About the Focal PS 165 F3E
The sound of flax
The sound of flax
In their pursuit of sonic excellence, Focal discovered that a flax woofer cone produces a dynamic sound that's worthy of their reputation. At half the weight of fiberglass, these flax fibers help create a very rigid yet lightweight cone that ensures accuracy and limits unwanted vibrations.
Tuned mass damper
Focal knows that control is of the utmost importance to accurate sound. Their patented surround uses the "tuned mass damper" technology used to enhance the structural stabilization of earthquake-resistant skyscrapers — seriously!! With greater control of the woofer cone, you'll gain smoother, more natural sound.
Awesome power handling
This Flax Evo Series PS 165 FE 3-way component speaker system combines 6-1/2" flax woofers, 3" midrange speakers, and Focal's celebrated M-profile inverted dome tweeters. The inverted dome design of the tweeters mimics woofer-style sound dispersion, distributing the high frequencies in a wide pattern to create an exceptionally natural soundstage. The aluminum frame provides an incredibly rigid and non-resonant platform for these superior components. These speakers will handle up to 80 watts RMS, so powering them with an amplifier will really enhance their dynamic range.
- component speaker system includes two 6-1/2" woofers, two 3" midrange speakers, two tweeters, and two crossovers
- flax woofer cone with "tuned mass damper" surround
- 3" flax midrange speaker
- aluminum/magnesium inverted dome tweeter
- external crossover with adjustable tweeter level
- 4-ohm impedance
- handles up to 80 watts RMS (160 watts peak)
- frequency response: 60-28,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 90.5 dB at 2.83 volts
- woofer top-mount depth: 3-1/16"
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # PS165F3E
What's in the box:
- Two PS 165 F3E woofers
- Two 3" Midrange
- Two TWFA1018 inverted dome tweeters (each has a 21" length of speaker wire attached)
- 2 Crossover networks
- 2 Woofer grilles
- 2 Woofer grille mounting rings
- 2 Midrange grilles
- 2 Midrange grille mounting rings
- 2 Tweeter grilles (installed)
- 2 Tweeter trim rings (installed)
- 2 OEM tweeter mounting rings
- 2 Tweeter angle mount cups
- 2 Woofer mounting gaskets
- 16 Speed clips
- Twelve 3/4" Screws
- Eight 1" Screws
- Owner's manual (English/ French/ German/ Italian/ Spanish/ Portuguese/ Dutch/ Polish/ Russian/ Chinese/ Korean/ Japanese)
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Focal PS 165 F3E
Features & specs
|Speaker Size||6 1/2|
|Tweeter Design||Inverted Dome|
|Woofer Surround||Butyl Rubber|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Sensitivity (1W at 1 meter)||N/A|
|Sensitivity at 2.83 volts||90.5|
|Frequency Response||60 - 28k Hz|
|Minimum RMS Wattage||---|
|Maximum RMS Wattage||80|
|Peak Power Handling (Watts)||160|
|Top-mount Depth (Inches)||3 1/16|
|Bottom-mount Depth (Inches)||N/A|
|Cutout Diameter or Length (inches)||5 5/8|
|Mounting Height (Inches)||0.442|
Woofer Size Classification: Some manufacturers, including Focal, call this size woofer a 6½". Because it requires a larger cutout than a standard 6½" speaker, Crutchfield has traditionally referred to this size woofer as a 6¾". Please enter your vehicle information to confirm fit.
Aluminum Basket: The woofers' cast aluminum baskets are rigid and non-magnetic.
Surround: Each woofer uses a butyl rubber surround, resistant to ultraviolet rays, temperature extremes, and humidity to add to the speaker's reliability and longevity.
Tweeters: The tweeters have inverted Aluminum/Magnesium domes, producing a broad sound stage. They can be surface or flush mounted using the included adapters. The angled surface mount housings can be positioned at 25° or 45°.
Note: When flush mounted, the tweeters are pressure fit into the opening, with nothing holding them from behind, so the cutout diameter is very important.
|Flush Mount||Angled Surface Mount|
|Frame Diameter||2.046"||2.07" x 2.15"|
Crossovers: Each crossover has screw terminal inputs and outputs that will accommodate bare wire or spade connectors up to 0.315" wide. (Speaker wire is not included with the system.) The output levels of the tweeters and midrange are adjustable; choose 0 dB or -3 dB. The crossover slope is 18 dB/octave and the crossover points are 600 Hz and 4 kHz.
- Width: 5⅜"
- Height: 1⅝"
- Depth: 4"
The Focal PS 165 F3E replaces these items
- flax and glass fiber 6-1/2" woofer and 3" midrange with butyl rubber surrounds
- 2" inverted dome tweeter
- power range: 6-80 watts RMS (160 watts peak)