About the Focal FPX 4.400 SQ
Focal's FPX 4.400 SQ amplifier delivers 70 watts RMS per channel in 4-channel mode, or up to 200 watts RMS per channel when it's bridged to 2-channel operation. This impressive power comes from a compact chassis that's just a little larger than one of my Size 10 bedroom slippers, so it'll probably fit just about anywhere in your vehicle.
Tone controls and high-fidelity
Separate high- and low-pass filters on the front and rear channels let you optimize the signal for the best tone without distortion. Focal's engineers designed this amp to reproduce your music with unerring precision, so it'll pair up nicely with high-performance components or smaller subs.
Focal FPX 4.400 input and control panel
- 4-channel car amplifier
- 70 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (100 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
- 200 watts RMS x 2 bridged at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
- CEA-2006 compliant
- Class-AB amplifier design
- separate variable high- and low-pass filters (40-5000 Hz, 12 dB/octave) for front and rear channels
- preamp inputs
- frequency response: 10-22,000 Hz
- fuse rating: 30A x 2
- 4-gauge power and ground leads recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 12-3/8"W x 2-5/16"H x 6-15/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # FPX 4.400 SQ
What's in the box:
- 4-Channel amplifier
- Two 30A ATO fuses
- 2mm Allen wrench
- 4mm Allen wrench
- Four M4 x 65mm Allen-head screws
- User Manual
Focal FPX 4.400 SQ reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Focal FPX 4.400 SQ
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
70 x 4 |
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||100 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||200 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||10-22k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||---|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||77 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||40-5000 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/oct|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||40-5000 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/oct|
|Bass Boost Frequency||N/A|
|Speaker Level Inputs||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
CEA-2006 Compliant: CEA-2006 is a system of testing and measurement methods for mobile audio amplifiers. This voluntary standard advocates a uniform method for measuring an amplifier's RMS power output and signal-to-noise ratio. The criteria for measuring power uses a DC input voltage of 14.4 volts and the RMS power output is measured into a 4Ω load, with 1% or less Total Harmonic Distortion plus noise (THD+N), and over a frequency range of 20 Hz to 20 kHz (for full range amplifiers). Signal-to-Noise ratio is measured in weighted absolute decibels (dBA) at a reference of 1 watt into 4Ω. CEA-2006 standards allow consumers to compare amplifiers on an equal basis.
Amp Overview: The Focal FPX 4.400 SQ is a full-range Class AB premium 4-channel amplifier, dedicated to sound quality (SQ). Audiophile-grade Sanken transistors are used for high performance, reserve power, lower distortion, and superb sound quality. The thick aluminum chassis (3/8" on top, 11/16" on the sides) offers efficient dissipation of heat for reliable performance. The amp can be configured for four-channel, three-channel, or two-channel operation. It has built-in crossover that can be configured for high-pass or low-pass operation.
Power Output: The amplifier has the following power output:
- 70 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms
- 100 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms
- 200 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms bridged
Compact Footprint: The Focal FPX 4.400 SQ comes with 2-1/2" long mounting screws that secure the amplifier without external mounting tabs. The mounting holes are placed inside of the amp's 11-3/4" x 5-1/4" footprint and extend the entire thickness of the amp.
Protection Circuits: The amplifier is equipped with protection circuits for the following: short circuits, low impedance, power drop, thermal overload, reversed polarity, or DC offset.
Level Control (Gain): The Focal FPX 4.400 SQ is equipped with line level inputs. The input level range is 0.2 Volts to 5.0 Volts. There are separate rotary gain controls for the front (CH 1&2) and rear (CH 3&4) that can be adjusted by a standard flat-head or Phillips screwdriver (not supplied).
Input Modes: There is a 2-way switch labeled "Mode" that designates the source for the inputs:
- 2CH: Inputs 1+2 are used, and the signal is mirrored to channels 3+4. This allows you to drive all four channels with one pair of inputs.
- 4CH: Inputs 1+2 and 3+4 are used. This gives you full fading capability between the front and rear.
Selectable Crossovers: The amp features high-quality crossovers that can be configured as Low-pass, High-pass, or Full Range. There are independent crossover controls for the front and rear channels:
- Channels 1&2: The crossover for channels 1+2 has a variable cutoff frequency from 40Hz to 5000Hz, with a slope of 12dB per octave. There are separate rotary controls for low-pass and high-pass operations. The frequency multiplier switch (F-MULT) activates a 10x multiplier for the setting value of the cutoff frequency. (With the switch at 1x, the frequency range is 40-500Hz; with the switch at 10x, the range is 400-5000Hz.)
- Channels 3&4: The crossover for channels 3+4 has a variable cutoff frequency from 40Hz to 5000Hz, with a slope of 12dB per octave. The frequency multiplier lets you switch between a range of 40-500Hz (1x) and 400-5000Hz (10x).
Power Input: Two set-screw terminals are provided for connecting the power and ground cables. The terminals can accept up to 4-gauge wire. The set screws are tightened/loosened with the included 4mm Allen wrench.
Fuses: The amp comes with two 30A ATO (blade) fuses in the box. There are no built-in fuse holders on the amplifier. The fuses (or a 60A equivalent) should be installed on the power wire within 18" of the battery.
Remote Turn-on: The remote turn-on set screw terminal will accept up to 12-gauge wire. The set screw is tightened/loosened with the included 2mm Allen wrench.
Speaker Outputs: The amp includes four pairs of speaker output terminals. Markings are provided for bridged connections. The set-screw terminals will accept up to 12-gauge wire and are tightened/loosened with the included 2mm Allen wrench.
Signal Input: The amplifier features a pair of stereo RCA inputs for connecting the input signal from the source unit to the amp via RCA cables.
- Frequency Response: 10Hz - 22kHz
- Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.04%
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >77dBA
- Standby Current: 0.6A
- Dimensions: Width 12.375" Height 2.271" Depth 6.926"
- Weight: 8.16 pounds