, CD-Audio and CD-R/RW discs. The unit can play back MP3 music files and JPEG still image files recorded onto a compatible DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, or CD-R/RW disc.
- Off Insert/Eject: You can insert or eject a disc with the unit powered off. If you insert a disc with the head unit powered off, the unit will automatically turn on, the monitor will open, and the disc will begin playback.
- Auto Reload: If the disc is not removed from the disc slot within 20 seconds of being ejected, it will be automatically reloaded to prevent it from being accidentally damaged.
microSD Card Slot: The AV7118Bi DVD receiver is fitted with a front-panel microSD card slot that is hidden behind the unit's detachable front-panel. The front-panel will need to be removed to access the microSD card slot. The receiver supports playback of MP3 music files and JPEG photo files stored on a microSD/SDHC memory card (up to 32GB).
USB Port: The Axxera AV7118Bi is fitted with a front-panel USB (type-A) 2.0 port for connection of a USB mass storage class device, such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. The unit supports playback of MP3 music files and JPEG photo files stored on a compatible USB MSC device (up to 64GB). USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (max. 1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: The unit's USB port is not compatible with Android smartphones or tablets.
Playback & Search Functions: The AV7118Bi offers a variety of playback & search functions, so you can find and enjoy your music in the car.
- File/Folder Search: The head unit provides a list of tracks and folders that you can search through to find the music you want.
- Fast Forward/Rewind: The unit allows you to fast forward or rewind through a track or file.
- Random/Repeat: The head unit offers Random (All/Folder) and Repeat (Track/Folder/All) playback functions.
Song/Artist Information: During playback, the unit's touchscreen monitor will display song, artist, and album information (including album art) - when available.
CTA-2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the AV7118Bi are compliant with the CTA-2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the AV7118Bi are as follows:
- CTA-2006 Specs: 14 watts x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
2V/6Ch RCA Outputs: The AV7118Bi features front, rear and subwoofer 2-volt RCA outputs. The front and rear speaker RCA outputs are balance and fade adjustable. The subwoofer RCA output is non-fading. You can also adjust the subwoofer output's low-pass crossover (80/120/160Hz) and volume level (0-15).
EQ & Surround Modes: The AV7118Bi is equipped with a built-in EQ. The integrated equalizer offers 7 preset sound modes (Pop, Rock, Jazz, Classic, Beat, Flat, or User) suitable for the music genre of your choice. The User mode allows you to manually adjust the head unit's 7-band graphic EQ (60, 150, 400, 1k, 3k, 7k, 15k Hz). The unit also features a variety of Surround modes (Concert, Wide, Church, Live, Passive, None) that create a unique soundstage inside your vehicle.
Loudness: The Loudness feature compensates for deficiencies in the low and high sound ranges at low volume. Loudness cutoff frequency can be set to 400, 800, or 2400Hz.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation (this can be turned On or Off).
AM/FM Tuner: The Axxera AV7118Bi features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, & preset tuning. The built-in AM/FM tuner allows you to store up to 18 FM station presets and 12 AM station presets (for a total of 30 presets). You can tune your presets manually or have the head unit do it automatically. The Local function allows only strong radio stations to be received, blocking stations with weaker signals. You can switch the tuner between USA or European tuning.
Dual Aux Inputs: The Axxera AV7118Bi DVD receiver is fitted with two Aux inputs. There is a front-panel 3.5mm audio only auxiliary input for connecting a temporary external portable audio player. There is also a rear-panel AV auxiliary input which consists of a composite video jack and stereo RCA jacks. The AV aux input can be used for connection of a permanent external audio/video source, such as a Blu-ray player or TV tuner.
Dual Video Output: Two composite video RCA output jacks allow you to an add external monitors, such as rear headrest monitors or an overhead monitor (sold separately). The video outputs will display whatever image is being displayed on the head unit's touchscreen monitor. The video outputs can display a DVD or AV input video signal when its selected as the receiver's source, regardless if the vehicle's parking brake is engaged or not.
Rear-View Camera Input: The Camera Input consists of a Composite video RCA jack for connecting an optional back-up camera (sold separately). This RCA input enables you to connect a rear-view camera to display the area behind your vehicle. This increased visibility encourages and facilitates safer driving. When an optional rearview camera is connected to this unit, the rear view image is displayed on the screen when your vehicle is placed in reverse gear (orange wire of the harness must be connected to reverse light wire of vehicle). Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.5 seconds.
The Axxera AV7118Bi replaces these items
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
6 questions already asked