About the Focal Dôme Flax
Big sound from a tiny and beautiful speaker
The Dôme Flax's integrated base doubles as a convenient, swiveling wall-mount.
Big sound from a tiny and beautiful speaker
We have the luxury here at Crutchfield of seeing and hearing many of Focal's unique speakers in action. The super-compact Dôme Flax satellite exudes the company's originality — from its eye-catching lacquered aluminum body to its unusual complement of drivers. And with Focal, you know every detail has been thought out with the singular goal of lifelike sound.
Focal's flax cone: stiff as a board, light as a feather
As the name implies, the Dôme Flax's 4" mid-bass woofer is made from an exclusive flax cone material. A layer of hollow, ultra-lightweight flax fibers is sandwiched between two thin layers of glass. These extraordinarily light-yet-rigid woofers deliver rich, uncolored midrange and tight, natural bass.
The Dôme Flax's other driver is also unusual: a 1" inverted dome tweeter crafted from magnesium and aluminum. Its fast, accurate response allows detailed, dynamic highs that extend all the way up to 28,000 Hz.
An integrated stand/mount for flexible placement options
Are you going to use the Dôme Flax as a bookshelf speaker in a stereo system? Or maybe wall-mounted as part of your home theater? Each satellite comes with an integrated base that serves as a tabletop stand or as a mounting bracket. (Focal includes the hardware you need to install it on your wall.) The base swivels up to 90°, so you can aim the speaker as you need.
- ultra-compact satellite speaker for high-performance music and home theater systems
- can be placed on a tabletop or speaker stand, or mounted to the wall or ceiling
- integrated stand/mount tilts up to 90° for setup flexibility
- frequency response: 80-28,000 Hz (±3 dB)
- recommended amplifier power: 25-100 watts
- impedance: 8 ohms
- sensitivity: 88 dB
- 4" woven flax fiber mid-bass driver with rubber surround
- 1" aluminum/magnesium inverted dome tweeter
- acoustic-suspension (sealed) cabinet design
- set screw-style speaker terminals on the underside of the speaker
- lacquered high-gloss white aluminum cabinet
- designed and constructed in France
- 5-3/4"W x 6-3/4"H x 5-5/8"D
- weight: 4.2 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # DOME10FW
What's in the box:
- Satellite loudspeaker (integrated table-top stand)
- Grille (pre-installed)
- Rubber pad
- Wall-mount bracket
- 2 Screws
- 2 Wall-anchors
- User Manual
Focal Dôme Flax reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Focal Dôme Flax
Features & specs
|Tweeter Type||Inverted Dome|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||4|
|Frequency Response||80-28k Hz|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||30-36|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Dome Flax Satellite Loudspeaker: Focal's Dôme Flax is a high-end satellite loudspeaker that is made in France and incorporates Focal loudspeaker technology from the brand's most prestigious models. The Dôme Flax uses a two-way driver configuration with a 1" Aluminum/Magnesium inverted dome tweeter and a 4" Flax cone woofer for a natural, multi-directional soundstage.
1" Aluminum/Magnesium Inverted Dome Tweeter: The Focal Dôme Flax satellite loudspeaker features a 1" Aluminum/Magnesium inverted dome tweeter. This configuration produces a precise, analytical sound and an extremely deep soundstage. Magnesium possesses great damping qualities, while Aluminum provides greater rigidity. The unique marriage of these two metals offers several key advantages - rapid response, reduced distortion, and excellent damping. This enables the tweeter to extend its frequency response to 28kHz (-3dB) with thigh frequencies that are both dynamic and detailed.
4" Flax Cone Woofer: The Focal Dôme Flax satellite loudspeaker utilizes a 4" Flax cone woofer. The flax cone is made in France and exclusively by Focal since 2013. With its original design, the cone is entirely oriented towards acoustic performance. It is made of high quality flax fiber enclosed by two thin layers of glass fiber. The Flax cone is characterized by its natural sound, with low coloration, its richness of reproduction in the midrange register and its tighter bass. The lightness of the fiber satisfies the criteria of high internal damping, high velocity and high flexural rigidity. Flax is twice as light as fiberglass, because the fiber is hollow. It also has very low elasticity which makes it ideal to increase the flexural rigidity of a sandwich structure.
High-Gloss Lacquered Aluminum Enclosure: The Dôme Flax has a sleek, sealed enclosure design without any visible screw fittings, and is made using sophisticated materials with luxury finishes. It's round shape & design resembles that of a spot-light, which is ideal to avoid internal resonances that distort the purity of timbers. The enclosure is completely sealed for more accurate sound, void of any port noise. The Dôme Flax is available in a gloss white finish with removal grey cloth grille or a gloss black finish with a removal black cloth grille.
Set-Screw Speaker Terminals: The Focal Dôme Flax satellite loudspeaker employs bottom-mounted set-screw terminals which will accept bare wire up to 16 gauge. A hex-key is included to adjust the set screws.
Multi-Direction Sound w/ Flexible Mounting Options: The Focal Dôme Flax satellite loudspeaker is multi-directional, so placement is flexible. The Dôme Flax is ideal for rooms and spaces up to approximately 430 square feet. It can be placed on a table-top, or mounted to the wall or ceiling.
- Integrated Table-Top Stand: The satellite loudspeaker comes with an integrated table-top stand and a rubber foot pad which allows it to securely set on top of a piece of AV furniture, stand, shelf, or desk. The integrated table-top stand allows the speaker to fire directly out into the room, or you can tilt the speaker upward (up to 90°).
- Wall/Ceiling Mount Bracket: The integrated table-top stand also allows you to mount the speaker to the wall or ceiling with the included mounting bracket. The rubber foot pad is removed and the included bracket is attached to the bottom of the table-stop stand after the bracket is secured to the wall or ceiling with the included screws. When wall-mounted, the speaker can fire directly out into the room, or you can tilt the speaker downward (up to 90°). When ceiling-mounted, the speaker fires directly down into the room, or you can tilt the speaker upward (up to 90°).
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?