About the Midland WR400
A weather radio for all of North America
A weather radio for all of North America
The Midland WR400 can keep you apprised of weather conditions both in the United States and in Canada. The radio receives weather updates either from NOAA or Environment Canada, depending on your location. Color-coded indicators let you know the severity of the threat. You can also choose between an 85 dB alarm, LED flasher, or voice alert.
Stay fully informed with location-specific alerts
The WR400 receives seven weather channels from NOAA or Environment Canada. These channels carry flood, tornado, and thunderstorm alerts.
You can also program the WR400 to receive SAME (Specific Area Message Encoding), so you get all the weather alerts relevant to your area. You can even program up to 25 counties or provinces into the radio's memory for quick recall.
The WR400 features a USB charging port for your smartphone or tablet. As long as your radio's connected to an AC outlet, your device will recharge. When the lights go out, the radio itself can keep working, powered by 4 "AA” batteries (available separately).
You can connect an external antenna for stronger reception. There's also a jack for a visual alert light (not included). Other helpful features include a large, easy-to-read time display and dual programmable alarms with snooze buttons.
- AM/FM weather alert radio
- receives 7 NOAA or Environment Canada weather channels with flood, tornado, and thunderstorm alerts
- store up to 10 different previously received alerts
- SAME (Specific Area Message Encoding) for EAS, NOAA, and Environment Canada weather radio
- 25-county/provinces memory system
- selectable 85 dB siren, voice alert, or LED flasher
- color-coded alert level indicators
- stores up to 10 previously received alerts
- telescoping antenna
- backlit LCD display
- digital clock with dual alarm and snooze
- input jack for external antenna (not included)
- jack for visual alert light (not included)
- USB charging port for smartphones and tablets
- AC power adapter
- takes 4 "AA" batteries for power backup (available separately)
- 7-5/16"W x 2-3/8"H x 5-3/8"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # WR400
What's in the box:
- AC power adaptor (5V / 1500ma) w/ 6.5' cord
- Owner's manual
Midland WR400 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Midland WR400
Overview: The Midland WR400 is an All Hazards Alert Weather Radio with S.A.M.E. that alerts you to over 80 kinds of weather hazards and emergencies. When a severe weather watch or warning is issued by the National Weather Service, the WR400 automatically alerts you, giving you the seconds you need to seek shelter. It also includes an AM/FM radio, dual alarm clock, color-coded alert level warnings, a loud alert siren, and a USB charging port.
- All Hazards: All Hazards means this radio is one of the fastest, most reliable means of receiving information on life threatening weather such as tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, ice storms as well as civil emergencies such as Amber alerts, hazardous explosions, fires and chemical spills. This information is broadcast 24 hours a day, 7 days a week so you can stay informed no matter what time of day it is.
- S.A.M.E.: The WR400 also has S.A.M.E. technology (Specific Area Message Encoding). With S.A.M.E. you can screen out unwanted broadcasts and receive only the alerts that are specifically targeted to your area. The WR400 comes preprogrammed to receive weather and hazard alert transmissions for all S.A.M.E. codes within range of the transmitter of the selected channel. The radio can be programmed to receive alerts just for your surrounding counties or provinces, with up to 25 storable locations.
Weather-Band Channels: The Midland WR400 Weather Radio supports all 7 NOAA / Environment Canada Weather Channels.
|Weather Radio Channel Presets||Broadcast Frequency (MHz)|
Reception: The National Weather Service operates a system of weather and hazard alert broadcasts covering a large area of the United States. Currently, only a few areas aren't covered. Typical broadcasts are within reception distance of 25-50 miles of the weather station. The WR400 weather radio can receive broadcasts from up to 50 miles away, depending on terrain, weather, etc.
Selectable Alerts: You can select how the WR400 will alert you, either through the backlit LCD screen with the Display option, or through the built-in speaker with Voice or Tone.
- Display: When the Display alert type is chosen, only a text alert will scroll on the display. There will be no audible alarm.
- Voice: When the Voice alert type is chosen, the alert tone will sound for 8 seconds, then you will hear the voice of the weather broadcast for 3 minutes.
- Tone: When the Tone alert type is chosen, the alert tone will sound for 3 minutes, or until you press any button.
The WR400 includes 3 color-coded front panel indicators that will show the priority of the alert coming in: Advisory - yellow, Watch - orange, and Warning - red. The LCD display will read "Check Reception" if the radio doesn't receive an alert for 10 days. The radio can also store up to 10 different alerts in its memory so that if more than one alert comes in, all of them can be reviewed.
AM/FM Radio: The built-in AM/FM radio can be used without interrupting the weather radio functions. If an alert is received while listening to AM or FM, the unit will automatically switch over to the weather radio alert. The WR400 has 4 AM and 4 FM preset memory locations for stored stations, and also includes 2 programmable alarms which can be set to wake with either the AM/FM radio or a "buzzer" tone. The radio also includes a Snooze button on the front panel.
Backlit LCD: The Midland WR400 weather alert radio features a backlit LCD with blue alphanumeric text on a black background.
Telescopic Antenna: The Midland WR400 is equipped with a 23" telescopic antenna that can swivel/rotate and includes an RCA jack for an optional external antenna.
USB: A USB (Type-A) on the side of the radio is provided for charging portable devices. The USB port can supply 5V /1A maximum draw.
Headphones: The rear panel of the radio includes an 1/8" stereo jack for optional headphones.
AC Power w/ Battery Backup: The Midland WR400 weather alert radio includes an external AC power adapter, that must be plugged into an AC wall outlet or surge protector, and uses 4 "AA" batteries (not included) for emergency power back-up.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?