About the Focal FSP-8
Sculpt the sound to your ideal shape
Sculpt the sound to your ideal shape
There's a lot more to achieving high-fidelity sound than tweaking a bass knob. Focal's FSP-8 digital signal processor gives you the power to tune your system to sound balanced, clear, and accurate. Each channel of the FSP-8 features a 10-band equalizer, extensive crossover settings, time alignment, and more. A wired remote control lets you change settings, and store and recall up to four presets from the comfort of your front seat.
Works well with most systems
The FSP-8 features both preamp and speaker-level inputs so it'll work in almost any system — even one using a factory radio. After installation, you download the FSP-8 DSP MANAGER app from Focal to your Windows-run PC. From there, the user interface software lets you access the menus for Configuration, Equalizer, Crossover, and Time alignment.
FSP-8 DSP MANAGER: Equalizer menu
You can set high-pass, low-pass, and bandpass crossover filters to optimize the signal for any kind of driver you're using — tweeter, midrange, woofer, or subwoofer. 10-band equalization on all 8 channels gives you serious control over the tone coming out every amp and speaker in your system. In order to center the stereo soundstage for the driver, you can adjust time alignment by clicking a stepper button, entering a distance or timing number, or by dragging a speaker icon in the display to the right virtual distance from the listener's position.
FSP-8 DSP MANAGER: Time alignment menu
- digital signal processor
- DSP adjustments and settings made via computer (Windows only) and remote control
- download FSP-8 DSP MANAGER from Focal
- inputs: 6 RCA inputs (for preamp or speaker-level signals); 2 RCA aux inputs; SPDIF input (TOSLINK)
- speaker-level inputs require RCA-to-bare-wire adapters
- Aux L/R preamp inputs let you add a source
- optical digital input can handle 24 bit, 192 mHz signal
- outputs: 8 RCA preamp outputs (3.4 volts RMS)
- adjustable time delay (0-22 msec in 0.1 msec increments)
- 10-band graphic EQ
- adjustable high-, low-, and band-pass filters (16-20,000 Hz)
- phase invertor
- store and recall up to 4 presets
- includes wired remote control
- includes USB cable for connecting to a PC
- wiring, fuse, and hardware not included
- 20-gauge (minimum) power and ground wires and a 3-amp fuse recommended
- dimensions: 8-5/8"W x 1-15/16"H x 6-3/16"D (with brackets)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # FSP-8
What's in the box:
- FSP-8 Signal processor
- FSP-8 Wired remote control
- 16.5' USB cable (Type-A on one end / Type-B on other
- 16.5' RS-485 cable (RJ-24 connectors both ends)
- Four 3/4" Phillips-head screws
- 3.5" Strip hook-and-loop fastener
- User manual
Focal FSP-8 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Focal FSP-8
Overview: The Focal FSP-8 is a high-resolution, high-quality, 8-channel DSP (Digital Signal Processor) designed for and by acoustic experts for shaping the best possible sound in your vehicle, whether you have a factory or aftermarket radio. It features 6 input channels, along with Auxiliary and an Optical digital input, that can all be freely assigned to any of the 8 output channels. The FSP-8 also includes a wired LCD remote control that allows you to easily adjust the main settings and to recall up to 4 saved presets.
DSP Manager: All configuration and control of the FSP-8 is done through a connected laptop or computer running Focal's FSP-8 DSP Manager software. The 4 main screens of the DSP Manager give you access to all the important settings in just a few mouse clicks, reducing setup time and optimizing your listening experience. The DSP Manager software is compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7/8/and 10. MAC is not supported.
Software Setup: The FSP-8 DSP Manager consists of 4 main screens for configuring the settings; Configuration, Equalizer, Crossover, and Time Alignment. The top of each screen includes the Main Level adjustment, Channel Level (for the selected Channel) including a Phase Inverter option, and Channel Selector displaying each of the 8 output channels with options to Mute or Solo each, either individually or as a pair. The first screen is the Configuration screen, which can be set for either Standard or Expert. Standard allows a quick and easy selection of Input and Output configuration with a graphic representation of the vehicle and the speaker locations. Expert mode uses a matrix of Inputs on the left hand side and Outputs along the top with "tick boxes" for assigning routings.
- Configuration (Standard):
- Input configuration: This includes quick-buttons for selecting 5.1 Ch., 4 Ch., 2 Ch., Aux, and Optical for the number of inputs used. A single Input Sensitivity slider is provided for controlling all the input channels except Optical. A selector switch allows the input level to be set for Low, if running standard line-level RCA signal, or High for speaker-level signals.
- Output Configuration: The Output Configuration for Standard
mode also includes 5 quick-buttons for selecting the type of output
routing. A vehicle-graphic displays which speaker locations are "active"
including subwoofer(s). Options include:
- 2.1 Ch: Used for systems with one pair of front speakers and a subwoofer.
- 4.1 Ch: Used for systems with front, rear, and subwoofer.
- 5.1 Ch: This provides separate outputs for front woofer/tweeter component speakers as well as a center channel, rear speakers, and a subwoofer.
- Kit 2-Ways + Sub: Used when the vehicle only has a component speaker set in front and subwoofer(s).
- Kit 3-Ways + Sub: Used when a 3-way woofer/midrange/tweeter is used in front and subwoofer(s).
- Configuration (Expert): This Configuration screen offers more detailed routing selections with a matrix of "tick boxes" for assigning each input channel to an output channel. Inputs 1-6 have a High/Low switch, for running pre-amp level or speaker-level signals, and can be routed to any of the 8 Output channels. The Aux and Optical inputs also include their own routing selections to each of the 8 Outputs. Each of the 3 main pairs of input channels and the Aux channel have their own Input Sensitivity adjustment. Sensitivity adjustments include 2 methods; a slider and incremental up/down arrows for more detailed control.
- Equalizer: The Equalizer page allows each of the 8 Output
Channels to have its own 10-band equalization settings. Each channel in the
Channel Selector is color-coded and when selected, will display an EQ line
of the same color on the graph. A handy Equalizer On/Off switch lets you
compare affected and non-affected versions of the audio. The following
options are available for each of the 10 adjustable bands:
- Frequency: The frequency of each band can be freely selected and can range from 20 Hz to 20 kHz.
- Gain: A Gain fader allows each band to be boosted or lowered with a range of +12 dB to -12 dB.
- Q Factor: This setting determines how many frequencies around the main Frequency will be affected when boosted or lowered. Range is from 1.0 to 10.0 with the lower value producing a wider "spread" or Q factor. A setting of 10.0 will produce a very narrow band.
- Crossover: Each Output Channel can have its own crossover, if needed, with options for High-Pass, Band-Pass, and Low-Pass. The Cutoff frequency of each can be set between 16 Hz to 20 kHz, using either the Crossover fader or manually entered in the Cutoff Frequency box. The Slope of each filter can be selected with options of; 6-, 12-, 18-, 24-, 30-, 36-, 42-, and 48-dB/Octave.
- Time Alignment: The Time Alignment option allows you to set a delay time for each of the 8 Output Channels, if desired. Adjustments for each channel can be done in Milliseconds (Ms), Centimeters (Cm), or Inches (In) using the increment buttons for each. A graphic display depicting the car and speakers allows you to adjust the time delay by clicking and dragging the corresponding speaker icon. A Phase Invert button lets you change the polarity of any of the speakers from 0˚ to 180˚.
Presets: The FSP-8 features 4 DSP Memory Presets for saving your configurations. Presets can be saved and loaded from the corresponding icons at the top of the software screen. Presets can also be selected using the included wired remote control from the front of the vehicle.
FSP-8 Wired Remote Control: Included with the FSP-8 processor is the FSP-8 wired remote control that allows you to quickly and easily adjust the main settings and recall any of the 4 saved Presets. The remote control features a rotary/push dial for selection and a 2-line LCD display. The remote includes a 16.5' RS-485 cable that connects the remote and the processor.
- Power/Ground: A 4-pin Euroblock connector is provided for +12V battery power, ground, remote turn-on input, and remote turn-on output.
- Inputs: Inputs consist of 8 female RCA jacks, one for each of the 6 input channels and 2 Aux inputs, along with an optical digital input. All assignable to any of the Output jacks.
- Outputs: Output jacks consist of 8 female RCAs that can be assigned to any input.
- RS-485: This 6-pin RJ-25 jack is used to plug in the included wired remote control.
- PC-USB: This USB (Type-B, 2.0) is used to connect to a PC for configuring the DSP software.
- Types: (6) RCA, (2) Aux RCA, (1) Optical
- Low-Level Input Sensitivity (Analog/Aux): 1.2V - 4.9V
- High-Level Input Sensitivity (Analog/Aux): 4.8V - 20.6V
- Digital Input Supported Formats: Up to 24-bits / 192kHz
- Signal to Noise Ratio: -90dBA (analog input), -99dBA (optical)
- Types: (8) RCA
- Maximum Output Level (with 10kΩ): 3.4V
- Frequency Response (Crossover off/-3dB): 5kHz - 21kHz
- Harmonic Distortion (10kΩ @1kHz w/22kHz low-pass filter): 0.02%
- Gain Adjustment: 64 dB
- Crosstalk (4Ω @1kHz): -78dB
- Type: 10 Band graphic for each channel (each band fully customizable)
- Crossover Types: Adjustable High-Pass, Band-Pass, and Low-Pass (one per channel)
- Crossover Adjustment Range: 16Hz - 20kHz
- Latency Adjustment Range: 0 - 22ms per channel
- Latency Adjustment Steps: 0.1ms
- Phase Inverter: Yes
- Power Consumption Standby (Unit on, no signal): 0.7A (0.73A with remote)
- Power Consumption Off: < 50μA
- Dimensions: Width - 6.0", Height - 1.88", Depth - 8.55"
- Weight: 3 lbs.