About the Focal FDP 4.600
High-powered, full-range, and will work with almost any system
High-powered, full-range, and will work with almost any system
Focal's FDP 4.600 4-channel amplifier can deliver 150 watts RMS to each of your front and rear speakers, ideal for a high-performance system. You can also use the amp in 3-channel mode, powering each of your front speakers with 150 watts RMS, while sending 400 watts to a sub. The FDP 4.600 uses full-range Class D technology to deliver big-league power from a chassis that's smaller than a 2" stack of printer paper.
The amp's speaker-level inputs and auto turn-on let you connect it to almost any car stereo, even a factory radio. You can use the extensive filter section to optimize the amp's tone and performance for your subwoofers or speakers. In bandpass mode, the amp can even drive woofers, tweeters, and other components separately.
Remote control and clip light
Focal includes a wired remote bass level controller for your sub, so you can tweak your bass from song to song from your front seat. This remote also features an LED clip light that'll let you know if you're overloading the amp.
Focal FDP 4.600 connection and control panel
- 4-channel car amplifier
- 150 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (200 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
- 400 watts RMS x 2 bridged at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
- CEA-2006 compliant
- full-range Class D amp technology
- Ch 1 and 2: variable high-pass filter (50-4000 Hz, 12dB/octave)
- Ch 3 and 4: variable high-pass and low-pass filters (50-4000 Hz, 12dB/octave)
- Ch 3 and 4: bandpass filter option (uses low-pass and high-pass settings) and stereo/mono switch
- frequency response: 5-25,000 Hz
- preamp and speaker-level inputs
- high-level inputs require speaker wire to RCA adapters
- auto signal-detection and turn-on with high-level input
- remote subwoofer level control with LED clip light included
- fuse rating: 25A x 2
- 8-gauge power and ground leads recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- dimensions: 10-1/16"W x 2"H x 8"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # FDP 4.600
What's in the box:
- 4-Channel amplifier
- Two 25A ATO fuses (installed)
- Long mounting bracket
- 2 Short mounting brackets
- Remote sub control
- 16.5' Remote cable (RJ25 plugs on each end)
- 2mm Allen wrench
- 3mm Allen wrench
- 4mm Allen wrench
- 4 Countersunk M4 x 8mm screws
- 4 Self-tapping screws (M4 x 20mm)
- 2 Self-tapping screws (M3 x 5mm)
- 4 Rubber flat washers
- Operations Manual
Focal FDP 4.600 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Focal FDP 4.600
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
150 x 4 |
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||200 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||400 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||5-25k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||90 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-4000 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-4000 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|Bass Boost Frequency||N/A|
|Speaker Level Inputs||RCA|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
CEA-2006 Compliant: CEA-2006 is a system of testing and measurement methods for mobile audio amplifiers. This voluntary standard advocates a uniform method for measuring an amplifier's RMS power output and signal-to-noise ratio. The criteria for measuring power uses a DC input voltage of 14.4 volts and the RMS power output is measured into a 4Ω load, with 1% or less Total Harmonic Distortion plus noise (THD+N), and over a frequency range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz (for full range amplifiers). Signal-to-Noise ratio is measured in weighted absolute decibels (dBA) at a reference of 1 watt into 4Ω. CEA-2006 standards allow consumers to compare amplifiers on an equal basis.
Amp Overview: The Focal FDP 4.600 is a full-range Class D 4-channel amplifier. Class D amplifiers are compact, but very powerful. Its Class D design and compact aluminum chassis offer efficient dissipation of heat for reliable performance. The amp can be used to drive four full-range speakers, bi-amping a pair of component speakers, or bridged for two subwoofers. With multiple crossovers built-in, you can configure the amplifier for low-pass, high-pass, or band-pass applications.
Power Output: The amplifier has the following power output:
- 150 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms
- 200 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms
- 400 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms bridged
Speaker Level Inputs: The RCA inputs will accept either speaker-level or line level signals from your car's head unit. A speaker level signal is connected to the RCA inputs using a speaker wire to RCA adapter (sold separately).
Selectable Balanced/Unbalanced Inputs: The amp features two internal DIP switches that allow you to change the standard "unbalanced" inputs to "balanced floating ground" inputs to minimize noise. The amplifier's end panel must be removed to change the switch positions.
Auto Turn-on: When using a speaker level input, the amp will turn on automatically when it senses the input signal.
Invisible Mounting Brackets: The Focal FDP 4.600 includes a mounting bracket that is not visible outside of the amp's footprint. The 9-5/8" x 2-3/4" bracket fits into the bottom panel, and has tabs that fit inside of the amplifier. The bracket is attached to the mounting surface with the supplied self-tapping screws, while the amp is mounted to the bracket with the supplied countersink screws. A pair of external mounting brackets are also included.
Front-mounted Controls/Terminals: The amplifier controls and terminals are all mounted on the front panel for a clean installation and easy setup.
Protection Circuits: The amplifier is equipped with protection circuits for the following: short circuits, thermal overload, reversed polarity, or DC offset.
Level Control (Gain): The Focal FDP 4.600 will accept both line level and speaker level inputs. The input level range is 0.2 Volts to 8.0 Volts. There are rotary input level controls for the front (1+2) and rear (3+4) channels that can be adjusted by a standard flat-head screwdriver (not supplied).
Input Selection: There is a 3-way switch labeled "Route" that designates the source for the inputs:
- 1+2: When set to 1+2, all four RCA inputs are used. This is typically the best selection for powering four full-range speakers, and allows front-to-rear fading from the head unit.
- 3+4: In this position, the input signal on channels 3+4 are routed to channels 1+2. This is used when you need a band pass filter on all four channels, or are bridging the front and rear channels. The level controls still function in this mode.
- Copy: The input signal AND filters on channels 3+4 are copied to channels 1+2. This allows you to run the front channels with a low pass signal when bridging. The level controls still function in this mode.
Linkwitz-Riley Crossovers: The amp features high-quality 12dB per octave Linkwitz-Riley crossovers that can be configured as low pass, band pass, high pass, or flat (full-range). There are independent crossover controls for the front and rear channels:
- Front Channels (1+2): The front channels can be set to Flat (full-range signal/no crossover used) or high pass only. The cutoff frequency is variable from 50Hz to 4000Hz.
- Rear Channels (3+4): The rear channels can be set to
Flat (full-range), high pass, low pass, or band pass.
- Mono Mode: If the Mono/Stereo switch for channels 3+4 is set to Mono, the inputs are mixed to mono for bridge operation. If the Route switch is set to "Copy", the front channels will also be mixed to mono for bridge operation.
Remote Volume Control: The FDP 4.600 includes a wired remote volume control. The remote has integrated flanges and screws are included to mount the unit under the dash. It includes a 16.5' cable to connect to the amplifier. The wired remote measures approximately 1-5/8" wide (2-5/8" including the mounting flanges) x 3/4" tall x 1-1/2" deep (2-1/8" including the knob and cable).
Power Input: Two set-screw terminals are provided for connecting the power and ground cables. The terminals can accept up to 4-gauge wire (an 8-gauge wiring kit is sufficient for the 50-amp rating of the built-in fuses). The set screws are tightened/loosened with the included 4mm Allen wrench.
Remote Turn-on: The remote turn-on set screw terminal will accept up to 12-gauge wire. The set screw is tightened/loosened with the included 2mm Allen wrench.
Note: The remote turn-on is not needed when a speaker-level input is used. The Auto Turn-on circuit will automatically turn on the amp when a signal is detected (or turn off the amp when the input signal is no longer detected).
Speaker Outputs: The includes four pairs of speaker output terminals. Markings are provided for bridged connections. The set-screw terminals will accept up to 12-gauge wire and are tightened/loosened with the included 2mm Allen wrench.
Signal Input: The amplifier features two pairs of stereo RCA inputs. If no line level signal is available, you will need speaker wire to RCA adapters (sold separately) to connect the amplifier to the source unit via speaker wires.
Remote Control: The RJ-25 jack is for connecting the supplied remote control.
Fuses: The amp has two internal 25-amp ATO fuses. The end panel must be removed to access the fuses.
1 question already asked