About the Fujifilm X-E3 (no lens included)
A pocketable rangefinder-style camera with all the latest features
A pocketable rangefinder-style camera with all the latest features
I'm a big fan of Fujifilm cameras for their minimalist design, excellent build quality, and undeniable retro appeal. The X-E3 blends the latest mirrorless technology with old-school looks and controls. It shares a lot of cutting-edge features with Fujifilm's flagship X-H1, and it's also the most compact and lightweight camera in the X Series lineup.
The X-E3 is an ideal companion for travel or everyday use. Whether you prefer manual shooting or letting the camera take over, using the viewfinder or tapping on the LCD screen to snap the shutter, shooting with X-E3 is intuitive and — most importantly — fun.
Outstanding performance for stills and video
The X-E3's 24.3-megapixel APS-C sized sensor and high-speed processing engine combine to give your photos and videos exceptional color reproduction with high ISO sensitivity and low noise.
Video can be output through HDMI while recording, so you can simultaneously check footage on the LCD or viewfinder and an external monitor. A 2.5mm microphone input lets you add an external mic so you can capture high-quality audio to match the 4K video resolution.
Experience the real joy in making photographs
The more in-tune you feel with your camera, the better your photos and videos will be. Personally, I want my camera to feel like an extension of my own eye. And I find Fujifilm cameras offer a seamless, intuitive experience in this regard — more so even than some of the higher-end DSLRs I've tried.
The X-E3's engraved metal dials make it easy to adjust settings without having to take your eye off the scene. Its bright OLED electronic viewfinder can display all your settings and show you what your final image will look like, so you can stay focused on your subject.
If you prefer framing your shots on the back of your camera — and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that approach — The X-E3's touchscreen offers and equally intuitive experience, with gesture controls like "flick" and "pinch zoom".
Awesome color reproduction
As a renowned manufacturer of color and black-and-white films for over 80 years, the folks at Fujifilm have a deep understanding of the role color plays in creating memorable photos. The X-E3's 15 different film simulation modes — including the popular Provia and Velvia film types — let you use different tones and gradations to add texture, depth, and atmosphere to your photos and videos.
An advanced autofocus system
The X-E3's high-speed processing power gives it improved autofocus performance over previous X Series models. For subjects on the move, AF-C Custom settings let you optimize autofocus according to the type of movement for extra-precise tracking.
- 24.3-megapixel APS-C sized X-Trans™ CMOS III sensor for highly detailed images
- built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for easy sharing and control from smart devices
- uses Fujifilm X-mount lenses
- speedy operation and autofocus with X-Processor Pro image processing engine
- 3" high-resolution (1040k-dot) LCD touchscreen
- 2,360K-dot Organic LED (OLED) super high-resolution electronic viewfinder with .62X magnification for easy eye-level composition
- 91-point Intelligent Hybrid autofocus system
- AF-C custom settings for easier tracking of moving subjects
- Face Detection and Eye Detection AF modes for sharp candids and portraits
- includes EF-X8 shoe-mount flash, rechargeable NP-W126S lithium-ion battery, and battery charger
Exposure Modes and Controls:
- continuous shooting mode: up to 8 frames per second (up to14 frames per second with electronic shutter)
- shutter speed range: 30-1/4,000 seconds, bulb (4-1/32000 seconds with electronic shutter)
- ISO sensitivity range from ISO 200-12800, expandable to ISO 51200, for superior low-light imaging
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, and manual exposure modes
- 15 film simulation modes for traditional and artistic touches
- 8 filter effects including Soft Focus, Toy Camera, and Pop Color for creating unique images
- 5 bracketing functions including AE, ISO, white balance, dynamic range, and film simulation let you choose the best shot from a series of images
- multiple exposure and panorama shooting modes
- interval timer shooting for time-lapse photos and videos
File Formats and Storage:
- still image storage modes: JPEG, RAW, and RAW+JPEG
- top JPEG resolution (pixels): 6,000 x 4,000
- AVC/H.264 HD movie files with stereo sound
- 4K Ultra HD video recording up to 30p
- shoots Full HD video at 1920 x 1080 resolution
- records photos and video onto optional SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed USB 2.0 interface (cable not included)
- micro HDMI (Type D) output (cable not included)
- 2.5mm microphone input
- 5-1/4"W x 2-15/16"H x 1-11/16"D
- weight (including battery and memory card): 11.9 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 16558401
What's in the box:
- Silver/black X-E3 camera body (with body cap installed)
- EF-X8 Flash unit
- NP-W126S Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery (8.4V 1260mAh 8.7Wh)
- BC-W126 Battery charger (8.4V/0.6A)
- 81" AC cord
- Adjustable neck strap
- 2 Metal strap clips
- Clip attaching tool
- 2 Protective covers
- Owner's Manual (English)
- Owner's Manual (Spanish)
- Product Registration
- Company contact sheet (Stop--Need Help or Have Questions?)
- Fujifilm Worldwide Network
- "Caution" sheet
- "When Using Image Transfer Order" sheet
Fujifilm X-E3 (no lens included) reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Fujifilm X-E3 (no lens included)
Features & specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||None included|
|Built-in Flash||External Flash|
|Image Stabilization||With optional lens|
|Highest Resolution||6000 x 4000|
|Video Resolution||3840 x 2160|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||11.9|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Fujifilm X-E3 is a mirrorless interchangeable lens digital camera with the Fujifilm X lens mount. It is compatible with the XF Fujinon prime and zoom lenses. There are no lenses included in this "body only" package.
3.0" LCD Touchscreen Monitor: The X-E3 has a 3.0" color LCD touchscreen monitor featuring approximately 1,040,000 dots and approximately 100% coverage in the shooting mode. The monitor's brightness and color hue can be adjusted between +5 and -5. If desired, you can disable the LCD's touch controls, and select an area of the LCD to use for touch controls while the viewfinder is active (all, left, or right).
0.39" OLED Viewfinder: The camera is equipped with a 0.39" OLED viewfinder with 2,360,000 dots. The viewfinder has a diopter correction dial that allows you to adjust the strength of the viewfinder in accordance with your eyesight. The eye sensor next to the viewfinder detects when you raise the camera to your eye and turns on the viewfinder. It also turns off the viewfinder when you lower the camera.
View Mode: The View Mode button beside the viewfinder lets you choose from the following display modes:
- Eye Sensor: The Eye Sensor determines when the viewfinder and LCD monitor are on and off. Raising the camera to your eye: EVF on, LCD off; Lowering the camera from your eye: EVF off, LCD on.
- EVF Only: Viewfinder on, LCD monitor off
- LCD Only: Viewfinder off, LCD monitor on
- EVF Only + Eye Sensor: The Viewfinder turns on when you raise the camera to your eye and turns off when you lower it. LCD monitor stays off.
- Eye Sensor + LCD Image Display: Raising the camera to your eye turns on the viewfinder, but the LCD monitor comes on to display images immediately after shooting.
Image Sensor/Processor: The X-E3 features a 23.5mm x 15.6mm APS-C format, X-Trans CMOS III image sensor with approximately 24.3-million effective pixels. The camera uses ultrasonic vibration to clean the image sensor. In the menu, you can select sensor cleaning when the camera is switched on, switched off, or on command.
Recording Media: Still images and movies are recorded onto SD, SDHC, or SDXC memory cards. UHS-I cards are supported, and cards with a UHS speed class of 3 or better are recommended for movies. No memory cards are included with the camera.
Bluetooth: The Fujifilm X-E3 is the first X-Series camera to be equipped with Bluetooth. The camera can pair with your smartphone or tablet through the Fujifilm Camera Remote app (iOS and Android compatible). You can browse images on the camera, download selected images from the camera to your smartphone or tablet, control the camera remotely, and upload GPS location data to the camera.
Wi-Fi: You can connect the camera to smartphones, tablets, and your computer via Wi-Fi. As with Bluetooth, you can view and transfer images, remotely control the camera, and copy location information to the camera. Using the Fujifilm PC Autosave, you can connect to your PC or Mac over wireless networks to upload images from the camera.
Still Image Quality: The X-E3 records still images in JPEG format in 3:2, 16:9, and 1:1 aspect ratios in three sizes and two compression ratios (Fine or Normal). In addition, 24MP (6000 x 4000) RAW images can be recorded from the raw, uncompressed image data from the camera's image sensor. You can also shoot a RAW + JPEG image at the same time, with separate RAW and JPEG files recorded and stored. Available image sizes and aspect ratios include:
|Large||6000 x 4000||6000 x 3376||4000 x 4000|
|Medium||4240 x 2832||4240 x 2384||2832 x 2832|
|Small||3008 x 2000||3008 x 1688||2000 x 2000|
Panorama: The camera is capable of taking panoramic images by panning the camera through one of two angle settings. As you pan the camera, multiple frames are recorded and automatically stitched together in the camera to create the panoramic image. The Panorama options are:
- Panorama L:
- Horizontal: 9600 x 1440
- Vertical: 2160 x 9600
- Panorama M:
- Horizontal: 6400 x 1440
- Vertical: 2160 x 6400
4K and HD Movies: The X-E3 can record 4K UHD, Full HD, and HD movies in MOV format (H.264 standard) with Linear PCM audio (stereo, 48kHz sampling). You can choose from the following frame sizes and rates:
|Option||Frame Size||Frame Rates|
|4K||3840 x 2160||29.97 fps, 25 fps, 24 fps, 23.98 fps|
|Full HD||1920 x 1080||59.94 fps, 50 fps, 29.97 fps, 25 fps, 24 fps, 23.98 fps|
|HD||1280 x 720||59.94 fps, 50 fps, 29.97 fps, 25 fps, 24 fps, 23.98 fps|
Shooting Modes: The Fujifilm X-E3 lets you set the shutter speed and aperture automatically or manually. The shutter speed and aperture settings combine for four shooting modes:
|Shooting Mode||Shutter Speed¹||Aperture²|
¹ Shutter Speed Options: Varies with Shooting Mode and choice of Mechanical or Electronic Shutter.
² Aperture Options: Depends upon the attached XF lens.
Scene Position: In Auto Mode, you can let the camera automatically adjust the settings. You can select Advanced SR Auto to let the camera automatically match the mode to the subject, or you can choose one of the following modes that are specific to the subject type: Portrait, Portrait Enhancer, Landscape, Sport, Night, Night (Tripod), Fireworks, Sunset, Snow, Beach, Underwater, Party, Flower, and Text.
ISO Sensitivity: The camera's sensitivity for still pictures and movies can be set automatically, or manually between ISO 200 to 12800 in 1/3EV increments. Extended settings (for still images only) are equivalent to ISO 100, 125, 160, 25600, and 51200. You can also choose an Auto ISO setting with maximum settings of 400, 800, 1600, 3200, or 6400. The Auto settings will adjust the sensitivity settings according to the shooting conditions. The higher the sensitivity setting, the better the camera is at reducing blur in poor lighting conditions, however, high settings can result in more noise in the recorded images.
White Balance: White balance is used to preserve natural colors under different types of lighting. You can select Auto, Direct Sunlight, Shade, "Daylight" fluorescent lamps, "Warm White" fluorescent lamps, "Cool White" fluorescent lamps, Incandescent light and Underwater (requires waterproof case). In addition, you can measure for a white balance value, and save them in one of three presets, or select from a list of color temperatures.
Film Simulation: The X-E3 can simulate the effects of different kinds of film, including black-and-white. You can select one of the following options:
- Provia/Standard: standard color reproduction
- Velvia/Vivid: a high-contrast palette of saturated colors, suited for nature photos
- Astia/Soft: a soft-toned palette of less-saturated colors
- Classic Chrome: provides a calm look with soft colors and enhanced shadow contrast
- Pro Negative Std: a soft-toned palette. The range of hues available for skin tones is enhanced; a good choice for studio portraits.
- Pro Negative Hi: offers slightly more contrast than Pro Negative Std, making it ideal for outdoor portraits.
- Acros: for black-and-white photos with rich gradation and outstanding sharpness
- Monochrome: standard black-and-white
- Sepia: takes pictures in sepia tone
Color Space: Depending upon how you intend to use the image, you can choose the output color space at the general sRGB setting or the broader color rendition of Adobe RGB (for commercial printing).
Exposure Compensation: Using the dedicated Exposure Compensation dial on the top of the camera, you can alter the exposure from the value suggested by the camera, making pictures brighter or darker. You can adjust the exposure a total of 19 steps from -3.0 to +3.0 EV in 1/3 EV steps. There is a "C" position on the dial that switches compensation control to the front command dial, allowing you to change the exposure compensation from -5.0 to +5.0 EV in 1/3 EV steps. Exposure compensation is available in all shooting modes except Manual. The compensation range for movies is limited to -2.0 to +2.0 EV in 1/3EV increments.
Bracketing: You can take a series of photos with varying settings for each picture. Bracketing options include: AE BKT, ISO BKT, Film Simulation BKT, White Balance BKT, and Dynamic Range BKT.
Continuous Shooting: You can capture motion in a series of pictures using the Continuous Shooting mode. Shooting takes place while the shutter button is pressed, and end when the button is released or the memory card becomes full. Continuous shooting rates are as follows:
|Frame Rate||Total number of frames|
|JPEG||Lossless RAW||Uncompressed RAW|
|14 fps*||35 frames||22 frames||21 frames|
|11 fps*||53 frames||23 frames||21 frames|
|8.0 fps||62 frames||25 frames||23 frames|
|5.0 fps||68 frames||28 frames||25 frames|
|4.0 fps||73 frames||29 frames||25 frames|
|3.0 fps||81 frames||32 frames||27 frames|
* Electronic Shutter only
Multiple Exposures: You can create a photograph that combines two exposures. After taking the first shot, the image is superimposed on the view through the lens while framing the second shot. If the results aren't satisfactory, you can retake the second shot.
Self-timer: The camera gives you the choice of a 10-second or 2-second self timer. The 10 second self timer is recommended for self portraits, while the 2-second self timer is used to reduce blur caused by the camera moving when the shutter button is pressed.
Remote Release: The X-E3 is compatible with optional remote release units. The optional Fujifilm RR-90 can plug into the camera's USB port. Other Fuji remote releases can use the camera's 2.5mm sub-minijack connection. A Remote Release can be used to take photos when the camera is on a tripod or for long time-exposures. In addition, a standard cable release can be used when attached into the threaded receptacle on the shutter release button.
Focus Modes: The camera lets you choose how the camera focuses. You can select Single AF, Continuous AF, or Manual Focus using the focus ring on the attached lens.
Flash Modes: The X-E3 comes with the EF-X8 external flash, which mounts to the camera's hot shoe. Other shoe-mounted flash units can also be used, if desired, including those connected via the Sync Terminal. You can choose from the following flash modes:
- Flash Auto: flash fires automatically as required by the shooting conditions, with the flash level adjusted according to the subject brightness.
- Standard Flash: flash will fire whenever a picture is taken with the flash level adjusted according to the subject brightness.
- Slow Synchro: auto flash combined with slow shutter speeds (tripod recommended), for photographing portrait subjects against a backdrop of night scenery.
- 1st Curtain Sync: the flash fires immediately after the shutter opens
- 2nd Curtain Sync: the flash fires immediately before the shutter closes
- Auto FP (High-speed Sync): The camera automatically engages front-curtain high-speed sync at shutter speeds faster than the flash sync speed.
Light Metering: The X-E3 uses 256-segment, TTL (through-the-lens) metering, where the camera automatically assesses the scene and selects the optimum exposure. You can select from four metering options: Multi, Spot, Average, or Center Weighted.
Viewing Images: Images can be played back one-at-a-time or in a variety of multi-frame views. You can choose from a 9-frame view (3 x 3 grid) or a 100-frame view (10 x 10 grid). Playback zoom lets you zoom in to see a close-up view of the subject.
Cropping: You can enlarge a still image in the monitor according to the image quality (size). After you have zoomed in and scrolled the picture to the desired composition, you can create a cropped image of a picture. Copies will have an aspect ratio of 3:2, and will be saved as a separate file.
Resize: To create a small copy of a picture, you can select "Resize" from the menu. The new images vary in size with the original image.
Printing Pictures: Using DPOF (Digital Print Order Form), you can designate which images to print, and whether to print them with or without date. Pictures can be printed as followed:
- Printer or Photo Lab: plug the camera into a Pictbridge-compatible printer, insert the memory card into a compatible printer, or take the memory card to a digital photo lab
- Transferring to Computer: transfer the images to a computer before printing them
Performance Options: The camera gives you two options for adjusting power management settings: High Performance and Standard Performance. When set to High Performance, the camera provides the fastest Auto Focus speed, and very high quality images in the Viewfinder and LCD monitor, but causes the battery to drain much faster. At the Standard Performance setting, the AF speed and battery endurance are normal, and the image quality in the EVF and LCD are high.
Power Requirements: The X-E3 is powered by the supplied NP-W126S Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery. The NP-W126 is also compatible. The NP-W126S charges in the supplied charger (BC-W126) in approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes. The expected battery life of a fully-charged NP-W126S is dependent upon the Performance option selected, and the use of the LCD and EVF while shooting:
- Still Images:
|Performance Option||LCD Monitor||Viewfinder|
|High Performance||Approx. 260 shots||Approx. 260 shots|
|Standard||Approx. 350 shots||Approx. 350 shots|
|Movie Mode||Battery Life|
|Typical Movie Capture||Continuous Movie Capture|
|4K||Approx. 50 mins||Approx. 70 mins|
|Full HD||Approx. 60 mins||Approx. 95 mins|
Auto Power Off Function: When the camera is operated on battery power, the Auto Power Off function will automatically turn off the camera to reduce the drain on the batteries if no operations are performed for 2 minutes or 5 minutes, as set in the menu. Regardless of the option selected, the camera will not automatically turn off when connected to a printer or computer, or when a slide show is in progress.
USB: The X-E3 features a Mini-B 2.0 USB port for connecting the supplied USB cable. This output allows you to download your photos to your computer via USB, or connect the optional RR-90 Remote Release.
HDMI: The camera has a mini-HDMI (Type C) output for connecting the camera to your HDTV.
Microphone In/Remote Release: A 2.5mm sub-minijack is provided for connecting an external microphone with a 2.5mm plug. You can also use the jack for connecting the optional RR-80 Remote Release.
System Requirements: The Fujifilm X-E3 comes with no camera software in the box. The following software is compatible with the X-E3:
- Fujifilm Camera Remote: Fujifilm Camera Remote helps you establish a wireless
connection between your camera and a smartphone or tablet. It is compatible with
the following devices:
- Apple: iPhones and iPads running iOS 8.0 and later
- Android: Android smartphones and tablets with version 4.0 and up.
- Fujifilm PC Autosave: Fujifilm PC Autosave allows you
to download pictures from your camera to your PC or Mac over wireless
requires the following Operating Systems:
- Windows: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 (SP1)
- Macintosh: Mac OS X version 10.7-10.11, and macOS Sierra.
- MyFinePix Studio: Using MyFinePix Studio and a USB connection, you can copy pictures to your computer, where they can be stored, viewed, organized, and printed. It is compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8.1, and Windows 7 (SP1).
- RAW File Converter EX: RAW File Converter EX allow you to view RAW files on your computer. It is compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 (SP1), Mac OS X 10.7-10.11, and macOS Sierra.