About the Focal Aria K2 936K2
Seamless, life-sized sound from top to bottom
Seamless, life-sized sound from top to bottom
In Focal's K2 drivers, woven aramid fibers sandwich lightweight, rigid inner layers for quick response with excellent damping.
We are intrigued to see Focal's classic Aria 936 floor-standing speaker in a K2 edition. You get the same beautiful build quality and driver array — three woofers, one midrange, and Focal's TNF inverted dome tweeter — but the woofer and midrange cones use woven aramid fibers instead of flax.
These K2 cones consist of light foam and fiberglass layers sandwiched by the aramid fiber layers. That makes them light and rigid, with exceptional damping, so you get articulate, fast, and transparent sound.
Inverted dome tweeter looks different, sounds terrific
The K2 936 also features Focal's 1" aluminum/magnesium inverted dome tweeter. Inverting the dome brings more of its surface area closer to the voice coil, which allows for a smaller, lower-mass coil. Focal has found that reduced mass lets their inverted dome move faster than a conventional one, for better high-frequency response.
And the tweeter's lightweight Poron "memory foam" suspension improves damping, which reduces distortion in the critical 2-3kHz range by a factor of three, compared to a typical suspension.
The tweeter is mounted in a waveguide plate, which further enhances its lifelike imaging and wide dispersion. Its frequency response varies by only ±0.5dB in your horizontal plane, so you'll get a consistent soundstage even when you're not sitting in the sweet spot.
Stylish, vibration-resistant cabinet
All Aria speakers feature ultra-rigid MDF cabinets with sturdy internal bracing and non-parallel sides. Focal takes these steps to eliminate the unwanted vibrations that lead to "boxy" colorations in the sound. The K2 936's ash gray cabinet has a traditional look, but with some nice touches, like the leatherette finish on the front, and the glass top surface.
Built in-house for better quality and value
The speaker drivers in every Aria speaker are built in-house at Focal's facilities in Saint-Etienne, France. That gives Focal complete control over every aspect of design, manufacture, and quality control, so you get a consistently superior, high-value speaker.
- 3-way design
- 1" TNF aluminum/magnesium inverted dome tweeter with waveguide
- 6-1/2" midrange with K2 aramid fiber/fiberglass sandwich cone
- three 6-1/2" woofers with K2 aramid fiber/fiberglass sandwich cones
- frequency response: 39-28,000 Hz (±3dB)
- recommended amplifier power: 50-300 watts
- sensitivity: 92 dB
- nominal impedance: 8 ohms compatible
- bass-reflex design with PowerFlow multi-port system
- uses both front-firing and down-firing ports for deeper bass response with more impact and less distortion
- aluminum alloy base with integrated adjustable spikes for carpeted floors, and rubber feet or plastic protectors for placement on hard surfaces
- binding posts accept pins, spade lugs, banana connectors, or bare wire
- removable magnetic cloth grille
- designed and built in France
- 11-9/16"W x 45-3/16"H x 14-11/16"D
- weight: 64 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # JMLARIA936K2-GY
What's in the box:
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- 4 Spike feet (pre-installed in base)
- 4 Plastic feet
- 4 Screws
- User Manual
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Focal Aria K2 936K2
Features & specs
|Tweeter||Inverted Hard Dome|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||6.5|
|Woofer Size (inches)||6.5|
|Woofer Composition||Aramid fiber|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Dolby Atmos Drivers||No|
|Connector Type||Binding post|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Frequency Response||39-28k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
Three-Way Floorstanding Loudspeaker: The Aria K2 936 is a three-way Floorstanding loudspeaker that utilizes Focal's TNF inverted dome tweeter, a Aramid fibercone midrange driver, and three Aramid fiber cone woofers for a smooth, natural sound with no coloration. You'll hear highs that are detailed and delicate, midrange that is rich and articulate, and bass that is deep and accurate. The Focal Aria K2 936 Floorstanding loudspeaker is designed to faithfully reproduce music and movie soundtracks in a dedicated stereo configuration or home theater application.
TNF Inverted Dome Tweeter: The Aria K2 936 houses one TNF aluminum/magnesium inverted dome 1" tweeter with a Poron suspension and Urethane waveguide for smoother sound. The tweeter developed for the Aria 900 series uses Focal exclusive inverted dome technology, for optimal energy transfer and limited directivity. The dome's aluminum/ magnesium alloy guarantees outstanding stiffness and damping.
- Poron Suspension: The suspension between the dome and its bracket uses Poron, a material with shape memory. This suspension method is directly derived from the famous Utopia Beryllium tweeter, making it possible to reduce distortion by a factor of three in the 2-3kHz range, where the human ear has very great sensitivity. The mechanical properties of the new suspension system using Poron, an open cell polyurethane microcellular foam, provides numerous benefits - including excellent dimensional stability and no degradation over time. The advantages of the use of Poron in this tweeter are obvious in terms of linearity and distortion reduction. This leads to a silkier, more precise sound with greater harmonic richness.
- Urethane Waveguide: The tweeter mounting has an integral waveguide which maximizes horizontal directivity and minimizes diffraction. The Urethane waveguide improves horizontal directivity and provides a more precise sound image with an incredibly stable sound stage, making the listening position much less critical.
Note: The TNF tweeter uses a relatively flexible aluminum/magnesium alloy, with a "shape memory" enabling it to withstand the majority of small impacts in the home. Nevertheless, Focal recommends leaving the included grilles in place to protect the dome. If the dome surface is marked this could have an impact on the tweeter.
K2 Power Cone Midrange & Woofers: The Aria K2 936 houses one 6.5" midrange driver and three 6.5" bass woofers with Focal's K2 Power Cone technology. K2 Power Cone technology combines three key speaker factors (damping, rigidity, and lightness) to ensure pure and precise sound with no coloration. The K2 Power Cone is composed of two layers of aramid fibers, applied to either side of a hollow micro-ball structure in order to improve the balance between weight, rigidity and damping. These aramid fiber sandwich cones will deliver dynamic and powerful sound with high power handling capability and exceptional precision.
Ultra-Rigid MDF Enclosures: The speaker cabinet features ultra-rigid MDF construction, internal bracing, non-parallel side panels, and an aluminum alloy base for a neutral sound with very little vibration or distortion. The cabinet highlights a glass top-surface for added strength and a leather-finished front panel for its absorbent and acoustic diffraction qualities. The cabinet has no visible fixings; only a solid brushed metal ring surrounding the cone drivers and a matte-black urethane waveguide around the tweeter. The included fabric grille attaches magnetically. This carefully designed cabinet exudes style and quality, blending in perfectly with traditional or more contemporary interiors.
Multiple-Port Powerflow System: The Aria K2 936 Floorstanding speaker utilizes Focal's Multiple-Port Powerflow System with a front-firing and down-firing aerodynamic port for greater efficiency and bigger, deeper bass performance with more impact and less distortion.
Binding Post Speaker Terminals: The Focal Aria K2 936 Floorstanding speaker is equipped with a set of heavy-duty binding post terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only). Two plastic inserts will need to be removed to use banana plugs.
Aluminum Alloy Base (w/ Rubber, Spike, & Plastic Feet): The Focal Aria K2 936 floorstanding loudspeaker features an aluminum alloy base for excellent stability and aids in the speaker's overall performance. The aluminum alloy base will need to be installed; it screws into the bottom of the speaker cabinet using the included four hex-head screws. The base has four integrated rubber feet for hardwood, tile, vinyl, and laminate flooring (if you choose to use the integrated rubber feet, completely unscrew the pre-installed spike feet from the base). If you have carpeted floors, four spike feet are pre-installed in the base. The spike feet are adjustable for leveling up the speaker on uneven floors. If you prefer to use the spike feet, but have hardwood or tile flooring, you can use the included plastic feet that fit over the spike feet to protect your floors.
- Dimensions with Rubber Feet: 11.5625" (w) x 45.1875" (h) x 14.6875" (d)
- Dimensions with Spike Feet: 11.5625" (w) x 46.1875" (h) x 14.6875" (d)
- Dimension with Plastic Feet: 11.5625" (w) x 46.3125" (h) x 14.6875" (d)
Note: Due to the down-firing port and for proper stability, the floorstanding loudspeaker is not to be used without the aluminum alloy base installed.
Placement Options: Follow these simple placement guidelines to optimize the Aria K2 936 floorstanding loudspeaker's performance and to guarantee good tonal balance and a realistic sound stage.
- The loudspeakers should be positioned symmetrically, facing the listening area, ideally forming an equilateral triangle with it. It is, however, possible to vary these distances to arrive at the ideal compromise for any particular conditions.
- Do not position your loudspeakers too close to a corner of the room and do not place them too close to a wall. If they are positioned close to a wall or a corner this has the effect of exciting certain resonances within the room and artificially increasing the bass. Conversely, if the bass level is judged to be insufficient, you could try moving the loudspeakers nearer a wall to re-balance the bass level.
Note: The Aria K2 936 Floorstanding loudspeaker is recommended for rooms measuring from 215ft2 and from a listening distance of 10ft.
Made In France: The Aria K2 936 Floorstanding loudspeaker is developed and manufactured in France by Focal.
Break-In Period: The Aria K2 936 loudspeaker is acomplex mechanical assembly which needs a period of adaptation ("break-in") to operate at its best and to become acclimated to the temperature and humidity conditions of your environment. This break-in period varies depending on the conditions in question and may last for some weeks. To facilitate break-in, Focal recommends operating their speakers for approximately twenty hours consecutively. Once the loudspeaker's characteristics totally stabilize, you will be able to enjoy the Aria K2 936's performance to the fullest.