About the Midland MicroMobile® MXT115VP3
The GMRS radio for hardcore off-roaders
The GMRS radio for hardcore off-roaders
Midland's MXT115VP3 radio bundle gives you everything you need to take their powerful MXT115 GMRS radio into the woods on your ATV or off-road vehicle. The MTX115 already has more range than traditional GMRS walkie-talkies, but this bundle adds an antenna that effectively doubles the radio's power. You'll also get a special cable and roll bar mount that will allow you to mount the radio on your ATV, UTV, truck, or Jeep.
With a full 15 watts of power and the powerful antenna, you'll enjoy remarkable range and clarity over open terrain. You'll be able to access 8 repeater channels and 15 high/low power channels with the easy-to-reach buttons, while 142 privacy codes make it unlikely that you'll trip over anyone else's transmissions. You can scan channels, too, so you won't miss anything if you don't want to. This 15-watt radio communicates with any other Midland GMRS radio, as well as most walkie-talkies.
Keep up with changing weather
It's essential to keep up with changing conditions in the field, so the MXT115 gives you 10 NOAA weather channels. If a front's rolling in, you'll be able to plan accordingly.
Clarity, control, and a charging USB
The external microphone ensures that you'll be heard clearly, while "silent mode" operation ensures keeps distracting beeps and tones out of the mix entirely. You'll also appreciate features like auto-squelch, monitor mode, keypad lock, an external speaker jack, digital volume controls, and a backlit high-contrast LCD that's easy to see, day or night. There's even a charging USB port, so you can keep your phone at the ready, too.
Note: This radio is not waterproof. Midland recommends that you avoid exposing this radio to moisture for extended periods.
- package includes:
- 15-watt GMRS base radio
- high-grade microphone
- mounting kit for ATVs, UTVs, and off-road vehicles
- upgraded antenna that effectively doubles the range (3 dB gain)
- 12-volt power adapter
- 8 repeater channels for increased range
- 15 high and low power channels
- 142 privacy codes
- channel scan to monitor radio activity
- controlled frequency synthesizer
- high-grade microphone
- silent operation quiets beeps and tones
- digital volume controls
- charging USB input
- external speaker jack
- backlit LCD display
- compatible with Midland (and most other) GMRS two-way radios
- FCC license required
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MXT115VP3
What's in the box:
- This bundle contains four individually packaged Midland items:
- MXT115 GMRS Radio:
- GMRS 2-Way radio
- Hand-held mic w/ 48" cord
- Mounting bracket (attached to radio)
- Lighter adaptor w/ 48" cord and fuse holder (Two 3-amp fuses inside holder
- one in-line and one spare)
- 6.5" Magnetic whip antenna w/ 19.7' cord
- Microphone holder
- Two 3/8" Phillips screws
- Two 2-1/2" hook and loop fastener strips
- Owner's manual
- Quick-start guide
- MXTA10 3dB Gain Antenna:
- 12.4" Antenna w/attached base
- 2mm Allen key
- MXTA8 Antenna Cord:
- 19.6" Antenna cord (terminated with SO239 connectors)
- MXTA6 Mounting Hardware:
- Mounting bracket w/integrated antenna mount
- Side-clamp for mounting bracket
- Four 6mm hex-head bolts
- 4 Nuts
- 4 Lock-washers
More details on the Midland MicroMobile® MXT115VP3
Overview: The Midland MXT115VP3 bundle contains an MXT115 2-way radio kit along with a 3dB gain antenna. The MXT115 is a GMRS (General Mobile Radio Service) two-way radio with a broadcast range of up to three times that of standard, hand-held, two-way radios (walkie talkies) providing a full 15 watts of power for a maximum operational range of up to 50 miles. Key features include: 15 high power GMRS channels, 8 repeater channels for increased range, 142 privacy codes, 10 NOAA weather channels, Auto channel-scan, and includes a hand-held PTT (push to talk) microphone. The MXT115 is compatible with all Midland and most other brands of GMRS radios. Its compact and durable housing can be mounted under a dashboard or glove box using the included mounting hardware.
Note: Operation of a GMRS radio requires an FCC license.
3dB Gain Antenna: The MXT115VP3 bundle includes both the standard 6.5" magnetic antenna that normally comes with the MXT115, as well as an additional 12.4" 3dB gain antenna, which can double the range over the standard antenna. The 3dB gain antenna includes mounting hardware designed to clamp onto a roll-bar or equipment rack tubing. The bracket includes an NMO threaded connector to mount the antenna and an SO239 connector for attaching the antenna cable.
Range: With 15 watts of power, the MXT115 can provide exceptional communication range. The following is an estimated range guide:
- Maximum distance is up to 50 miles line of sight with no obstructions.
- 10 - 15 miles with partially obstructed line of sight (trees, small hills, etc).
- 5 - 10 miles with major obstructions to line of sight (buildings, larger hills, mountains, etc).
Channels: The MXT115 provides 15 GMRS channels that can be selected manually or with the Auto-scan mode that continuously scans all 15 available channels for activity. It also includes a Monitor Mode that lets you check for activity on the currently selected channel. This mode also lets you adjust the volume of the radio if you're not receiving a signal from an assigned transmitter. The MXT115 has the ability to access up to 8 repeater channels which can significantly increase the radio's range and coverage area.
NOAA Weather Radio: Also included with the 2-way radio is the NOAA Weather Radio function, which enables the user to receive weather reports from designated NOAA stations. The NOAA Weather Scan function allows you to scan all 10 NOAA Weather Service channels and will lock on to the strongest channel in your area. A Weather Alert function can be set which will sound a siren when a Weather Alert goes off.
Squelch and Privacy: Squelch is the ability of a transmitter/receiver to suppress or mute the channel if the signal level weakens enough. This helps keep out unwanted channel noise and stray signals from other devices, especially when there's no signal being sent from a transmitting device. The MXT115 has adjustable Squelch sensitivity, with a level of 00 being the most sensitive allowing the squelch to open on very weak signals and a maximum setting of 09 which requires a very strong signal to open the squelch. The radio also features Privacy Codes via CTCSS (Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System) and DCS (Digitally Coded Squelch). These systems allow several users to share the same channel without disturbing each other. When CTCSS or DCS is enabled for a selected channel, the channel is muted to all incoming signals unless they carry the correct CTCSS or DCS tone. When a transmission with the correct tone is received, the mute is lifted and the voice audio can be heard. The MXT115 has 142 total Privacy Codes, 38 CTCSS and 104 DCS.
Menus: The following are the 8 menu options available on the MXT115:
- Pt: Privacy Tones. This option lets you set the CTCSS and DCS Privacy Codes.
- Pr: Transmit Power Level. Changes the transmitting power depending on the transmitting/receiving range. Options are Hi and Lo.
- Sq: Adjusts the Squelch sensitivity.
- rb: Roger Beep. This function will produce a confirmation beep when the mic PTT button is released, letting other users know your transmission is complete.
- CA: Call Alert Tone. Alerts you when a transmission comes in. Five tones are available.
- bP: Silent Operation. This option enables/disables the audible "beep" tones while operating the radio.
- rP: Repeater Channels. This option allows you to select a Repeater channel if necessary.
- db: Display Background. The background color of the LCD can be changed.
- LCD: Information display.
- On/Off Volume
- Microphone Jack: An RJ11 port is provided for plugging in the included PTT (push to talk) hand-held mic.
- USB: A front panel USB port is provided for charging portable devices.
- Menu: Accesses the main menu.
- Weather: Accesses the Weather mode.
- Call/Lock: Pressing this will send a call signal and a long press will lock the keypad.
- Monitor/Scan: Pressing will enter scan mode, a long press enters monitor mode.
- TX: Transmitting Icon. Indicates if the radio is transmitting to another user.
- Monitor Icon: Indicates when the radio is in Monitor mode.
- Key Lock Icon: A padlock icon indicates if Key Lock function is enabled, preventing accidental changing of the radios settings.
- NOAA Weather Band Icon: Indicates when the radio is in the Weather Band mode.
- DCS Icon: Indicates a Digitally Coded Squelch Privacy Code has been enabled for the currently selected channel.
- Scanning Icon: Indicates whether the Auto-Scan feature is active.
- RP Repeater Icon: Shows the selected transmit/receive repeater channel.
- CTCSS Icon: Indicates a Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System Code has been enabled for the currently selected channel.
- Signal Strength: Displays the strength of the current transmit or receive signal.
- H L Transmit Power Level Icon: Shows the currently selected transmit power setting (Hi or Lo).
- RX Receiving Icon: Indicates the radio is receiving a transmission from another user.
- PTT: Push-to-talk. This activates a transmission when pressed.
- Channel Up/Down: These two buttons cycle through different channels.
- ANT Jack: SO-239 UHF connector for the included external antenna.
- EXT SP Jack: A 3.5 mm jack is provided for an optional external speaker. The speaker must be at least 8 Ohms and rated for 4.0 watts.
- Power Socket: An 8" pigtail with a 2-pin Molex connector plugs into the provided 12 VDC lighter socket adaptor.
- Transmitting Power: 15 W
- GMRS Channels: 15
- Privacy Codes: 142
- Repeater Channels: 8
- NOAA Weather Channels: 10
- Antenna (standard): 6.5" magnetic mount w/ 19.7' cable
- 3dB Gain Antenna: 12.4" with NMO connector base
- Accessories: Mounting bracket
- Dimensions: Width - 4.50", Height - 1.10", Depth - 5.21"
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked