About the Cobra CPI 490
Power household devices in your vehicle
Power household devices in your vehicle
When you and your vehicle are away from home, you may need to use 120-volt AC powered devices or USB-powered devices. However, there's a problem: you can't power these devices from the vehicle's DC system. With a Cobra power inverter, you can convert the vehicle's DC power to AC power, allowing you to power your household devices from your vehicle's electrical system.
400 watts of continuous AC power
Cobra's CPI 490 inverter offers two grounded 120-volt outputs as well as a 5-volt USB port. The inverter includes a cigarette lighter/12-volt cord for 150-watt output, and direct-to-battery cables for a full 400-watt output. Wired to the battery, it'll power office equipment and household appliances, and the USB port allows simultaneous charging of devices such as MP3 players, smart phones, and tablets. Safety features include thermal protection and high/low voltage shutoff.
- portable DC to AC power inverter
- 400 watts of continuous AC power (800 watts peak)
- 12-volt cord for 150-watt output
- direct-to-battery cables for 400-watt output
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # CPI490
What's in the box:
- Lighter adapter w/ 24" cords terminated with 1/4" ring-terminals
- Battery clamps w/ 24" cords terminated with 1/4" ring-terminals
- Owner's manual (English / Spanish)
More details on the Cobra CPI 490
Overview: The CPI 490 is a lightweight, compact power inverter that converts your vehicle's 12 volt battery or cigarette lighter plug into dual AC outlets. Ideal for cars, trucks, RVs, and boats, the inverter offers 400 watts of continuous power and 800 watts peak power, when connected directly to a battery, and up to 150 watts using the included cigarette lighter adapter. It also includes a USB (Type-A) port for charging phones, tablets, and other USB devices with 2.4 amps of current available. The CPI 490 can deliver 400 watts of continuous power for about 60 minutes, then must cool down for 15 minutes before resuming operation at 400 watts. Its operating voltage can range from 10 to 15 volts with optimum performance between 12 and 14 volts.
Pentagon Protection: The CPI 490 offers 5 levels of protection against failures: thermal shutdown, reverse polarity protection, over-voltage shutdown, and low-voltage shutdown with low voltage alarm. If the inverter is powered up and working correctly, the Power LED will light steady green. A red LED and/or an audible alarm indicates one of the following problems:
- Current Overload: The LED will continuously blink red then shutdown.
- DC Input Voltage Overload: The LED will light red and the inverter will shut down.
- DC Input Voltage Shortage: If the voltage starts to get low, the alarm will sound. If the voltage does get too low, the inverter will shut down and the LED will turn red.
- Temperature Overload: If the inverter over-heats, the LED will blink red and the inverter will shut down.
Note: When the inverter is first powered on, it will momentarily sound the alarm and flash red.
Chassis: The CPI 490 is made of durable molded-plastic with 4 mounting feet allowing the unit to be secured to metal or wood surfaces. One end of the inverter includes positive and negative screw-down input terminals, each with a threaded post that can accommodate the terminals on the included lighter and battery adapter cables. The battery adapter has small battery clamps on one end while the other adapter has a male lighter plug, each with 24" of wire terminating in 1/4" ring-terminals. The input side of the inverter also includes a cooling fan. The output side has a Power switch, a Power/Fault LED, a Type-A USB charging port, and two grounded, 3-pin, AC sockets.
- Continuous Output Power (1 hour): 400 W
- Surge Rating (0.1 second): 800 W
- Peak Efficiency (12 V - 1/2 load): > 88%
- Peak Efficiency (12 V - full load): > 83%
- Output Waveform (resistive load): Modified sine wave
- Output Frequency: 58 Hz - 62 Hz
- Output Voltage: 109 V - 120 V
- USB Output: 5 V / 2.4 A
- Input Voltage: 10.4 VDC - 14.4 VDC
- Alarm Voltage: 10.2 V - 10.8 V
- Shutdown Voltage: 9.2 V - 9.8 V
- Operating Temperature: 32˚ F - 104˚ F
- Storage Temperature: -40˚ F - 185˚ F
- Dimensions: Width - 5.25", Depth - 6.50", Height - 2.62"
- Weight: 1.05 lbs.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?