About the Cobra RAD 450
Stay safe with Cobra's detector leading the way
Stay safe with Cobra's detector leading the way
Cobra's RAD 450 radar detector keeps you aware of incoming radar and laser threats like a champ, and it looks darn good doing so. Not only does its sharp OLED screen provide easily scannable visual alerts, this detector features spoken and tone audible alerts so you can know what's up ahead without even looking. Cobra loaded the RAD 450 with advanced technology to keep false alerts to a minimum, so you can cruise with worry-free confidence.
Like an invisible shield for your vehicle
The RAD 450 gives you multiple-band radar and laser protection. Super-fast circuitry ensures you'll have long-distance protection and rapid delivery of alerts. You'll also be protected against VG-2 and Spectre I radar detector-detection devices, and get alerts as those threats approach.
See warnings on a bright OLED screen
Cobra's new OLED screen quickly gives you all the info you need on a bright, easy-to-read white background. You'll see radar band identification icons and a numeric strength meter. You can program the display to show text in English or Spanish. And you can dim the display at night to make things easy on your eyes.
The RAD 450 also offers audible tone or voice warnings when a signal is detected. You can quiet things temporarily with the convenient mute button, or enter QuietDrive mode for a silent ride. As with the text display, the voice alerts can be programmed for English or Spanish.
Don't get fooled by false alerts
The RAD 450 incorporates sophisticated anti-falsing circuitry to keep you from getting annoying false alerts from automatic door openers, roadside traffic flow monitors, and other radar detectors. Cobra's updatable in-vehicle technology filter reduces false alerts from collision avoidance systems and adaptive cruise controls found in other vehicles on the road, both now and in the future as the technology changes.
Sorry, but we cannot ship radar detectors to Virginia or the District of Columbia.
- radar detector
- suction-cup mount windshield bracket kit
- straight power cord
- white OLED text display
- English or Spanish voice and text alerts
- detects multiple radar bands and 6 laser bands
- audio tone and voice alerts for radar and laser, including signal strength
- anti-falsing circuitry and updatable in-vehicle technology filter
- 360° laser protection
- VG-2 and Spectre I immunity and alerts
- Spectre IV+ alerts
- display includes numeric signal strength
- dim and auto-mute modes
- QuietDrive mode for temporary silence
- dimensions: 2-7/8"W x 1-3/8"H x 4-1/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 0180002-1
What's in the box:
- Radar detector
- Dual suction cup mount
- Hook-and-loop pad
- 76" Power cable with cigarette lighter adapter
- Operating Instructions
- Product Registration note
- Customer Care note
Cobra RAD 450 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Cobra RAD 450
Features & specs
|X Band Radar||Yes|
|K Band Radar||Yes|
|KA Photo Radar||Yes|
|KA Wideband Radar||Yes|
|Display & Alerts|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Cobra RAD 450 detects all radar, laser, and VG-2 signals. It has a bright, easy-to-read white OLED display, so you can always be aware of radar and laser use nearby. The RAD 450 comes with dash and windshield mounts, and a 76" straight power cord with a cigarette lighter adapter.
Radar/Laser Detection: The RAD 450 detects X, K, and Ka band radar signals, including those from "instant on" radar guns. With LaserEye, the unit detects LIDAR (Light Detection and Ranging), commonly known as Laser, from the front and rear. For best results, the unit must have a clear view out the windshield and back window. The RAD 450 monitors the following frequencies:
- Radar: The display shows the following radar bands
along with LEDs indicating signal strength.
- X Band: 10.525 GHz
- K Band: 24.150 GHz
- Ka Band: 33.400 - 36.000 GHz
- Ku Band: 13.435 GHz
Note: The FCC has approved X, K, and Ka band for use in the US, while the Ku band is used in parts of Europe and Asia.
- Laser: LTI 20-20, LTI Laser, Kustom Signals Laser 340, Kustom Signals Laser, Stalker LIDAR, and Laser Atlanta SpeedLaser/Kustom Signals-ProLaser II. The display shows the letter "L" when any of the above-listed Laser types are detected.
Display: The RAD 450 is equipped with a 2", easy-to-read white OLED display with bright band identification icons, a 5-segment signal strength indicator, and a numeric frequency readout. You can adjust the intensity of the display using the top mounted "Dim" button in 3 levels (Bright, Dim, Dark). After a set interval, the screen saver will turn off the display until an alert or button press occurs.
Visual Alerts: The display includes the type of signals detected, as well as a bar graph indication of the signal strength. Laser detection and VG-2 detection are indicated with a glowing "L" or "V", respectively.
Voice and Tone Alerts: The unit will provide voice and tone alerts and confirm user settings. Digital voice announcements, in English or Spanish, identify the nature of the alert so you can keep your eyes on the road. Voice alerts can be turned off if you want to only hear tones. A distinctly different tone is used for each type of signal detected, and with radar bands, the tones will repeat faster as you approach the signal source.
Quiet Drive: When you want less audible feedback from your detector, you can activate Quiet Drive. When you get an alert, only the first few seconds of audio will be heard. You can activate or deactivate in the User Settings, or by pressing the Mute button for two seconds.
IntelliMute: IntelliMute will automatically mute alerts you don't need to hear because you are moving slowly or stopped. The unit senses the RPMs of your engine to determin when you are at low speed or idling. You must first set an activation point before activating IntelliMute.
Auto Mute: Auto Mute automatically reduces the volume of all alerts after 4 seconds. The signals will remain muted for as long as the signal is detected.
Anti-Falsing Circuitry: The RAD 450's Anti-Falsing circuitry helps to reduce false alerts from erroneous sources, including automatic garage door openers and traffic flow monitoring devices.
- City/Highway Modes: Selectable City and Highway sensitivity modes are available to adjust to the driving environment. The City mode delays all X band audio alerts at lower signal strength levels. This reduces the number of false alerts when you're driving in high density areas where there are many conflicting X band signals from microwave towers and garage door openers. Highway mode gives you increased sensitivity in areas where there are fewer causes for false alerts.
- IVT Filter: The unit has an In-Vehicle Technology (IVT) Filter that reduces false alerts caused by modern safety devices found in recent vehicles. Blind spot systems and collision-avoidance system use radar-like signals to alert you of oncoming traffic or vehicles trailing in your blind spot. Adaptive cruise controls can monitor the distance between your vehicle and one you're following. The IVT Filter can distinguish between these signals and real radar signals, and will keep your detector from emitting a false alert.
VG-2 Protection: Police use radar detector detectors (RDDs) with VG-2 and other signals to find drivers that are using a radar detector. The RAD 450 will alert you with audible and visual signals when it identifies VG-2 signals and RDDs. At the same time, the RAD 450 is invisible to VG-2 detectors. You can turn VG-2 protection on or off as desired.
Mounting: For optimum performance, you should mount your detector in the center of the vehicle, without obstructing the view of the road to the front or rear. The detector can be mounted in two ways:
- Dashboard Mount: Using the supplied hook-and-loop pad, you can attach the detector to the dashboard.
- Windshield Mount: The supplied windshield mount adheres the detector to the windshield with two suction cups. The angle can be adjusted for best visibility.
Power Requirements: The RAD 450 comes with a 12-volt DC power adapter ("cigarette lighter adapter") with a 6' cord. With the optional RA-PSC-B, you can hardwire your radar detector to your vehicle's switched power and ground wires.
The Cobra RAD 450 replaces these items
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?