About the Focal 100 ICLCR 5
Engaging overhead surround sound
Engaging overhead surround sound
We don't often recommend in-ceiling speakers for your home theater's front channels. That's because most models fire straight downward, so the sound tends to seem disconnected from your TV screen. Focal's 100 ICLCR 5 is a rare exception of an in-ceiling speaker that does a great job reproducing your home theater's front soundstage.
This speaker's angled baffle directs sound down and forward toward your listening position. It makes the movie's soundtrack feel like it's coming from the action unfolding on the screen, instead of several feet above it. This specialized design allows for use as a left-, right-, or center-channel speaker in an overhead home theater system.
The 100 ICLCR 5's drivers are angled to direct sound toward your seat.
Super smooth performance
This speaker employs a passive radiator design to create lifelike sound in your room. It features two of Focal's 5" Polyglass woofers for punchy bass and articulate midrange. Smooth, natural highs come courtesy of a 1" aluminum tweeter. And an 8" Polyglass passive radiator helps reinforce low-frequency "oomph."
A built-in enclosure elevates performance
One of my favorite features of the 100 ICLCR 5 is the back-box that's built onto the speaker. This carefully designed enclosure helps this speaker deliver consistently focused, well-balanced sound no matter what kind of space is behind it in your ceiling. It also keeps dust and dirt out.
If this is a do-it-yourself installation, check out our guide to installing in-ceiling speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire. Free lifetime technical support is provided with every Crutchfield purchase.
- specialized design allows for use as a left-, right-, or center-channel speaker in an overhead home theater system
- angled-baffle design directs sound toward your listening position
- can be used for front- or rear-channel speaker locations
- integrated channel selector lets you identify where the speaker will be within your system to optimize performance
- 1" aluminum inverted dome tweeter
- tweeter pivots 360° to direct high frequencies toward you
- three-position tweeter level control cuts or boosts high-frequency output to ideally suit your room's acoustics
- dual 5" Polyglass woofers for smooth midrange
- 8" Polyglass passive radiator for reinforced bass output
- humidity-resistant design (not recommended for direct exposure to water)
- built-in back-box ensures well-balanced sound in any installation and protects against dust and dirt
- unobtrusive frame and paintable magnetic grille for discreet installation
- recommended amplifier power: 25-120 watts
- frequency response: 65-23,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 92 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- designed and developed in France
- cutout dimensions: 12-7/8"W x 12-7/8"H
- overall dimensions: 13-15/16"W x 13-15/16"H
- mounting depth: 5-13/16"
- weight: 11.6 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 100IC LCR5
What's in the box:
- One in-ceiling speaker enclosure
- Eight 3-1/2" Wood-screws
- 1 Metal-mesh grill (white)
- Cut-out template
- Quickstart guide
Focal 100 ICLCR 5 reviews
I changed out my tower speakers and 7 speakers surround system at the request of my wife and interior designer who claimed they were ugly. I had great concern that the sound would be less than ideal, however after using the built in analyzer within my tuner, the sound is very good. Maybe not as good as the large speakers, but more than acceptable quality sound. I can't tell any difference. Most important, wife is very happy.
Pros: Easy installation
1 of 1 found this helpful
The Focal's sound great, but getting them installed was a challenge due to the width. My ceiling construction is open web joists installed 16" on center. That left almost exactly 12-5/8" clearance for the speakers. Two of them required permanent modification to squeeze them in. I was concerned that having the speakers in a 9' ceiling would result in the sound disconnected from the TV picture. If you focus on it, it's noticeable; but if you don't, it's nearly seamless. I attribute this to the selectable position adjustment and the adjustable tweeter on the speaker. I'm very impressed with the speakers overall and would definitely buy them again. Also, the greater the volume, the better the experience.
Pros: Sound quality. Setup for home theater.
Cons: Can be tricky to install solo. Width may be an issue depending on ceiling construction.
1 of 1 found this helpful
More details on the Focal 100 ICLCR 5
Features & specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Cutout Size||12.813 x 12.813|
|Power Range (Watts)||25-120|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Overview: The Focal 100 ICLCR5 is a two-way, in-ceiling speaker designed for home theater applications. It can be used as either a front left, right, or center channel or as a rear channel, especially in large rooms with no rear wall nearby for floor or in-wall speakers. A 3-position switch is provided that can shift the speaker's imaging depending on which location the speaker is in, with choices of Left, Right, or Center.
Design: The 100 ICLCR5 features dual 5" Polyglass cone woofers and an 8" passive radiator for deep bass response, along with a 1" aluminum inverted dome tweeter. The speaker's compact unibody and new crossover were designed to improve sound dispersion and off-axis listening, helping to avoid the "shower effect". The tweeter can be tilted up to 20˚ in any direction and includes a 3-way switch for adjusting the output level according to the acoustic environment with selections of -3dB, 0dB, and +3dB. The speaker includes a paintable, magnetic, metal-mesh grill. Small magnets around the rim of the speaker allow the grill to be easily placed and removed with no tools required. A set of spring-posts are provided for attaching speaker wire.
Installation: The Focal in-ceiling speaker includes 8 integrated mounting brackets with optimized grips. These allow the speaker to be locked into place by simply tightening the 8 Philips-head screws after placing speaker in the opening. As the screw is tightened, the arms will swing outward and press against the backside of the drywall or mounting surface. The screws remain attached to the mounting arms, even when fully loosened, preventing them from falling out and making for an easier installation. Eight 3-1/2" wood-screws are provided for mounting directly to framing. Focal also offers the 100ICLCR5 pre-construction mounting kit for installations that require more support for the speaker.
- Drivers: Dual 5" Polyglass woofers, one 8" passive radiator, and a 1" aluminum inverted dome tweeter
- Sensitivity: 92db
- Frequency Response (+/- 3dB): 65Hz - 23kHz
- Impedance: 8Ω
- RMS Power: 25 - 120W
- Cutout Dimensions: 12.813" x 12.813"
- Mounting Depth: 5.88"
- External Dimensions: Width - 13.88", Length - 13.88", Depth - 6.125"
- Net Weight: 11.6 lbs.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
2 questions already asked