About the Cobra RAD 480i
Connect to smoother driving with this Cobra detector
Connect to smoother driving with this Cobra detector
The RAD 480i radar detector from Cobra features a gorgeous black chassis and a stupendous white OLED screen, but it's much more than just a pretty face. It also boasts lightning-fast digital signal processing for quicker alerts. Built-in Bluetooth® connectivity allows Cobra's iRadar app to give you a heads-up about live enforcement areas and other incidents on the road near you. Finally, the RAD 480i features Cobra's latest technology to keep false alerts to a minimum so you can travel without annoyance.
Stay on top of threats near and far
The RAD 480i gives you multiple-band radar and laser protection. Super-fast circuitry ensures you'll have long-distance protection and rapid delivery of alerts. Cobra's LaserEye covers your vehicle front and back from laser guns. You'll also be protected against VG-2 radar detector-detection devices, and get alerts as those threats approach.
Treat your peepers with Cobra's OLED screen
Cobra's slick OLED screen quickly gives you all the info you need on a bright, easy-to-read white background. You'll see radar band identification icons and a numeric strength meter. You can program the display to show text in English or Spanish. And you can dim the display at night to make things easy on your eyes.
The iRadar app keeps you informed
The Cobra iRadar app is a simple way to get your iPhone® or Android™ smartphone involved in reducing your stress while driving. The app combines your phone's GPS location information with real-time reports from other Cobra and Escort radar users to keep you abreast of potential threats in your vicinity. You can also use the app to report your own sightings of enforcement or other potential travel hazards, which will then be instantly available to other Cobra and Escort users. The app also alerts you to major changes in the posted speed limit, so you can stay on top of the situation.
With built-in Bluetooth connectivity, you can simply pair the detector with your phone for instant wireless communication between the detector and the app — no additional hardware or cords needed. The Cobra iRadar app is free to download, but a subscription fee is required to use some aspects of the iRadar service — Cobra includes a 1-year trial of the iRadar Premium service with purchase of the RAD 480i detector.
Digital signal processing (DSP) for faster alerts
DSP technology is the same advanced tech found in more expensive radar detectors that delivers faster alerts so you can react from a position of strength. The RAD 480i makes the most of this circuitry so you'll know as soon as possible what lies ahead.
Hear key warnings
The RAD 480i also offers audible tone or voice warnings when a signal is detected. You can quiet things temporarily with the convenient mute button, or enter QuietDrive mode for a silent ride. As with the text display, the voice alerts can be programmed for English or Spanish.
Kick false alerts to the curb
The RAD 480i's sophisticated anti-falsing circuitry keeps you from getting annoying false alerts from automatic door openers, roadside traffic flow monitors, and other radar detectors. Cobra's 2nd-generation updatable In-Vehicle Technology (IVT) filter reduces false alerts from collision avoidance systems and adaptive cruise controls found in other vehicles on the road, both now and in the future as the technology changes.
Sorry, but we cannot ship radar detectors to Virginia or the District of Columbia.
- radar/laser detector
- suction-cup windshield mount with hook-and-loop fastener for dashboard mounting
- straight power cord
- built-in Bluetooth connectivity for use with Cobra iRadar smartphone app
- white OLED screen with black text
- English or Spanish voice and text alerts
- detects multiple radar bands and laser
- digital audio tone alerts for radar and laser, including signal strength
- digital signal processing for faster alerts
- 2nd-generation updatable in-vehicle technology filter
- anti-falsing circuitry
- city/highway modes
- LaserEye laser protection
- VG-2 immunity and alerts
- VoiceAlert (voice announcements keep your eyes on the road)
- display includes numeric signal strength
- four brightness settings, including dark and screen saver mode
- Mute, AutoMute, and QuietRide
- wireless compatibility with Cobra iRadar real-time service through smartphone app (1-year free trial subscription included)
- crowdsourced alerts for photo enforcement areas, red-light cameras, and speed cameras
- crowdsourced alerts for live enforcement areas and accidents or other road incidents
- smartphone GPS location tracking must be turned on
- dimensions: 2-3/4"W x 1-1/4"H x 4-1/4"D
- weight: 4.8 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 0180009-1
What's in the box:
- Radar/laser detector
- Dual suction cup mount
- Adhesive hook-and-loop pad
- 12V DC power adapter with 77" straight cable (DC barrel connector)
- Quick Start Guide
- Congratulations! card
- Product Registration sheet
Cobra RAD 480i reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Cobra RAD 480i
Features & specs
|X Band Radar||Yes|
|K Band Radar||Yes|
|KA Photo Radar||Yes|
|KA Wideband Radar||Yes|
|Display & Alerts|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The RAD 480i radar/laser detection system from Cobra protects you against all radar and laser threats. Its high speed DSP (digital signal processing) provides earlier warnings and fewer false alerts, so you can drive without worry. Connecting your smartphone (via Bluetooth) to the Cobra iRadar app, gives you even better protection with real-time shared alerts from the community and red light and speed camera alerts. The RAD 480i has an easy-to-read, bright white OLED display, and comes with suction cup windshield mount and straight power cord.
Radar/Laser Detection: The RAD 480i detects X, K, Ka, and Ka-POP band radar signals from any direction. The unit's LaserEye detects LiDAR (Light Detection and Ranging), commonly known as Laser, from the front and rear. For best results, the unit must have a clear view out the windshield and back window. The RAD 480i monitors the following frequencies:
- X Band: 10.525 ± 0.050 GHz
- K Band: 24.150 ± 0.125 GHz
- Ka Band: 34.700 ± 1.300 GHz
- VG-2: 11.500 ± 0.250 GHz
- Laser: 910nm ±50nm, 100 PPS
Cobra iRadar App: The award-winning Cobra iRadar app gives you access to the world's largest community-based radar, laser, and camera detection system. You can receive alerts in real time from millions or other iRadar users, plus you can share your alerts as well. You get warnings of upcoming speed cameras, red light cameras, known speed traps, and dangerous intersections from other iRadar users or through Defender®, the industry's largest database of red light, speed, and mobile cameras. The iRadar app is compatible with Apple iPhones and iPads running iOS 11.0 or later, and Android devices running version 5.0 and up.
Reducing False Alerts: The RAD 480i uses advanced technology to reduce annoying false alerts:
- IVT Filter: The unit features a 2nd Generation In-Vehicle Technology (IVT) Filter that reduces false alerts caused by modern safety devices found in newer vehicles. Blind spot systems and collision-avoidance system use radar-like signals to alert you of oncoming traffic or vehicles trailing in your blind spot. Adaptive cruise controls can monitor the distance between your vehicle and one you're following. The IVT Filter can distinguish between these signals and real radar signals, and will keep your detector from emitting a false alert. The IVT Filter can be updated through periodic software updates.
- Sensitivity Modes: The unit offers four Sensitivity Modes that adjust your radar detector to the driving environment. Low and Medium sensitivity settings delay the audio alerts for weak X band and K band signals until they become stronger. The High sensitivity setting utilizes no filtering. When you are connected to iRadar, sensitivity is set to Auto, adjusting the sensitivity based on your speed.
VG-2: The RAD 480i can identify VG-2 signals from radar detector detectors (RDDs), and will alert you when one is in use near your vehicle. The unit is invisible to VG-2 RDDs, and you can choose in the menu whether or not you want to be alerted to VG-2 RDD signals.
Display Modes: The RAD 480i has an easy-to-read OLED display with black characters on a white background. The "More Detail" display shows the radar band, signal strength, and frequency. The "Less Detail" display, recommended for new users, shows one, two, or three bars to indicate a Low, Medium, or High level threat. Laser alerts always receive a full-strength alert. If desired, you can display the vehicle's battery voltage while no signal is being detected.
Tone and Voice Alerts: The RAD 480i will provide distinctly different alert tones for each type of signal detected, including laser. You can adjust the audio volume with a side-mounted rotary control. A press of the mute button on the top lets you quickly turn off an audio alert. Quiet Drive provides a muted driving mode with less audible feedback. Digital voice announcements, in English or Spanish, identify the nature of the alert so you can keep your eyes on the road. Voice announcements also help you navigate the menu and confirm user settings. Voice alerts can be turned off if you want to only hear tones.
Mounting Options: The RAD 480i comes with a dual suction cup windshield mount. You may need to bend the bracket to adjust the angle of the detector, making sure it is parallel to the road's surface. You can also mount the detector on the dashboard with the included hook-and-loop fastener.
Power Requirements: The RAD 480i includes a DC power adapter with a 6' straight cord for powering the unit. The cord plugs into the detector via a DC barrel connector. An optional Hardwire Kit, sold separately, lets you hardwire the RAD 480i into your vehicle's electrical system.
Smart Power: The Smart Power mode puts the unit into Low Power mode 15 minutes after the vehicle's engine has been turned off. Just before the unit enters Low Power mode, it will emit 3 beeps and flash "Smart Power" on the display. You can return to Normal power by starting the car, pressing any button, or turn the unit off, then on again.
USB Port: The unit is equipped with a Micro-B USB port that allows you to connect it to your computer for future software updates. No USB cable is included.
The Cobra RAD 480i replaces these items
2 questions already asked