About the Dual DM620N
Seeking a great navigation value? Look no further
Seeking a great navigation value? Look no further
Sometimes one forgets that having a computer in the form of a smartphone makes things a lot easier than they were even ten or fifteen years ago. GPS guidance is one of those areas where phones have been a real help, but one can't always rely on cell service to make sure the phone's delivering the right directions. For those wanting an inexpensive in-dash solution, the DM620N navigation receiver from Dual delivers reliable maps on a spacious 7" touchscreen display. It also boasts a dedicated smart assistant button and much more for entertainment on the go.
Get where you need to go
The Dual DM620N boasts maps of the entire U.S., Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, with an extensive database of 1.2 million points of interest. You'll see the maps laid out clearly on the receiver's easy-to-follow 7" touchscreen, while the intuitive user interface makes finding your way a piece of cake. iGO primo navigation software ensures you're getting the most reliable routes, while lane guidance keeps you on the right path for your next maneuver. In some instances, you'll see realistic depictions of complicated intersections or 3D representations of buildings and landmarks to help orient yourself. When you're ready for a map update, the front-panel SD map card slot makes it easy to get current.
Shallow chassis and a sweet 7" screen
Dual lets you put this multimedia marvel in more dashes with its shallow chassis, so it'll fit in a wide variety of double-DIN openings. The 7" display delivers a clear picture of maps and album artwork. And Dual still found a way to make room on the bezel for a USB input, aux input, and a smart assistant button!
Access your phone's smart assistant in a jiffy
Dual recognizes that our phones are not getting any less important to our day-to-day activities, so they designed the DM620N digital multimedia receiver with a dedicated push-to-talk button for your smart voice assistant. Whether you use Siri® from Apple or Google Assistant™, you'll be able to summon your assistant quickly by pushing the convenient button on the stereo's bezel.
Talk hands-free with built-in Bluetooth®
Built-in Bluetooth connectivity lets you make and take calls with your compatible phone through the DM620N. This Dual gives you full access to your phonebook, so you can keep your phone safely stowed away, and a built-in microphone means less time running wire during your installation.
Wireless music streaming
Built-in A2DP technology allows you to stream your tunes from your smartphone through this receiver, so you can access all the music on your Android phone or iPhone®, whether it's stored music files or streaming services. And the Dual iPlug Smart Remote smartphone app lets you turn your phone into a remote control so your passengers can command the action from anywhere in the vehicle.
Play your favorite tunes
This receiver offers a front aux input connection for more audio sources. Load up your thumb drive with tunes for your travels (including lossless FLAC files) — the receiver's front USB port provides convenient access, not to mention plenty of charging power for your devices. You can also connect a rear-view camera, so you can see more of what's behind your vehicle when getting in and out of tight spots.
This digital multimedia receiver will not play CDs or DVDs.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
- digital multimedia receiver with AM/FM tuner (does not play CDs)
- 7" TFT touchscreen (800 x 480 resolution)
- built-in GPS navigation (8GB microSD memory card with maps included — must remain installed in the stereo's card slot)
- plays media loaded with MP3 and FLAC music files
Smartphone Features: (see Details for info on compatibility)
- dedicated button for smart voice assistants (Siri, Google Assistant)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- compatible with Dual's iPlug Smart Remote app
- maps of the United States, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands, plus 1.2 million points of interest
- lane guidance and junction view
- 3D representations of buildings and landmarks
- plays content from USB memory devices (MP3, FLAC) (see Details for full capabilities)
- 7 preset EQ curves
- bass and treble controls
- inputs: front microSD card input (for mapping only); front USB input with rapid charging; front aux input (minijack); rear-view camera input
- outputs: 2-channel preamp outputs (front or rear)
- internal amp (16 watts RMS CTA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- CTA-2006 compliant
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DM620N
What's in the box:
- Navigation receiver w/ 7" touchscreen monitor
- 8GB Map SD-card (pre-installed)
- Trim-ring (attached)
- Wiring harness (10A fuse)
- GPS antenna (attached 10' cable terminated by SMB connector)
- 8 Pan-head screws
- 8 Count-sunk screws
- Quick Start Guide
Dual DM620N reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Dual DM620N
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (front)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||16 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||16 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)||N/A|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)||N/A|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||Blue|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||10 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
|Music File Playback||MP3, FLAC|
Audio & Tuner Section
7" LCD Touchscreen Monitor: The Dual DM620N features a 7" touchscreen LCD monitor with LED backlit. The screen has a resolution of 800 x 480 with 1,1520,000 total pixels. This unit has touchscreen controls with interactive icons and graphics, making menu navigation easy.
- Hard-Keys: There is also a 3-way rotary knob and three push-buttons along the left edge of the screen for the most frequently used functions; including Volume/Mute, Push-To-Talk, Navigation Map, and Previous/Next Track.
- Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation (this can be turned On or Off).
Push-To-Talk Voice Assistant: When connected via Bluetooth to an iPhone with Siri or Android smartphone with Google Assistant, you can access the mobile device's digital voice assistant through the Dual receiver by pressing the "Push-to-Talk" button on the front-panel. You'll speak your command into the head unit's front-panel microphone and the digital voice assistant will be heard through your vehicle's speakers (music playback will be attenuated). Compatible digital voice assistant functions include hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more. You'll be able to ask your digital voice assistant get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your compatible smartphone. The head unit's audio is attenuated while the digital voice assistant provides voice prompts.
Note: The head unit's LCD touchscreen will only display hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other digital voice assistant functions are only audible through the Dual head unit; visual data will still need to be viewed from your smartphone device).
Dual iPlug Smart Remote App: The free Dual iPlug app (for Apple iOS 9.1+ and Android OS 4.4+) turns your Bluetooth connected Apple iOS or Android OS device into a wireless remote control for the DM620N receiver.
- Head Unit Control: This app controls most of the primary functions of your receiver, including Power On/Off, Source Selection, AM/FM Tuning & Presets, Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track, as well as Volume, Mute, & EQ.
- NAV Button: Once the app is installed your smartphone and the DM620N is connected via Bluetooth, the "NAV" button on the receiver's touchscreen monitor allows you stream audio from your favorite navigation app on your connected phone through your car speaker system (visual navigation is still done from your smartphone and not the Dual receiver).
iGO Primo & TomTom Navigation: The Dual DM620N contains map coverage of the United States (all 50 states), Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands with over 1,200,000 points-of-interests from TomTom; all stored on the pre-installed 8GB microSD card (the microSD card must remain installed at all times). The map database was created using high-resolution aerial and land based data collection. The DM620N employs iGO Primo navigation software for turn-by-turn visual and voice assistance to your selected destination. The software quickly calculates step-by-step directions to any destination available on the included on-screen navigation map.
Note: While the receiver's map database was judged to be as accurate as possible at the time of its release (2019), a map database can never be 100% accurate. Road information that is maintained in the map databases, such as turn restrictions or road names may change over time.
Map Updates: iGO offers periodic updates (purchase fees will apply) for data such as roads, new addresses, and other navigational information that will keep the Dual navigation system up to date and provide the best possible experience. For updates and add-on options, please visit www.naviextras.com (requires Windows XP or newer; not compatible with Mac). A free program called "Toolbox" can be downloaded from this website so you can create a copy of your map as a backup, as well as assist in easily checking for updates and optional features that are available.
Note: You have 30 days from purchase to download the latest available map free of charge.
GPS Receiver & Antenna: The Dual DM620N features a built-in GPS receiver and includes an external GPS antenna which determines vehicle speed and heading changes, along with longitude and latitude information, to accurately determine vehicle heading and position on the system's digital map. The GPS antenna is designed to be mounted on top of your dash inside the vehicle or on the roof outside of the vehicle.
- Start-Up Time: The Dual DM620N takes approximately 10 seconds to go from "off" to the last source selected. The unit then takes approximately another 10 seconds to go from a source screen to the navigation map.
- Calculation Time: It took approximately 33 seconds to calculate directions from Charlottesville, Virginia to Los Angeles, California. It took approximately 17 seconds to calculate directions from Charlottesville, Virginia to Baltimore, Maryland. These tests were done inside the Crutchfield Lab of the Crutchfield Headquarters. Results will vary based your surrounding area and available GPS signal.
On-Screen Map: The unit's on-screen map shows your vehicle's current position (a blue arrow by default), the recommended route (an orange line), the surrounding map area, and your destination as a checkered flag. The on-screen map shows streets, roads, and highways in a way that is similar to how a paper road map show them. A road's width and colors corresponds to their importance, so you can easily tell a freeway from a small street. When navigating a route, the top section of the map screen shows information about your next route maneuver and the next street or the next city/town. When approaching a turn, the map screen will zoom in and raise the view angle to let you easily recognize your maneuver at the next junction. If the next turn is at a distance, it will zoom out and lower the view angle to be flat so you can see the road in front of you. The map also displays data; such as the posted speed limit, your current speed, current time, distance to your destination, time left before you reach your destination, and your arrival time.
- 3D/2D Map View: Switch between a 3D or 2D map view. The 3D map view provides three-dimensional terrain (including hills & mountains), elevated roads (like overpasses or bridges), plus three-dimensional landmarks and buildings. Similar to paper road maps, the 2D mode, shows you streets, roads, and elevation by color.
- Color Mode: The navigation map screen uses different color themes (Day/Night) during the day and during the night for both the map and the menu screen. Daytime colors are similar to paper road maps, and the menus are bright. The nigh color themes use dark colors for large objects to keep the average brightness of the screen low. You can also set the navigation unit to switch between daytime and night color modes automatically based on the current time and GPS position.
Note: You can continue to listen to a selected source while viewing the on-screen navigation map.
Lane Information & Signposts: The Dual DM620N's navigation map offers helpful lane information and signpost guidance, along with junction & tunnel view, as well as tunnel view and freeway services.
- Lane Information: When navigation on multilane roads, it is important to take the appropriate lane in order to follow the recommended route. If lane information is available in the map data, the map screen will display the lanes and their directions using small arrows at the bottom of the map. High lighted arrows represent the lanes you need to take.
- Signposts: Where additional information is available, signposts substitute arrows. Signposts are displayed at the top of the map. The color and style of the signposts are similar to the real ones you can see above the road or by the roadside, They show the available destinations and the number of the road the lane leads to.
- Junction View: If you are approaching a freeway exit or a complex intersection and the needed information exists, the map is replaced with a 3D view of the junction. The lanes you need to take are displayed with arrows. Signposts can also be present, if information is available.
- Tunnel View: When entering a tunnel, the map is replaced with a generic tunnel image so that surface roads and buildings will not distract you.
- Freeway Services: When driving on a freeway, you have the navigation system check for the next exit with service stations, restaurants, or lodging.
Audible Alerts: The Dual DM620N offers various audible alerts and functions to help you get to your destination safely. It does not offer Text-to-Speech (only turn-by-turn instructions).
- Voice Guidance: In addition to graphic directions, the DM620N provides voice guidance with turn-by-turn instructions. You can select from English, French, Spanish, Italian, Korean, Japanese, and Chinese audible languages. The volume of the voice prompts can be increased with increases in speed to overcome road noise. Voice guidance can be turned off if you prefer.
- Safety Alert: This function can warn you when you approach road safety cameras, school zones, or railroad crossings (if available). You can also add your own alert points. Beeps or the spoken type of alert will be heard when you are approaching of these points.
- Speed Limit Warning: Some maps may contain information about the speed limits of certain road segments. The DM620N provides an audible warning if you exceed the recommended speed limit.
Note: While navigating, other sources may be selected and listened to; such as AM/FM Tuner, USB, & Bluetooth. The unit will mute the audio of the other source during navigation voice-prompts.
Destinations & Location: The Dual DM620N provides you with your location status, as well as offers you a variety of ways to search for a destination.
- Find Destination: From the "Find" menu, you can select your destination by entering an address or selecting a place of interest (1,200,000 POIs), a location on the map or one of your Favorite destinations. You can also look up your recent destinations from Smart History, enter a coordinate, or use the location saved in a photo. iGO primo offers you several ways of choosing your destination:
- Browse Map: Select a point on the map for your destination by touching the screen.
- Address: Enter a full address or a part of an address; for example a street name without a house number or the names of two intersecting streets. Or enter ZIP code only; this way you do not need to select the name of the city and the search for street names might be faster as well.
- POIs: Search over 10 million POIs (points-of interest) by name, near you current location, along route, near your destination, or around a city. Quick Search POI categories make it easier to search for Gas Stations, Accommodations, Restaurants, and Parking.
- Favorites: You can save your favorite addresses (like home & work) and POIs for quicker access the next time you are traveling.
- History: The places that you have set as destinations in the past are automatically stored for easier access. Smart History suggests these previously used locations as destinations based on your navigation habits, using parameters like the current time of day, the day of week, and the current location.
- Search In All: You can enter a destination by simply typing in a "keyword" and the unit will search for Addresses, POIs, Favorites, and History.
- Coordinates: Allows you to search your destination by longitude and latitude values.
- Where Am I & Help Nearby: This screen contains information about the current position (or approximately the last known position if GPS reception is not available) and a button to search for Car Repair, Health Agencies, Police, and Gas Stations around your area.
Route Calculation: The Dual DM620N calculates your route based on your Vehicle Type, Route Method, and Avoidances.
- Vehicle Type: You select what type of vehicle you are driving, so the navigation unit can determine the best route based on your vehicle type (Car, Emergency, Bus, Truck, or Taxi).
- Route Method: You can choose which route method (Fast, Short, Green, or Easy) the navigation unit should use when calculating your route.
- Fast: gives a quick route, if you can travel at or near the speed limit on all roads. Usually the best section for fast and normal cars
- Short gives a route that has the smallest total distance of all possible routes. It can be practical for slow vehicles
- Green: gives a quick, but full efficient route based on the fuel consumption data you provide
- Easy: results in a route with fewer turns and no difficult maneuvers
- Avoidances: You can tell the navigation unit to avoid certain types of roads along your calculated route, such as - Highways, Tolls, Carpool/HOV, Unpaved Roads, and/or Ferries.
Plan A Trip: Plan a trip with the DM620N using Route Planner and preview your trip on the Itinerary page, plus get a simulated look at your pre-calculated route.
- Route Planner: The Route Planner feature lets you built your route using the list of destinations you have chosen. You can modify the list as you like (adding or removing a destination (waypoint), changing a final destination, or setting a new starting position.
- Itinerary Page: The Itinerary page displays turn-by-turn instructions for your entire route and the distance between turns.
- Route Simulation: You can preview all the route information and simulate travel along a projected route.
Modify Your Route: Modify your route before you get started or while in route to your destination.
- Route Alternatives: You can select "Route Alternative" to see the turn-list and map screen of four routes (Fastest/Shortest/Economical/Easy) with the selected route planning parameters, giving you the option to select which route to take.
- Detour: You can also choose to Detour around the road ahead, avoid a specific road, or around a section of the route.
- Automatic Route Recalculation: The unit will automatically recalculate your route if you stray from the navigation unit's previously calculated route.
Trip Monitor & Logs: The Trip Monitor contains useful information about your trip. Trip Logs can be saved manually when you reach your destination or automatically along your route. Trip log data includes; Start/End Time, Avg./Max. Speed, Total/Driving/Stopped Time, Total Distance, and Min./Max. Altitude.
Bluetooth Technology: The Dual DM620N is equipped with built-in Bluetooth, allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles -
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP (Hands Free Profile)
- Audio Streaming: A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile)
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some mobile devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the DM620N.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ integrated mic): The DM620N supports Bluetooth hands-free communication from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. You can answer an incoming call from the head unit's touchscreen and carry on a phone conversation hands-free. The unit's front-panel integrated microphone carries on your side of the conversation while your car's speakers are used to hear the other person. You can increase or decrease the volume level of a call, using the head unit's rotary knob on the front panel. You can also transfer calls between the receiver and your Bluetooth enabled phone.
- Answering A Call: During an incoming call, the caller's phone number or assigned contact name will be seen on the unit's LCD and a ring-tone will be heard through your car stereo speakers. You can then manually answer the incoming call from the head unit's touchscreen. You can also set the unit to automatically answer an incoming call within 5 seconds. Any audio playback will be muted during a call. You can even reject an incoming call using the DM620N, so the call will revert to your phone's voice mail.
- Making A Call: You can make a call using the Dual in-dash head unit's touchscreen controls. Outgoing calls can be made by entering telephone numbers directly via the head unit's touchscreen keypad. In addition, you can use the receiver's call log (which consists of dialed numbers, received call, and missed calls) to make a call from the DM620N's touchscreen. If your phone supports voice recognition, you can even use your voice to dial a number from your contacts.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Dual DM620N allows you to play back stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth enabled smartphone, tablet, or audio player. You can control basic music playback functions (Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) from the DM620N. Advanced music navigation will still need to be done through your Bluetooth mobile device. This unit will also display song/artist information (no album art) from a connected Bluetooth audio device. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
USB MSC Playback: The front-panel USB port can be used to connect a USB MSC (mass storage class device), such as a USB thumbdrive. The DM620N supports playback of MP3 (8-320kbps) and FLAC (16-bit/48kHz) music files loaded onto a USB MSC device that is formatted in FAT 16 or FAT 32. The unit will recognize up to 2000 files, 200 folders, and 2000 files per folder on a connected USB MSC device.
- Control: The DM620N provides various playback & search functions that include Folder/File List, Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, and Random/Repeat.
- Display: The DM620N will display artist name, song title and album title (no album art). It also displays the elapsed playing time of a song or track.
- Charging: The USB port (5V/21A) will also charge USB enabled devices, such as your smartphone.
- The USB port does not support video or photo playback from any device.
- The USB port does not support playback of Apple iOS and Android devices, USB hubs and card readers, and computers.
Aux Input: The Dual DM620 is outfitted with a front-panel Aux input that consists of a female 3.5mm jack. This front-panel 3.5mm Aux input lets you connect a portable audio player with a headphone or analog output for audio playback through your car audio system.
Note: The Aux input only support audio playback (not video). The DM620N does not offer a video input.
Rear-View Camera Input: The Camera Input consists of a Composite video RCA jack for connecting an optional back-up camera (sold separately). This RCA input enables you to connect a rear-view camera to display the area behind your vehicle. This increased visibility encourages and facilitates safer driving. When an optional rearview camera is connected to this unit, the rear view image is displayed on the screen when your vehicle is placed in reverse gear (orange wire of the harness must be connected to reverse light wire of vehicle). Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.5 seconds.
CTA-2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the DM620N are compliant with the CTA-2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the DM620N are as follows -
- CTA-2006 Specs: 16 watts x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (200 watts total)
2V/2CH RCA Outputs: The Dual DM620N is outfitted with 2V/2Ch RCA outputs for adding an external power amplifier. The 2V/2Ch RCA outputs will fade with the receiver's rear-channels.
Equalizer: You can select between 7 Preset EQ curves (Pop, Jazz, Rock, Flat, Classic, Beat, & User). The User preset allows you to manually make adjustments to the head unit's Bass & Treble.
Loudness: The Loudness feature compensates for deficiencies in the low and high sound ranges at lower volume.
AM/FM Tuner: The Dual DM620N features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, & preset tuning. The built-in AM/FM tuner allows you to store up to 18 FM station presets and 12 AM station presets (for a total of 30 presets). You can tune your presets manually or have the head unit do it automatically. The Local function allows only strong radio stations to be received, blocking stations with weaker signals. You can switch the tuner between USA or European tuning.
17 questions already asked